Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
When that kind of thing happens I always wonder what happened that made the owner/property manager say no to an extra $300 a year and the hassle of trying to make everyone get rid of their pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CongoJack posted:

When that kind of thing happens I always wonder what happened that made the owner/property manager say no to an extra $300 a year and the hassle of trying to make everyone get rid of their pets.

:10bux: says it's a shakedown to get that big deposit that's in the lease but was never collected

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Devor posted:

:10bux: says it's a shakedown to get that big deposit that's in the lease but was never collected
I will bet overreaction to a tenant who trashed their place, blamed it on a dog, and is judgment-proof for damages

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Never underestimate the capacity for people to be power tripping assholes when it literally costs them money to be so.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I remember when cspam had a thread where people would post screenshots from landlord forums and it totally destroyed any ability in me to assume the best of anyone making money off property.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I ANAL, If the manager who said "oh no it's fine just give me the $25" didn't actually write that down for you, I suspect you could get a surprise "oh hey you didn't tell us about a second cat that'll be one billion dollars, guess we'll just keep the security instead" regardless of what the manager said.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Volmarias posted:

I ANAL, If the manager who said "oh no it's fine just give me the $25" didn't actually write that down for you, I suspect you could get a surprise "oh hey you didn't tell us about a second cat that'll be one billion dollars, guess we'll just keep the security instead" regardless of what the manager said.

The $25 is lumped in with my rent. My rent is $1225, and I pay them $1250.

I haven't gotten any notices myself yet, so I'm wondering if my brother's friend pissed them off on his own?

Oh and the story I was given was that they were banning just cats, not pets in general lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Annath posted:

The $25 is lumped in with my rent. My rent is $1225, and I pay them $1250.

Sure, but the lease portion you posted specifically said $25 per pet, not $25 per species. It's not that you aren't paying $25, it's that you aren't paying $50, and your pet security is short $500. Oh no, months of late fees that will magically appear unless a lawyer makes them disappear by their mere presence.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 2, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
How would they know when you got the second cat?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In my experience landlords will settle issues at a discount if they can be sure the issue is solved

Some times

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

In my experience landlords will settle issues at a discount if they can be sure the issue is solved

Some times

"You say 'I'm all paid up", I say "You owe me $1000," let's meet somewhere in the middle! How about $500 over what is fairly mine?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volmarias posted:

"You say 'I'm all paid up", I say "You owe me $1000," let's meet somewhere in the middle! How about $500 over what is fairly mine?"

Right and then charge your client 600$ for the work of cutting what they owe in half

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Not A Lawyer, but isn't this one of those situations that are a) pretty clearly stated in a legally-binding document, but b) even if you fight and win, you'll lose?

Not necessarily. There's alot of factors, and several ways to skin this particular cat (pun intended)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

I will bet overreaction to a tenant who trashed their place, blamed it on a dog, and is judgment-proof for damages

$$

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I seem to remember a goon once write a "grt divorced right" guide, is that still around?

Anyway, my best friend is going through some poo poo rn and might not have perspective so I am asking in her stead. It's all I can do, being law-illiterate, not american and 6000km away.

She's had enough of her husband's immaturity, lazyness, passive aggression, snoring and heavy drinking.

They live together, he's not on the lease.

Question 1 - She wants him out of the house. What's the cleanest, most surefire way to get him out of the house forever, safely? He's never been violent, but why risk it? Go to a hotel and call the cops to do it? Change the locks while he's out?

I've read enough discussions about abused women to know it has to be swift and final, but how can she cover her rear end?

Question 2 - This is in DC, with common property. There's 15k or so of equipment she bought for him. It's on her card so she can prove it. What will happen with this?

Question 3 - He's on a green card and we suspect he'll skip town to a third country as soon as borders are open. We dont think an amicable divorce is possible. Anything she can do to expedite the legal processes?

Thanks in advance even if it's just pointing me to another thread/resource.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

She should be getting a lawyer.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Kalman posted:

Obvs.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Kalman posted:

No, seriously. Not touching that, she should get a lawyer. Local bar association and go from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dawncloack posted:

She's had enough of her husband's immaturity, lazyness, passive aggression, snoring and heavy drinking.

You can tell Emily that I’m not going anywhere, that equipment is mine, and I’ll sign the divorce papers over my cold dead body

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

You can tell Emily that I’m not going anywhere, that equipment is mine, and I’ll sign the divorce papers over my cold dead body

Emily said the equipment smells of you so yeah, she's gonna return it. [/joke]

Everyone else:
I understand, too sensitive a topic that giving advice is probably bad. Thanks anyway. She's lawyering up.
Thanks anyway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dawncloack posted:

, too sensitive a topic

Rather, too specific and too consequential. This is exactly why people hire lawyers who know the subject matter and the law of the jurisdiction and locality, and exactly why they are paid well.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Rather, too specific and too consequential. This is exactly why people hire lawyers who know the subject matter and the law of the jurisdiction and locality, and exactly why they are paid well.

Yeah. Thanks!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol some poor guy is gonna come home to his locks changed

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What's the differences between having your assets controlled via a trust vs PoA, or court appointed guardian? What are some other ways this happen? Receivership is for business?

Does they all do different things? Is there overlap?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

toplitzin posted:

What's the differences between having your assets controlled via a trust vs PoA, or court appointed guardian? What are some other ways this happen? Receivership is for business?

The full answer would be a textbook in each state. But basically a trust is (generally) a separate legal entity that owns property, formed by a grantor who donates property to the trust, which is managed by a trustee for the benefit of beneficiaries.

A poa is a document granting a person the power to do whatever the poa says, up to anything legally binding, on behalf of another person.

A court appointed guardian can be all sorts of things with all different kinds of powers depending on the type of guardianship, state laws, and what the court has ordered.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

Shopping cart:

A trust is where you take all your stuff out of your shopping cart and put all your stuff into a different shopping cart, and someone pushes the new shopping cart. You can be the one that pushes it, but its not in your cart anymore. You do this so that you don't own your stuff anymore.

A Power of Attorney is where your stuff stays in your shopping cart, but you let someone else push it. You do this because you are unable to push the cart anymore.

A Court Appointed Guardianship, and a Receivership is where the Court picks someone to push your cart around for you. The main distinction is the reason for the picking of a new person. Guardianship is because you're too young, or mentally unable to push your own cart. Receivership is because you (or you and whoever else you co-own the cart with) can't be trusted to push the cart.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(If you are the trustee and the beneficiary the trust may be invalid in some circumstances)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Shopping cart:

A trust is where you take all your stuff out of your shopping cart and put all your stuff into a different shopping cart, and someone pushes the new shopping cart. You can be the one that pushes it, but its not in your cart anymore. You do this so that you don't own your stuff anymore.

A Power of Attorney is where your stuff stays in your shopping cart, but you let someone else push it. You do this because you are unable to push the cart anymore.

A Court Appointed Guardianship, and a Receivership is where the Court picks someone to push your cart around for you. The main distinction is the reason for the picking of a new person. Guardianship is because you're too young, or mentally unable to push your own cart. Receivership is because you (or you and whoever else you co-own the cart with) can't be trusted to push the cart.

If you go to law school, you'll be wishing you could push a cart, and sleep under a bridge.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Shopping cart:

Now explain fiduciary duty!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Organza Quiz posted:

Imagine four shopping carts on the edge of a cliff.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Organza Quiz posted:

You get paid a commission if certain items get selected to go into the cart, and you get in trouble if you choose the items you get commission on going into the cart without good reason, so you have to tell the person that you get a commission on those items, but you have an advanced degree so you find a way to justify the items you get a commission on being the ones in the cart.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

euphronius posted:

(If you are the trustee and the beneficiary the trust may be invalid in some circumstances)

Would this be for something like "oh poo poo, i won the lotto. I am calling my lawyer and having the trust sign the wining ticket because i don't want to be a public figure with my picture and "THIS DUDE JSUT WON 705 MILLION!" plastered everywhere"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I want the entirety of the law explained using shopping cart analogies. I'm looking forward to murder.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cemetry Gator posted:

I want the entirety of the law explained using shopping cart analogies. I'm looking forward to murder.

You're pushing your shopping cart and I shoot you.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

blarzgh posted:

Shopping cart:

Does this still apply if the shopping cart has a gold fringe?

(J/k, thanks for the informative post)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What legal quagmire does the one spastic wheel on a shopping cart represent? Is that tree law???

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What legal quagmire does the one spastic wheel on a shopping cart represent? Is that tree law???

That's a sovcit wheel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Free-wheelin’ on the land, nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Would this be for something like "oh poo poo, i won the lotto. I am calling my lawyer and having the trust sign the wining ticket because i don't want to be a public figure with my picture and "THIS DUDE JSUT WON 705 MILLION!" plastered everywhere"

Depends who the beneficiary is

And the trustee

(You would be the settlor in this scenario )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

JohnCompany posted:

You're pushing your shopping cart and I shoot you.

This got a legitimate spit take out of me