Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Zesty posted:

Opened the game for the first time in a year for a screenshot.

Cyborg Beep with a Falling Sun is peak Kenshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Everyone knows the toughest badasses have undergone countless unspeakable traumas. This makes you strong and cool, and not an unreliable, nervous wreck of a person with severe paranoia and trust issues.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's why you should do the torso start

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I did this morning was line up my crossbow squad outside the Tower of Abuse, drag the inhabitants out one by one and massacre them, then pick up Screamer and Plonk. I can't seem to attack them while they're actively in the repair beds but I can while they're free, so I think i'm gonna take them back to base, throw them in prisoner cages, give them refitted Jittes so they have high melee defense, and use them as sparring partners until everyone has decent stats and skills.

Trip report: this turns out to be a pretty good way to train dodge and toughness because they get sweep aoes with the jittes, but not a good way to train martial arts so much due to the "attack slot" issue. Still, survivability helps!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

litany of gulps posted:

Being actively eaten, at least according to years of reading this thread, is supposed to be the fastest way to boost toughness. String up the prospect on a fogman pole, let them get chewed on, then rescue them. I've never personally tried it, though. Fogmen skeeve me out, plus messing around in the foglands always escalates out of control faster than you expect.

This is wrong now I'm pretty sure I've confirmed.

The fastest way to boost toughness is to put on heavy armor (stolen holy plate works fine), go to skinner's roam, find a roving horde of like forty hungry bandits, let them beat the poo poo out of you, then repeatedly stand up again instead of playing dead while they're nearby.

The bonus XP for standing up is calculated off of number of enemies nearby, and bandits won't kill you, just take your food and leave you crippled. I got a new character's toughness up to over 50 this way in a few minutes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Getting the poo poo kicked out of you by bandits mostly wielding blunt weapons is very safe and effective yeah, but getting limbs ripped off on a fogman pole is very fast and lets you slap on sweet new robot limbs. Just be careful about bleeding out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What's the range on mounted crossbows and harpoon turrets? Not clear where my fields of fire coverage is.

Also what sort of bolts do the turrets use

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 28, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

turret ammo is magic, free and unlimited

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Saying goodbye to my latest hideout, the location was too good to be true.

On a mesa on the border between The Crags and The Pits. A single iron deposit, all ores at max richness for the drills. Insanely defensible as there is only a single ramp up. The downsides being zero fertility and low wind power. Not destined to be an industrial powerhouse so all those resources weren't much use.

The biggest issue was pathing being a complete nightmare. My crew of bug men constantly getting stuck in walls. Mysterious skeleton bandits appearing in the middle of the base through some sort of teleporter mishap. The first barricade I had to rebuild as the lowest tier wall because if there was standing space up there people would get shoved around in fights until they warped up there. Raid announcements were plentiful but they often times would just fail out completely because the attackers got lost on the way. Even my runner coming back home had to be led by baby steps because he would constantly give up on his move orders. All the imports and debug commands couldn't save it. Gonna stick to wide open terrain from now on.

And finally a question for the experts: I've been rescuing bug men from slavers by picking the locks then carrying them out of town. I've never had one join me this way, do they actually need to clear the distance on their own power or am I just getting unlucky with the random join chance?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

BrainMeats posted:

And finally a question for the experts: I've been rescuing bug men from slavers by picking the locks then carrying them out of town. I've never had one join me this way, do they actually need to clear the distance on their own power or am I just getting unlucky with the random join chance?

I think you can carry slaves out and then they walk a bit and trigger some dialogue to join you. I freed a lot of slaves and I don’t think any Hivers triggered that way. All my Hivers came from the lost drone recruitment.

You could buy the bug men as slaves, free them, then attack?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

Soiled Meat

space uncle posted:

You could buy the bug men as slaves, free them, then attack?

I am attacked on sight at all major slave retailers.

My most reliable method of getting new recruits has just been to bash down the front door and beat down anyone who objects to me opening all the cages. Free slaves grab a sword and follow my squad out of town and then reliably trigger the join/run decision. Works great with raiding holy mines and farms but they don't keep bugs there and humans aren't allowed in my gang. With the UC slave camps I'm worried about knocking down the slavemaster and triggering a state change.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I thought picking a slave up broke the join script or something? I stopped running off with them a long time ago though so maybe not.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In my experience, the slaves that you can recruit are the ones who start following you after you bust then out. Once you've walked far enough away from danger, they'll start a dialogue with an option to join.

This is random though since some freed slaves will just thank you and leave, while others immediately bolt for freedom or refuse to run away once released from their cage.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

I thought picking a slave up broke the join script or something? I stopped running off with them a long time ago though so maybe not.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm seeing. Carried a promising soldier drone recruit out of Rebirth and put him in bed at the safe house to the north. He got up and immediately ran back to prison for a beat down. Carried him out again and took him a different direction in case he was just pathing through it. Followed him until he got in a fight with some starving bandits and knocked out. Carried him back to the hub and put him in bed, once he woke up he ran north back to the Holy Nation. I'm sure he's doing fine now wherever he ended up.

Same thing with people I've carried out of the UC slave camps. Set them down and they just bolt over the horizon, if they make it that far.

Just gotta bring in the heavies and clear the path for them out the front door.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nah, that dudes a lost cause. He provides service to Okran.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It happens to me a lot that whatever script needs to be run upon freeing slaves doesn't run correctly, i.e. you lead them a good distance away and they just keep following you without talking, but if I save and reload it seems to kick it started.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

moot the hopple posted:

In my experience, the slaves that you can recruit are the ones who start following you after you bust then out. Once you've walked far enough away from danger, they'll start a dialogue with an option to join.

This is random though since some freed slaves will just thank you and leave, while others immediately bolt for freedom or refuse to run away once released from their cage.

The mechanics behind this are pretty simple. The guys following you run a script with a fixed chance to play certain dialogue trees after you leave the general area of the settlement you freed them from. Depending on which number is rolled they join or gently caress off.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FrickenMoron posted:

The mechanics behind this are pretty simple. The guys following you run a script with a fixed chance to play certain dialogue trees after you leave the general area of the settlement you freed them from. Depending on which number is rolled they join or gently caress off.

Also, like everything else, there's the other simple (but unpredictable/inconsistent) test of whether the script bugs out for some incidental reason.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It breaks a lot in my experience, and they just follow you without ever doing their bit of dialogue and deciding to join or not.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Just enjoy the new friends

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Beep is now about level 80 martial arts, had brained a pack bull with a single kick and can 1 v 1 literally anything I’ve encountered and punch people’s limbs off with ease.

Soon beeps fist will know all of the faction leaders of kenshi

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played 20 minutes, running around with a stick, naked, no clue what I was supposed to do.
Got ambushed and then sloooooooowly bled out.

Cool.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You pretty much nailed it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that sounds about right

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My brain worms refuse to engage with any game that doesn't have objectives. What are some cool things that can be achieved that could work as goals?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

taking down the holy nation, turning in the phoenix in order to get the unique Shek recruit

there's also actually a "final boss" of the game, down in the ashlands. There's no end credits when you kill him or anything but he's clearly the final challenge

there's also completing the tech tree (which will require materials you need to go ruin-diving for), wiping out minor factions like the dust bandits and sand ninjas, meeting (+defeating) special major lore characters that aren't tied to the big empires like the armor king, the bugmaster, the fishman king, tin-fist, the hive princesses

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

lunar detritus posted:

My brain worms refuse to engage with any game that doesn't have objectives. What are some cool things that can be achieved that could work as goals?

"beat up entire nations of assholes, and feed their rear end in a top hat king to your dog"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Abolish slavery by crushing all the slave traders into a fine paste

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get every stat to 100 :smuggo:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rebuild Hub to it's former glory

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KirbyKhan posted:

Rebuild Hub to it's former glory

sadly only really possible with mods

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Hub sucks anyways, terrible location overall.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey, he asked for goals. Honestly he can mod in a goal. What town would you rebuild? Mourn? Like a scrub?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

come to the Fight Gulch and rebuild Endin, you loving cowards

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

KirbyKhan posted:

Hey, he asked for goals. Honestly he can mod in a goal. What town would you rebuild? Mourn? Like a scrub?

Build your own town, preferably in the far southeast. Many nice neighbors that come to visit you.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
My goal is usually to steal all the drugs out of the swamp and try to sell it for big money somewhere far away. I've never really pulled it off, always a cascade of horror

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Manage to actually recruit that one Southern Hive dude that's being held in United Cities Supermax before he despawns :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So there's no way to keep my weaponsmith from putting his personal polearm into storage is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So there's no way to keep my weaponsmith from putting his personal polearm into storage is there

I think if you put it in his backpack then he won't.