Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah idgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

how does airbag jacket know to inflate? like do you have a ripcord attached to the bike that pulls it when you fall off?

this would be hilarious when you inevitably forget to take it off after a ride and turn into a giant golf ball as you step away from the bike

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
code:
if (gforce => bad && subscribed) {
    deployAirbag()
} else {
   alert('sorry, your subscription has ended. do you wish to renew?')
}

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
wasnt the patent to the seatbelt made free?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Real hurthling! posted:

how does airbag jacket know to inflate? like do you have a ripcord attached to the bike that pulls it when you fall off?
does it wait until after your torso takes extreme g's?
idgi

a lot have tethers, some of the high end ones do accelerometer tricks

Chard posted:

this would be hilarious when you inevitably forget to take it off after a ride and turn into a giant golf ball as you step away from the bike

this is basically a rite of passage yes

you definitely can purchase refills for them.

airbag jackets are extremely good and can save your life or keep you out of a wheelchair. its the next bit of bike gear i'm buying.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

oh, i misread and thought this was something that did not already exist; that's actually really cool! one of my uncles is basically all titanium from ribs to knee after wrecking bikes multiple times, having a jacket like that might have saved him a lot of pain

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Radirot posted:

wasnt the patent to the seatbelt made free?

yes. By nice Swedes

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/265-why-volvo-gave-away-the-patent-for-their-most-important-invention

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah you can even just get the airbag part as a vest to wear over your regular jacket.

gold wings have this hilarious looking airbag setup too

(not meant to keep you 100% safe, just to stop you from going over the bars and you fall off the side instead)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah you can even just get the airbag part as a vest to wear over your regular jacket.

(not meant to keep you 100% safe, just to stop you from going over the bars and you fall off the side instead)

that is some weird cronenberg poo poo here.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

that thing got a pussy in it

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Jonny 290 posted:

Did it have to be pink?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1387821634279514115

death to the mouse

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

"Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called 'moral value' of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements."
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

This is a hilarious quote, because Alpha Centauri stole a massive amount of video footage from the movie Baraka to use in its world wonder cutscenes. Totally uncredited.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

i am harry posted:

This is a hilarious quote, because Alpha Centauri stole a massive amount of video footage from the movie Baraka to use in its world wonder cutscenes. Totally uncredited.

It was that Datajack bitch we swear!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"Here's where things get criminally weird. Disney argued that when they bought out Lucas, Fox, etc, they acquired their assets, but not their liabilities. In other words, they'd acquired the right to sell Foster's work, but not the obligation to pay him when they did. "

I bought all the good things, and none of the bad things! I swear!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Delta-Wye posted:

"Here's where things get criminally weird. Disney argued that when they bought out Lucas, Fox, etc, they acquired their assets, but not their liabilities. In other words, they'd acquired the right to sell Foster's work, but not the obligation to pay him when they did. "

"I talked to my uncle at Nintendo, and when he wasn't busy kissing his super model girlfriend he told me that he talked to the author and the author actually said it was ok, and not to worry about contacting him for royalties. I swear! but not under oath in a court of law

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Revoke the corporate charter.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Delta-Wye posted:

This is how Jeff did the asset purchase of the sa forums btw

Not that it excuses Disney or fox but unfortunately this is very typical and often fucks over third party contractors where the seller stiffs them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This is how Jeff did the asset purchase of the sa forums btw

Not that it excuses Disney or fox but unfortunately this is very typical and often fucks over third party contractors where the seller stiffs them

They're not doing that though. They're actively selling his work and not paying him the royalties owed for new sales. Jeff just didn't buy the debts Lowtax ran up, if he was still publishing new articles for the front page and telling authors the bill is on Lowtax it would be more similar.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Homocow posted:

these "you might die if you don't pay your subscription" gadgets are all lawsuits waiting to happen

can't sue if you're dead

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Delta-Wye posted:

Seems like a possible corporate strategy. Buy a bunch of IPs, sell them to a shell corporation that can use them and not have to pay the royalties

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

copyright is such a pile of horse poo poo. people defend it saying it gets writers paid but this example clearly demonstrates that copyrights only real purpose is to give corporations control over our culture

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Real hurthling! posted:

does it wait until after your torso takes extreme g's?
idgi
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LivelyConfusedAuklet-mobile.mp4

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
bike is hosed

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
bike is hosed

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
All bike and no gently caress makes jack a dull boy.
All bike and no fuckmakes jack a dull boy.
All bike and no gently caress makes jack a dell boy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Nastier Nate posted:

Seems like a possible corporate strategy. Buy a bunch of IPs, sell them to a shell corporation that can use them and not have to pay the royalties

thats kinda how hollywood accounting works, except they are selling licenses instead between the shell corporations for more than the profit so that there is no money left over for the creators

Rutibex posted:

copyright is such a pile of horse poo poo. people defend it saying it gets writers paid but this example clearly demonstrates that copyrights only real purpose is to give corporations control over our culture

its why we need statutory licenses for every copyright, only way out of this hole we put ourselves in

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All straight bike and no gently caress makes bike do a Wheelie

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

all you ever need to know about disney fans is they dont give a poo poo about this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

all you ever need to know about disney fans is they dont give a poo poo about this

Depends on what you mean by disney fans. You can like the poo poo they put out and still want, vote, and fight to change those laws.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FFT posted:

bike is hosed

These little accelerometer boards are so cool, i loving love them. I built an antenna rotator that uses an Arduino down on the bench for compute power and then an accelerometer board bolted to the antenna that gives positioning feedback, chucked the serial data over a 100 foot CAT5 cable. After calibration they are ridiculously accurate, no moving parts, just wonderful.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1388594078837878788

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

everything old is new again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

due to fan outrage Disney has already settled that one guy’s suits and are paying him per the lawsuits. sounds like it’s working, just need to keep the pressure up for other writers

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Um excuse me this isn't the "most awesome cyberpunk dystopia" thread

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aphid_licker posted:

it's also that, tbh :ssh: Anyway, We need more stories and games in a pigeonpunk setting.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
tesla knew whats up

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

aphid_licker posted:

fine. the next big autonomous car is going to use a battery of trained pigeons for control instead of ai and sensor arrays. it's designed so you just throw out the pigeon unit after the included food and water are consumed and replace it at a gas station. mass pigeon rearing becomes the new crypto mining. there's dumpsters of stinking dead pigeons everywhere

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Depends on what you mean by disney fans. You can like the poo poo they put out and still want, vote, and fight to change those laws.

yeah I suppose it does I mean the people crying about the parks reopening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn haver posted:

fine. the next big autonomous car is going to use a battery of trained pigeons for control instead of ai and sensor arrays. it's designed so you just throw out the pigeon unit after the included food and water are consumed and replace it at a gas station. mass pigeon rearing becomes the new crypto mining. there's dumpsters of stinking dead pigeons everywhere

:hmmyes: now thats pigeonpunk