Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Not to put a damper on it, but he might be "calm" because he's trying to minimize his activity after getting his rear end kicked by a dog two days in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup that lizard may have internal injuries that are preventing it from escaping, maybe even a brain injury I dunno. Maybe it's just a very weird lizard but brace yourself for finding it inexplicably dead at some point.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Leperflesh posted:

Yup that lizard may have internal injuries that are preventing it from escaping, maybe even a brain injury I dunno. Maybe it's just a very weird lizard but brace yourself for finding it inexplicably dead at some point.

Well that was prescient. I went to check on him and this second round with the dog did him in... there was a new puncture wound around his lungs that looked like it had been bleeding pretty badly. Found the little guy dead inside his paper towel tube shelter.

RIP my little friend, you were too chill and friendly for this world. Why did you come back to our yard? :(

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 15, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone know any reputable spotted python breeders?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hakarne posted:

Well that was prescient. I went to check on him and this second round with the dog did him in... there was a new puncture wound around his lungs that looked like it had been bleeding pretty badly. Found the little guy dead inside his paper towel tube shelter.

RIP my little friend, you were too chill and friendly for this world. Why did you come back to our yard? :(

he wasn’t chill dude, he was dying- probably in excruciating, disorienting pain

wild animals are extremely rarely supposed to be chill

Edit: just get yourself a herbivorous gecko that eats powder food, or a leopard gecko. Those guys eat canned out of a dish no problem.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Any of y'all in the Chicago/NWI area and interested in an Ackie Monitor? I know a guy who has bred a bunch and I also know his wife who is all "We need fewer lizards in our dining room." You'll need a pretty big enclosure but feeding seems simple at least? Let me know and I will hook you up.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's a T sabulosus, Guatemalan Red Rump. Terrestrial, but she has burrowed quite a way down underneath her hide, to the bottom corner of the enclosure. The zest of youth. Having said that, she is out and about most of the time (got less so during pre-moult).

I haven't got a fossorial, but I understand your experience is the norm. What species do you have?

On prey, if it's a burrowing critter like a mealworm I crush the head just in case. Reaaally don't want burrowing, like you say. Or any bite-capable prey near a moulting T.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 4, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
stumbled on a pet store in my area that carries lots of axolotls- wild types and leucs/albinos and gfp+ (!), for relatively cheap too ($20-30).

But they’re all really small, under 3”. And they have them all housed in big groups together- just two 20-30 gal tanks, one for gfp+ one for everything else.

So pretty much all of them are missing digits, limbs, gills, etc. Some of the poor little bastards were completely limbless- including probably the most gfp+ of the group (that one was big, and a fast swimmer- a real trooper).

Is going straight to breeder/herp shows the best way to buy an axie? I figured the shop owner could probably source me a more mature one if I asked, but I didn’t really want to give him my patronage.

Edit: that said, it’s not an uncommon way for breeders to keep small axies until they’re a certain size. Given the species’ famous regenerative abilities, is it actually normal/ok to buy a maimed axolotl? Should I look for other signs of vigor and health and expect limbs to grow back?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

stumbled on a pet store in my area that carries lots of axolotls- wild types and leucs/albinos and gfp+ (!), for relatively cheap too ($20-30).

But they’re all really small, under 3”. And they have them all housed in big groups together- just two 20-30 gal tanks, one for gfp+ one for everything else.

So pretty much all of them are missing digits, limbs, gills, etc. Some of the poor little bastards were completely limbless- including probably the most gfp+ of the group (that one was big, and a fast swimmer- a real trooper).

Is going straight to breeder/herp shows the best way to buy an axie? I figured the shop owner could probably source me a more mature one if I asked, but I didn’t really want to give him my patronage.

Edit: that said, it’s not an uncommon way for breeders to keep small axies until they’re a certain size. Given the species’ famous regenerative abilities, is it actually normal/ok to buy a maimed axolotl? Should I look for other signs of vigor and health and expect limbs to grow back?

I buy the vast majority of my fish/shrimp/snails/etc from these people and I also provide them with snails to sell to other people. They're great to work with and their stock is always top notch:

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/axolotls

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Limbs do grow back. That said, does not sound healthy at all for those axolotls, and they probably are suffering from other health concerns. Check for any local breeders, I know I got my first four from a person who ended up with more babies than they expected, and once mine grew up enough to breed themselves which is a total surprise because I thought they were too small and too young, I ended up with dozens of babies despite giving them to my fellow fishkeeper friends. Losing limbs is common with overcrowding, and I never sold any of mine unless they were at least an inch of body not including tail, and were feeding fine on non-life foods. The stuff that seem to work the best was bug bitez.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

I think you may be right and it may be premolt, tonight he just grabbed the worm and punched it in the head for about ten minutes and then left it. Video of entirely unnecessary spider-on-mealworm violence: (worm was taken away and is fine for now)

https://i.imgur.com/3yTzAIJ.mp4

Gonna let him be for a week or so and see what he's up to

Exciting (the pre-moult not the violence). Another of mine has been in premoult for a few weeks and the last couple of days has started webbing the poo poo out of his enclosure. Think I'm going to have a second moult pretty soon. The first one to moult is doing well - getting nice and dark and basking in the heat, but I think I'll give it a couple more days before trying to feed her.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Any of y'all tarantula goons kept Monocentropus balfouri ?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

the yeti posted:

Any of y'all tarantula goons kept Monocentropus balfouri ?

I've only been keeping since January so only have 4 tarantulas, but that aside, I don't plan to get any old world species, as beautiful as some (including the balfouri) are. You got one/thinking of getting one?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 22, 2021

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ok Comboomer posted:

Max had a finger (or two?) missing from being nipped by one of his siblings, they grew back just a little bit webbed and he's absolutely fine. He was probably 2in long when we got him.

I guess it's about balancing not giving this guy money vs knowing that at least one animal is not staying in this poo poo situation? My first axolotl was being kept in a warm tank with a bunch of others, that was so sad to see.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do I want to ask how warm?

Okay herpy goons, I have an issue. Ages ago we bought this giant wood cage that housed an iguana. Think five foot cube. Since then we have used it for bearded dragons, and in the past years, ball pythons (the wire was removed and acrylic installed over the doors and windows). Here is the issue: the heat lamps inside are obviously not open (with the dragons it was not an issue as they could not reach the lamps) but covered with a wire cage. The balls love to stretch up to said cages and mess with the thick wire. This can and has resulted in them getting scratches from the poo poo. Think something like this (https://www.amazon.com/HEEPDD-Lamps...341303746&psc=1) but square, and it fits into the ceiling of the cage with screws.

We've tried all kinds of tape, and it works, for a while. Then the snakes gently caress around with it more and end up with tape on themselves, which is never a fun thing.

I'm wondering about just getting a few of these things above and seeing if I can make it fit, but they seem a bit short, our wire cages are about 10 inches square.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 30, 2021

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Hmmm whoops I somehow seem to have 4 tarantulas now

Nothing for it but to buy more tarantulas I guess

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

how am I supposed to get anything done with this adorable little face looking at me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

did you ever find the other one!!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know arachnid behavior. Is this the equivalence of a very huffy, feisty kitten? or more like a large Good Dog guarding the property?

Either way I find the fuzz endearing.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Chaosfeather posted:

I don't know arachnid behavior. Is this the equivalence of a very huffy, feisty kitten? or more like a large Good Dog guarding the property?

Either way I find the fuzz endearing.

That's a threat pose. The tarantula is saying "don't gently caress with me, and if you continue to do so I shall bite".

I had my first such pose from my T sabulosus yesterday. It's still a good way off its adult size, but it's gotten more confident since its recent moult. I slid back the lid to refill its water bowl and it began walking around, getting on top of its hide, so I took the opportunity to get a few snaps. Then it put its two front legs over the lid - a prelude to exiting the enclosure. I got a paint brush and tried to encourage it backwards by gently pressing onto its front legs - threat pose. Needed to get its legs off the lid so I could slide it back, so tried again. Little bugger attacked the brush, though did then recede backwards. Cheeky spider.

One of the pics just for good measure. The red hairs on the abdomen are becoming more pronounced, though the carapace still needs to darken quite a lot to get closer to the adult colours.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hello Thread,

I thought I would post some pictures of me and my wifes basically... well herp zoo at this point... like half of them are ones we rescued from people who were going to throw them away or have euthanized. So starting with the newest rescue.

This is Sammy, She is a 16 year old female red slider we rescued on monday. She has never had a basking spot before being only in water in a tank way to small for her. She is also really overweight... I mean really overweight. what we have her in now while bigger is also too small so we are hunting for a 125 gallon we can afford or that is free. If any Goons in the MD region know of an available tank hit me up please. At 16 she is also the second oldest pet in the household

We are taking her out for walks for exercise and trying to teach her to eat leafy greens. Hopefully she loses the fat rolls with some love and care.

Next:

This is Chocolate Chip Cookie a fat tailed lizard female. She is technically my Niece's, but we take care of her mostly while training the kid on proper herp care. She is mostly friendly and will occasionally walk onto my open hand... other times she nibbles on my finger.

Speckles the Pac-man frog juvenile. Very upset that they were dug up so I could add some more plants to the bio-active set up they are in.

Speaking of upset

There is THIS rear end in a top hat. Trigger the Tokay Gecko, as normal per the species he is highly aggressive and does not like to be touched. He is VERY PRETTY THOUGH

Moving on to more approachable animals is Eragon, my mother's Bearded Dragon. He enjoys blueberries, long walks around the house, and begging for food anytime the roach bin is handled. He is also a rescue

My mother also has a Veiled Chameleon

Not visible but when we found him at a reptile show he had a really bad wound on his left eye so my mother of course had to save him.

Next is Banana our 12 year old Crested Gecko. She came to us when my wife went out to buy a tank a lady was getting rid of. Turns out there was a Gecko in the tank that was not advertised so we ended up with a Gecko as well. She has been with us for 3 years now, mostly eats fruit mash. She may seem very friendly and approachable, but that is just a trick so she can banzai dive off the top of your shoulder.

Small Colony of Long-Tailed Lizards

After them is my adult Pac-Man

Seen here resting, thinking he is buried but not entirely.

Finally for animals behold our homemade White's Tree Frog enclosure.

My wife made it a out of a display cabinet. Currently housing four White's inside two male, two female all adults, we could add more tbh.

The frogs love to hide in the pterodactyl planters, I have seen up to three of them cram into a single planter before, I am not sure how they fit their fat asses into there. Image is of the two females stacked on each other with a bit of a leg show going on.

The Log embeded into the tank is hollow and acts as a tunnel for the frogs to chill inside or move up to the higher levels of the tank. Featuring Spork, our oldest White's and first acquisition. He like's to hunt for his food and thus gets weighed regularly to make sure he is actually catching and eating prey. He does occasionally deign to eat in my presence, mostly when he gets a hornworm or nightcrawler as a treat.

All animals are fed a varied diet with primary insectivore food being Dubia roaches from our personal colony, supplemented as appropriate with mealworms, hornworms, and nightcrawlers.

So many loving roaches, I swear they eat better than I do as well. Cleaning is also a nightmare because of tweezing the hundreds of baby roaches out of the detritus.

All in all I really enjoy watching and taking care of all of them. Such beautiful and fascinating little creatures.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Hello Thread,

I thought I would post some pictures of me and my wifes basically... well herp zoo at this point... like half of them are ones we rescued from people who were going to throw them away or have euthanized. So starting with the newest rescue.

This is Sammy, She is a 16 year old female red slider we rescued on monday. She has never had a basking spot before being only in water in a tank way to small for her. She is also really overweight... I mean really overweight. what we have her in now while bigger is also too small so we are hunting for a 125 gallon we can afford or that is free. If any Goons in the MD region know of an available tank hit me up please. At 16 she is also the second oldest pet in the household

We are taking her out for walks for exercise and trying to teach her to eat leafy greens. Hopefully she loses the fat rolls with some love and care.

That’s a lovely, albeit poorly cared-for (not your fault), slider.

Don’t get a tank, don’t look for a tank. Tanks are for chumpsfish.

As you’ve noticed, the turtle needs lots of space. They need lots of depth, but mostly they need surface area and above-water area. Tanks are generally narrow and tall and meant to be filled to the top and covered with a lid. They are meant to be placed against a wall and observed from the side.

Turtles also do really poorly with glass. Many turtles never really figure it out/get comfortable with it and it tends to gently caress with their sense of space. They hit their heads on the glass a lot and smash their faces into it, which hurts them and can cause injury and lead to pretty gross callosities and worse over time.

I’m sure you’ve also noticed that turtles poo poo a ton. Not only do they need a lot of filtration, but you’re probably doing water changes more frequently.

What you need is a tub (or several). I like to keep each of my painteds in their own tub (they can’t be housed together, the bigger male won’t leave the-in this case- younger, smaller female alone) and I have a third tub for feeding/extra space/putting outside/etc.

Like literally just go to Home Despot or Lowe’s right now and buy the biggest heavy duty Rubbermaid or whatever (not one of the weak thin home storage ones, those will snap if you fill them with water) you can reasonably fit. They’re cheap as all hell. Money won’t be the limiting factor, space/form factor will. I currently use a bunch of the HD house brand yellow/black ones, they were like $20 each.

Long term you’ll want something larger/sturdier/prettier but bog-standard storage tubs and bins are the norm and standard for fostering turtles, be they aquatic or terrestrial. They work much much better than glass aquariums, they weigh a fraction as much without the risk of shattering, and the turtles vastly prefer them and the visual barrier. They really do much better behaviorally.

Plus it means you can tuck the bin in a corner/move the turtle to the garage/laundry room/sun porch/etc, move it out of the way for guests, and so forth much more easily than a 125 gal tank.

Just make sure you clean any new plastics well, they often come with a layer of chemical coating or oil from the factory, as well as general hardware store chemical grime.

Long term you’ll want to look at Waterland Tubs (purpose built turtle enclosures- pricey, esp with shipping, unless you can drive to PA or buy one directly at an expo and carry it out) or farm stock tubs/tanks and/or artificial ponds (which can be above ground or in ground, hence why I grouped them in with stock tubs).

Rubbermaid makes some easily available plastic ones that are quite affordable for 100/150/300/etc weatherproof tubs, certainly much cheaper than spending ~$400 on a Waterland. You can also get steel ones, and I know a bunch of terrestrial and aquatic turtle people like those, but watch for oil coatings. If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby (you probably do) plastic and steel tubs are usually on hand.

Waterland tubs are nice because they’re designed with a land area built-in, and it’s a substrate-filled land area which is the best and most biologically sound (and safe, if you have a mature female who could potentially ovulate and risk infertile egg binding), but stock tubs are much cheaper and more easily available. Both can be dressed up to look more nice in a home or yard setting, but at the end of the day you’ll probably want to go with a custom build of some sort if you really value aesthetics (I think you can make a tub look really nice if you’re smart and put in some work)

But yeah....uhhh...don’t go with glass.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

AtomikKrab posted:

Finally for animals behold our homemade White's Tree Frog enclosure.

My wife made it a out of a display cabinet. Currently housing four White's inside two male, two female all adults, we could add more tbh.

This is very cool, I need to look into doing something like this.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello, this is my new friend, Daniel Tiger.

He's a bull snake and an absolute sweetheart.

He's a little more orange than these pictures really suggest.

Lady Aberlin is still a precious princess who can only be fed while held, what a finicky girl! No pics, she's camera shy on top of her other diva behaviors.

Meanwhile, Pukei-Pukei disapproves of your existence.

Salazar is number one chill af friendly guy.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Seconding the love for that cool AF whites tree frog enclosure. Apparently I need to start looking for display cases to convert!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

This is very cool, I need to look into doing something like this.

Ensure adequate venting and airflow. the tank there has some fans installed in the back with meshed cut throughs to ensure good airflow. If you are building vertical having a very deep substrate for your plants to dig into is also useful,

Make sure to seal the tank with something safe for reptiles, let that clear out any fumes, then build your surfaces, we used a non-toxic foam to build to terrain while installing the log and the climbing perches and sticks. Then covered it all in repti-soil after letting it have some time to make sure it was set and there were no fumes or potentially anything else to hurt the frogs. We had plants higher up as well but didn't build the bowls deep enough for the roots to set in so if you want several layers of plants make sure you build very deep pockets for them to nest into. the Top of the tank is mesh with a heat lamp, regular light and a uvb bulb, while White's are primarily nocturnal they like to occasionally rest up on a basking ledge we built into the tank during the day to get the uvb.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

Ensure adequate venting and airflow. the tank there has some fans installed in the back with meshed cut throughs to ensure good airflow. If you are building vertical having a very deep substrate for your plants to dig into is also useful,

Make sure to seal the tank with something safe for reptiles, let that clear out any fumes, then build your surfaces, we used a non-toxic foam to build to terrain while installing the log and the climbing perches and sticks. Then covered it all in repti-soil after letting it have some time to make sure it was set and there were no fumes or potentially anything else to hurt the frogs. We had plants higher up as well but didn't build the bowls deep enough for the roots to set in so if you want several layers of plants make sure you build very deep pockets for them to nest into. the Top of the tank is mesh with a heat lamp, regular light and a uvb bulb, while White's are primarily nocturnal they like to occasionally rest up on a basking ledge we built into the tank during the day to get the uvb.

Have you considered Tillandsia's for higher up plants?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

Have you considered Tillandsia's for higher up plants?

No, those would probably be great if I can pretty much staple them into the wall of the tank or the top of the tunnel log.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

AtomikKrab posted:

No, those would probably be great if I can pretty much staple them into the wall of the tank or the top of the tunnel log.

Cyanoacrylate super glue is completely inert and frog safe once it cures!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Spork wishes to thank you for your advice and reminds you that the best part of waking up, is a chill frog in a cup.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do I want to ask how warm?
I couldn't tell you exactly but the outside of the tank was very warm to the touch. I think the aquatics shop like... Saw that axies look a bit 'exotic' and just figured they therefore needed tropical tank temps?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

I'd like these guys not to camp out in the switchgear here.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Oof, I feel like an idiot. We’ve been cleaning the bathroom with bleach, and I completely forgot we have two amphibians in the apartment. Are they gonna be okay, you think? We’ve kept it well ventilated, but the smell has still gotten out of the bathroom.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FartingBedpost posted:

Oof, I feel like an idiot. We’ve been cleaning the bathroom with bleach, and I completely forgot we have two amphibians in the apartment. Are they gonna be okay, you think? We’ve kept it well ventilated, but the smell has still gotten out of the bathroom.

Seal the enclosures with plastic wrap and unseal them every few hours in fresh air. I don't have any direct experience here aside from seeing a tank of fish get wiped out from a cleaning product in the air, but I would not take any chances.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bleach evaporates pretty quickly though. Regular cleaners not so much.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Bleach evaporates pretty quickly though. Regular cleaners not so much.

Agreed, but it's still not something I would take a chance and hope with, especially with amphibians.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, we covered up both tanks for today and tomorrow, it’ll probably be completely gone by then. It should be okay, but smelling it in the same room as them definitely made me a little nervous

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve had these two Eastern painted turtles for going on four years now, and it’s amazing how much they’ve chilled out wrt handling and being picked up now that I’ve been feeding them in a separate tub for several months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Oooooo
Right outside house in So Cal
I almost stepped on it
Can someone ID