Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

messing around with a hard triangular brush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Making something about the days of the week, and drew the namesakes of each

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 29, 2021

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
post hot coelacanths and the primitivist fishes u got

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Hell yeah.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

5 hours from reference. Although it does not at all look like the person in the reference photo I'm happy with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Claeaus posted:

5 hours from reference. Although it does not at all look like the person in the reference photo I'm happy with it.

The hair looks really good here! Hair is so hard.

Crossposting my new birb.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

good borb

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I haven't filled in these pages completely yet but I have re-learned a couple of things.

1. I am not nearly good enough to free hand everything with a pen (see owl and misshapen bass).
2. I am still a decent copyist at least when it comes to contours and starting with a pencil first (see viaduct scene).
3. I am still bad at shading/value because I rather gave up when it came to the hard stuff in copying the viaduct composition. At least the fence came out okay?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Been practising painting and was too ashamed to post daily.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

^^^ pff don't be ashamed post your stuff this isn't the 'post your amazing poo poo' thread ^^^

Turbinosamente posted:

I haven't filled in these pages completely yet but I have re-learned a couple of things.

1. I am not nearly good enough to free hand everything with a pen (see owl and misshapen bass).
2. I am still a decent copyist at least when it comes to contours and starting with a pencil first (see viaduct scene).
3. I am still bad at shading/value because I rather gave up when it came to the hard stuff in copying the viaduct composition. At least the fence came out okay?

The fence looks great! For me pen and ink is the hardest shading to do because you have to do like, crosshatching or stippling or whatever. If you use a water-based ink you could always grab a brush and watercolour it, but then I would say that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HopperUK posted:

^^^ pff don't be ashamed post your stuff this isn't the 'post your amazing poo poo' thread ^^^

The fence looks great! For me pen and ink is the hardest shading to do because you have to do like, crosshatching or stippling or whatever. If you use a water-based ink you could always grab a brush and watercolour it, but then I would say that.

Thanks, and yeah I don't know if the high contrast nature of pen and ink is helping me or hurting me in trying to get back into artistic endeavors. I've been using a Staedtler version of a Micron pen for convenience/trying to use up supplies that have been hanging around for literal years. I'll definitely keep the ink wash in mind, though I think I'd have to get some that isn't waterproof. Not that it matters for this gimmick sketchbook I'm also trying to burn up: the pages in it are practically like onion skin so it'd fold instantly under any water.

My shading was always called out in art school for not being up to snuff regardless of media. Usually not high contrast enough or some times not enough different values iirc. God college was nearly 10 years ago though :negative:

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I kinda hate it but here's some 2 minute exercises attempting to use Loomis' method. I think I was finally able to figure out why I dislike it though. I'm trying to draw digitally like I do with graphite or charcoal but with the digital brushes I've been using pressure adjusts size not value so if I try to hatch in value like I do with traditional media I just get a bunch of poor quality hair thin lines.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Been practising painting and was too ashamed to post daily.

I like these, they really have some depth to them!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HopperUK posted:

And yet I still did and do!

Claeaus posted:

I like these, they really have some depth to them!

Thanks! Here's another.

Only had an hour, so it's a bit rough.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm really digging the style of your recent paintings.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Behold Strawberry Frog in all his strength. I drew it for an Artfol "Draw this in your style" prompt because it was cute.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1390530345133481986

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another cyber flapper.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yesterday was a real bad day for practise (I loathed the result and trashed it, then proceeded to stay up way too late to calm down)

Today went better again, though still not happy with this one either.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Shinmera posted:

Yesterday was a real bad day for practise (I loathed the result and trashed it, then proceeded to stay up way too late to calm down)

Today went better again, though still not happy with this one either.

You're getting really good at these! This whole series has been a treat, frankly.

I still need to work on my hair drawing skills but my biggest problem is that I keep running out of steam or losing interest before the drawing is finished

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

NAG posted:

You're getting really good at these! This whole series has been a treat, frankly.

I still need to work on my hair drawing skills but my biggest problem is that I keep running out of steam or losing interest before the drawing is finished

that hair is next level. also, the reflected light from the bow on the face :chefkiss:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

NAG posted:

Wow

It's fantastic

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

2 hours

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

This is great. Your practice with hair is paying off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, NAG! Very nice!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I drew a thing but it was poo poo and not worthy to post so I drew an extra thing to satisfy my honor

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

I drew a thing but it was poo poo and not worthy to post so I drew an extra thing to satisfy my honor

She looks like she is judging you for the first thing. I like her.

Crossposting my magpie pic. I have to do it a lot bigger next time, magpies are so complicated, they've got so many feathers, ugh.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Nebalebadingdong posted:

post hot coelacanths and the primitivist fishes u got

Nice! This is right up my alley!

HopperUK posted:

Mountie bird is killing me, I love it.
Haha drat! It was supposed to be a blowfish. Thanks though :D

Here's a cookie devil:

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 10, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Drew a picture of my friends and it actually kind of looks like them!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mountie bird is killing me, I love it.

Claeaus that's awesome! Their expressions are all so alive. The shirtless guy on the right nearest the 'camera' has this very 'I am amused but also expecting this to go badly wrong' expression that I adore.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I've been doing speed sculpts in Blender to get back into doing art lately. Made this kobold yesterday.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Claeaus that's awesome! Their expressions are all so alive. The shirtless guy on the right nearest the 'camera' has this very 'I am amused but also expecting this to go badly wrong' expression that I adore.
Thanks! I'm a bit surprised I actually managed to make it look like them. You do a couple of passes and it looks nothing like them and you don't really know why, erase it and try again and chip away and all of a sudden you managed to make it look like the person and you don't really know how you did it.

Decided to try and make something in color this time, 3 hours:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Very loose free hand sketches.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Another depresso night.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you everyone for the kind comments on my last drawing, it means a lot to me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I feel like my sins need to be seen by a wider audience. The shrine furdonna for the mini-dome:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Another frog, in oil paint this time.

Edit: Decided to make a bakground as well, so that it can be called a complete painting!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Late night zombie.