Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dantheman650 posted:

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

could be a number of things. could be left over grime from the plant in the grooves, static, or paper flakes from the sleeve. never hurts to give them a surface brush before dropping the needle. if a record is truly damaged though, despite being new (which happens with flat spots, misalignments during the press or the stamper is worn and over used) there is no real saving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dantheman650 posted:

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

I had this happen last week. Came shrink-wrapped and shipped very well but for about 15 minutes on side A it popped like clockwork. Tried brushing and ended up sending it back.

Bought the exact same thing as a replacement and it’s been totally fine. It was a real bummer to have it happen.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's the warmth you're hearing

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I pretty much never buy weird stuff based on the cover but had to make an exception.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

z0331 posted:

I pretty much never buy weird stuff based on the cover but had to make an exception.

That's Wally Wood art so I would have bought the poo poo out of that even if there wasn't a record in it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That rules.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

z0331 posted:

drat I'm jelly. I want that, I want to remix it and I want to wear a cape and canvas high tops while doing it.

Of course that was the story that inspired this, among many others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJrD1TUNGM

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021
Got this record its 200% electronica by Esprit

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Y2KayBug posted:

Got this record its 200% electronica by Esprit

Wow that's pretty.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I just spent $29 (including shipping) on a blues record from Easy Eye Sound, who then pressured me to spend an additional $5 on a download. I sent an email asking them to provide a download.

It’s a trend I’ve noticed the past six-twelve months, fewer records are coming with downloads. I guess they don’t have to be nice, anymore. Maybe it’s time to hang it up on the hobby. I’ll still buy my mainline poo poo but I’m just sad more than anything when I think about records, now.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I somehow inherited about two hundred records from various relatives over the past year. I'd like to get a half-decent record player and some speakers to listen through them. Is there some sort of basic recommended set up that's sub 500$? A nice record storage cabinet would be appreciated as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hutzpah posted:

I somehow inherited about two hundred records from various relatives over the past year. I'd like to get a half-decent record player and some speakers to listen through them. Is there some sort of basic recommended set up that's sub 500$? A nice record storage cabinet would be appreciated as well.

Do you want new or used and did you grow up with stereos or would the idea of hooking up speakers that are more complicated than plugging a 3.5mm jack into a computer or iPod be new to you?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Either way it's gonna be an Audiotechnica LP120.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Either way it's gonna be an Audiotechnica LP120 and a Kallax.
gently caress me quote isn't edit

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Either way it's gonna be an Audiotechnica LP120.

I mean maybe but $500 to get speakers, a turntable, a receiver, and furniture isn’t an endless budget. You can get used turntables for less than a new LP120. It depends on everything else in the mix.

If the stereo is going in a big room, little powered bookshelf speakers might not be the best use of their money, even though they’re affordable.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Do you want new or used and did you grow up with stereos or would the idea of hooking up speakers that are more complicated than plugging a 3.5mm jack into a computer or iPod be new to you?

Honestly I listen to most music using headphones, or a 1st generation Amazon echo. So my standards arent exactly high. I should note that the $500 ballpark limit doesnt also include storage furniture.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hutzpah posted:

Honestly I listen to most music using headphones, or a 1st generation Amazon echo. So my standards arent exactly high. I should note that the $500 ballpark limit doesnt also include storage furniture.

But would you know how to (and want to) hook up a stereo system, or could you care less about anything like that? Some people under a certain age or who just never grew up with music look at putting together a stereo the way I look at rebuilding a carburetor.

I guess basically do you want your system to be absolutely as simple as possible, or to you want it to be big and more of a project?

And is this going in a bedroom/office or large living room ?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

But would you know how to (and want to) hook up a stereo system, or could you care less about anything like that? Some people under a certain age or who just never grew up with music look at putting together a stereo the way I look at rebuilding a carburetor.

I guess basically do you want your system to be absolutely as simple as possible, or to you want it to be big and more of a project?

And is this going in a bedroom/office or large living room ?

It's going in a living room/dining room/kitchen open area. It is a bit large. I'd prefer nothing super involved and complicated. I was expecting something like 2/3 speakers that plug directly into a turntable or some sort of receiver in between.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hutzpah posted:

It's going in a living room/dining room/kitchen open area. It is a bit large. I'd prefer nothing super involved and complicated. I was expecting something like 2/3 speakers that plug directly into a turntable or some sort of receiver in between.

Well I think there's a pretty strong consensus that almost all the one-piece solutions you're seeing around now (Crosley, etc.) are not good. Get a decent turntable new, find an old stereo at the goodwill, make sure it has a phono preamp. Alternatively, buy a new turntable, a decent cheap phono preamp new and a really cheap power amp and some decent cheap speakers. There are a lot of tiny power amps for two speakers out there real cheap right now, I've used them for small stereo setups before. Pyle probably makes a few decent ones. I got one for my television, found a couple nice stereo speakers and I'm not displeased with the output.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hutzpah posted:

By 3 speakers do you mean a sub?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

By 3 speakers do you mean a sub?

Yeah. But, I have no real idea. I'm just looking for something to play records and do it respectively so I can go through this collection and relisten to stuff that's worthwhile.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hutzpah posted:

Yeah. But, I have no real idea. I'm just looking for something to play records and do it respectively so I can go through this collection and relisten to stuff that's worthwhile.

My suggestion would be to look through Craigslist and Facebook looking for someone selling a complete stereo system in your price range. If you have a big space you probably want big speakers, and if the speakers are big you probably don’t need a sub. If you want to post stuff you find in here we can tell you if it’s good value or not.

If you want something that fits on your kitchen counter, you can get a modern turntable with an integrated phono amp and powered bookshelf speakers, but I wouldn’t want to put a turntable on a kitchen counter. The AT-120 that was posted above has a phono amp on board, so you could connect it directly to powered speakers or a stereo receiver that doesn’t have a phono stage.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

If you usually listen through headphones, I recommend getting a turntable with a phono preamp built in, and a [url="https:////https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1/"]Schiit Magni headphone amp[/url]. It's a super simple setup that can sound great. You can get a Uturn Basic turntable and a Magni for under $500.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And I'm talking about something like this. If your turntable has the phono preamp built in, you can run it out to this and power a couple of small speakers. At $45 + ship you can stay well in your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402245873606?hash=item5da7b8efc6:g:bSAAAOSwWoRepjhh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dropped by the record store to pick up coffee, decided to leave with this :

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

And I'm talking about something like this. If your turntable has the phono preamp built in, you can run it out to this and power a couple of small speakers. At $45 + ship you can stay well in your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402245873606?hash=item5da7b8efc6:g:bSAAAOSwWoRepjhh

You can get a used AV receiver at any thrift store for $35 or less that can power real speakers and offer a lot more than that. A 15 year old pioneer or denon 5.1 receiver is tough as an AV receiver because there may not be any hdmi support, but it makes a perfectly good stereo amp. There are constantly old AV receivers at thrift stores.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nice!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hutzpah posted:

Some record stores sell old stereo equipment at affordable prices and vintage refurbs are going to be a much better value than new equipment of the same price. Even if no record stores in your area sell turntables ask them if they know who does.

Spanish Manlove posted:

poo poo, Starbucks has drastically changed what kind of music they sell in their stores.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

You can get a used AV receiver at any thrift store for $35 or less that can power real speakers and offer a lot more than that. A 15 year old pioneer or denon 5.1 receiver is tough as an AV receiver because there may not be any hdmi support, but it makes a perfectly good stereo amp. There are constantly old AV receivers at thrift stores.

It's just that what I linked is dirt simple and frankly you can't always count on getting a decent one at the thrift, so I'm just pointing out that it can be done for really cheap even nowadays with new gear. This is also really minimal space requirements, it's tiny. Oh, maybe too low wattage for the space indicated, but there are other similar things out there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

It's just that what I linked is dirt simple and frankly you can't always count on getting a decent one at the thrift, so I'm just pointing out that it can be done for really cheap even nowadays with new gear. This is also really minimal space requirements, it's tiny. Oh, maybe too low wattage for the space indicated, but there are other similar things out there.

You can never count on getting anything besides Barbara Streisand records, but if you go to a couple different ones or go a few weeks in a row you’ve got a solid chance of getting something that will work fine.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was your coffee black too?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

You can never count on getting anything besides Barbara Streisand records, but if you go to a couple different ones or go a few weeks in a row you’ve got a solid chance of getting something that will work fine.

Oh come on, you can count on seeing every Herb Alpert record that isn't Whipped Cream too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh come on, you can count on seeing every Herb Alpert record that isn't Whipped Cream too.

So is what you're saying is that you're more like to find some other delights?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I come across GOING PLACES an awful lot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

So is what you're saying is that you're more like to find some other delights?

Eeeey :ocelot:

BigFactory posted:

I come across GOING PLACES an awful lot.

Same for me. I don't even remember the title just the Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass text that starts out the information block on the cover. My eyes slide away after that.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I listened to Autechre's Tri Repetae on vinyl last night for for the first time after 15+ years of listening to it digitally and it was like hearing it for the first time. Sublime. Now I can only hope their middle-years output gets rereleased.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I spent $3 on herb Alpert's Rise specifically for about 20 seconds of music. The sample from Notorious Big's Hypnotize

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

This is it boys, this is the week Amazon ships the Mars Volta box set

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyone else come across dozens of Sing Along With Mitch albums, or is that just in my locality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pretzellogic posted:

Anyone else come across dozens of Sing Along With Mitch albums, or is that just in my locality?

They were both very popular in the 60s and nobody wants them now. That’s the secret sauce for finding a record at the Salvation Army.