Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mikerock posted:

Also the dozen linnies I ordered haven't shown up yet, I would like to speak with a manager

they didnt expect you to call their bluff about birds being real so theyre busy trying to make them out of paper mache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

hbag posted:

they didnt expect you to call their bluff about birds being real so theyre busy trying to make them out of paper mache

You've given me an idea. o.o

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

https://v.redd.it/mxb10df2dtv61

Oh my God, my heart

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why is Wasabi a frustratingly cute goofball with a chronic foodbowl digging habit?! I managed to find nibble sized pellets, the smallest ones available, and they both eat them without me having to use a pestle & mortar to crush it down to size. But I keep catching the fucker squatting in the food bowl and kicking out a bunch of pellets. I only ever caught Chick doing this when she was a baby, and it's been a good two months since then. This wouldn't be an issue normally (except for the needless waste of food), but this house is riddled with ants and they go crazy for the pellets. So I'm constantly sweeping up after him to avoid a plague of ants on my floor and I'm getting tired of it. This food bowl only has pellets in it, I've got another bowl with a mix of pellets and seeds which he doesn't seem interested in kicking out all over the floor.

Also, Wasabi seems to be back to his old energetic self, and his diarrhea has gone. I started putting a small amount of organic apple cider in their water, and I don't know if the whole "acidity helps regulate yeast" pseudoscience is legit, but he's no longer sleeping 80% of the day, and is back to chirping a bunch and doing his energetic flyovers and head bobs. I've got no clue if this is what helped him get over the diarrhea and get his energy back, or if cutting out sweet potato from their diet fixed it, but he doesn't seem sick anymore.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton also loves to throw pellets everywhere. Gravity is endlessly amazing to birds. Galbedir is a perfect baby angel and never throws pellets (except for the times he does).

The vet says it is foraging behaviour and recommends putting paper kitty litter or shredded paper mixed in with the pellets (also recommended for fat birds who eat too much).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Qubee posted:

Why is Wasabi a frustratingly cute goofball with a chronic foodbowl digging habit?!

quote:

Parrots throw perfectly good food onto the floor because that’s what parrots do, according to a new study
Why Do Parrots Waste Most Of What You Feed Them?

quote:

Food waste was universal amongst parrots of the 103 species studied (40 species were studied in the experimental approach, 75 species were studied in the field and 12 species were observed in both the lab and the field). Dr. Sebastián-González and her collaborators found that every parrot in every study site (35 large biological communities in 17 countries on 5 continents) wasted food. Whether these parrots were wild, feral or naturalized, living in their native ranges or in new areas where people had introduced them, food rained down from the tree tops when parrots were present.

Parrots squandered food throughout the entire year, regardless of whether it was their breeding season or not. Further, parrots are equal opportunity food wasters: although they mainly dumped seeds and fruits, they also dropped flowers, leaves, twigs, stems, sprouts, parasites and bark. In some cases, the food waste was simply spectacular: some individual parrots were observed to drop as much as 80% of seeds and all of the fruits they picked.

[...]

Meanwhile, what can an overworked parrot parent do to reduce her feathered companion’s food waste?

“Based on our study, I don’t think you can do much,” Dr. Sebastián-González replied.

Link to the study

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Science people: "why do parrot drop food??????"

Other science people: "uhhhhh maybe they are farming?????"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The key takeaway isn't "well shucks, we don't know why they do it", it's "they all do it"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Parrots are basically flying toddlers and toddlers love nothing more than throwing food everywhere and making a mess

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera went through a phase where he'd empty all his pellets onto the floor of the cage and then eat them there. A constant state of "why do I even give you a food dish, you goober."

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I might stop putting pellets in the bowls and instead put it in the dog bowl I use for a little foraging area that I place at the bottom of the cage with some organic hay. That manages to keep all their mess contained, cause sometimes when they eat the pellet they'll decide half way through to just shake their head and toss it across the room: "the shape of that particular pellet displeased me". Doesn't escape the dog bowl since they're always hunched over whilst eating in it. Is it a bad idea to remove their bowls in the morning when I wake them up and only leave them pellets to eat? Save seeds for the afternoon / evening so I at least know they're eating lots of pellets. Slowly adding more pellet and less seed, gonna do it over the course of two weeks until they're on mainly pellets with a little seed bowl each before bed.

I've also been getting weird beak anxiety, worrying it'll become overgrown. But then I realise they've got tonnes of chewable stuff they're always tearing into, so the kebabs and wooden toys should keep their beaks healthy fingers crossed. They manage to tear apart some surprisingly tough wood on their toys.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

I might stop putting pellets in the bowls and instead put it in the dog bowl I use for a little foraging area that I place at the bottom of the cage with some organic hay. That manages to keep all their mess contained, cause sometimes when they eat the pellet they'll decide half way through to just shake their head and toss it across the room: "the shape of that particular pellet displeased me". Doesn't escape the dog bowl since they're always hunched over whilst eating in it. Is it a bad idea to remove their bowls in the morning when I wake them up and only leave them pellets to eat? Save seeds for the afternoon / evening so I at least know they're eating lots of pellets. Slowly adding more pellet and less seed, gonna do it over the course of two weeks until they're on mainly pellets with a little seed bowl each before bed.

I've also been getting weird beak anxiety, worrying it'll become overgrown. But then I realise they've got tonnes of chewable stuff they're always tearing into, so the kebabs and wooden toys should keep their beaks healthy fingers crossed. They manage to tear apart some surprisingly tough wood on their toys.

this all seems sensible to me

i wouldn't worry too much about their beaks unless it becomes very obvious that there's a problem - they will do some grinding on their own just sitting around. if they don't already have a mineral block to chew on that may also help.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RoboRodent posted:

Sera went through a phase where he'd empty all his pellets onto the floor of the cage and then eat them there. A constant state of "why do I even give you a food dish, you goober."

If you just put them on the floor of the cage then he would've gotten mad about not being able to toss them out of the food dish :colbert:.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Mayo loves her millet but sometimes she'll just grab the entire sprig, run to the edge and just huck it overboard

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto does fling her seed or veg. She flings the entire loving dish they're in, spilling them all to the floor. We got dishes with longer hooks, so they only get the big fling on days when she's really rough.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
hahaha this guy seems fun:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeC5w7DE/

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtMPbI686k
The first minute of this is great. You can see the gears in his head turning as he tries to figure out how to best annoy his owner.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mizuti posted:

The first minute of this is great. You can see the gears in his head turning as he tries to figure out how to best annoy his owner.

birds adorbs, his human pal seems kinda uptight

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Good ol Max.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sound.

https://i.imgur.com/uqHiCD6.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mizuti posted:

This is every single morning with Pookie. She gets up, and while I am making her breakfast, she trundles around the room threatening to break things, including cd cases, door frames, the top of the dresser, the bottom of the dresser, the dog, any packaged food that's not hidden away.
She really just loves to gently caress around with stuff to see what'll make the grumpy monkey go OOOK OOOK OOOK. It's hard to describe, but she gets this look of profound satisfaction when you get really irritated, like she won because you got so annoyed.

Birds are amazing assholes :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The local parrot store tells me Indian Ringnecks, despite how they act on Youtube, tend to be neurotic and skittish.

But I will more than likely get one someday, and then never accomplish anything ever again as I stare at cartoon parrot antics all day.

(They also tend to get along well with cockatiels. So do Quakers, but I hear bad stories about them being psychotically cage territorial. I know bites are part of owning parrots, but I'd have issues with a chronic biter. I've never had a bird do that with me.)

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 30, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Every single Indian Ringneck will say "what are you doing?" in the exact same intonation which leads me to believe this is what they say in the wild.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

The local parrot store tells me Indian Ringnecks, despite how they act on Youtube, tend to be neurotic and skittish.

But I will more than likely get one someday, and then never accomplish anything ever again as I stare at cartoon parrot antics all day.

(They also tend to get along well with cockatiels. So do Quakers, but I hear bad stories about them being psychotically cage territorial. I know bites are part of owning parrots, but I'd have issues with a chronic biter. I've never had a bird do that with me.)

Quakers are LOUD and tend to be bitey, yeah. Also being New World parrots they are sensitive to the feather dust of cockatiels.

I've heard ringnecks are more aloof or cat-like than skittish. It's more the rarity of breeders in the US than their personality that keeps them from being more popular. They and other Psitticula species have been domesticated for much longer than most parrots but like mynas and canaries they have kind of fallen "out of fashion" as pets.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Every single Indian Ringneck will say "what are you doing?" in the exact same intonation which leads me to believe this is what they say in the wild.

:hmmyes:

Captain Log posted:

I loved my very bitey bird but it got very tiring. Several years after his serious rehoming upgrade I have no callouses left from the bites, but some scars are still there to remind me. I miss Ivanicus very much, but I don't miss those bites.

If I get another bird again, gentle or otherwise sweet disposition and 'how painful are those bites' are a serious consideration for me. I can handle being bitten, but that was a bit more than I could handle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Log posted:

(They also tend to get along well with cockatiels. So do Quakers, but I hear bad stories about them being psychotically cage territorial.
My Quaker isn't psychotically cage territorial with me, but she is with all the other birds. Sometimes she flies onto my cockatiel's cage, prompting her to retreat to the loft. My Quaker was also purchased from crazy animal hoarders, so YMMV.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So I just started this new job as a relief driver for a courier company (I'm free of retail, I just had the Worst Training Day Ever and I'll still take it over an average day at my old job any day) (it helps that my trainer is my brother in law and I really like my brother in law) and I came back after an extremely long day covered in mud and I got SUCH A LECTURE from the boys when I came in. In tones of where have you been????

And then we sat together for a visit before they went to bed, during which I was angrily asked to pet one while the other angrily preened in my direction and then gave me some angry big wings.

This is going to be an interesting transition from the last month and a half of unemployment and full time studies after I broke one morning and walked into the office fifteen minutes before my shift started and politely quit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I think my small condo probably has a two cage limit, so I'm not doing anything until a time after Blue and Yellow. Which hopefully isn't anytime soon.

Weirdly, my initially anti-pet father is the one who keeps saying, "Don't you think it would be fun to add a new bird?" But I worry Serra has spoiled him by -

- Never BITE biting
- Not being very noisy

The noisy thing I attribute to her almost literally never being left alone, even when covered. But I'm not sure my Dad fully grasps just how loud a bird can get. :derptiel:

Also, I literally make sure Serra gets at least "X amount of time outside the cage" a day at a minimum. Two birds? If they don't get along, that could mean more juggling parrots. Which isn't really a problem, it's just wrangling with bad legs can be a hassle.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ringnecks are extremely cute and I can confirm the feral ones make a lot of cute/funny noises.

One thing you will not be prepared for if you are used to budgies and cockatiels is how loud and piercing the ringneck flock call is and how often it's going to happen.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The weather here is atrocious now that it's summer (37 celsius and it's only 11:23am, it'll reach 39c by midday), and in a month or two we'll be comfortably hitting mid-40's every day. I'm thinking of building an outdoor aviary, and the only reason I'm even contemplating it is because I worry about their UV exposure, plus giving them a huge area to fly around in that isn't my bedroom would be nice. My bedroom window is tinted and closed 99% of the time. I open it briefly in the morning for an hour or two before my room becomes too hot and I have to close it. UV Lamps are really hard to get hold of here, and the few I've seen have scary reviews and experiences of lamps exploding, melting, etc. plus a lot of them don't actually emit enough UV to be beneficial.

I was thinking of putting together a decent outdoor aviary with shade cloth covering to lower temperature and UV exposure, and adding a misting system to lower the temperature even more (there's remnants of an outdoor chicken coop made of metal that I can use for support). Does anyone have any helpful resources I can use to figure out the best way to go about this? Most outdoor aviary builds are for much cooler climates, I think I'm in one of the few places on earth that casually and regularly hit high 40 celsius temperatures. It would be helpful having advice from people who have done this in the past, as it would save me a lot of time and effort and I wouldn't end up with an aviary that is functional but still sits in the mid-30 temperature range despite all my cooling efforts. If I can get it to drop to 26c and stay there, I'm in business.

- Shade cloth for UV protection and some shade, but not too much to affect ventilation
- Mister system to keep temps down
- Spraying branches, cloth and floor with water to cool things down
- A pond maybe for a big water source that also acts as a cooler?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I assume it's really dry where you are? A swamp cooler might be an option, or at least give you a baseline for how much water you'd need to cool an X by Y area by Z degrees

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mainly arid, but in Spring time it gets mega swampy, air so humid you can swim through it. But the weather is good enough then that having my window open all day is no biggie. I keep checking out the old chicken coop area, and I think doing this as a project is 100% worth it. Even if it's not cool enough for the birds, it would make a fantastic little sitting area with plants and veggies and stuff. So I may as well just dive in and see how it turns out!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Visited my favourite magpie group yesterday (the ones in most of my videos), and only one of the two juveniles was present.

As I'm starting to walk away a few minutes later, I hear a repeated, plaintive cry rapidly increasing in volume. I look towards the sound and I see the other juvenile flying towards me as fast as it can flap its wings, completely distraught at the idea of missing out on a tasty snack.

Juvenile magpies are loving adorable and I love them to bits.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GotLag posted:

Visited my favourite magpie group yesterday (the ones in most of my videos), and only one of the two juveniles was present.

As I'm starting to walk away a few minutes later, I hear a repeated, plaintive cry rapidly increasing in volume. I look towards the sound and I see the other juvenile flying towards me as fast as it can flap its wings, completely distraught at the idea of missing out on a tasty snack.

Juvenile magpies are loving adorable and I love them to bits.

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey LAB does Charlie very clearly tier people according to who he likes most?

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Hey darlings, I know it's been... a while since my last post. Forums aren't really my thing.

Anyway, figured I'd see if there was input to be had.

https://i.imgur.com/kTrSB9q.mp4
(there is audio)

I've been doing the egg carton on the bottom of the cage thing, and been really ontop of keeping her on a 12-12 day night cycle. Not only has her cage been rearranged every time I clean it but the room itself has also recently been reorganized.

This bird will not stop being a horny monster. Hell even now after taking that video she's got her butt up against the wall and cooing (between hissing little charges at my hand while I type, it's a small desk)

She's been like this for 2 weeks now. Any ideas on how to get her to chill? I've done some research but not turning up anything I've not already tried.

Additionally, I've been wanting to get a second bird anyway, and my experiences with Beryl have rather put me off Conures. Another girltiel may just start having fights, but a boy, with Pemka like this all the time, is probably also a bad call.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/OQEpto0.mp4
Unmute!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy says hello from the back of my chair. This is very affectionately close for him.

He's also been a horny, nesty monster. I have no particular advice for horny birb, but I ordered some dummy eggs to see if that helps him get it out of his system.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

some good posts

meanwhile alex has suddenly, inexplicably decided that he no longer likes the green pellets (there are only green and yellow pellets, and they taste the same)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/YgOfS2c.mp4

he screams like this all day, especially if he can't find Mayo or if he's right next to Mayo.