Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Had a fun morning on another new (to me) reservoir. Initially I planned on drop-shotting some nightcrawlers, but after losing the first rig almost immediately, realized I'd left almost all my terminal tackle at home. All I had left was my trusty ned-rigged rod. I put the rest of the worms on the Ned head and pulled in a half-dozen in the 0.5 - 3 lb range. Really nice time. I still can't get over how light they hit on that bait. I end up paying such rapt attention to the line that I can't do the other things I usually do while fishing (get stoned, browse farmersonly.com)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fishing sheepshead with fiddler crabs is an exercise in patience. You just dont do anything while they niblle away and you wait for them to set the hook. Otherwise you just lose them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am still feeding the pond outside my place and the size and quantity of the Bluegills is getting very very nice. The Grey Herons and 18" Snapper are getting very well fed lol

Once again folks, I'm in Valparaiso, Indiana, so if you live in the Chicagoland/NWI area and want to fish a pond that has a lot of decent sized Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass here you go. If you let me know ahead of time, I've got a restroom you can use etc. If you don't like the whole "catching fish" part of fishing, this is not the pond for you.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
There's two problems with this post, 1.) Most of you are in North America, 2.) Even if you were in the UK/Ireland you can't tell what a spot would be like just from an image. So really, I'm only looking for a rough idea.

My story. I bought a cheap rod and reel set from a fishing shop. They said it wasn't awful, and would get me started. Since then I realised I don't actually have a way to get to any shore fishing spots. However, this little rocky bit of land is five minutes from a place I do stay on the coast (I've been warned off more obvious spots due to people being washed away there.)

This two photos are within a salt water harbour, it's mostly enclosed, and it's a fairly trafficked area. I'm just wondering does this have the look of somewhere fish might congregate? This is the south west of Ireland, as I know that can make a difference. I think either way I'm going to come back at some point and throw a rod in there, even if it's hopeless.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
How rough is the surf? That's the only thing I can think that might be an issue. Also how deep is it near those rocks?

I dont fish salt water so other may be more detailed but semi-deep + structure = some type of fish to me. If it is a good type of fish is up in the air :v:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anytime I fished a new coast line I just did basic research on the fish in the area and the type of habitats they like such as sandy bottom, rocks, grass bed, etc. You can learn alot by tossing a line out with a sinker on it to feel what the bottom is like.

You can also look for the difference in the way the waves break and the color of water to find the deeper holes too. When it comes to bait what ever is native works well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I find myself unreasonably angry that Shakespeare no longer makes the best cat fish rod ever made. The entire cat fish rod industry are now only selling broomsticks with no sensitivity as a product. Scalpers are now selling the discontinued rod that used to cost $40 for more than 120. It’s just loving madness.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

I find myself unreasonably angry that Shakespeare no longer makes the best cat fish rod ever made. The entire cat fish rod industry are now only selling broomsticks with no sensitivity as a product. Scalpers are now selling the discontinued rod that used to cost $40 for more than 120. It’s just loving madness.

Which rod would that be?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mrenda posted:

There's two problems with this post, 1.) Most of you are in North America, 2.) Even if you were in the UK/Ireland you can't tell what a spot would be like just from an image. So really, I'm only looking for a rough idea.

My story. I bought a cheap rod and reel set from a fishing shop. They said it wasn't awful, and would get me started. Since then I realised I don't actually have a way to get to any shore fishing spots. However, this little rocky bit of land is five minutes from a place I do stay on the coast (I've been warned off more obvious spots due to people being washed away there.)

This two photos are within a salt water harbour, it's mostly enclosed, and it's a fairly trafficked area. I'm just wondering does this have the look of somewhere fish might congregate? This is the south west of Ireland, as I know that can make a difference. I think either way I'm going to come back at some point and throw a rod in there, even if it's hopeless.
Where those rocks drop off into deeper water is a likely ambush spot for predatory fish, so a baitfish suspended under a bobber might do well.

Otherwise, the mouth of the harbor would make fantastic fishing, especially when the tide is moving strongly through it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Which rod would that be?

The uscacat701mh.

The rod itself is more what I would consider a medium rod to feel like, but its listed as medium heavy. What made this rod special is that the tip of the rod is very sensitive and that limberness extends to basically half the rod. The lower have is the backbone you would expect in a catfish rod and has no issues pulling up monster fish.

What makes this rod great is that its basically the ultimate all purpose rod for catfish. If you are fishing from the bank, its just tall enough to cast things long distances if you don't have or want a surf rod. If you are on a boat, its not so long that wouldn't make suspend/vertical fishing awkward.

In about any situation, the tip is soft enough to let you be able to tell the difference between a nibble and an actual bite/takedown in a way that most rods these days don't. 99% of the catfish focused rods are broomsticks that have so little give that figuring out the difference between and nibble and a real bite is painful. You are basically left to using the clicker on your real and hoping for the best.

It was also cheap (40$) and pretty much indestructible outside of a card door or tailgait. I only own 4 and at this point I wish I had bought 10.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was under the impression that catfish always hooked themselves because everyone used circle hooks for them. I wouldn’t have thought sensitivity mattered since you just wait for them to run.

Love the passion. I thought I had the same model you’re talking about but mine is the two piece spinning version. USSPCAT702MH

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I guess I own a Penn Spinfisher Vi combo. Time to go do some inshore fishing for snook.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I finally actually fished at the pond I feed yesterday with a friend and it's ridiculous. Never took more than 30 seconds to get a bite, usually far far less. We were only targeting the Bluegill, got a few smaller ones but most catches were about 5-6" and we caught a few 7-8". He said fishing here feels like cheating. I've always hated the "sit around and wait" part of fishing so I had a lot of fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was under the impression that catfish always hooked themselves because everyone used circle hooks for them. I wouldn’t have thought sensitivity mattered since you just wait for them to run.

Love the passion. I thought I had the same model you’re talking about but mine is the two piece spinning version. USSPCAT702MH

You are right. The problem comes that if you aren't on a clicker (and essentially letting them take free line at will) the point between taking the bait all the way in their month and just having part of the bait means that a heavy action rod can and will often given enough resistance to make the fish not hook up and pull it free prematurely.

You should be using circle hooks and you should not be setting the hook. The goal is to know when the catfish actually has it and that is where the sensitivity rules. You real down on the fish (instead of setting the hook) you want it to be in their mouth.

Its a lot like a rod you would use for crappie. Ripping baits away from crappie is easy without a nice limber rod.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 3, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Elmnt80 suggested this thread would be a good place to post some reel hot girl poo poo. Probably wants me out of AI :v:

I rebuild reels for friends and family as a hobby so I’m always on the lookout for cheap parts donors & rebuild candidates. My wife spotted this haul on Facebook Marketplace for $30:

I’ve been wanting to build a set of reels for my sister’s kids; there are three Penn 350M levelwinds in that haul that should be perfect for them. They use a rotating twisted rod to move the line side-to-side so there’s a lot less to tangle and they cast like a conventional reel.

I’m going to set them up with identical rods and line so they can all have their own without having to fight for ‘the good rod’. These should be good for jigging, possibly some shore fishing or at their other grandparents’ lake cabin.

First, make sure you have a clean and organized work space:

Not shown: tons of WD-40. It’s magic juice for reel work. Right after that picture I promptly made a mess of everything with WD-40.

I hate stripping line off reels. I have a jig for when I’m saving the line but throwing it away is a PITA, especially after it’s welded itself together with sun and salt.

Tearing everything down, this is the main gear:

I’ve never seen that mode of failure before. Looks like the narrow spot (there’s normally a machined groove there) cracked through and a chunk is missing. Looks like I’ll have to order parts because of course this isn’t shared with any of my parts reels. I’ll put it back together, though, as it works without a load and I’ll order new drag washers to match - the existing ones appear to be 40+ years old.

Installation is reverse of removal :v:

About an hour of scrubbing and assembly later, we have a beautiful and fully functional busted-rear end reel:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thats fuggin awesome. Love that knd of refurb. I just saw a few old penns at the local Saint Vincent DePauls thrift shop but i dont have a need for them.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a fishing trip coming up and could use some advice.

I fish the Potomac for smallmouth. The bottom is really rocky. I usually use ned rig, but dont rig it weedless or anything, just that ned rig hook. Problem is, with the rocky bottom, I know I'm going to hang up a lot. I've just got a Dobins Fury rod, and am new to running braid and a leader.

If I don't figure out how to rig up a worm so that it doesn't get hung up on the bottom, I forsee a day of not a lot of fun for me tying a ton of alberto knots and lost lures since i'm running braid / flouro leader on my main rod now.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this? I can also run a texas or carolina rig with a bigger worm, but never really learned how to do this that well. I can always do some internet homework but figured I'd start with this thread first.

I might bring an extra rod to just have something else on so in case I do snag a lot, I'll be able to tie on more lures quickly.

I can also run other lure types, like rapalas or whatnot so suggestions welcome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Planet X posted:

I fish the Potomac for smallmouth. The bottom is really rocky. I usually use ned rig, but dont rig it weedless or anything, just that ned rig hook. Problem is, with the rocky bottom, I know I'm going to hang up a lot. I've just got a Dobins Fury rod, and am new to running braid and a leader.

If I don't figure out how to rig up a worm so that it doesn't get hung up on the bottom, I forsee a day of not a lot of fun for me tying a ton of alberto knots and lost lures since i'm running braid / flouro leader on my main rod now.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this? I can also run a texas or carolina rig with a bigger worm, but never really learned how to do this that well. I can always do some internet homework but figured I'd start with this thread first.

I might bring an extra rod to just have something else on so in case I do snag a lot, I'll be able to tie on more lures quickly.

I can also run other lure types, like rapalas or whatnot so suggestions welcome.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/charlie-brewers-slider-heads-pro-series-spider
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flatlands_Tackle_Swinging_Weedless_Ned_Heads_1_0_3pk/descpage-FLWN.html
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Bottom_Knocker_Offset_Jig_Head_4pk/descpage-GBK.html
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flatlands_Custom_Tackle_Weedless_Ned_Heads/descpage-FLATWN.html

These are good alternatives to ned rigs when you feel like you are going to get hung up. They are designed to be hooked up texas style, while still being light and hooking up well with ned baits. Tacklewarehouse is extremely slow shipping these days, but these brands and styles are easy to look for in most tackle stores.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

:hmmyes:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I actually don’t care for it much but I bought a case back in December and I’m slowly working through it. It’s my garage beer; I felt like I should have something in the garage to offer people but I clearly didn’t think through that nobody is in my garage these days.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

In-line spinners are deadly on smallmouth in the Potomac. They're also a lot tougher to hang up than a senko worm.

My favorite spot around there is the highway 7 bridge over the Shenandoah river. Just wade upstream (south) up the middle and cast towards the shore and any rocks. Absolutely loaded with smallmouth. Especially nice when its balls-hot in the summer.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Muddler minnows on a fly rod are also bass candy on the potomac and Shenandoah. Just use a noodly 4wt and man what fun!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ThePopeOfFun posted:

:hmmyes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Advent Horizon posted:

Elmnt80 suggested this thread would be a good place to post some reel hot girl poo poo. Probably wants me out of AI :v:

I rebuild reels for friends and family as a hobby so I’m always on the lookout for cheap parts donors & rebuild candidates. My wife spotted this haul on Facebook Marketplace for $30:

I’ve been wanting to build a set of reels for my sister’s kids; there are three Penn 350M levelwinds in that haul that should be perfect for them. They use a rotating twisted rod to move the line side-to-side so there’s a lot less to tangle and they cast like a conventional reel.

I’m going to set them up with identical rods and line so they can all have their own without having to fight for ‘the good rod’. These should be good for jigging, possibly some shore fishing or at their other grandparents’ lake cabin.

First, make sure you have a clean and organized work space:

Not shown: tons of WD-40. It’s magic juice for reel work. Right after that picture I promptly made a mess of everything with WD-40.

I hate stripping line off reels. I have a jig for when I’m saving the line but throwing it away is a PITA, especially after it’s welded itself together with sun and salt.

Tearing everything down, this is the main gear:

I’ve never seen that mode of failure before. Looks like the narrow spot (there’s normally a machined groove there) cracked through and a chunk is missing. Looks like I’ll have to order parts because of course this isn’t shared with any of my parts reels. I’ll put it back together, though, as it works without a load and I’ll order new drag washers to match - the existing ones appear to be 40+ years old.

Installation is reverse of removal :v:

About an hour of scrubbing and assembly later, we have a beautiful and fully functional busted-rear end reel:

Amazing post dude. You out in Washington? I've never seen that style of Penn with the twisted square rod. Gonna keep my eye out for them. I've collected a few of them over the years with a mind to do what you are doing but I got a lot of other things on my plate.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Finally got a productive fishing day, gently caress.

Started off early with a spoon, some ned rigging and wacky rigging just dicking around with no real bites. Made our way back to a more secluded pond with a good sized gator friend, figuring he was eating something or other.

Nothing for scale, but he was prob 6-7ft long, getting some good sun.

Buddy pulled up this monster...haven't seen a largemouth this big in a minute.

Switched over to a basic carolina rig with a purpley worm

Caught a little largemouth (no pics) and this little white crappie (I think) which I wasn't targeting and didn't even know was in the pond.

Moved over to another small pond and caught this little guy near a culvert.

Turns out, catching fish is more fun than not catching fish. I should've just been doing this the whole time. Who knew?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LeeMajors posted:

Finally got a productive fishing day, gently caress.

Started off early with a spoon, some ned rigging and wacky rigging just dicking around with no real bites. Made our way back to a more secluded pond with a good sized gator friend, figuring he was eating something or other.

Nothing for scale, but he was prob 6-7ft long, getting some good sun.

Buddy pulled up this monster...haven't seen a largemouth this big in a minute.

Switched over to a basic carolina rig with a purpley worm

Caught a little largemouth (no pics) and this little white crappie (I think) which I wasn't targeting and didn't even know was in the pond.

Moved over to another small pond and caught this little guy near a culvert.

Turns out, catching fish is more fun than not catching fish. I should've just been doing this the whole time. Who knew?

I want to see the crappie you're catching if that's little. Scaling up from your middle fingernail, I estimate 350 mm. Maybe it's not a monster, but I'd filet that one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I want to see the crappie you're catching if that's little. Scaling up from your middle fingernail, I estimate 350 mm. Maybe it's not a monster, but I'd filet that one.

Nice to hear!

I’m pretty new to freshwater fishing and I did some bass fishing as a kid with my dad. That’s the first one I’ve caught.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
LeeMajors have you ever fished topwater lures? If you're in the southeast, now's a good time to get them on the topwater. Try late afternoon / early evening. Here are a couple I caught on walking / popper baits yesterday between 5:15 and 6:15. Both were less than 5 feet off of the bank. If you think catching bass on a Carolina rig is fun your head will explode when they start hitting on topwater.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A Pack of Kobolds ned rig catches fish! This was a fat 12” smallie, almost ready to spawn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Anyone try the new line of shimano baitcasting reels that are designed to replace spinning rigs? BFS?

Am I being con'd or are these the real deal?7

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sickening posted:

Anyone try the new line of shimano baitcasting reels that are designed to replace spinning rigs? BFS?

Am I being con'd or are these the real deal?7

I’m using one to fish right now. I really like it. I just caught a few schoolie Striper with it in some saltwater and then packed it on my bike and caught two trout with it in upstate New York. Works great.

It also soothes my brain to have shimano drivetrain on my bike and shimano fishing gear. Gotta always be matching

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Time posted:

I’m using one to fish right now. I really like it. I just caught a few schoolie Striper with it in some saltwater and then packed it on my bike and caught two trout with it in upstate New York. Works great.

It also soothes my brain to have shimano drivetrain on my bike and shimano fishing gear. Gotta always be matching

I have fished all my life and nothing drives me up a wall more than light line on a spinning reel. It feels awful to cast, the line twist is loving gross, and I will deal with a birdnest all day compared to the murder scenes that happen when line gets all twisted up in a spinning reel.

The shimano curado has a bfs coming out next month on preorder. I just bought one because I am dumb. I hope this thing turns out legit. I am a little skeptical at only being able to spool up 40 yards of 8lb line, but there is a chance that this is just better than spooling up 200 yards of lines you will only ever use 30% of.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sickening posted:

I have fished all my life and nothing drives me up a wall more than light line on a spinning reel. It feels awful to cast, the line twist is loving gross, and I will deal with a birdnest all day compared to the murder scenes that happen when line gets all twisted up in a spinning reel.

The shimano curado has a bfs coming out next month on preorder. I just bought one because I am dumb. I hope this thing turns out legit. I am a little skeptical at only being able to spool up 40 yards of 8lb line, but there is a chance that this is just better than spooling up 200 yards of lines you will only ever use 30% of.

It’s not just preorder, some units have already hit stateside for the 2021 bfs. I got mine from our local guy 2 weeks ago and it’s great for what it is. From what I gather the distribution network is all kinds of screwed up right now from shimano

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Easychair Bootson posted:

LeeMajors have you ever fished topwater lures? If you're in the southeast, now's a good time to get them on the topwater. Try late afternoon / early evening. Here are a couple I caught on walking / popper baits yesterday between 5:15 and 6:15. Both were less than 5 feet off of the bank. If you think catching bass on a Carolina rig is fun your head will explode when they start hitting on topwater.

Not since I was a kid but I don’t remember catching much on them. I remember mostly Texas rigging and loving around catching baby bass in South Georgia while my dad was regularly ripping up 8-12lb monsters in pristine, remote, lillypadded, gator laden lakes in the late 80s and early 90s.

I did much better bottom fishing in salt and brack.

I’ll definitely pick up a couple. They’re not weighted right? Snap swivels ok? I haven’t tied one on in like 30yrs.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

LeeMajors posted:

I’ll definitely pick up a couple. They’re not weighted right? Snap swivels ok? I haven’t tied one on in like 30yrs.

Yeah something like this or this (both in the 3" size) for the popper, and along these lines for the walker, although I haven't fished that particular one. I'm sure snap swivels would work fine, but I just tie straight to the line tie. I fish these with mono line on a medium power rod.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah something like this or this (both in the 3" size) for the popper, and along these lines for the walker, although I haven't fished that particular one. I'm sure snap swivels would work fine, but I just tie straight to the line tie. I fish these with mono line on a medium power rod.

I’ve had great success with the Rapala UL pop too. Silver/blue is a fish getter.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_Ultra_Light_Pop_Popper/descpage-RULP.html

I’ve never tried top water on a snap swivel. I also just tie directly on.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A Pack of Kobolds ned rig catches fish! This was a fat 12” smallie, almost ready to spawn.

:neckbeard:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Oh we're talking about chunks that we caught on Kobold's Workshop tackle?

I took an underspin and replaced the blade with a 5g dickspoon from KW as a bit of a goof and 10 minutes later this gal chomped it. 4 lbs 10 oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Has anyone fished Lake Vermilion in Minnesota? We're going up next weekend four walleye. We'll be on the west side if you have any tips. It sounds like jig and minnow are the best bet for walleye right now.