Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Madkal posted:

Can we change the thread title from Country award winner Trent Reznor to Annie award winner Trent Reznor please.
NAACP Image Award Winner Trent Reznor & The Nine Inch Nails

e: Ooh poo poo, new ixi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3IjT-V1YU

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rageaholic posted:

Trent and Atticus (and Jon Batiste) on the Oscar stage accepting for Soul :swoon:

e: https://twitter.com/ssunspotss/status/1386462610837544963

Ah yes, the obvious successor to the Perfect Drug goatee, the dirtbag stache and five o'clock shadow

E: I tried, I gave up (shaving)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I, Butthole posted:

E: I tried, I gave up (shaving)

Me, I'm Not (shaving)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I try to shave myself, but my hand keeps slipping away

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dude looks like he just got done with his role as an extra on deadwood

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
Maybe Trent has a really poo poo Mirror and can’t see well enough to shave.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My friend described his current look at "gas station attendant chic" and it's very accurate.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He reminds me of Thom Yorke :allears:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He looks like John Marston from the original Red Dead Redemption art

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hate to say it but looks like Trent attended the Trump School of Standing in all but one of those shots

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Walrus posted:

hate to say it but looks like Trent attended the Trump School of Standing in all but one of those shots

Yeah, and Atticus is pulling a major tory power stance.
Maybe they're doing it as a joke
I hope

is Atticus a tory

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
putting the fun in dysfunctional

The Walrus posted:

Ha, you’re right. Especially the wide-stanced one.

Mariqueen looks stunning.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

As if you goons wouldn’t be awkward as gently caress on the red carpet too

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I don't like even being in big group pictures, I would hate having to stand on display like that

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

It's Trent's tie being crooked that gets me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Don't ask me to explain because I can't. Just passing this along from Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpj4gVQLmCQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

As someone who plays Animal Crossing regularly, lmao, this is great :bisonyes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Perfect.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Sir Lemming posted:

Incredible - I splitscreened it alongside the original and it's crazy accurate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PalaNIN posted:

Incredible - I splitscreened it alongside the original and it's crazy accurate.

She did this for you already: https://youtu.be/eCy8SK8A0bQ

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

W_T will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the album that introduced me to the band and led me down this wild rabbit hole of Trent Reznor. Listening to it today, I think I like it even more than I did at release. Also it has the single greatest NIN lyric of all time.
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1389264650529742850
Get your head on a spring and listen to Awitha Teetha today!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caseman posted:

W_T will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the album that introduced me to the band and led me down this wild rabbit hole of Trent Reznor. Listening to it today, I think I like it even more than I did at release. Also it has the single greatest NIN lyric of all time.
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1389264650529742850
I have this very specific memory of being on the phone with a friend from high school while playing the Doom 3 expansion pack and my friend was playing With Teeth (which he got on release day) so I was hearing it over the phone. I guess that was also the album that introduced me to NIN, even though I didn't get really into them until 2 years later when Year Zero came out.

I'm sure I'd heard Closer and Head Like a Hole on the local alternative radio station prior to that when I was younger, but With Teeth was likely the first time I was actively aware that I was listening to Nine Inch Nails.

The album's still great, even if they barely play any songs from it live anymore. I gotta listen to it again.

e: HEALTH and NIN collaborated?! :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1389295534343704578

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Caseman posted:

Also it has the single greatest NIN lyric of all time.

Well, don't keep us in suspense!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

hatelull posted:

Well, don't keep us in suspense!

I've got my arms that flip, flop, flip, flop, flip

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Caseman posted:

That first web teaser with the Beside You In Time clip was mindblowing for me. I got into NIN after The Fragile came out and WT was the first new NIN album release that I was able to experience. Time to give it another whirl!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think when With Teeth came out I was still getting over my college pretentiousness where I decided I didn’t really like NIN for Reasons. The album does feel a lot more mainstream accessible than the older works so I think I was trying to dislike it at first. Still not my favorite, but All The Love In The World is one of his top-tier songs.

Year Zero coming out only two years after With Teeth was absolutely mind blowing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
With Teeth is easier to like when you know it's not NIN's permanent new direction. It was just a brief attempt at making more of a rock record.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
With Teeth loving owns honestly. Its just straight bangers honestly, no real boring moment on the record for me.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

With Teeth loving owns honestly. Its just straight bangers honestly, no real boring moment on the record for me.

yep it loving rules

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Aaron North was incredible on guitar for the supporting tour. His playing on 'The Big Come Down' on the Beside You in Time tour DVD was awesome.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
only is a top 5 NIN song don't @ me

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

Aaron North was incredible on guitar for the supporting tour. His playing on 'The Big Come Down' on the Beside You in Time tour DVD was awesome.

My absolute fav from that dvd mmhmm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beside You in Time is a rad song

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I skipped class (high school, Junior year) to go to Best Buy the next town over and buy With Teeth on release day and they had a big display of them and a bunch of other weirdos were there getting it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had to order Year Zero from my small town bookstore and it blew my mind when the disc changed color in my walkman

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Beside You in Time is a rad song

that one's good and another good one is Home and The Line Begins to Blur. and All the Love in the World. It's just easy to like that album a hell load!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how do we get trent his tony

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also its a surprising contender but poo poo Mirror has been a regular staple of my workout/showering playlists. a good bop, seems to be one of the better tracks from the album imo.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

poo poo Mirror rules

With Teeth is ok. I got into NIN in the run-up to Year Zero and it didn't super click for me during the time when I was bingeing their back catalogue. I do think You Know What You Are? is a really good song tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This discussion made me want to listen through the album track by track again, so here goes.

All The Love In The World - I think this is still my favorite. Obviously you can't have a whole album of this kind of thing, exactly. But it's kind of the "Piggy" of this album.

You Know What You Are - And I think this is still my least favorite. Not unlike "Starfuckers", it's very very loud and angry but yet really kind of monotonous.

The Collector - People always dogged on the lyrics for this one, and I guess it sounds kind of silly sometimes ("I pick things up... I am a collector..."). But I still think it really rocks. The drum groove is just killer, and it has one of those tricky meters that fits NIN well. (A bit like "The Becoming", but inverted)

The Hand That Feeds - My opinion of this has basically stayed exactly the same for 16 years. It's a just-okay NIN buttrock song. These days, "Less Than" has pretty much completely replaced it in my mental playlist; it's the same thing but better.

Love Is Not Enough - This to me is one that needed a different production approach. Many have said the live version is better, which I think is mainly because of the cymbal crashes and other loud dynamics in the chorus. I think that would work, in conjunction with the verses having more intricate, glitchy synth percussion and maybe a slower feel.

Every Day Is Exactly The Same - I've always liked this one, but I prefer the slightly shorter alternate version Trent released on the NINRemix site. It flows better without as much repetition.

With Teeth - Pretty solid, but it falls into a similar category as "Love Is Not Enough" where I want it to have more of a dry studio synth sound and less "rock band" energy. I think that would benefit not only this song but also the album as a whole, which sounds a little samey when you listen all the way through.

Only - Straight-up friggin' banger.

Getting Smaller - Ditto. The only part I'm not crazy about is the bridge, sonically (the grungy little guitar starts to grate a little here) or lyrically ("believe / achieve"... maybe no lyrics at all would've been the better choice here. Guitar solo maybe? Why not?)

Sunspots - Another highlight, this is one of the lower-energy songs that I don't feel is hampered by the "rock" production in any way.

The Line Begins To Blur, Beside You In Time, Right Where It Belongs - I don't really have anything to say about these either, they're all really good and I wouldn't change a thing.

So yeah, the album definitely finishes really strong, and almost starts really strong except for track 2 that I'm not crazy about... Somewhere in the middle it could've used a few things. A few different sounds to mix things up a little. But still, a really strong album.