Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Paper Tiger posted:

Any time I have a laughing fit I say "Oh, mercy" when I'm done, because I'm a total square just like Principal Skinner.

Well I'm not made of stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not gonna lie, if there was a monorail in my town I'd think it was awesome.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Doing this:

This is ripe for Elysium posting.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Whenever I'm getting my purse and poo poo together to leave and someone's in the room I'll give them a flat "I have to go now. My Planet needs me."

edit: and "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!" has become a colloquialism between me and my sister for when things are dragging on in a piece of media.

Filthy Haiku fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 2, 2021

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm a big fan of

• "Way to X no-X".
  • "This sounds like Rock and/or Roll!"
  • "I am familiar with the works of X"
  • "Now that's a dilly of a pickle!"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't believe were all forgot this one:

It was so popular at one point that it became bannable in gbs

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've always been partial to "now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Craptacular is a wonderful word.

Add me to the long list of people who use “where’s Poochie?” and other lines from that episode. Also a Ralph-like “that’s unpossible!”

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Cacator posted:

I've always been partial to "now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice."

Oh and see I prefer to suggest celebration with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Also everywhere I live I describe it as a "crapshack" which I'm fairly certain is a Bart word.

I miss working with other fans of classic Simpsons. In my old office there was a Simpsons reference in basically every conversation, and it drove crazy the girl who didn't ever watch the show.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I answer the phone "Ya-hoy hoy" when it's like my dad or one of my friends or something. A lot.

I regularly ask to subscribe to people's newsletters, and when I'm on a road trip every time I see a new town like "Corona is America's Scrod basket, at least according to newsweek".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I answer the phone "Ya-hoy hoy" when it's like my dad or one of my friends or something. A lot.

I regularly ask to subscribe to people's newsletters, and when I'm on a road trip every time I see a new town like "Corona is America's Scrod basket, at least according to newsweek".

It's "Ahoy-hoy". It's how Alexander Graham Bell originally wanted people to answer the phone.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For me it's:

https://i.imgur.com/JZRGZik.mp4

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Incredible interview alert

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not signing up for the New Yorker, can we get some highlights?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

mind the walrus posted:

https://outline.com/EwF7GZ

Edit: it's insane how many paywalls can be bypassed by outline.com.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 2, 2021

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mind the walrus posted:

quote:

Do you still consider comedy writing to be the easiest job on the planet?

No, sir. I do not.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

quote:

What do you make of the compliment “Swartzweldian”?

I guess I understand what they’re driving at, and it all sounds very complimentary, and I thank everybody for that, but I can’t help thinking “Swartzweldian” is about the most awkward-sounding word in the English language. I mean, I thought “Oakleyesque” and “Vittiriffic” [after “Simpsons” writers Bill Oakley and Jon Vitti] were bad, but “Swartzweldian”!

So how would you describe your sense of humor, your comedic sensibility?

Swartzweldian.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

No poo poo

edit:

^^^ This is a great example of why jerkass Homer sucks since like season 13. People forgot about writing him like a dog.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 2, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcbKhAWErFE

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

flavor.flv posted:

I can't believe were all forgot this one:

It was so popular at one point that it became bannable in gbs

There were at least a few others. "I for one welcome out new _________ overlords" was banned as well.

I'd love to see a giant out of context list of everything that was banned at one point or another.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I will remember the Common Brushtail Possum as long as I live

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

John Swartzwelder posted:

Grimey was asking for it the whole episode. He didn’t approve of our Homer. He was asking for it, and he got it.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What in the hell was that? Sounds like a Weird Al James Bond song.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dr_Amazing posted:

There were at least a few others. "I for one welcome out new _________ overlords" was banned as well.

I'd love to see a giant out of context list of everything that was banned at one point or another.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tbf Orange Is The New Black made millions

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

loquacius posted:

tbf Orange Is The New Black made millions

And it was a great show but not a sitcom :thunk:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

And it was a great show but not a sitcom :thunk:

Nor was it a barn, English.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quote:

Since writing is very hard and rewriting is comparatively easy and rather fun, I always write my scripts all the way through as fast as I can, the first day, if possible, putting in crap jokes and pattern dialogue—“Homer, I don’t want you to do that.” “Then I won’t do it.” Then the next day, when I get up, the script’s been written. It’s lousy, but it’s a script. The hard part is done. It’s like a crappy little elf has snuck into my office and badly done all my work for me, and then left with a tip of his crappy hat. All I have to do from that point on is fix it. So I’ve taken a very hard job, writing, and turned it into an easy one, rewriting, overnight.

:allears:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bug Squash posted:

This is ripe for Elysium posting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Even for the 1980s, this set looks so loving cheap.

The New Yorker interview is loving great and it made me want to buy some of his books.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I use "Yes, yes its all a rich tapestry" when its applicable

I wish I could replace the little plat grenade with this (or a version that looks a little better in the fancy new dark mode)

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 3, 2021

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

GoutPatrol posted:

The New Yorker interview is loving great and it made me want to buy some of his books.

It's such a well furnished and spacious jail cell too.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

What was the story with small Bart?

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

it's a small picture of bart

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hm. Your story checks out. That concludes all of my questioning on the subject.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
As I recall, secondhand, the conversation went something like this.

OP: You guuuuuys my internet takes ages to load pictures so please don't post them unless they're actually relevant.

Goons: *pictures galore, several becoming minor memes*I

Mods: WTF is all this hullabaloo, be sensible everyone, stop posting massive pictures

Goons: *Smaller and smaller pictures*

Mods: I'm warning you... Knock it off with the small barts

Goons: :smallbart:

Mods: Thats it! Probation time! *melts down, hands out bans/probes*

Goons: :smallbart::smallbart::smallbart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

"Women in prison... It writes itself!" sounds exactly like a classic simpsons joke as well, I can easily picture a short skit about that show starring someone like Krusty or Troy McClure.

Even though I knew he was the mastermind behind countless episodes of the show, what's really remarkable about that interview is seeing just how much of the show's comedic voice was actually his voice all along. You can see it bleeding through whenever he mentions one of his gags or when he deadpans about 'Schwartzweldian' humour- we've all just been talking about how simpsonisms have become part of our natural speech and thought processes, when really it's him that we've been channeling all along.