Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i wish command-space tex-tab would open a NEW textedit instead of just picking one that i already have open. I'd go for the open one if i wanted it!! I want a new place to put poo poo, dumb compute!!!!!
command-tab to your already running application, command-n for a new document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
if you want to encumber your macos installation with all that linux bullshit, i think that it’s cool that the option is there for those whose brains are broken in that particular way.

but if apple wants to try and make people think macos is a real unix then they should be required to support fully replacing finder with cde. that’s my standard for real unixness if it has a desktop environment at all. no other technical requirements for me and my particular brain defects. it could run on top of the os/2 kernel for all i care as long as “ls” works i guess.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like nautilus more than finder lol. also textedit doesnt have numbers on newlines or whatever which pisses me off personally

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

does apple contribute to brew at all. like, it’s so critical to my mac satisfaction but i don’t want it to flail out in open sores neglect/drama and you know apple would never do something similar directly for lots of reasons

like can timb just do something to make sure that there is a good nerd package manager on macos forever

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

well, in a year or so linux might work properly on the m1

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

well, in a year or so linux might work properly on the m1

longer than that if you want graphics

marcan & co are very good at what they do, but they've only scratched the surface thus far

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gentle Autist posted:

does apple contribute to brew at all. like, it’s so critical to my mac satisfaction but i don’t want it to flail out in open sores neglect/drama and you know apple would never do something similar directly for lots of reasons

like can timb just do something to make sure that there is a good nerd package manager on macos forever

apple almost started bundling a version of ports with mac os x, when it was named that and stebe was still around

it showed up in beta versions of one of the cat named operating systems but got pulled before release :rip:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
brew distributes gplv3 code, which is corporate poison so Apple won’t officially touch it. but I’m pretty sure there are Apple employees unofficially contributing to it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

big sur comes with python 2.7. are there people still desperately clinging to py2 functionality??

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wasn't it the author or brew who interviewed at one of those giant tech companies and got the "yeah, 90% of the people who work here use my software, but because i couldn't invert a binary tree in 90 seconds on a whiteboard i'm obviously not qualified to work here"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

wasn't it the author or brew who interviewed at one of those giant tech companies and got the "yeah, 90% of the people who work here use my software, but because i couldn't invert a binary tree in 90 seconds on a whiteboard i'm obviously not qualified to work here"

yes though in retrospect google appears to have been 100% correct

the author of a package manager not understanding recursion and trees should be rather concerning

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao "i'm a journalist, therefore I don't have to spell things correctly!"
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1388960138912952327

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao @ cory doctorow, journalist

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

of all his takes that's the goofiest. thank CoRy DoCtOrOw

technically correct as i capitalized the first letter, you s-

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao what a dumbassed take (unsurprising, considering the source)

for someone who's purportedly all about freedom, dude is an awful prescriptivist

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 3, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How many of you say 'my iPhone' or 'the iPhone' instead of just 'iPhone' though?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how many of us are cory doctorow, journalist?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you find a self-serious journalist in yospos who uses articles in front of apple product names, go hog wild

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Laslow posted:

i’m guessing gedit doesn’t actually require all of gnome as a dependency, but maybe gtk? is that still a thing? because iirc that package was always large enough itself to the point where it could be mistaken for all of gnome based on its size.

the G in gedit stands for GNOME

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

How many of you say 'my iPhone' or 'the iPhone' instead of just 'iPhone' though?

iPhones mine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i, phone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
of course it’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of an iphone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

i despise that in marketing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the lack of definite article was buried in some secret corporate bylaw by steve shortly before his death and any executive who says it wrong loses all their rsus

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i liked his book about the guy whose father is a mountain and mother is a washing machine

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will never capitalise any part of iphone and continue to fight ios and macos whenever they try and autocorrect it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i always read his name as “doctor cornrow”

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

I will never capitalise any part of iphone and continue to fight ios and macos whenever they try and autocorrect it

always say “eye oss”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
removed lol

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
don't drink and post

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 3, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

always say “eye oss”

"oh ess ex"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

iospos

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

shut up smythe

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

“osks”

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

shut up smythe

lol if your eyes didn't slide off that post partway through

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

IUG posted:

lol if your eyes didn't slide off that post partway through

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

double double post post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tl;dr: i'm tired of being ostracized for buying lovely phones. i need the blue bubble