Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I did my first 100km+ ride today, feeling very satisfied and can confirm the thread title.

Slow and steady :)
Next up, of course, a proper century (once it's a bit warmer outside and perhaps on a less windy day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I get on my bike to ride home and this absolute motherfucker has let the air out my front tyre.
Lol i’d have threatened bodily harm the first loving time, what is wrong with him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FireTora posted:

Yeah, Bearpope is in the mart, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885509. FredLordofCheese does it.

I just ordered a couple kits to help you out at the end. It's too bad it didn't work out for you in the long run, I liked your style.

Thanks. I think I just didn't have, you know, whatever it is that makes people that do this successful. I was lacking the connections and the marketing budget to compete. Probably started about 2 years too late to do it the way I tried to really. Either way I'm still happy I did it, at least I have an answer to 'Well what if???'

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I did my first 100km+ ride today, feeling very satisfied and can confirm the thread title.

Next up, of course, a proper century (once it's a bit warmer outside and perhaps on a less windy day)

:hellyeah:

Keep it up

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

4 years ago you guys gave me the push to do something I'd always wanted to do, which was design and make my own kits. I did it on my own with far too little money behind me and just a handful of friends backing me up. I learnt some horrendously harsh lessons but at the same time I can now count a Track champion as a friend and I got my stuff on Olympic Gold medalists. Not bad for a guy who just wanted to make bonkers stuff for himself really.

I'm going to be closing the store down in a few weeks and I've reduced my prices to reflect that.

Thank you for all your support goons. A bunch of you have got my stuff and it really meant a lot to me.

This was a fun project to follow, sorry it didn't end up working out. I've been meaning to buy some kits, just threw in an order for a bunch. I'll be looking fly in no time.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
PSA to any Portland area goons, my brothers bike was stolen out of his apartments bike storage this morning. It's a Salsa Journeyman Apex, black with purple pedals. Not sure what resources are available other than filing a police report (already done) and scouring CL/FB marketplace.

Someone busted through a security window with a grinder and blow torch in hand. Thankfully they weren’t able to cut through the lock on his much more expensive mountain bike. Needless to say he’s moving that into his apartment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

Thank you for all your support goons. A bunch of you have got my stuff and it really meant a lot to me.

Got the email through while at a cafe stop (appropriately enough), ordered a load of random stuff while waiting for my mac and cheese scotch egg, 100% zero regrets.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yoohoo posted:

PSA to any Portland area goons, my brothers bike was stolen out of his apartments bike storage this morning. It's a Salsa Journeyman Apex, black with purple pedals. Not sure what resources are available other than filing a police report (already done) and scouring CL/FB marketplace.

Someone busted through a security window with a grinder and blow torch in hand. Thankfully they weren’t able to cut through the lock on his much more expensive mountain bike. Needless to say he’s moving that into his apartment.

https://bikeindex.org

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I stripped all the paint off the frame, fork, and crankset of that cheap fixie. The forks took the blue, but the frame is either stainless or aluminium. It weights 4 lbs almost exactly, scratches reasonably easily, and isn't magnetic, so I'm guessing it's aluminium. So I guess I'm running a raw (+clear coat) aluminum stainless frame with blue forks. I blued the crankset too, but the looking at the chainring I'm finding that it's a bit bent, so I'll likely replace it. It's a one piece ring/cranks, so it all gets swapped.

EDIT: the more I read about aluminum vs steel, the more I think it's stainless. I used a wire cup on an angle grinder for some stubborn paint deposits, and it sounds like if it were aluminum It'd have gouged the hell out of it, which It didn't.

This also means the bike probably isnt from Pure cycles, just the wheels. (maybe not? it doesn't really matter).

The next question then becomes: Do I want as many polished/raw components as I can get, or do I want to run raw with black components? I'm leaning toward contrast since I already up and blued the fork.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 2, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

Bearpope is something different.

My site is https://www.sundayclubclothing.com

ahh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding...these are pretty affordable! i think i'm in for a hex kit

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

4 years ago you guys gave me the push to do something I'd always wanted to do, which was design and make my own kits. I did it on my own with far too little money behind me and just a handful of friends backing me up. I learnt some horrendously harsh lessons but at the same time I can now count a Track champion as a friend and I got my stuff on Olympic Gold medalists. Not bad for a guy who just wanted to make bonkers stuff for himself really.

I'm going to be closing the store down in a few weeks and I've reduced my prices to reflect that.

Just bought some final stuff. Love the designs, it was always disappointing to hear about the supplier fuckery.

How’s that crash replacement policy gonna hold up??? :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just bought some final stuff. Love the designs, it was always disappointing to hear about the supplier fuckery.

How’s that crash replacement policy gonna hold up??? :v:

I'm gonna honour it with a voucher to an online store.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Do you have stuff in fat American sizes?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

This really sucks and I hope your brother gets it back somehow. Working in a shop and hearing all the stolen bike stories has made it clear that there's no safe common area in any condo/apartment building to leave bikes. They're robbed so very often.

Some kid was mugged at knifepoint yesterday morning for his bike on a MUP in a fairly affluent neighborhood. This bike theft situation is really getting out of hand.

Keep your heads on a swivel, everyone.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Nothing as wild as my mountain adventure route last week but it's cool that more flat 💯 mi rides are starting to not feel too taxing on the body. Pulled the trigger on a Brooks B-17 too so hopefully that'll help with extendo ride gunch pressure after it's broken in.

I did see a rad sun halo and sun dogs for the first time ever at one point on the ride back though! I've caught the lunar version of this but had no idea it could happen with the sun too.

Angryhead posted:

👏👏👏

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hekk posted:

Do you have stuff in fat American sizes?

I mean it depends how big we're talking. My best friend is around the 100kg mark and fits the 2XL stuff which is the biggest sizes I have left.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

I mean it depends how big we're talking. My best friend is around the 100kg mark and fits the 2XL stuff which is the biggest sizes I have left.

I'm around 100kg, and if I'm a bit above I need 2XL and a bit below then XL, for reference.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Objurium posted:

Nothing as wild as my mountain adventure route last week but it's cool that more flat 💯 mi rides are starting to not feel too taxing on the body. Pulled the trigger on a Brooks B-17 too so hopefully that'll help with extendo ride gunch pressure after it's broken in.

they’re heavy as hell but man the b17 is comfy

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A hero to us all.

I've been meaning to get some proper bike clothes, I'll join in the vulturing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks goons!

For those of you not in the UK its a holiday today so everything will be despatched tomorrow for you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Anyone gone from a arione to a tune speedneedle? Love my 15 year old arione so will probably get another one for the new build but the tune looks baller and just wondering how they might compare.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Angryhead posted:

Hell yeah!

Me, my girlfriend and her friend also did our first ever 100km ride yesterday. Made a route that took on the highest road pass in Wales too so the legs are definitely tired now. The moving time would be a bit less but we spent the first 30 mins looking for some public toilets in Abergavenny! :D

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wow, gorgeous pictures and a nice ride!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Aphex- posted:

Hell yeah!

Me, my girlfriend and her friend also did our first ever 100km ride yesterday. Made a route that took on the highest road pass in Wales too so the legs are definitely tired now. The moving time would be a bit less but we spent the first 30 mins looking for some public toilets in Abergavenny! :D

That looks fantastic

breaks
May 12, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

New chain(s) (3 of them, this is the recumbent). Soaked in alcohol for a few weeks. I applied Super Secret on the bike itself, no soaking.

Super Secret now has a hot-wax version but I'll stick with the liquid for ease of re-application.

Sorry for digging up this post from a few days ago but I wanted to say thanks for the reply. It prompted me to not skip some kind of long soak during the degreasing and I think that probably made the difference. I did several 1 minute shakes and a 24 hour sit in mineral spirits followed by a couple more shakes, then let it sit in liquid super secret for a couple hours to get the initial wax on there, and the second chain is silent as expected now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have recommended road bike routes for Zion, Grand Canyon, Escalante, etc. general vicinity? I’ll have a week or so with my bike after doing the Iron Horse in Durango so ideally aiming for doing a few hours every morning.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
where THE gently caress is the DRILLED frame at?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

License to Drill

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Megathread 5:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

where THE gently caress is the DRILLED frame at?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
POZZ my NEG drillHOLE

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
First we need to acquire drillium in the form of boutique German finishing components.
Then we add chinesium with Juintech brakes.
Finally, drill baby, drill.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Soon

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yessss

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
please use a drill press

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

please get someone to film it so you can hold the drill steady

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

please use a drill press

Professionals use drill presses because they're cowards

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

I couldn't find the It's Happening smiley so uh :dehumanize:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Aphex- posted:

Hell yeah!

Dead Nerve posted:

:hellyeah:

Keep it up

Objurium posted:

👏👏👏

Thanks y'all! This thread has been a big inspiration for a while now, especially the great pictures. (I didn't take any besides my goony face refueling on ice cream halfway through and I'll spare you of that for now)
e: I'll throw in a pic of a tall tree

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks goons!

For those of you not in the UK its a holiday today so everything will be despatched tomorrow for you.
Also ordered one and got the shipment confirmation today, whoo!

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 4, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This feels like a dumb question but if I want to convert a wheelset with a shimano freehub to campy, do I need a freehub body specific to the hub?

Some HED jet blacks popped up on the pros closet, thinking about grabbing them for my slow-burn project build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes, freehub body designs are particular to hub models.