Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I only started watching the show and I'm on episode 5, but very stupid question, to the point I don't want an answer, only to laugh at comic book logic: why doesn't the Mauler mark his clone with a C or something on the bottom of the clone's foot?

I guess it's like a difference between intelligent and smart.

Also would have been funny if It was like Multiplicity and the clone of the clone is degraded.

Edit: VVV Yep, reminds me of Tesla's machine in The Prestige now.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The show will answer that for you in a bit

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This show is way better looking (and better) then Mob Psycho 100 as I think people were saying a few pages back.

The fights are cool in Mob and they do some cool poo poo with animation. But eh.

(also the flashing lights are giving me epilepsy)

Affi fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 2, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there are moments in this show that look really drat good (I really like the color in this show) but it does not look as good, on the whole, as mob psycho

it's cleaner and more consistent but that doesn't make it better

e: I don't think it's as good as Mob Psycho either but I do think Invincible is really good, I just like the kind of show Mob is more than the kind of show Invincible is lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 2, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Affi posted:

This show is way better looking (and better) then Mob Psycho 100 as I think people were saying a few pages back.

That's absolutely not true at all what the gently caress

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I don't think people were even saying that? I think someone just brought it up as like, a recommendation if you liked this show or wanted to get into modern action-ey anime.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Stairmaster posted:

That's absolutely not true at all what the gently caress

I think Mob Psycho's actual animation is good but the characters look like poo poo to me and drags it down

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like how simple (most of) the characters are, shapes-wise and design-wise (more than a few of the action-focused characters are just dudes in suits/business casual lol) and I think it helps keep the extremely fluid and often abstract animation from being too big a jump in terms of style.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
While I like Mob Psycho more visually I think the visual character design in Invincible is overall better, though the opposite opinion is equally valid of course. I tend to favor Western character art because they tend to include more realistic facial structures. I also just really like a lot of the costumes in the show too, since they're kinda based on existing iconic characters they tend to work well. That fight with the teleporter is one of my favourite animated fights of all time though, nothing in Invincible comes close imo in terms of animation quality. That clip someone posted doesn't spoil the awesome and hilarious ending to it either, it's so good in the context of the show. Also Mob Psycho just has like, higher fps.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I only started watching the show and I'm on episode 5, but very stupid question, to the point I don't want an answer, only to laugh at comic book logic: why doesn't the Mauler mark his clone with a C or something on the bottom of the clone's foot?

Also would have been funny if It was like Multiplicity and the clone of the clone is degraded.

For what it’s worth I think he prefers not knowing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In general aside from Studio Mir the Japanese studios turn out much higher quality work with more consistent draftsmanship and better acting. Due to the 40+ anime shows per season being produced for Japanese audiences they really don’t have time to work on western shows though, nor do they want to from being burned in the past. Avatar really opened the floodgates to Korean studios becoming more equitable partners in the production process and I think there’s a lot more emphasis on quality control now than there was in the 90s, but Mir is busy with other projects so Skybound had to send the work to a different facility. They’re good but a lot was asked of them what with there being so many characters and so much footage to get through. A lot of the time in dialogue scenes it feels like they traced the storyboard and did the bare minimum of in betweens to get from pose to pose, without breakdown poses that would help smooth out the arcs of the motion.

They’ve definitely got some good action animators who spent a lot of effort getting the impact framed to read. That’s the stuff animators love to actually drawn though, so some of that is probably just the result of the artists caring more about those bits. You could see them running up against the limits of their ability to act out impactful dialogue during Omni Man’s rant to Mark on the mountain. It was high energy stuff but so pose to pose with a bit of overshoot to cushion things.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

As Nero Danced posted:

He mentions to Rudy that it's better that either doesn't know/think about it and each believes they are the 'real' one. If one brother was designated as the 'clone' brother then they'd know they were going to be the 'expendible' of the two. The other part of this is when his consciousness gets copied into the clone, there's a 'coin toss' that determines which mind the original ends up in. It's better if both think that they are the original. Since the original mind/body is gonna assume they are 'superior' they will also be confident and if they each think they are #1 then they will be on board with plans vs a duplicate that might be paranoid they were going to get sacrificed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

He mentions to Rudy that it's better that either doesn't know/think about it and each believes they are the 'real' one. If one brother was designated as the 'clone' brother then they'd know they were going to be the 'expendible' of the two. The other part of this is when his consciousness gets copied into the clone, there's a 'coin toss' that determines which mind the original ends up in. It's better if both think that they are the original. Since the original mind/body is gonna assume they are 'superior' they will also be confident and if they each think they are #1 then they will be on board with plans vs a duplicate that might be paranoid they were going to get sacrificed.

OP, this post is a spoiler for an episode you haven't seen yet. Don't click it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's also wrong, I think. The original mind is always in the original body; there is no coin toss. But clearly it fudges your mind because even Rudy had a hard time figuring it out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I imagine It merely feels like a coin toss - the cloned mind keeps all the sense of being the original since it has all the memories. And when you have identical bodies and minds, the distinction is not entirely important, and if anything is kind of more of a philosophical problem? There's a video game that touches on mind transference/copying, right down to the coin toss thing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Continuing the above discussion:

It's not a coin toss looking forward towards a future cloning - you know exactly where you'll end up - as you, as you are now.

But it is a coin toss looking back towards a past cloning. It's a weird assymetrical thing.

Both of you share a common history (up until the moment of duplication) that knows for certain it was gonna remain in the old body, yet one of you still ended up in the new body despite it. There's a continuity of conciousness, and for all intents and purposes, one of them "won" the coin toss. The twins just made sure to make recent memories fuzzy so that neither can feel like the winner/loser

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also, didn’t the original Mauler die, and now they’re all clones?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Honestly doesn't really seem to need spoiling at this point but I don't think one Mauler thinks he's superior, they seemed proud to be identical. It seemed much more like it was about psychological integrity. Assuming a history with multiple rounds of this, he knows he's a clone of a clone already at minimum. The process is seamless, so in order to not crack up it's best not to meditate on the ship of Theseus but for yourself thing and instead just insist that you're always prime, other you is always the clone, done, ego satisfied.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Flesnolk posted:

Also, didn’t the original Mauler die, and now they’re all clones?

There has been no indication of that

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

There has been no indication of that

My impression was that he makes a new clone every time one dies so that there's always two Maulers. How many times has he gone through this process? 20? 30? The odds of one of them still being the original are pretty low at this point.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ragnar34 posted:

My impression was that he makes a new clone every time one dies so that there's always two Maulers. How many times has he gone through this process? 20? 30? The odds of one of them still being the original are pretty low at this point.

Yeah it definitely has happened by probability but it hasn’t been demonstrated to happen

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
In the prison escape episode one of the Mauler twins is made to admit he is the clone before being set free, almost immedietly after he is used as a meat shield for the "original". The confusion on which is the original is a feature, not a bug as it prevents the original from murking the clone.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, that's what I was referencing. I think I got mixed up and thought the clone killed the original.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought the subtitles straight up say that "second" mauler was the one that survived the escape.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Maybe WE are all the real Mauler.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jedit posted:

OP, this post is a spoiler for an episode you haven't seen yet. Don't click it.

Nah it's good, I finished the season this morning so no worries and the discussion was really good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just binged through this and I enjoy it alot looking forward to season 2.

I'm glad Atom Eve's new venture in just helping people worked out. I was worried that she would inadvertently cause a disaster or something causing her to doubt herself and her new mission.

Speaking of the Mauler Twins all the villains in this show were really fun the Flaxans, Machine Head, Omni-man okay that last one isn't really fun, but still a real good villian.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

False Toaster posted:

Jesus christ... How does this show not have a NC-17 raiting?

Is this on TV? I'm watching on Amazon Prime so it effectively doesn't have ratings.

It does have "warning mature content" though.

Affi posted:

w h a t

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mauler: * puts in high effort to create clones of themselves

Dupli-kate: lol

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I binged the entire comic this weekend. It's interesting - the show managed to fit the key threads of about 30 issues into these 8 episodes. I could see the next two seasons going more than halfway through the full comic arc at that pace. It's funny because I went through an arc of really liking the comic to getting actively annoyed with it around the early 100s to then feeling like it swung around and stuck the landing. The comic definitely suffers a bit from being written initially around 2003 but you can see it grow along the way.

Overall, I think it's a worthwhile read and it's encouraged me to watch the series a second time and see seeds that I may have missed the first time around. Good stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/SolidusJJ/status/1388914572988407808

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad Atom Eve's new venture in just helping people worked out. I was worried that she would inadvertently cause a disaster or something causing her to doubt herself and her new mission.

In one episode of The 4400 (I think...) there was a scene where some group had used their super powers to turn some huge desert into harvest-ready farmland - but I don't think it was ever addressed in the show again, and if that is actually the show I am remembering, it's just about the only thing I remember from it because it was such a powerful idea - global civil engineering or whatever you want to call it.

Does anyone have anything to recommend that explores this issue?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bigperm posted:

In one episode of The 4400 (I think...) there was a scene where some group had used their super powers to turn some huge desert into harvest-ready farmland - but I don't think it was ever addressed in the show again, and if that is actually the show I am remembering, it's just about the only thing I remember from it because it was such a powerful idea - global civil engineering or whatever you want to call it.

Does anyone have anything to recommend that explores this issue?

That was The 4400 and it was a really good twist. Everyone was expecting it to be some sort of terrorist attack but instead they did that.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Well yeah. I admit that the fights in mob psycho are occasionally drawn in a very cool and good way that takes advantage of the medium. But that's it for me. And I loving hate the flashing lights they insist on constantly. And there is absolutely no consequences in any fights as usual.

The voice acting in invincible is heads and shoulders above the dub (obviously) and the music and sound too.

But mobs really cool and interesting story you say? The story is poo poo. Really. Its poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
To each his own, for sure. But I just think in particular Mob Psycho has fantastic animation, which is generally much higher quality than Invincible other than the places where it switches mediums entirely and gets super abstract (but... again I would argue that stuff looks amazing)

Invincible is incredibly clean, but its also at times very very limited animation. Its got that computer assisted Flash-animation feel 100%. The combat scenes look great and are a real credit to what the team has pulled off, but there are lots of shots which look incredibly cheap and copy pasted. They're on a budget and it overall looks great and works fine, so I don't mind, but to say Mob Psycho looks like poo poo by comparison is just... bananas to me. But I understand you if you can't stand the flashing lights and that's an issue for you.

As far as story, I think Mob does some clever new things with its 'boy wonder' story, and both Mob and Reigen are fantastic characters. But again, to each his own.

Although its funny, because the Mangaka for both One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100, ONE, is a "terrible" artist by traditional standards. He's still got good ideas for character design, story, and even frame composition, but his original mangas are rough to say the least. But I think the anime reinterpretations have taken that and done some unbelievably brilliant things with them. OPM is a bit more refined than Mob Psycho though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 3, 2021

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really dig the abstract things Mob does I'll give them that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I watched all of that Mob Psycho clip that was posted to be fair to it, and it was one of the dullest things I've ever seen.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

re: ethnic food talk

i'm not korean, but i am indian, and apparently the worst indian ever cause aside from a handful of dishes the madre makes, i'm not a fan of indian food in general. speaking from my own family/community perspective, indian dishes are fairly standard for pretty much everyone i know. we do eat american food as well, but those are reserved for specific occasions like if we're going out to dinner, on the road, or just feeling lazy.

the topic of how to do minority representation in media is a pretty interesting one. i can see arguments on both sides. if you're going to incorporate some kind of minority, probably might be a good idea to show how they generally live, right? on the other hand, mark and his mom are of korean descent, but they're supposed to be for all intents and purposes, "American". in that sense, is mark really any different than say, eve? i wasn't born in the u.s., but i came here when i was 4, and i have way more in common than most of my white friends than anyone in india. for all intents and purposes, i too, am american (well, and i just got my citizenship a few months ago :911: ).

a lot of asian americans i know really loving hate it when people ask them where they're "really" from. so is it a good idea to treat asians in media (and i guess asians in general) is if they're part of this completely separate, not exactly 'true' american group?

all meme material aside, are we in agreement that this scene looks pretty bad from an animation perspective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I watched all of that Mob Psycho clip that was posted to be fair to it, and it was one of the dullest things I've ever seen.

It's got some cool stretchy animation, but the visual continuity is poop and the (translated?) dialogue is trash.

Also if they can both fly, why does the mean dude try to drop the blond dude? He can fly!

The sequence is both, yes, quite expensive and often quite well animated, but I feel like they're doing all these little tricks (predominantly all that close up) to hide the blocking and geography of the fight. I wonder if they farmed the scene out to a dozen or so different animators, which would make the extreme segmentation a logistical choice.