Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sockser posted:

Steel Ball Run anime is all I want in this world

This and also JoJolion

edit: spoilers (maybe) removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I. M. Gei posted:

And speaking of sexual chocolate, Ciocolatta’s dub is voiced by Bill Butts, a man whose first and last name is Bill Butts, and his voice is also excellent and he hams it up just the right amount and also he looks exactly like you’d expect a man whose name is Bill Butts to look in real like and that is also awesome and makes his voice that much more special.

Bill Butts was a local to where I live--I met him when he was cosplaying The Old Spice Guy at anime cons. He really is a delightful human being.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

We were robbed by having Spice Girl only get a single fight in all of Part 5.

And Trish herself was pretty underutilized, considering how nominally central she is to the entire story.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how much of that had to do with his editors, maybe they didn't want a girl to do too much

I could see part 6 as a form of pushback against this but this is speculation built on speculation

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regalingualius posted:

We were robbed by having Spice Girl only get a single fight in all of Part 5.

And Trish herself was pretty underutilized, considering how nominally central she is to the entire story.

I'm bothered by the fact that we don't even know what happens to Trish after the final battle, even though protecting her was a major objective for 75% of the part.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's not important, giorno got a cool power. pay attention to that instead

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also he did a whole 'Isildur refuses to destroy the ring' thing with the arrow, but everyone also glosses over that part

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm bothered by the fact that we don't even know what happens to Trish after the final battle, even though protecting her was a major objective for 75% of the part.
I don't know much about manga, but it really feels like there was a certain number of chapters Araki was supposed to hit, and he messed it up. With all the build-up, the final arc goes absolutely nowhere and the ending is pretty much a single panel.
Same with drugs and, you know, the whole "taking over the mafia" deal. It just gets swept under the rug.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Decided to rewatch JoJo with my husband, and I really miss absolutely gorgeous 3D openings of Parts 1-3. Even when future parts come close in energy with the song, I feel like those are just unmatched. Wonder why they stopped doing them.
Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town, for example, is great, but parts of it are just jpegs flying all over, and compared to Bloody Stream it just feels less interesting. Even the credits had little animations and easter eggs. Like in the final End of the World we see how, when DIO stops time and the camera rotates, the credit on Jotaro's face rotates too, like it's that Too Many Cooks sketch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I also wish they kept doing the 3D openings. Maybe they got too expensive. Or maybe it was just a way of differentiating between the two eras of Joestars?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given the popularity of part 3, the anime was probably originally greenlit with the explicit intention of working up through the first two parts purely so they could get to stardust crusaders more than anything else, with the other parts we've gotten being a welcome bonus. the studio they had doing the 3d openings were probably commissioned ahead of time for the first 3 parts and then i'm sure it was determined they could cut costs a bit by not bringing them in anymore after that.

then again i could just be blowing smoke, but i feel like it tracks

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I also wanna say that the studio that made the openings got booked to make a couple actual full series, so they no longer has the availability?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The company was working on Batman Ninja and Pop Team Epic so yes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

multijoe posted:

Also he did a whole 'Isildur refuses to destroy the ring' thing with the arrow, but everyone also glosses over that part
Stands are neither good nor evil. Giorno will not deny this Heritage for the Future.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/joujinakata123/status/1394986382007939075?s=20

Does not seem like Nakata will be reprising Pucci, which is fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Between ASB and Eyes of Heaven, I think there were only five voiced characters from Stone Ocean, so I guess it will be a total recast unless they were really keen on one of the other three.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I know it’s almost definitely a pipe dream, but goddamn do I wish this part has a simuldub.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm surprised that people are surprised that all the video game actors are getting recast when none but Okuyasu made it into the anime (with their original role) intact.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Szmitten posted:

I'm surprised that people are surprised that all the video game actors are getting recast when none but Okuyasu made it into the anime (with their original role) intact.

Hey now, Jotaro also made it through too! But yeah, those two are the exception rather than the rule, the anime getting different voices really should just be expected this far in.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

While that's true it's also just a very Jouji Nakata character.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Something that confused me when I was watching part 4: In episode 18 Josuke and Okuyasu vow to get one over on Shigekiyo after being cheated the first time, and this is immediately followed by Okuyasu finding a winning lottery ticket.

From the setup it seemed like this they were pulling a fast one on him but no, it's real winning lottery ticket that Okuyasu just happens to find within moments of them making that vow. Their promised revenge only comes much later in the next episode as a reaction to Shigekiyo trying to cheat them again.

The episodes were entertaining but did I miss something or was it a bit disjointed?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As I recall, the setup was that Shigechi was being stingy with money, but Josuke and Okuyasu agreed that he contributed a decent amount of work and they both should be mature about the situation and relent on the matter. But both of them were wary about him at that point and the situation with the lottery ticket wound up being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey now, Jotaro also made it through too! But yeah, those two are the exception rather than the rule, the anime getting different voices really should just be expected this far in.

I didn't think to check Part 3 since I wrongly assumed ASB was using the anime cast up to Part 3 but obviously it hadn't aired yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah they did not promise retribution, they just said they were not going to let him cheat them out of the earnings again.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Rewatching Stardust Crusaders, and had some observations:

- Out of all "lol araki forgot" poo poo, Hierophant Green isn't mentioned enough. Pretty much all of its tricks disappear after the first fight and even ones that don't are usually useless.

- Iggy is voiced like a pokemon. He just says "iggy" sometimes. This rules.

- People like to point out how Jojo being an anthology helps it avoid power creep, but honestly, I think it's Araki's imagination that does that. Even within Part 3, some of the scariest assholes are close to the beginning after which we meet a whole lot of clowns.

- Death XIII might be my least favorite fight so far. Not a fan of teammates acting stupid. Would be cool if the finisher was someone else bringing their stand with Kakyoin or pretending to be asleep. Ah well, at least that way it's like the only fight after episode 2 where possession is utilized somewhat.

- Oingo Boingo is the perfect anime episode and is loving comedy gold. Also very cool of Araki to spoil the punchline as soon as it might be even remotely obvious. That way we can focus on all the weird poo poo, like trash orange that Polnareff and Joseph want to bring as a present to their wounded friends, Joseph barely driving and constantly looking back/not holding the wheel, among others...

Overall, Jojo is way better than the first time I watched it. Maybe because I'm less cynical about it being anime or because I'm not worried about it losing in quality.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

heirophant green doesn't take control of people after the initial fight because that is generally not considered a good thing to be doing and i don't know in what situation he would magically be able to stuff his stand into a stand user's mouth in a fight

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Plus he still does it, just without forcibly taking them over, like the mentioned death 13 fight, the fight with lovers, and he does his super stretching stuff for those too as well as tower of gray

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He could have possessed DIO when he had him surrounded, fight over, bing bong

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dio could probably eat a stand if he wanted to.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it's hosed up that araki forgot to have kakyoin possess some random passerby like a marionette and run them at the superpowered weirdos they were fighting on a weekly basis

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

hierophant green doesn't take control of people after the initial fight because that is generally not considered a good thing to be doing and i don't know in what situation he would magically be able to stuff his stand into a stand user's mouth in a fight

True, but it's a far more interesting application of it than rock shooting. There are also a few fights where it could've helped. Anubis comes to mind, as it does a similar thing.
Also, he had a painting trick. Again, probably useless after the first battle because why would you draw in the middle of the fight, but still not as boring as what we got.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or anything, it's just that his powers seem like they got downgraded to worse Hermit Purple/Magician's Red.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty confident the painting thing was just a mysterious way to initially hide what hierophant green was capable of before it was fully revealed and not actually some sort of extra ability

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that all said an important thing to keep in mind is that i don't think araki even knew what the gently caress stands were at that point even still so i think it's less him 'forgetting' things and more just him realizing that he was going to have to change stuff on the fly to fit him just scooting along by the seat of his pants while he got busy with making poo poo up entirely for a while

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I kind of just figured the painting thing was Kakyoin being flashy and dramatic with a well timed tiny emerald splash. That early on in SC though, I could totally believe that even Araki wasn't sure what Hierophant Green's actual power was.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Imagine if he had kept to the World’s early hinted gimmick of having every other Stand’s abilities to at least some extent.

Mind you, I’m not dissing on what we actually got, considering how iconic the time freeze wound up being.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Regalingualius posted:

Imagine if he had kept to the World’s early hinted gimmick of having every other Stand’s abilities to at least some extent.

Mind you, I’m not dissing on what we actually got, considering how iconic the time freeze wound up being.

According to Araki him using Hermit Purple was the result of having Jonathan's body, which sucks that it went unexplored in itself because it would mean that Dio's soul is at least 20% Jonathan

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it has pretty much always made more sense for that to be the latent stand of jonathan's body given how he also said that the vines were meant as a stand representation of ripple power. dio having every single power was only ever just some random rumor from years ago, more or less. also i don't think a sample size of two out of however many stands there ended up being, with one of those two not even remotely functioning the way it does for the character that uses it, hints at some grand, underlying dropped plotline unlike something like fugo getting written out in part 5 instead of coming back as an enemy. and even just going beyond all that i think it loops around again to 'i don't think araki had anything that far planned out and he probably just thought the vines were cool and wasn't thinking too much about stopping time or whatever'.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vookatos posted:

- Death XIII might be my least favorite fight so far. Not a fan of teammates acting stupid. Would be cool if the finisher was someone else bringing their stand with Kakyoin or pretending to be asleep. Ah well, at least that way it's like the only fight after episode 2 where possession is utilized somewhat.
trying to convince your teammates a literal baby pooping their diapers is trying to kill you all is a bizarre situation

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kakyoin took the events of Death 13 to his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dio saw a baby and said "yes, you, I want you in my team."