Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

team penske hit the gas pedal challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Eric McClure has died. Sad to hear.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

I just saw that today also. I actually got to meet him in Charlotte once. He was doing like an autograph/meet and greet type thing for Hefty and he seemed genuinely appreciative that somebody actually came over and wanted to meet him and get his autograph. I still have the signed hero card stashed away somewhere.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
That new Camaro is a fantastic looking car, it really mirrors the production car and stands out from the other 2. And it has functional hood vents!

seventimessix fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 6, 2021

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

From what I was reading it sounds like all 3 cars are going to have functional vents.

NASCAR.com posted:

Each of the three Next Gen models will have manufacturer-specific hood louvers, a release point for ducts that transfer air out of radiator.

What I found pretty interesting is the addition of the rear facing camera. Like is it going to be a "rear view mirror" that is just a screen or like a wide shot of what is going on back there? Also how long until there is a problem with somebody's rear view mirror not working and they are flying completely blind, except for a spotter, as far as what is behind them?

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2021/05/05/stock-reborn-nascar-manufacturers-unveil-next-gen-models-for-2022-cup-series/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rear view cameras are in 24 hour races and are cool as hell.

The vette one even has like targeting so it warns you when a dentist and an LMP2 is dive bombing you from 500m back.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Of all the road courses to pick, they decide to run COTA? At least it sounds like they are going to have to deal with rain... Also must be quite the advantage for the drivers running in 2 races and get twice as much practice.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
I don't think I've ever heard Andy Lally talk before but I really like him in the trucks booth. He's excited about everything but still speaks clearly and I like how technical he gets with what the trucks are doing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sadly the race ended up being dry... As expected for a race at COTA, it was not that good... Really not too sure why they would pick COTA over other good circuit courses like Laguna Seca or Sebring, the later of which Nascar apparently even owns through IMSA...

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
What I learned from the Xfinity race Saturday is that Skittles Gummies exist, and that I need to procure some immediately.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This is a demolition derby

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They sure do have their clown shoes on today.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Rain* race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/FredSmith914/status/1396591686457774087

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Racing in the rain all day. Chase Elliot gets the lead, time to yellow flag and call the race!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I like the track, but racing cup cars in those conditions was idiotic. Truex said it all, they were blind driving on the straight just hoping and praying not to hit anyone, which was an extremely stupid and unsafe thing for the race officials to ignore. Even after he ran into someone else, he tried to stay in the gas because he knew the next blind driver behind was gonna hit him too, and sure enough Cole Custer did anyway. They were both loving lucky to hit the barrier exactly where they did, and walk away without injury.

I'm all for racing on road courses and in adverse conditions, but that was loving stupid. Furthermore, gently caress Chase Elliot.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I watched the trucks and the Cup race and the Cup race was what it was I guess. The conditions pretty much ruined it. Cindric was impressive running on slicks for as long as he did but other than that it was a pretty big mess. The truck race at least had just enough wet to make the wet tires work and not so bad that they couldn't see what they were doing so that wasn't an issue. It's just that the trucks didn't seem like, dynamic I guess? It just seemed like they were all tip toeing around the track and the track is so technical they all had to be like right on with hitting their marks and to me it just seemed like they were all in slow motion. Compare it to Sonoma or Watkins Glenn when you see a lot more side by side throughout the entire track and guys flying through the grass and trying to cut corners and all that. To me they just look a lot faster and little more wild on those tracks which makes the road course watching a little more fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Decided to check some of this poo poo show out, and apparently NASCAR are putting full race replays up on YouTube? And possibly even simulcasting the broadcast live as well? Could be because I'm outside the U.S. but that seems new.

bigbillystyle posted:

It just seemed like they were all tip toeing around the track and the track is so technical they all had to be like right on with hitting their marks and to me it just seemed like they were all in slow motion. Compare it to Sonoma or Watkins Glenn when you see a lot more side by side throughout the entire track and guys flying through the grass and trying to cut corners and all that. To me they just look a lot faster and little more wild on those tracks which makes the road course watching a little more fun.

I mean, COTA is a newer design, a longer track with a much more technical layout. Plus the rain :v: Sonoma and Watkins for NASCAR are both on layouts that encourage a bit more of a short-track mentality, if that makes sense. Road America is longer but still encourages good action.

(take NASCAR to Lime Rock Park is what I'm saying.)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

Decided to check some of this poo poo show out, and apparently NASCAR are putting full race replays up on YouTube? And possibly even simulcasting the broadcast live as well? Could be because I'm outside the U.S. but that seems new.
I mean, COTA is a newer design, a longer track with a much more technical layout. Plus the rain :v: Sonoma and Watkins for NASCAR are both on layouts that encourage a bit more of a short-track mentality, if that makes sense. Road America is longer but still encourages good action.

(take NASCAR to Lime Rock Park is what I'm saying.)

It has to be, because last time I was in deep into NASCAR, and Australian TV stopped showing it (which they had for like, 20 years on various pay and free channels) I was annoyed to find out the replays took 2 weeks to go up.

Anyway, i'm not stupid enough to care about nascar anymore so it's no problem.

Jokes aside it's intermittently on streaming here and is uploaded pretty quickly onto YT.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice of Chase Elliott's spotter to attack pregnant women.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

tater_salad posted:

Nice of Chase Elliott's spotter to attack pregnant women.

hahah holy poo poo the details of that incident

quote:

According to Bob Pockrass of Fox Sports, D'Hondt's arrest stems from a September 7, 2020 incident where D'Hondt began arguing with an employee at a jet ski rental company. The employee claimed that D'Hondt made "full body contact and yelled in my face pushing me back multiple times with body", and also hit the employee's arm away and swung a fist at her.

That is some Squidbillies level poo poo there

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/KellyCrandall/status/1397231177682014208

GD_American posted:

hahah holy poo poo the details of that incident
That is some Squidbillies level poo poo there

I think he made references to being a Christian or something like that in his Twitter bio, too.

I liked him as a spotter, but...yikes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Anyone who has the American flag, some sort of Christian iconography, or references to being a patriot or Christian in their social media is invariably a hate filled bigot. This is my obvious statement for the day.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
Bad race, bad winner. That's NASCAR!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Indeed, now the thread title is 100% accurate... Also the winner the Coke 600 deserves really.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

No more 550 HP races pleeeaaaase

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone who has the American flag, some sort of Christian iconography, or references to being a patriot or Christian in their social media is invariably a hate filled bigot. This is my obvious statement for the day.

So Memorial Day is about hatred? Or anyone that flies an American flag is a bigot? What?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've watched about 15 minutes of NASCAR this year. This race was so bad I couldn't even fall asleep on the couch with it on.

In additional to "the race is too long," "the first 90% doesn't matter," "the commentator suck," and "ZOMG So many commercials, the biggest problem is that all the drivers are super boring vanilla.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I went to bed glad I didn't miss anything

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

there's actually been pretty decent racing this year imo but the coke 600 is a great time to do anything else

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

So Memorial Day is about hatred? Or anyone that flies an American flag is a bigot? What?

Not too far off the mark there. People who are super vocal about how I AM AN AMERICAN AND A CHRISTIAN AND A PATRIOT are usually hateful sacks of poo poo.

We do enough to suck off the military industrial complex in this country already, waxing poetic about the "brave men and women" (poor people with no prospects who turn to soldiering for college money) who "sacrifice themselves for our freedoms" (get killed on the other side of the planet for corporate interests unrelated to American freedom) is some pretty willful ignorance. You can cheer on Team America if you want to, gently caress knows plenty of people always will no matter what, but it smells like bullshit to me. Every injured veteran I know thinks that joining the military was the dumbest loving thing they ever did. The RAH RAH AMERICA stuff at sporting events gives me some pretty heavy propaganda rally vibes and I hate it. Same thing with Christian invocations before races, really. There is always someone glaring at you if you don't take off your hat and pray to their god with them before the cars go fast, and it's pretty loving creepy.

/rant

Also at this point I would rather drive home from the Indy 500 and watch it again on TV than tune in to the Coke 600 and watch those bricks circulate for 4+ hours. Now that I know Larson won, I won't even bother with the highlights. It's always around this point in the season that I stop paying attention to the cup series it seems, while open wheel stuff is really taking off. I'll probably check out the remaining road courses, despite Chase Elliot. XFINITY and trucks are much more my jam.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I don’t think having a flag or celebrating Memorial Day makes you a bigot, but making it be a central part of your social media presence or personality correlates pretty well to bigot. Which is what I (assume) he was saying.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Reading "anyone who has these things in their social media" as "ANYONE WHO CELEBRATES MEMORIAL DAY" is a pretty good indication that forums user Nit Wit Dog poo poo lives up to his username

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I actually thought the racing between the Hendrick cars and Kyle Busch was decent, but the 550hp model kills it when they have to let off a tiny, tiny bit and lose 100yds on track. Like at the end the 24 was probably better than the 18 and the 9 but had to let off here and there because of the lapped cars and could never fully recover. While I agree that this race (like most races) are too long I don't mind having 1 600 mile race on the schedule and I hope they keep this race the same. I just hope the new car makes it better.

Good runs for the 8, 17, 23 and 99 I thought. Though the 99 was 2 laps down but still managed a 15th that is pretty good I think. 23 had a lead lap finish which is pretty impressive for them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A 600 mile race on the schedule is fine. But even 500 miles is too long for Charlotte.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
It's just too long, the purpose of it being so long - that it was a test of the endurance of your engine - is totally gone. I won't even think about buying tickets for the 600 until they move the trying halftime program to pre-race.

Also, the difference in tone between the serious of NBC at the Indy 500* vs. Jay Leno poo poo and Coca-Cola interruptions and the way I winced at where that gynecologist joke was going, it's absolutely dreadful. I have watched most of the Fox races on mute, and am counting down to the end of their broadcast season.

*that broadcast wasn't brilliant, but it sold the dramatics and the urgency well. It was the first full 500 I think a lot of people have watched in a long time. I laughed when they said Helio was STRUGGLING with 2 laps to go from 2nd, that was when I knew he'd win

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

the best driver should win, so it was a good race

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

there's actually been pretty decent racing this year imo but the coke 600 is a great time to do anything else

Even the 600 wasn't too bad at times. It's better than the days where Truex led 392 of 400 laps.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

your friend wicka posted:

Reading "anyone who has these things in their social media" as "ANYONE WHO CELEBRATES MEMORIAL DAY" is a pretty good indication that forums user Nit Wit Dog poo poo lives up to his username

Chill, dude. It was simply a question. At no point was I "yelling."

Also, there's a reason I chose this user name. I never attested to being the sharpest knife in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

chamois posted:

the best driver should win, so it was a good race

U can't cancel fast