Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Food Boner posted:

I should sell my 3090 and get a cheap used car lmao

There aren't any of those either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My gfs jeep is taking a poo poo, and yeah used cars are now g h o s t s.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cenodoxus posted:

After seeing the Tustin chair-squatting incident, I went to my Microcenter on Sunday afternoon to find an entire multigenerational family sitting in folding chairs out front.

I wonder if Meemaw ever got her 3080.

What's the current over/under number of days you need to camp outside of a Microcenter to (maybe) get a card?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shipon posted:

Could be worse, you could have been me and just neglected to clean your dust filters for the two years since you built it. Temps definitely went down a good amount just off that, now I'm not hitting 80 C even at full tilt.

This was me a few months ago. In anticipation of a new pc I had neglected cleaning my current pc for the past 2-3 years, thinking I could get away with it.

Have you ever peeled off the lint from a dryer lint screen? The fan at the back of the case was kinda like that, just took my fingers and it peeled off in one piece.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Freakazoid_ posted:

This was me a few months ago. In anticipation of a new pc I had neglected cleaning my current pc for the past 2-3 years, thinking I could get away with it.

Have you ever peeled off the lint from a dryer lint screen? The fan at the back of the case was kinda like that, just took my fingers and it peeled off in one piece.

per forum rules you gotta post pictures of yourself mixing that stuff with jizz and eating it now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jar PC case

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DamnGlitch posted:

My gfs jeep is taking a poo poo, and yeah used cars are now g h o s t s.

Don’t forget that if you came into the used car market and couldn’t find something reliable, you can’t say Fiuckit and get a cheap brand new car like a Camry or Focus, either. Car makers have deep pockets and even they can’t get chips and rare earth and I learned today that we’re running out of SAND. Well, a particular type of sand that makes quality silicon cheaper than other types. And the sand/aggregate rock is needed in concrete-the most abundant human-manufactured material in the entire world. At least I still have a cassette recorder to write programs in BASIC and save them on audio cassette. 🤪

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ok Comboomer posted:

per forum rules you gotta post pictures of yourself mixing that stuff with jizz and eating it now

Keyboard Goop is not a myth, but it is a legend.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Don’t forget that if you came into the used car market and couldn’t find something reliable, you can’t say Fiuckit and get a cheap brand new car like a Camry or Focus, either. Car makers have deep pockets and even they can’t get chips and rare earth and I learned today that we’re running out of SAND. Well, a particular type of sand that makes quality silicon cheaper than other types. And the sand/aggregate rock is needed in concrete-the most abundant human-manufactured material in the entire world. At least I still have a cassette recorder to write programs in BASIC and save them on audio cassette. 🤪

God I wish we could buy cars without all the electronic crap, or at least most of it. What I would do to have a small car from the 90s again, the ECU and a radio with an aux jack is really all the chips you need.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cards now dont even got no jet robots on the cover

no elf mage waifus

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Alan Smithee posted:

no elf mage waifus

Truly, we have lost touch with what once made PC Gaming great.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"bring back Mac gaming!"

"uhhh like on Apple Computers?"

"nonono from Mac and Me"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

no elf mage waifus

That sexy elfubus lady on the EverQuest box lured me into PC gaming.

Also ^^^ I don’t mind the computerized the car, but after watching some hacking videos on YouTube I am terrified of being in a WiFi capable car. Road rage has been bad enough in Memphis this last year, and I don’t want to think about some 17yo bros with Kali on their laptop taking out my brakes for the offense of driving the speed limit in the far right lane.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

"bring back Mac gaming!"

"uhhh like on Apple Computers?"

"nonono from Mac and Me"

GLENT :baby: zot

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Keyboard Goop is not a myth, but it is a legend.

Ah, so that is what Gwyneth Paltrow has been up to.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MH Knights posted:

Ah, so that is what Gwyneth Paltrow has been up to.

Keyboard Goop Limited Edition Candles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I went and replaced my case fans with newer more betterer ones and when i went to fire up the computer I had no video out.

I had a five minute panic worrying that i'd managed to damage the gpu when taking it out and was worried I'd have to buy some overly expensive downgrade to my 1080 to tide me over, or sell a kidney to get something modern.

When I re-inspected it I realized I'd forgotten to plug in part of the gpu power cable. :v:

crisis resolved

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So what's a safe way to resell your gpu to take advantage of this situation? I don't wanna take advantage of goons and list my 2070S on SA Mart, but do want to take advantage of miner by selling it to miners.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ughhhh posted:

So what's a safe way to resell your gpu to take advantage of this situation? I don't wanna take advantage of goons and list my 2070S on SA Mart, but do want to take advantage of miner by selling it to miners.

The Electronic Bay

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

ughhhh posted:

FB marketplace so long as you're happy to exchange in person somewhere sensible. You'll get a lot of crypto assholes who think they're history's next great entrepreneur send you overly aggressive messages in an attempt to haggle, but stick to your price and you'll find someone to sell it to pretty fast.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

ughhhh posted:

r/hardwareswap
I've been able to sell a bunch of components locally for cash/Venmo (save $ on ebay/paypal fees). I've encountered no drama or annoying hagglers. At the same time, I live in the Bay Area with a lot of nerds who have lots of disposable income, so YMMV.

It's a great seller's market for used 2070 supers. They're selling for $800-$1000 on ebay depending on the model. When I sold my 2070 Super in the fall for $400, I thought I had made out like a bandit.

mA fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 2, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mA posted:

r/hardwareswap
I've been able to sell a bunch of components locally for cash/Venmo (save $ on ebay/paypal fees). I've encountered no drama or annoying hagglers. At the same time, I live in the Bay Area with a lot of nerds who have lots of disposable income, so YMMV.

It's a great seller's market for used 2070 supers. They're selling for $800-$1000 on ebay depending on the model. When I sold my 2070 Super in the fall for $400, I thought I had made out like a bandit.

I gave my brother my old computer with a 2070S in it as a Christmas gift and definitely ended up kicking myself for that within a month or two.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I sold my 1650 super to a friend for what I paid for it ($180, Newegg was literally handing out coupons to clear their stock before the amphere release) and I constantly remind him how good of a deal he got

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't sell GPUs on ebay right now. Ebay is for low demand stuff where you don't have better options. Use Craigslist/FB Marketplace for high demand stuff, you won't get any less for it but you don't risk getting hosed by ebay's awful buyer protection policy that lets buyers walk away with both the product and the money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah plus gently caress paying fees and gently caress sending someone hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of something they can then claim broken and take their money back.

facebook market, be honest and through in your description and decent in your dealings, but only take cash and only meet somewhere safe. if they're smart they'll ask for proof of it working, what i did was run something like doom 2016 cranked with full performance metrics for a bit and send them a youtube because no one is coming into my house during plague. if they seem even a hint sketch bail, you shouldn't be struggling to find buyers. meet at a bank or grocery store or somewhere else you can deposit the cash immediately. protips.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I gave my brother my old computer with a 2070S in it as a Christmas gift and definitely ended up kicking myself for that within a month or two.

Gifted a 5700xt so semi-same…

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Crossposted from the Pc Build thread:

Alucard posted:

So how badly would I be getting scalped for a Zotac 3060 at $560? (I believe it's the white model that seems to be msrp of $550 right now from Zotac.)

On one hand, it seems to be reasonable for the item it is, but on the other, it's $560 for a fuckin' 3060 non-Ti....

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alucard posted:

Crossposted from the Pc Build thread:

Alucard posted:

Yeah I'm aware of the magical number - even the manufacturers seem to have mostly abandoned that (at least evga and Zotac have) and that's assuming I get an unbundled card - so one shot a month with Best Buy or eat some other component cost in the newegg shuffle (assuming I get either of those). Supposedly my nearest Micro Center is basically only selling cards as part of their pc building service.

it's a pre-tariff number too, many places have increased prices just in response to that. the manufacturers howled when the RRP was announced because they didn't think they'd be able to make a profitable product at that price point and lol it turns out they're not wrong.

my personal experience is spending about £580 on a 3070 and not regretting it at all, but the 3060 is pretty far from a 3060ti as i understand it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DerekSmartymans posted:

The worst of the car shortage hasn't even hit yet though I feel like domestic brands are going to feel the squeeze way worse than imports.

Source: me in the automotive industry

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why feel bad about it? At the very least its not going to some scalping/mining fucker.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hello thread, it's me, the idiot from a month back that was complaining about high GPU temps when I only had a single fan in my case.

This morning I took most of my build apart, installed two Arctic F12 fans into the intake position, and moved the single fan that came with the case into the rear exhaust position (at the same time that I upgraded from an R3 3100 to an i5-10400).

I've only just started to put it through its paces, but so far I'm seeing a good 10 degree drop in GPU temps from the previous use-cases that would push it uncomfortably high.

Thanks for yelling at me and pointing me in the right direction.

I replaced my old rear fan from a Corsair A1225L to an Arctic P12 PWM @ 1700rpm / 100%, and the GPU cooling difference is night and day at same level of noise to my ears .

I'm sure the whole setup would be better if the P12s replaced my 2x front Phanteks F120MP @ 1100rpm / 60% which are also really loud at 100%, but I'm too lazy to do it.

These P12s are incredible to say the least.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1387880475881086982?s=20

colorfire

when RGB goes wrong

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1388440672546566147?s=20

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1387658132474761217?s=20

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Glad they keep launching new products no one can get.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
artisanal handcrafted GPUs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Prescription Combs posted:

Hell yeah can't wait for the $3200 overdesigned collectible rare gpus

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Hell yeah can't wait for the $3200 overdesigned collectible rare gpus

ah yes the black rog strix 3090

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Companies aren’t gonna idle/fire the hundreds of people they have on staff to develop, design, market, and release products just because the current products are selling better than expected. New products are gonna keep coming on roughly the regular cadence, see: the 3050 Mobiles and 3080 Tis that will be launched this month.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

How are they supposed to get the new mining rate limited cards out later this month if they can't release new products?
Just swapping 'em in with the same product numbers is gonna be terrible for everyone.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Guy at work wants to buy my 1080ti for £650

Strongly considering it, but it'll mean I won't have any gaming on this PC until the whole thing is back to normal in 2025 or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003