Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished everhood this weekend. It's very good and I recommend it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WGS_M2YeIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
That track makes me want to replay Guacamelee.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I would've appreciated hearing more negative opinions about Yakuza before I bought Y0 and found it did nothing for me. It seemed to be a series that everyone liked so I didn't even bother trying it within the 2-week refund window, since I figured it was a sure bet that it would be enjoyable.

Same thing happened with Ace Combat 7, for that matter.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

they're good, folks

I dunno. I know this became a cliché soon after it came out, but currently playing Disco Elysium for the first time, I'm really feeling that impression of "all other games you've played and loved up until now were actually trash for morons".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I did the secret ______frog______ boss fight last night and it super ruled.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

Any action games to recommend from the Golden Week Sale? I've been on a mostly turn based RPG binge and want to mix it up with some single player action games. Skimming tthe list, I have and like DMCV, Bayonetta, Tales of Berseria.

Off the top of my head, Wonderful 101 looks like it'll be fantastic but I was hoping for a bigger discount for that (relatively expensive in my currency...but I might pull the trigger on it anyway). I am eyeing .hack GU because I enjoyed it as a kid but I am very scared the gameplay doesn't hold up today and it will ruin my pristine memories of over the top MMO shenanigans.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is pretty cool. Action RPG with rock/paper/scissor style damage elements set in an alternate version of Tokyo where you fight monsters in rifts across the city and do weird sidequests for people around town. The soundtrack is one of the best ones I've ever heard, at least if you like rock/metal for parts of dungeons and bosses with really chill jazz tunes during the city sections.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

K8.0 posted:

You're making the correct decision. DMC5 is an amazing game. It's easily the best game in the genre. Given prior experience I recommend you start on Devil Hunter and not Human. It will probably be pretty hard, but the mechanics of the game are orgasmic and you won't learn to appreciate them on easy. Also, as a certified DLC hater, you should buy the deluxe edition and the $4.99 Vergil DLC. All that stuff is worth the $10 total it costs right now. Playing the game a second time with the alt cutscenes is amazing, and Vergil is completely broken in a way that's incredibly satisfying.

I'm at M05, and so far the game is fun! And after practicing a bit in the Void, I finally pulled off my first SSS rank in a fight.
So far my only complaint is, that it's kinda hard to switch to a different target if I'm locking on (I'm playing with a gamepad).

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

nekoxid posted:

I'm at M05, and so far the game is fun! And after practicing a bit in the Void, I finally pulled off my first SSS rank in a fight.
So far my only complaint is, that it's kinda hard to switch to a different target if I'm locking on (I'm playing with a gamepad).

In case you don't know, clicking the left stick switches your lock-on target.

In Ocarina of Time letting go of lock-on and pressing it again would switch the target and I don't understand how there are still games with lock-on systems that don't do that over 20 years later.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Peewi posted:

In case you don't know, clicking the left stick switches your lock-on target.

In Ocarina of Time letting go of lock-on and pressing it again would switch the target and I don't understand how there are still games with lock-on systems that don't do that over 20 years later.

Oh! Thanks!
(To be honest this was not really clear for me in the tutorial.)

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Trickyblackjack posted:

I dunno. I know this became a cliché soon after it came out, but currently playing Disco Elysium for the first time, I'm really feeling that impression of "all other games you've played and loved up until now were actually trash for morons".

Strong agree. I was ready to be disappointed after all the hype, but DE really is ludicrously good. I'm still early in the game, and I'm already sad it's going to end :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I wanted to like that game but it just did nothing for me and I can’t figure out why.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I would very much have preferred Everhood as a rhythm game, and I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't. It's difficult to engage with the music when I'm not following the beat or anything, just focusing on not getting hit without any sort of rhythm to the movement.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I have the plain old regular edition of Street Fighter IV and the Steam sale says I can upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV for $3.50. However when I try I get an error saying I need "Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition" which I can't find on Steam.

So... just gently caress anybody who was stupid enough to buy the vanilla version of the game then? Or am I doing something wrong?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, you're right. The standard release edition didn't receive any of the upgrades, including Arcade then Ultra. You had to have bought the completely separate release Super Street Fighter IV version to receive upgrades. Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition itself is no longer sold, it was superseded by Street Fighter IV Ultra.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So I have the plain old regular edition of Street Fighter IV and the Steam sale says I can upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV for $3.50. However when I try I get an error saying I need "Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition" which I can't find on Steam.

So... just gently caress anybody who was stupid enough to buy the vanilla version of the game then? Or am I doing something wrong?

There's a lot of reasons not to have got the original version of SF4, but to address your original issue- The orginal release of SF4 is a Games for WIndows refugee, so a lot of it's extended support is dead and buried. So, yeah, pretty much gently caress anyone who was stupid enough to buy the vanilla version, and I have no reason why it's still up on Steam outside legacy because it's nothing but a trap.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GreatGreen posted:

So... just gently caress anybody who was stupid enough to buy the vanilla version of the game then?

It's Capcom so yes. They literally release the same game 3-4 times with minor updates and charge $60 for it each time. Also they will sell you like four lazy skins for like $15. And their fans gobble it all up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When original Street Fighter IV came out, DLC wasn't quite a thing just yet. Just buy https://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/Ultra_Street_Fighter_IV/ its $7.50 right now. This is the best Street Fighter of the series because it has Makoto. :hellyeah:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's just not true at all. The Xbox 360 natively supported DLC with an entire marketplace and came out three years before the home versions of SFIV. SFIV even had day-one DLC for costumes. Additionally, Makoto is in Street Fighter III: Third Strike.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Bethesda invented DLC in 2006. Horse Armor never forget

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It wasn't the industry standard that it is now though. It was horse armor, and cut content coming on the game disc that you would later pay money for to unlock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

On release day SFIV had DLC for alternative costumes, and in the four weeks following they would release another DLC of alternative costumes every single week. DLC was very much a thing, although it might not have been able to leverage quite the same amount of data as it has since digital delivery became standard for even just regular content.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
To be fair, fighting games had been running on the model of update = new release for some eighteen years by the time of SFIV. I have a hard time thinking of one that predates SFIV that did it as a DLC model, and the only one I can think of that beat SF to it at all is Blazblue CS, which was... it's own little ball of greed.

Arcade Edition being a DLC update was probably a direct response to how grossly unpopular Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was at launch, being a new release of a game that was itself not even a year old. Despite costing the same as UMvC3, the update to Super into AE was received way, way more charitably by the player base.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 3, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looking at releases next week and this seems like a potentially neat point-n-click.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593640/Papetura/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GreatGreen posted:

It actually owned. I pre-ordered SF4 that came with the MadCatz Genesis style (which was my only console) fightpad since it was the very first real/online SF to finally come to PC and I had so much goddamn fun with it. I also got it 1 day earlier than apparently literally anyone else so I was #1 Bison in the world for a day. Should've taken a screenshot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

The true start for Yakuza is PS2 Yakuza 1.

You cannot truly understand the rich tapestry that is Yakuza without experiencing Mark Hamill's Majima.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Unfortunately the disc I had just about died after Majima's fight on the PS2 and the post-battle cutscene took like an hour to play out at speeds of 1-2 FPS.
It was a bit hard to make out Mark.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

they're good, folks

As I work through my shrinking backlog, this checks out.

Death Stranding - 6 hours in
Disco Elysium - Already beat, but would like to try the huge update
NieR: Automata - Just purchased, haven't started yet
Persona 4 - 8 hours in

Trickyblackjack posted:

Accurate, which is why I have no issue playing it all over again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

John Murdoch posted:

You cannot truly understand the rich tapestry that is Yakuza without experiencing Mark Hamill's Majima.

You'll also experience lots and lots of swearing because saying "gently caress" a lot is what really makes a Japanese gangster badass.

cursed_kiryu.jpg

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kuso....!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kanfy posted:

You'll also experience lots and lots of swearing because saying "gently caress" a lot is what really makes a Japanese gangster badass.

cursed_kiryu.jpg

Was this one of those old translation things like where people would insist that Ash Ketchum was constantly saying,"poo poo!" in Pokemon in the original Japanese?

Orv
May 4, 2011
What the gently caress was that, Pikachu?!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Omfg, Paradox has their own launcher as well now and they have added this bs it to Prison Architect. 'I could skip the account, but they made me accept 3 different eulas. gently caress offf

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

This always makes me wonder if I played the same Disco Elysium everyone else did. It was good but it wasn’t some kind of revelation. I liked that it didn’t have combat and had failure as a perfectly valid state but the goon fanaticism really put me off. It’s interesting because I see it as a game that’s both extremely excellent and extremely overrated at the same time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just finished the main game of Lego Marvel 2 and i dunno if I'm in the minority or not but it just feels like these games have so much bloat now.

I'm all for new content and stuff but now I'm in the post-game, i figured I'd get all the "cheat" blocks but, apparently, these are now locked behind missions which are in turn locked behind unlocking certain characters which in turn are locked behind doing special missions in different areas of the world map.

Also to make things worse you have to manually open up the world map each time you wanna see or set a marker for something on your minimap.

I always found the slow tick towards collecting everything in these games satisfying but the hoop-jumping just feels offputting now.

Do all of the newer lego games (like DC villains) follow this same pattern or is it just the marvel ones?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This always makes me wonder if I played the same Disco Elysium everyone else did. It was good but it wasn’t some kind of revelation. I liked that it didn’t have combat and had failure as a perfectly valid state but the goon fanaticism really put me off. It’s interesting because I see it as a game that’s both extremely excellent and extremely overrated at the same time.

IDK I just never find myself aligning with whatever The Biggest Thing with goons is at any particular time, either. Effusive praise always makes me skeptical because I tend to be a very skeptical person. I just know that with my own sensibilities I gotta grade everything on at least a 20-pt. anime/irony curve on these forums.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jerusalem posted:

Was this one of those old translation things like where people would insist that Ash Ketchum was constantly saying,"poo poo!" in Pokemon in the original Japanese?

No, there is a fair amount of swearing in Ryu Ga Gotoku but it's not quite as 'harsh' as that I guess? Kuso can vary depending on context and stuff for instance.

PS2 Y1 also had a lot of enemy mobs that would sight you and yell "motherFUCKER" in a weird faux Chris Rock voice as they approached.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Disco Elysium has the rare occurrence of well written, intelligent, funny, and self aware writing that is just lightyears above most of the stuff you usually find in games. It also has some very beautiful water-color art.

However, as far as gameplay go, it's "merely" competent. It does it's job well, and it is a very engaging roleplaying game, but It mostly is thanks to the writing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't know if I want to actually play DE, but "These lines sound very communist or fascist, what if I don't want to say one of those?" "Say one of these fascist or communist things or gently caress off" is extremely funny to me.

e: https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentMoralBobaSMOrc-iPubLE1RZdr021nk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

Omfg, Paradox has their own launcher as well now and they have added this bs it to Prison Architect. 'I could skip the account, but they made me accept 3 different eulas. gently caress offf
Paradox seems like a company that's really squandered a lot of the good will it had built up at an incredible rate these last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Disco Elysium deserves the praise, but mostly because it does something different that other games don't and it does it well. To be honest it feels like a total fluke that it works as well it does.

It's also a high concept game that gets by entirely on writing, which is very much not something I would recommend to most people.