Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

E: Wrong thread

I can't believe decorated plates are still a thing in the year of our lord 2021. It feels like a 90s thing that should've stayed in the 90s

Ignis fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So happy to see "how is babby formed" make the cut.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

rujasu posted:

I mean, literally all of the top Google results say no, you should just run in a straight goddamn line, it's faster and gators aren't going to pursue someone who is running away from them. I think your elementary school may have been full of poo poo.

I got yelled at when I told people the first exoplanet had been discovered so probably! :eng99:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

rujasu posted:

I mean, literally all of the top Google results say no, you should just run in a straight goddamn line, it's faster and gators aren't going to pursue someone who is running away from them. I think your elementary school may have been full of poo poo.

In any case, alligators generally aren't that aggressive. Crocodiles, on the other hand...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Saltwater crocodiles and Polar bears are the two animals that will try to eat you if there's the slightest chance (other stuff will only attack in certain circumstances/individuals)

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 15, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, I lived in northern Australia for a while and saltwater crocs absolutely do not gently caress around. They kill 1-2 people a year (way more than snakes or spiders), and the policy for dealing with saltwater crocs is generally "stay the gently caress away".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: that :911: joke he slipped in was :discourse::allbuttons:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
AND a James Blackwood cameo???
:allears::swoon:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: that :911: joke he slipped in was :discourse::allbuttons:

That bit was amazing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Random mocking of Magnolia for being a 3.5-hour ball of maudlin silliness :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oylmpics?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

kaworu posted:

Random homage to Magnolia for being a 3-hour sophomore triumph from pt anderson :)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

If you were a real PT Anderson fan you'd know Magnolia was his third film, not his second :colbert:

I don't wait for old people, I don't wait for old people, shaka-laka-doobie-dooooo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPB9c4t0Ok

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I assure you i know, i just had a lapse!

To be fair, the world was much more going in to Magnolia knowing that it was from the guy who did Boogie Nights, than they were going into Boogie Nights knowing it was the guy who did Hard Eight. But yes I was WRONG

The real point is I will not let anyone besmirch my boy pta :colbert:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm actually a really massive fan of PTA and have been ever since, specifically, 1999 when Magnolia first came out and 14-year-old kaworu was absolutely blown the gently caress away by this film. I literally saw Magnolia three more times in the movie theater, taking each of my parents in turn (it was rated R and thus I couldn't see it by myself) in part because I wanted them to see it, but also because I was so totally and completely enraptured and in love with the film itself, and the characters, and everything about it.

That said, in a certain light I find it hard to deny that Magnolia can be overwrought and a bit silly at times. But as we say these days, that's a feature not a bug - it's meant to have that operatic, over-the-top mawkishness and that's probably a big reason why it appealed to me so much when I was younger. And why I feel an odd sense of embarrassment while watching parts of it now, as an adult. I felt like John Oliver's joking about that Julianne Moore scene was expressing something kinda similar, but probably that's just me projecting.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

More web graphics
https://youtu.be/Of3fbIgSqeU

I guess Colin Firth is replacing Adam Driver

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Got my Nic Cage pillow. Turns out it was just a pillow case and you have to supply your own pillow. I happen to have one.

It is just as glorious as John describes it. It is cheap, low res garbage, but it will remain in my heart as true surrealist art. loving magnificent.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol::laffo::lol:
:allbuttons:

That Kennedy joke...good grief he keeps slipping in these absolute bangers! :hai:

I’ll be sad when the void goes away and an audience starts “ewwwwwew-ing” at these...

Keep ‘em coming!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’ll be sad when the void goes away and an audience starts “ewwwwwew-ing” at these...

Yeah, no way that one works live. Gonna be a shame when he can't go that dark anymore.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
He is 100% wrong about the US Consumer Product Safety Commission twitter :colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I have no idea what to make of that egg-scursion (:haw:) relating to Melinda Gates. :confuoot:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That Kennedy joke caught me mid-coffee sip, goddamn it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’ve got to wonder - would anyone be upset if the show never left the void, even after the COVID situation permits it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John might, since he has a background in standup and might enjoy the feedback of a live audience.

As a viewer? gently caress no. Live studios are terrible and talk shows are one of their last bastions. The sooner they die off completely, the better.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I actually had a very similar thought about the void when I watched Mortal Kombat last week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaroff posted:

I’ve got to wonder - would anyone be upset if the show never left the void, even after the COVID situation permits it?
It will definitely make the show worse - removing the audience was an immediate improvement - and it will definitely happen.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Well no wonder he didn't tell her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's just so bullshit that you can't have dreads at work just because you think it looks good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

It's just so bullshit that you can't have dreads at work just because you think it looks good.

I remember this extending to a lot more hair styles, and it was a lot more restrictive all-around. Some jobs are still like that. I specifically remember a few jobs where the dress code specifically said that your hair could not be an "unnatural" color. So you could die your hair, but only if you went with a color that supposedly could exist naturally on a human head. They let some of the less real reds go through, because that's been around forever I guess? But anything that was too vivid (like the crayon color red), or anything that was blue or green or whatever? Nope.

Of course, by far these restrictions hit people of color much harder than white people. And, those restrictions that did hit white people were generally the ones dealing specifically with color, although men had additional rules about length. I dealt with those as an adult, actually, because I had long hair and had an office job that required it to be pulled into a pony tail every day. But nobody told me I had to cut it off.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alhazred posted:

It's ridiculous how weird white people get over black people's hair. Also that touching thing was actually well understated. I grew up in an area that was something like 90% white and had people asking to touch my hair all the way through high school.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Vanderdeath posted:

It's ridiculous how weird white people get over black people's hair. Also that touching thing was actually well understated. I grew up in an area that was something like 90% white and had people asking to touch my hair all the way through high school.

They asked you?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Veskit posted:

They asked you?

Once I got older, yeah. I had plenty of kids growing up haul off and touch my hair out of nowhere. I'm 100% certain this is why I'm extremely angry whenever someone invades my personal space.

More on topic, I actually lost a job as a teen at Hollywood Video because of my 'fro at the time. The manager straight up told me I was violating company policy (with no explanation further) and let me go. My hair is the only explanation I can think of.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Timely: https://sports.yahoo.com/north-carolina-softball-player-forced-to-cut-beaded-hair-193242527.html

quote:

At first, Pyles was told that her braids, which had clear beads on the ends, were covering her number on the back of her jersey. So she did what she could to put her hair in a bun and tuck them out of sight.

That wasn't good enough. It was made clear to Pyles that she either had to get the beads out of her hair or she couldn't keep playing.

According to Pyles, she'd had the braids in for around a handful of previous games this spring, and the same white umpire was a game official for at least one of those games. He said nothing to her at that time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007
Empathize with stupidity and you’re halfway to thinking like an idiot

Vanderdeath posted:

Once I got older, yeah. I had plenty of kids growing up haul off and touch my hair out of nowhere. I'm 100% certain this is why I'm extremely angry whenever someone invades my personal space.

More on topic, I actually lost a job as a teen at Hollywood Video because of my 'fro at the time. The manager straight up told me I was violating company policy (with no explanation further) and let me go. My hair is the only explanation I can think of.

Ok I did this once when I was about five. My friend Rachel had such amazing, cool soft hair and I was fascinated by it. Her mum then occasionally braided both of us, so somewhere there are some amazing pics of my incredibly white self looking like a tiny beacon of appropriation and feeling pretty awesome.

Jfc it hurt tho. I'm fairly certain it taught me how to be stoic in the face of pain.

My school was pretty mixed. I remember how amazed we all were when a Sikh kid unwound his turban to show us how long and amazing his hair had got and then he got in trouble when his Dad found out.

Honestly, I can't think of anything better than kids/people just getting to hang out together from all parts of life to both simultaneously enjoy and not give a poo poo about these kinda differences. It is a shame that this is a rarity. I was very lucky.

And don't get me wrong, there was still a lot of overtly racist fuckery about. It wasn't kumbaya. I'm old so poo poo like gangs of skinheads spraypainting slurs was a lovely part of the back drop but I am certain that environment and experience trumped this stuff.

However, this is a very UK centric view and we remain a very racist country. Intersectionality here might even be worse because we're so loving hung up on class as well in a way that doesn't seem as pervasive in America.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ClydeFrog posted:

However, this is a very UK centric view and we remain a very racist country. Intersectionality here might even be worse because we're so loving hung up on class as well in a way that doesn't seem as pervasive in America.

It could be worse; Ireland is right next door, and I genuinely don't even know what to make of race in Ireland. I vaguely recall only ever seeing one Black person in my hometown growing up, who was a teenager when I was still quite young and I only ever saw occasionally while walking to school. The locality had a population of about 10,000 people from what I can see on a quick Google and he was the one non-White person I can remember ever seeing. I don't know if that one kid was adopted, or if he had Black parents I just never saw around town but so far as I know that one guy was it. The place was homogenous enough that I recall one Asian person giving a talk at local schools about once a year when I was growing to tell us about Asian culture for a short while. I don't even know what country he talked about, since it was when I was 6 or 7; I just remember chopsticks being given out and finding them really difficult to use in the few minutes we had them since I never used them outside those talks growing up.

Ireland's geography as a small island with bad weather and a dogshit economy until about 40 years ago after joining the European Union meant the island just wasn't an attractive prospect for immigrants in general I suppose, and it's only in the last few decades that there's been any real influx of people from outside the country but it's still really homogenous in general. I basically never experienced other races or cultures outside TV, books etc. until I moved out of my hometown when I was 19. There is a small number of Black or Asian people in cities, but it's still only a couple of percent of the population overall. I took a look at the latest census data from 2016 a few weeks ago, and even then the number of people who identify as Black in one form or another has actually shrunk a little over the last census. The number of Asian identifying people has grown a bit though, at least. I think that might be due to educational links, since I know the college I'm studying at (as a mature student of nearly 40 to be clear; since my childhoold would have quite a few years ago at this point) currently has some links with colleges in China for instance, and there are a fair few Chinese students at the campus because of it.

Still, I commute to the college (or did, pre-pandemic), which is about an hour's bus journey each morning and even now my hometown is almost completely White. It's not quite as homogenous as it was when I was growing up, but it's certainly not a picture of multiculturalism or anything. Prejudice in Ireland (the Republic at least) is more focused on nationality or living status than on race, from what I can see. I'm sure racism does exist and have certainly heard about occasional instances of it, but the non-White population is so small that it's not as noticable or prevalent. I remember a few years ago when I first applied to be a mature student that the forms I filled in had a term I'd never seen before: African-Irish. A term that makes complete sense as something that must exist, but which I'd never actually come across before. A term I still have to check in my head to ensure I have the order right by checking it against how "African-American" is ordered (i.e. Afirca then America; not the other way around), because I've come across it so rarely.

When immigrants did start moving into Ireland a lot of them were Eastern Europe migrants, particularly Polish when I was growing up and I can remember a lot of casual dismissiveness from those around me towards them, for taking jobs etc. It's not really something I've noticed as much these days, probably because it's just become accepted and mundane, but I know that incoming migrants still receive some awful conditions from the government. They're basically put up in public housing facilities (house being a misleading name perhaps), where they live communily and are closer to inmates than citizens. Which can last for years as their application is processed. A system the government deliberately uses to discourage migration, and which the UN has condemned several times over the years to no avail.

The bigger problem in the Republic, and it's a bit of a problem from what I gather in Britain too, is travellers. Who large portions of the population are casually prejudiced towards with no shame. I certainly remember stigma around the few kids who were travellers in school when I was growing up. They have to live on segregated areas on the outskirts of towns, which are often underfunded and not given proper amenities among other issues. One of the candidates for president of Ireland in the last race used almost Trumpian diatribe towards the traveller community and got a bump in support because of it; though he was a minor enough candidate that it still didn't amount to much. The role is also entirely ceremonial, and has almost no actual power. It's basically the head diplomat. So it wouldn't have been as terrible if he'd gotten elected, regardless.

I know race is an issue kind of bubbling under the surface of Ireland, but the attitudes towards immigrants in general and travellers are much more visible. It'd be nice to think that because that racism is basically invisible that it doesn't exist, or that it's not really an issue in Ireland and that by the time non-White communities in the country grow to a notable proportion of the population, especially outside cities, that people would accept them and move on or something, but it's probably just another issue waiting to boil to the surface. Which will probably happen in a way that shocks the majority of people as if it was completely out of left-field, like Windrush in the UK or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 14, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That is actually really close to how the vikings cut their hair. Because the braidings you see on the tv show Vikings is more or less 100% fictional. And also a bit problematic in that it's okay to have a show with white people with cornrows.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007
Empathize with stupidity and you’re halfway to thinking like an idiot

Just wanted to say I really appreciated you taking the time to post that out. Very interesting depiction.

I've lived in more rural places and the culture shock was quite something. Going from somewhere I could get any food you could think of at 1am to somewhere that thought the local Chinese was a bit exotic - but only by moving 60 miles out of London was quite an eye-opener.

UK is so tiny compared to the States but we still have space to build our little enclaves sadly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact race is such a non-factor in Irish life in general, at least outside major cities, makes me somewhat self-conscious about race because it's such a major issue on the news and even in the majority of media that I consume given that most of that media is made for and by Americans or British people. I've only ever worked with one Black person for instance, and that was only for 1 week while I was doing work experience a few years back. The guy implied that he had experienced some racism in Ireland over the years, and that the reason he was so comfortable with jokes about his treatment by others based on race by another guy working there was because that one guy had known him for years at that point, and knew some of what he'd gone through. Which I found out after making a similar joke (something along the lines of "at least they didn't mention you were Black") to try and fit in with them, and the guy making it clear that while he understood what I was doing, that he didn't like me saying something like that because I didn't really know him. Which is perfectly fair, and while it was something I was happy to learn, I do wish I could take back because it was a dick move to put the guy in that position.

It does make me wonder though, not so much "am I racist" since that's more of a superficial and conscious bias and seems like something you'd be more capable of recognizing, so much as "what subconscious biases do I have and just not recognize", and whether those bias' are affecting how I treat people from other backgrounds when I do interact with them. Or what is and isn't a racist act or thought. I remember when I first moved into a bigger city I did some courses in a state funded program and there were a couple of Nigerian immigrants in the class I was doing. I hung out a good bit with one of them, but noticed pretty quickly that there was a particular smell about him. Not even a bad smell, or anything; just notable. And noticing that smell alone made me feel weird, because should I have? Was I just noticing it because of his race?

I'd assume now in retrospect that he noticed a particular smell around me or most other Irish people too, because he had been raised in a completely different environment and presumably had a completely different diet. Since your body tends to take on a slight odor of your diet, that's noticable to others with a different diet since you sweat bits of it out and what not. I read up on it a bit at some point, and I vaguely recall reading that most Europeans and Americans smell of slightly rancid milk, because they consume so many dairy based products in general while Asians nations tend towards a more fishy smell since diary isn't as much of a part of the diet but fish is a bigger part of it. It's mostly just a factor of diet and maybe environment, and any culture or nation that has a sufficiently different diet or environment will just have a notably different smell to others outside that group. People inside that group just never notice it though, since it's omnipresent.

Again though, because race just isn't a major fact of smaller towns in Ireland I end up wondering whether I am racist and just don't know it because I don't interact much with people of other races or cultures, or whether I'm harboring some racist thoughts or indugling in racist acts and just not recognizing it because there's no-one of another race or culture around the majority of the time to see it any different. This post and the last one have taken me about a half hour or more to write apiece, with constant tiny edits to wording because I'm just woried that I'm writing something that will generally make me look racist or at least ignorant. Which I hope there isn't, but still makes me feel exposed regardless. There's no Irish version of John Oliver to pin-point issues in the country, much as it would be nice, but there is a podcast I listen to regularly called The Irish Podcast, hosted by one journalist and one history major who tend to go pretty in depth on history, politics, cultural issues etc. and even there race hasn't come up much because it's just not a major issue (yet) in Ireland. It did highlight a book I want to buy at some point with some relevance to the topic though, called "Don't Touch My Hair", by Emma Dabiri; who grew up in Ireland of Nigerian parents. She was interviewed on the Podcast at one point a while back too, though it wasn't about the book or anything. I'll probably buy the audiobook on Audible soon, since I have a monthy account there and it should be giving me a new credit in the next week or two.

At which point, it's may be worth me pointing that I genuinely didn't even know there was any textural difference in White people and Black people's hair until I watched this episode. I probably did see shows where people said it or something over the years, but anything that noted it would just have slipped by me as a minor line that never stuck with me, rather than highlighting a notable difference. So as obvious as it may seem to some posters, or as insulting as it probably feels like to need explanation to guys like Vanderdeath or Veskit who've lived with such ignorance, it's genuinely new and useful information to people like me; even if I may not be the ideal audience member as a non-American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ClydeFrog posted:

Just wanted to say I really appreciated you taking the time to post that out. Very interesting depiction.

I've lived in more rural places and the culture shock was quite something. Going from somewhere I could get any food you could think of at 1am to somewhere that thought the local Chinese was a bit exotic - but only by moving 60 miles out of London was quite an eye-opener.

UK is so tiny compared to the States but we still have space to build our little enclaves sadly.

Sadly that is incredibly common in the US and is part of the problem in general. You have people who live such isolated lives and have no real context outside of it or what the TV/hatebox tells them. In the US there is also a huge rise in willful ignorance that has become accepted in the last 20 or so years. For example I had an employee years ago who was in college to be a school teacher. She told me that she refuses to learn history because she "didn't like it". When I reminded her that she would have to teach it if she got employed she just shrugged. I met many people who had not gone more than 30 miles from where they were born in their lives, many in their 40s-60s. One guy said he had never gone to another state, despite there being one 5 miles away and refused to do it.

I don't know if there is a solution to any of this stuff. Once societally it was shameful to be ignorant. Sadly collective shame doesn't seem to have an effect on most people anymore.