Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is Six String Samurai worth picking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I really enjoyed it, but it seems to be a very decisive movie with some people saying it tries to hard to be weird. It’s free on YouTube so I say watch it before the sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPP00uNkNI

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PeterCat posted:

Is Six String Samurai worth picking up?

There this incredibly annoying kid character that by himself should make you hesitate. The movie desperately, desperately wants to be a cult classic. Some of the one-liners are pretty good, but a ton of them are forced. I would NOT blind buy this movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Six-String Samurai is amazing if you watch it for the first time when you’re like 13-17ish, but uhhhh no I would not recommend it as a blind buy. I was all excited to rewatch it not long ago and then had to shut it off 20 minutes in.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, Six String Samurai is the type of movie that's more known for its hype than its actual quality. I remember being hyped up about it for a while then when I finally saw it, I thought no way was that worth the word of mouth.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It tries pretty hard to be Lone Wolf and Cub meets Road Warrior, but with a wild Repo Man tone, and doesn't even come close to any of those. It's like a music video that goes on for way too long. I had no idea the guy who did it ended up doing The Crow: Wicked Prayer, but yeeeesh, SSS is at least way better than that disaster.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know this sounds obvious, but should I only turn on dolby vision for discs that have it? Referring to the Sony player that needs a manual input for DV, I'm wondering if it's beneficial to other movies in any way.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thanks for all the replies regarding SSS.

There are so many movies on VS that I'd pick up based on the description alone, but I don't have unlimited funds or time. I'll try to give SSS a look on Youtube.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Crow: Wicked Prayer is actually the best Crow movie if you're looking for a comedic farce from that series, which at this point is all that's kinda left of it anyway. Boreanaz is noticably hosed up in every scene he's in, Hopper is slumming it, it's great.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kingtheninja posted:

I know this sounds obvious, but should I only turn on dolby vision for discs that have it? Referring to the Sony player that needs a manual input for DV, I'm wondering if it's beneficial to other movies in any way.

My understanding is that you should leave it off for movies that don’t support it because it can only hurt. I forget exactly how, but I think maybe the contrast gets screwed up on some films. Some people leave it off 100% of the time, apparently - the effect isn’t that amazing depending on your TV, apparently.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kingtheninja posted:

Yea, keep it turned off unless the back of the box says otherwise.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Six string samurai was cool as poo poo when I was 10 but sucks now. Is this the biggest movie VS has released yet? Almost want to get it just to make sure they do more bigger ones.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Beastmaster was probably a bigger title.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
SSS sucks but you gotta give 'em points for trying.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, the concept has potential. Alternate history Buddy Holly roaming through a nuclear wasteland in search of The King while a bunch of rockabilly Russians pursue him? Solid, sign me up.

Too bad about uh every bit of the execution.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

it’s so bad, i was stunned to see VS giving it this much effort

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Eh, I don't think it's as bad as some of yall think. I imagine it'll look pretty nice restored.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm not exactly sure how we're defining "big" but I would think VinSyn's biggest would probably be Dolemite.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MacheteZombie posted:

Eh, I don't think it's as bad as some of yall think. I imagine it'll look pretty nice restored.

Oh, I’m sure it’ll look good; I remember some nice desert vistas

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know if the special features disks from the Theatrical Editions of Lord Of The Rings are the same as the "Behind The Scenes" disks from the Extended Editions? They have different disk art, but I imagine they are the same features you'd find from the Extended's bonus disks (either Behind The Scenes or the Appendixes).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

Does anyone know if the special features disks from the Theatrical Editions of Lord Of The Rings are the same as the "Behind The Scenes" disks from the Extended Editions? They have different disk art, but I imagine they are the same features you'd find from the Extended's bonus disks (either Behind The Scenes or the Appendixes).

The UHD LOTR and Hobbit sets contain no special features from the previous versions.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh sorry, I meant from the bluray copies. These special feature disks are all DVDs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Less than 24 hours until the biggest UHD release of the year!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I think you got your dates mixed up. It comes out May 11.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think you got your dates mixed up. It comes out May 11.

I have so many technical questions

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I have so many technical questions

Blu ray.com review basically is like "well this is early CG animation from like 20 years ago but the HDR looks ok I guess :shrug:"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I hope this is a special feature. In 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAsPeY8BsQU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Speed? Mine showed up today. Just biked, gonna shower and then throw it on!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Blu ray.com review basically is like "well this is early CG animation from like 20 years ago but the HDR looks ok I guess :shrug:"

But can I play it on a Shrek CRT TV?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

My battle royale set arrived today. Gonna throw it on later this week, but all the extra booklets and cards are real nice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is freaked no where's on ape.tv :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like it's not up for streaming anywhere a drat

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Pretty sure it’s on YouTube.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Willy Wonka UHD announced! Helllll yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speed? Mine showed up today. Just biked, gonna shower and then throw it on!

Jealous!

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Boywhiz88 posted:

Willy Wonka UHD announced! Helllll yeah

gently caress yes. This is probably the most exciting release for me yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just :lol: if it's the Johnny Depp version

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I found a DVD copy of What the Bleep do We Know: Down the Rabbit Hole in a little book nook and the menu breakdown is buck:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That is amazing and almost reads as parody. All that’s missing is a “No Horseshit” mode where it ejects the disc, and I would fully believe it’s fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

yoohoo posted:

gently caress yes. This is probably the most exciting release for me yet.

Yeah, suuuper pumped about the possibilities here. I think the BD is supposed to be pretty mediocre. Good color but ok image quality.

Yeah, it looks good. Still the same audio mix, but it bangs the same. I’m waiting for a lazy day to watch it through.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 4, 2021