Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JT Smiley posted:

Watching the 95 movie now and I can't believe I thought this guy playing Kano was actually Australian when I was a kid.

Trevor Goddard was extremely unpopular in Australia because his accent was so good he kept taking gigs from Aussie actors. Sadly, he's no longer with us; he died of what was described as an accidental drug overdose in 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

Trevor Goddard was extremely unpopular in Australia because his accent was so good he kept taking gigs from Aussie actors. Sadly, he's no longer with us; he died of what was described as an accidental drug overdose in 2003.

In fairness, lying to a bunch of americans for money and then dying of a drug overdose is extremely Aussie. I think we'll let him slide.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gatts posted:

If there is a sequel then Johnny Cage needs to split punch more people in the balls

Honestly it should just be this except instead of slapping it's Johnny Cage groinpunching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZvUeAdzeI

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm liking Goro as a cinematic jobber. Dude loses to a quip in mk95.

True, but MK95 also hyped the hell out of him -- he got not one, not two, but three scenes before his Johnny Cage fight establishing him as someone not to be hosed with.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

McSpanky posted:

True, but MK95 also hyped the hell out of him -- he got not one, not two, but three scenes before his Johnny Cage fight establishing him as someone not to be hosed with.

The dinner scene was crucial you're right, really established him as a real thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RUUETWIlfY

I've loved this movie since I was a kid and still feel it holds up. But I always got the impression Sonya's actress wasn't very good at fake fighting or something.
I still like this scene, though. I guess there's a virtue in knowing how to use what you're given.

How is the new Sonya?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I feel like no one even gave her any direction on anything in that fight. Like he pose is so awkward and her moves are so drat clumsy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wasn’t she also a replacement actress because the prior one injured herself during fight training?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn’t she also a replacement actress because the prior one injured herself during fight training?

Yup. And that original actress was Cameron Diaz. She injured her wrist and had to drop out.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Gavok posted:

Mortal Kombat non-game media power rankings.

1. All the MK game commercials, especially the one for MK2
2. MK 95 movie
3. Those MK comics you had to get through the arcade machines
4. MK Scorpion's Revenge animated movie
5. MK 2021 movie
6. MKX comic prequel
7. MK Legacy web series
8. MK Rebirth short film
9. MK Conquest live-action show
10. MK Defenders of the Realm cartoon
11. MK Malibu comics
12. MK prequel novel
13. MK Annihilation movie
14. MK Live Tour
15. MK Journey Begins animated movie
16. MK Federation of Martial arts web series

Just saw legacy is on hbo, can i watch it as a prequel to mk'21 of sorts?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sonya’s actor having the restraint to not join in on overplaying Aussie stuff is admirable. She’s Australian too and it would be challenging to not start swearing constantly too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I've loved this movie since I was a kid and still feel it holds up. But I always got the impression Sonya's actress wasn't very good at fake fighting or something.
I still like this scene, though. I guess there's a virtue in knowing how to use what you're given.

Which in this case is running the film in reverse.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Yeah, I rewatched MK95 this weekend after watching the new movie and was surprised to see that MK95 still largely holds up. The special effects obviously suck now, but it feels kinda silly to hold that against it. What it did have was great atmosphere, the perfect amount of campiness without going over, none of that arcana nonsense, and a lot of fan service without feeling hamfisted.

Outside of special effects, I think the only thing MK95 lacked compared to MK21 was a good story for Scorpion and Subzero.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Other than some lovely CGI (Reptile and Shao Khan, mostly) then MK95 holds up really well. Even the lovely shrinking effect when Goro paid the price for breaking $500 sunglasses rear end in a top hat.

Something about Goro in MK95 just seems so much better than the new one. Not from a design standpoint but from a story standpoint. MK95 Goro got punched in the balls and kicked off a cliff and lost in a Flawless Victory; but even in light of that Goro in MK95 was just so much more badass.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drainpipe posted:

Outside of special effects, I think the only thing MK95 lacked compared to MK21 was a good story for Scorpion and Subzero.

Yeah I remember being really upset about that when MK95 came out.

"Deadliest of enemies...but powerless under my control."

Oh, so we're just not going to cover the coolest story in Mortal Kombat in the Mortal Kombat movie, despite having both characters right there? Cool cool cool cool cool.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sub Zero freezing that guy in midair and him shattering at Shang Tsung’s feet was the coolest thing my 7 year old brain had ever seen

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just saw the new Mortal Kombat and it was not good. It was just, like, tolerable? I didn't get bored but I can't really say a lot of positive things about it. I liked Sub Zero and Scorpion and sort of wanted more of them beyond the intro scene and the underwhelming last fight. Kano was okay, the 10 seconds of Kung Lao fighting we got was fun and everyone else were forgettable

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Other than some lovely CGI (Reptile and Shao Khan, mostly) then MK95 holds up really well. Even the lovely shrinking effect when Goro paid the price for breaking $500 sunglasses rear end in a top hat.

Something about Goro in MK95 just seems so much better than the new one. Not from a design standpoint but from a story standpoint. MK95 Goro got punched in the balls and kicked off a cliff and lost in a Flawless Victory; but even in light of that Goro in MK95 was just so much more badass.

I was 6 or 7 when this movie came out so naturally I had already played the M rated video game and was super excited for the movie. My grandmother didn't want me seeing it though because she naturally heard all about the EXTREME VIOLENCE of Mortal Kombat.

Then the movie wasn't that violent at all and most relevantly to your post, she loved that scene and line from Johnny. We both ended up really liking the movie.

Also I just wanna say, when commenting on Mk's infamous legacy of gore and violence, I've seen some folks in here saying "I haven't played MK in years, maybe I'll check out one of the new games now." The fatalities in the reboot franchise are hosed up and not enjoyable at all to me. Mortal Kombat was always cartoony - violent and offensive in the comedic style of something from the 90s. New Mortal Kombat is literally giving the fatality researchers nightmares.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You should check out Injustice, it's goofy without the gore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I enjoyed them when they were just doing more graphic versions of the "classic" fatalities. Scorpion burns a guy, Sub Zero shatters a guy. But they had to keep upping the ante, so by MK11 practically all of them have to end with a corpse exploding in a shower of organs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 3, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

After digesting a bit, I'm coming down generally positive on MK21. I didn't like it as much as MK95, which I have watched endlessly down the years and is the only movie not directed by John Carpenter that I've upgraded from VHS to DVD to Blu, but there's a lot to like in the new movie. Bi Han speaking to Hanzo in Chinese when he speaks Japanese (and presumably knows Hanzo doesn't speak Chinese) is a wonderfully calculated insult. Kano gets all the best lines and makes a likeable heel even if you know the turn is coming. "Your beer's poo poo and you're almost out of it" is my favourite line of dialogue in any movie in a long time. I hope they find an excuse to bring him back with Shang Tsung's necromancy. And Cole's "plot armour" is actually foreshadowed right from the start, when the fight promoter describes him as a punching bag because he won't quit fighting even though he always loses now. When he gets his arkana, it's armour that makes him more powerful the more he gets beaten down.

On the other hand, it feels like a lot was chopped to get the run time down to 110 minutes. A bit more exposition about Cole's family wouldn't have gone amiss. They should have spent more money on practical sets - I'm fairly sure that MK95 didn't spend money on anything else - and less on CGI. Save Goro as a teaser for the sequel if they were going to use anything, then invest properly in making the character real. Send Reiko after Cole's family instead, to give him a bit more screentime. Finally, they needed to not use announcer lines. They worked (mostly) in MK95 because with one exception it was Shang Tsung who said them in his capacity as master of the tournament. Without that context and given to any random Tom, Dick and Kano, they stand out like a unicycle in a tank regiment.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, only Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa could get away with that. He could've started reading out game menu options and still make them sound cool.

"Mmm... vertical sync... ON."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I liked the announcer line the first time it happened in the movie but then it happened two more times after that and I audibly groaned for both of them. I think you can get away with a cheeky "flawless victory" after an rear end whooping but only once.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, only Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa could get away with that. He could've started reading out game menu options and still make them sound cool.

"Mmm... vertical sync... ON."

drat I actually heard that in CHT's Shang Tsung's voice.

And it was GREAT

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

drat I actually heard that in CHT's Shang Tsung's voice.

And it was GREAT

For me it switched between that voice and George Takei's.

still great

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I tried watching Scorpion's Revenge last night and I was definitely bored when it was just the not-particularly-interesting MK1 setup story again. There's nothing much to get out of this that you wouldn't get from playing story mode in MKX/11.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I tried watching Scorpion's Revenge last night and I was definitely bored when it was just the not-particularly-interesting MK1 setup story again. There's nothing much to get out of this that you wouldn't get from playing story mode in MKX/11.

Same. I actually turned it off half way through out of utter boredom. It's the same story I've seen, like, at least 3 times already, with very little new to see, and no real new spin. I'm surprised it's regarded so highly.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

explosivo posted:

I liked the announcer line the first time it happened in the movie but then it happened two more times after that and I audibly groaned for both of them. I think you can get away with a cheeky "flawless victory" after an rear end whooping but only once.

I liked them. gently caress it, it's Mortal Kombat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hell, they should just have the announcer lines be spoken by an actual ghostly announcer that nobody ever seems to acknowledge. They did it for the 95 Reptile fight and it was :discourse:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Perestroika posted:

Hell, they should just have the announcer lines be spoken by an actual ghostly announcer that nobody ever seems to acknowledge. They did it for the 95 Reptile fight and it was :discourse:
I believe the "Reptile" there is actually part of the song? Which is hilarious.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Nope. Here's the song which is an instrumental:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRlvrtdS0c

Song still owns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The United States posted:

I believe the "Reptile" there is actually part of the song? Which is hilarious.

It's unfortunately not but should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-Takf76RY

boop the snoot posted:

It's because he was an character in the '95 movie who shows up early and gets built up over a couple of scenes. So even him dying in a stupid way was a good payoff because after the build up and Goro killing Johnny Cage's best friend it fit that Cage deciding he was going to play dirty and get this dude killed ASAP. Goro doesn't have a lot of dialogue but you can tell he's this sort of haughty honorable warrior type and Cage took advantage of that. I love Goro's brief scene with Kano where he's talking poo poo about how awesome he is and Goro's just being thoroughly unimpressed. Stuff like that adds a lot of life to him compared to how in the new one he just sort of shows up and throws people around and then gets gutted.

Goro in the new movie wasn't even a character.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hopefully the tournament is actually a tournament and there can be a side plot with brackets and gambling and stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It's unfortunately not but should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-Takf76RY

It's because he was an character in the '95 movie who shows up early and gets built up over a couple of scenes. So even him dying in a stupid way was a good payoff because after the build up and Goro killing Johnny Cage's best friend it fit that Cage deciding he was going to play dirty and get this dude killed ASAP. Goro doesn't have a lot of dialogue but you can tell he's this sort of haughty honorable warrior type and Cage took advantage of that. I love Goro's brief scene with Kano where he's talking poo poo about how awesome he is and Goro's just being thoroughly unimpressed. Stuff like that adds a lot of life to him compared to how in the new one he just sort of shows up and throws people around and then gets gutted.

Goro in the new movie wasn't even a character.

"I'm a pretty big shot myself. Ya know, back home..."
How lucky for THEM..."back home."

I can quote entirely too much of this movie from memory. But I agree totally with your point.

Does anybody else remember some weird martial arts TV show from the 90s that the first guy Liu Kang fought was also in? I remember I knew him immediately upon seeing him in the movie but the show itself is a dim memory at this point.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

NikkolasKing posted:

"I'm a pretty big shot myself. Ya know, back home..."
How lucky for THEM..."back home."

I can quote entirely too much of this movie from memory. But I agree totally with your point.

Does anybody else remember some weird martial arts TV show from the 90s that the first guy Liu Kang fought was also in? I remember I knew him immediately upon seeing him in the movie but the show itself is a dim memory at this point.

WMAC Masters.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I loved it, but I am easy to please. I liked the theme song at the end, sue me. Not as fun as MK95 but still a pleasant experience. My main issue with it was they weren't sure which direction to go in. Is it a fun, over the top film that doesn't take itself seriously? Or is it more "grounded" and gritty. The intro fleshing out Scorpion/Subzero, which were the best 15 minutes of my life, set a precedent that characters will be explored, and that just did not happen. Sure, we spent a lot of time with Sonya, Jax and Kano, that was a nice introduction. Raiden, who is the probably the most central figure in MK lore, only got a few minutes of screen time and a really weird over the top Japanese accent. It almost sounded cartoonish-ly racist, at one point I expected him to blurt out FLIED LICE

We barely spent any time with Kabal (looked cool as poo poo though), Mileena and Shang Tsung. Instead of coming off as viable villains it felt like they were generic, though excellent cosplaying, baddies. And GORO. MAN. I thought Goro looked absolutely amazing and was eager to see him. But then even Shang Tsung sounded like he literally forgot he EXISTED. When Goro showed up he was like "Oh yeah! It's Goro! Go gently caress up a farm," cool thanks for the three Goro minutes.

They should have removed Nitara, Reiko, Kung Lao, and "Reptile" entirely. And, I'll argue, Cole Young. I understand the purpose of his character but he is unnecessary. Start the story with Sub Zero flinging ice at Jax and go from there.

Because of the limited screen time of all those dudes the film veered dangerously close to "too much poo poo" territory, which is what doomed MK: Annihilation (along with a million other things). What made MK95 so fun and enjoyable was that the premise was essentially boiled down to "an evil wizard is having a supernatural tourney on his island." You didn't need character development for that. You didn't need to know why there's an ice ninja, a 4 armed monster or another ninja that can teleport to hell. That kind of poo poo just came with the territory. And it was fun!

MK2021 just wasn't sure which direction to go, but overall it was still really fun for me. I hope they get a sequel. I know Joe Taslim (Sub Zero) said he signed on for potentially 4 MK movies, so they must have some degree of confidence. Or maybe its four Sub Zero movies

Edit: Watch this 10 minute MK: Legacy episode of Cyrax and Sektor. It's 8 years old and still dope as poo poo. More importantly, you get the gist of the story in those 10 minutes. If MK2021 had established similar pacing, the characters would be justified.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
OutlawVern has his review. He's not a video game guy but he IS a martial arts movie guy and he thought it was pretty good. He actually like the Arcana hook, which surprised me, although he also admitted he didn't quite understand how they worked. Ah well.

https://outlawvern.com/2021/04/27/mortal-kombat-2021/

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I just wanna say, when commenting on Mk's infamous legacy of gore and violence, I've seen some folks in here saying "I haven't played MK in years, maybe I'll check out one of the new games now." The fatalities in the reboot franchise are hosed up and not enjoyable at all to me. Mortal Kombat was always cartoony - violent and offensive in the comedic style of something from the 90s. New Mortal Kombat is literally giving the fatality researchers nightmares.

Slightly off topic, but I totally agree with this. I'm in my 40s, so "my" Mortal Kombat was 1-3. My friend's 11 year old son somehow got hold of one of the newer ones as we assumed it would be the same cartoony violence we grew up with.

Jesus loving Christ...

I know that part of the problem is just me growing up and becoming the modern day version of the pearl clutchers back in the 90s who demanded the blood be turned off, but there's a vindictiveness and torture-porn feeling about the game now. I grew up watching the original nasty-as-gently caress Robocop movies so graphic violence has always been hilarious, but there's something in the tone that just sits 'wrong' with me.

Then again, if I was a kid I'd think it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen and we'd be talking in the playground about all the amazing finishing moves and competing to be the first to see the next horrific scene and calling bullshit on eachother

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 4, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Dog_Meat posted:

Slightly off topic, but I totally agree with this. I'm in my 40s, so "my" Mortal Kombat was 1-3. My friend's 11 year old son somehow got hold of one of the newer ones as we assumed it would be the same cartoony violence we grew up with.

Jesus loving Christ...

I know that part of the problem is just me growing up and becoming the modern day version of the pearl clutchers back in the 90s who demanded the blood be turned off, but there's a vindictiveness and torture-porn feeling about the game now. I grew up watching the original nasty-as-gently caress Robocop movies so graphic violence has always been hilarious, but there's something in the tone that just sits 'wrong' with me.

Then again, if I was a kid I'd think it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen and we'd be talking in the playground about all the amazing finishing moves and competing to be the first to see the next horrific scene and calling bullshit on eachother

You're right. The originals didn't have the devs studying faces of death to get accurate viscera. The old throw some gibs on the screen technique is whimsical by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

boop the snoot posted:

The opening was so good that I think it could stand alone as it’s own short film. It’s almost like it was written by completely different people.

The horror movie elements with Sub Zero were also really cool, just really underutilized.

100% the parts with Sub-Zero had some solid menace to them, the way he took Jax apart was great and his scenes with Scorpion were the best in the film. Everything else just felt like they had to get through it. One thing I thought was weird was the part where they all go back to fight 'their nemesis' Jax doesn't fight the guy who froze and broke his arms off.... ?! like c'mon man.

CGI blood also sucks apart from the frozen blood dagger which ruled. So like, if you're going to use CGI blood you may as well get stupid with it like the games always were.