Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Liar Lyre posted:

Seems like most 1 stars are just the Pokémon doing nothing, just vibing. 2 stars are feeding or bopping or using the scan to get their attention. If you don’t have a low star picture, try going back to a lower research level when they’re all still skittish.

From my experience; 1 is "Pokemon is Idle", 2 is "Pokemon is Emoting (eg; Eating/Sleeping/Startled)", 3 and 4 are special actions to trigger/find.

The trick to remember is if it involves two different pokemon (for example; the Sharpedo racing the Machamp on the beach, take photos of ALL the different pokemon as it'll count separately for each. And occasionally not the same rank either (ie; One'll be the three-star, the other the four-star).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Shwoo posted:

I think the level two Meganium area also has Comfey? I'm not sure if you have to do something, or if it was just from lighting up one of the Crystablooms in the area.

There is also Shaymin. Really hard to spot, but when Meganium stops and looks around by the tree next to the cliff, one will come running to the edge. I think meganium needs to be illuminated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone give me a hint on how to get the pokemon under the deck in the lab course?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just spent an hour on the first illumina area but i got everything there and the max rank. :shepface: but not the loving mission

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

cheetah7071 posted:

Can someone give me a hint on how to get the pokemon under the deck in the lab course?

1) wake up meowth

2)use apples to lure it over

Can anyone give me any hints about getting 3-4 star golisopods?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 2, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My one criticism of New Pokemon Snap so far is that Pokemon react to apples so slowly and you move quickly enough that 'lure things with apples' doesn't really work too well for me. Any suggestions/tips?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I found Combee and Hoothoot in the first Illumina spot which gives me four Pokemon pictures per run but leveling it is still incredibly slow, and it seems those are the only ones, at least I can't figure out anything else to do to make more appear.

I'm also not sure what the Professor's request in the nighttime park wants. It shows that mound that Pinsir digs up from and says "There's probably a Pokemon in here!" but I've taken pictures of that Pinsir and shown them to him without getting the request cleared.

At the very least I have Pidgeot fully completed, and I can get Murkrow too if I wasn't an idiot. On one run I got a three and a four star picture of Murkrow and I knew how to get the 4*, I should have showed him the 3 and gotten the 4 on another run, but idiot me chose the 4* and now I'm not entirely sure how I got the 3* so I'm having trouble getting it again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

I found Combee and Hoothoot in the first Illumina spot which gives me four Pokemon pictures per run but leveling it is still incredibly slow, and it seems those are the only ones, at least I can't figure out anything else to do to make more appear.

Look really carefully around the starting area

There's a sylveon sleeping on the ledge to the right of the starting area, barely visible in the grass

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't quite understand how expedition points are calculated. Is it only when you improve shots or get new star levels?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Leraika posted:

My one criticism of New Pokemon Snap so far is that Pokemon react to apples so slowly and you move quickly enough that 'lure things with apples' doesn't really work too well for me. Any suggestions/tips?

Quite late on, the girl will tell you that if you're facing backwards or zoomed in the cart moves more slowly.
If you can manipulate a pokemon to move into your path, the cart will stop for a bit until it gets out of the way (this happens early on as part of a route with a pokemon sitting in the path, but I also got it to happen a few times accidentally - not sure how useful it really is!)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

cheetah7071 posted:

Look really carefully around the starting area

There's a sylveon sleeping on the ledge to the right of the starting area, barely visible in the grass

I'm assuming it requires the Melody Player, right? A big thing I noticed is that most of the time the game wants you to be comforting to the Pokemon (see:feeding the Pidgeot in Lv. 3 Park (Night) to get its 4-star photo with really good Direction and Size value, plus a good Pose. This also counts for the request). On the contrary, the request that says "who or what fell out of the tree last night?" seems to require bonking a poor sleeping Arbok. At least it's a 4-star photo as you're snapping its picture.

Echophonic posted:

I don't quite understand how expedition points are calculated. Is it only when you improve shots or get new star levels?

I think you need both to count as expedition points, but I'm not sure. I just take pictures to see if it's 1) higher value than the previous one, and 2) if it counts as a 3 or 4 star maybe. I would say the "good shot" quips might not help but I'm not sure.

That said, so far I got Dodrio's page full and an idea on how to get Bidoof's other pictures. That dam has to be a 3 or a 4 star setup, isn't it. They were building it for a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

widespread posted:

I'm assuming it requires the Melody Player, right?

It does not. Sylveon is visible naturally as a splotch of pink hidden in the grass, and an Illumina orb will wake it up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Echophonic posted:

Each course has a hidden photodex score. Like, I'd you have a 5000 point 2* bidoof photo from the park at day, then in your first outing at night get a 4000 point 2* bidoof photo, that won't increase your photodex score--but it will increase your hidden night park 2* bidoof best score. Your expedition points are the sum of your best scores from that stage.

So if you're grinding it, try to submit pokemon/star combinations you haven't submitted for that stage yet, even if you have them from other stages. Otherwise, it's just trying to improve on your best photos, but that's a lot less efficient in general

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've found 3 more there. Sylveon hiding in the grass on the cliff to your right, an Eevee dancing on the Meganium while he's sleeping, and a Shaymin on the high cliff behind a tree to your left after he walks a bit. Also if you toss a bunch of illumina orbs at that cliff, you can get the Shaymin to jump on Meganium's head and ride him for a while.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

cheetah7071 posted:

Each course has a hidden photodex score. Like, I'd you have a 5000 point 2* bidoof photo from the park at day, then in your first outing at night get a 4000 point 2* bidoof photo, that won't increase your photodex score--but it will increase your hidden night park 2* bidoof best score. Your expedition points are the sum of your best scores from that stage.

So if you're grinding it, try to submit pokemon/star combinations you haven't submitted for that stage yet, even if you have them from other stages. Otherwise, it's just trying to improve on your best photos, but that's a lot less efficient in general

That makes a lot of sense based on what I was seeing, thanks!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also not sure what the Professor's request in the nighttime park wants. It shows that mound that Pinsir digs up from and says "There's probably a Pokemon in here!" but I've taken pictures of that Pinsir and shown them to him without getting the request cleared.

now I'm not entirely sure how I got the 3* so I'm having trouble getting it again.

This one's tricky

Hint: In the day-time version (at rank 3), there's another pokemon who hangs out in that area. You're trying to get that.

Guide: Throw some apples at/near the tree behind Pinsir, once you woke it up. Also spam scan. Stay zoomed in to give yourself more time. This also sets you up for another request.

Twelve by Pies posted:

now I'm not entirely sure how I got the 3* so I'm having trouble getting it again.

when they stare at you while you approach the area where you fed them for the 4*, iirc

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The fact that you can’t complete a request with a pic you already have is really bad game design. Why would I want to go through a level and snap the same photo I already have, when the idea is to get differently-ranked photos of Pokémon when you go through multiple times? I hope they patch the game so you can complete them via your photodex.

Edit: it feels like the game is almost punishing you for figuring out secrets on your first run through a level. Also a lot of them are so oddly specific that it’s really difficult to get your timing exactly perfect. Really stupid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Snap is probably the only game where the motion controls work better than the stick controls. Jeez it's just so slow to move the camera even when maxed out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Snap is probably the only game where the motion controls work better than the stick controls. Jeez it's just so slow to move the camera even when maxed out

If it helps, if you combine the left and right sticks you move it even faster. But I agree that you should use gyro aiming and slide all three to max sensitivity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ouch, I only got 600 research points on my last run of the Illumina Spot and I still have 30k to go before the level is raised. I'm not sure what to do about that. I've also apparently not figured out how to spawn Hoothoot since I haven't seen it ever since that one run where I found it. Someone also said something about another Pokemon appearing at the end of the course but I held the zoom button the whole time until Meganium walked off the edge of the cliff and nothing else spawned. Maybe that's only at research level 3? I have no idea how the hell I'll get to that though.

I like this game a lot and it's a great sequel to the original but there's just so many really stupid design decisions I can't figure out why they thought were a good idea.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ouch, I only got 600 research points on my last run of the Illumina Spot and I still have 30k to go before the level is raised. I'm not sure what to do about that. I've also apparently not figured out how to spawn Hoothoot since I haven't seen it ever since that one run where I found it. Someone also said something about another Pokemon appearing at the end of the course but I held the zoom button the whole time until Meganium walked off the edge of the cliff and nothing else spawned. Maybe that's only at research level 3? I have no idea how the hell I'll get to that though.

I like this game a lot and it's a great sequel to the original but there's just so many really stupid design decisions I can't figure out why they thought were a good idea.

So, I think it's balanced around getting all the stars on the pokemon available.

The biggest hint you need imo is to spam the radar thing to the right of where you start, and then spam it towards Meganium every single time it stops moving.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Research points are based on how much you improve your (invisible) course score, which is the sum of the best photo you've taken on that course of each pokemon/star rating combo. So submitting star ratings you've never submitted on that course can be helpful, even if it's worse than a photo you got on another course

Most of the pokemon in that stage are very well hidden, though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I probably need whatever the last item is (Pester Ball equivalent?) to get the rest of the Pokemon in the Illumina spot so I'll just leave it alone for now, since I think I've essentially snapped everything possible otherwise (except maybe 2* Hoothoot, but that alone wouldn't make much difference). I did manage to max out the night version of the Park, but the max level doesn't seem any different from the 2* version. One weird thing I have noticed is that using the scan, when you approach the Hoothoot on the signpost, the scan points to the corner of the sign and has a ??? I tried taking a photo of it, and throwing apples, but I can't figure out what that's all about yet. Park (Day) apparently reaches level 4, but I'll probably go back to the Jungle for now since I only did one run of that place.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

yeah don't worry about maxing out a course until you get all your tools

you've got two more, plus a utility thing

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Having gotten to the end credits, this game absolutely was not designed around trying to max out each course as it unlocks. You don't even get all the tools and options available until after you beat the game anyway. So just take your time and play each new course as it comes up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sometimes the level progression is kinda weird, too. Like for the volcano level, I played it once and unlocked the forest level on the second island, then once I cleared that and its Illumina Spot nothing happened. I played a bunch more levels and nothing happened. But when I went back and completed the volcano on research level 2 the professor was like “By the way…” and unlocked that level’s awful and unintuitive Illumina Spot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

that level’s awful and unintuitive Illumina Spot.

RIGHT? I really like teh idea of it, but i had to go through it once without getting anything done because i was so mesmerized by the illumina pokemon that i missed the one sentence that said what to do, and then actually doing it was so frustrating.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah, I didn’t think I would be gettin’ mad at New Pokémon Snap and swearing at the tv, but that level sucks.

And then of course the loving 4* photo I submitted was the request I got immediately after. What a terrible system!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The request system is absolutely something I'll ignore unless I accidentally get one, or once i'm done with the story I'll focus on the few that give rewards and no others.

Someone brought it up, but the apple system could deffo use some speedup. Shots are too slow, curve too much for what the high end demands.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MorningMoon posted:

The request system is absolutely something I'll ignore unless I accidentally get one, or once i'm done with the story I'll focus on the few that give rewards and no others.

Someone brought it up, but the apple system could deffo use some speedup. Shots are too slow, curve too much for what the high end demands.

Yeah, especially underwater.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I miss being able to hold down B and just machine gun apples in old pokemon snap.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I also miss how Pokemon would make a beeline for the apples when you threw them in the original instead of just standing around and not noticing them half the time, and the other half they just casually stroll up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does the jigglypuff singers get back together?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I love how I can complete each course a dozen times, only moving on when I have max researcher rank, and still somehow not have the achievement for finding every species in the second island

Game is chock full of secrets

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
New Pokemon Snap is so addicting.

Obviously it looks better than Sword and Shield but the cries sound so much better as well. Bouffalant snorts like a buffalo, Wailmer sings like a whale, Florges uhh... giggles like a woman.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hit the credits. 10 hours 40 minutes. Game had to unlock the night reef for me after the end because I was beelining too hard. Final boss I was a bit disappointed in because I hosed up real bad on one of its phases and then I still got the pictures anyway. Very excited to probably dump another 4-6 hours just loving around everywhere.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I gotta say though I am getting pretty tired of taking a picture and then getting a request for that picture afterwards. I've barely done any of the requests anyway, some of them just seem like enormous pains in the rear end like the Meganium's Pal one which I'm not 100% sure how to do (I read that it involves making the Crystabloom light up when Meganium leans down to sniff it but making sure it doesn't trigger the Illumina phenomenon, which causes it to go behind the tree instead of in front of it but the timing apparently is really difficult).

Also got a picture of Mareanie trying to chase down and eat Corsola and the professor's like "Oh looks like they're playing a friendly game of tag!" C'mon, professor. Seriously. Just because I'm a kid doesn't mean you have to lie to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait there are bosses in Snap? How does that work? Is this secretly a Fatal Frame sequel too?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait there are bosses in Snap? How does that work? Is this secretly a Fatal Frame sequel too?

Think like Mew in the original. A special pokemon you have to do something to even be able to take pictures of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes.

Kidding aside, so far in my limited playthrough, it tends to be a matter of activating the Rube Goldberg machine of the stage and Pokemon with the tools you have to accomplish some pose, albeit more complicated and more focused on one (or more) primary Pokemon throughout the stage.