Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe the 8 years in development was the exact amount of time they needed to really nail it?

Ezra Miller will be pushing 30 when this movie finally comes out. I can still remember him as the cynical but oddly helpful rich kid from Royal Pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

First look at The Eternals.

Black Panther 2 is now Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Looks like Captain Marvel 2 has been changed to The Marvels.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That implies there will be a Private and Corporal Marvel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Interesting confirmation that Fantastic 4 will be the last Phase 4 movie. RIP everyone's "Phase 4 will stealth introduce the X-men" fan theories.

Not sure what "The Marvels" is referencing? Maybe Carol + Monica?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 3, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Laughing Zealot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

First look at The Eternals.

Black Panther 2 is now Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Looks like Captain Marvel 2 has been changed to The Marvels.

Is that 4 at the end supposed to be confirmation of Fantastic 4, or just that this is phase 4? I assume Fantastic 4, but...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guardians 3 getting a date was the only good part of the video.

Free me James from Marvel. Only you can do it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

thrawn527 posted:

Is that 4 at the end supposed to be confirmation of Fantastic 4, or just that this is phase 4? I assume Fantastic 4, but...

It's the Fantastic 4 logo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's the Fantastic 4 logo.

Okay, that's what I thought.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Wasn't the S at the end the Ms. Marvel S?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Interesting confirmation that Fantastic 4 will be the last Phase 4 movie. RIP everyone's "Phase 4 will stealth introduce the X-men" fan theories.

The video didn't say anything about Phase Four specifically did it?

And some of the font is the Ms Marvel logo so it'll be those two and I guess Monica will be there too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

stev posted:

The video didn't say anything about Phase Four specifically did it?

And some of the font is the Ms Marvel logo so it'll be those two and I guess Monica will be there too.

There is one Phase 4 movie that has not been officially announced that was originally slotted for the end of 2023.

Since every other movie in that video has been announced or has a release date, then it seems very likely that the Fantastic 4 is going to be the last Phase 4 movie and they aren't teasing a Phase 5 Fantastic 4 movie.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm glad they're at least setting dates. It was starting to feel like they'd never start releasing movies again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

There is one Phase 4 movie that has not been officially announced that was originally slotted for the end of 2023.

Since every other movie in that video has been announced or has a release date, then it seems very likely that the Fantastic 4 is going to be the last Phase 4 movie and they aren't teasing a Phase 5 Fantastic 4 movie.

It low key feels like they're setting up Fantastic 4 as phase four's Avengers movie, even down to giving it to a team player they know they can count on (Russos, not Whedon).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I'm glad they're at least setting dates. It was starting to feel like they'd never start releasing movies again.

God if only

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I Before E posted:

God if only

Lol please don't start the death of theaters argument again

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol please don't start the death of theaters argument again

Why would you start the death of theaters argument again?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought that was a "death of Marvel movies" point, not death of theaters

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

True, just have that conversation still on my brain I guess.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Theaters should die though. Zack Snyder has shown us the glorious 4:3 phonewatching future. :unsmigghh:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

It was, apologies if I was unclear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MiddleOne posted:

Theaters should die though. Zack Snyder has shown us the glorious 4:3 phonewatching future. :unsmigghh:

Lol at a 4:3 shaped phone

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Official Plot Blurbs for the Phase 4 movies:

quote:

In the action-packed spy thriller Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

quote:

Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient beings who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

quote:

The sequel to Captain Marvel flies higher, further, faster with director Nia DaCosta as Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) is joined by Teyonah Parris (Monica Rambeau) and Iman Vellani (Kamala Khan).

quote:

Paul Rudd (Ant-Man) and Evangeline Lilly (Wasp) return in Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania with Kang the Conqueror, played by Jonathan Majors. Peyton Reed returns to direct the Marvel Studios film. Kathryn Newton joins the cast as Cassie Lang, while Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer return as Hope’s parents, Dr. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, respectively.

quote:

Marvel Studios’ Black Panther 2 will continue to honor the legacy of Chadwick Boseman and his portrayal of King T’Challa, and will not recast the character. Rather, the sequel will continue to explore the incomparable world of Wakanda and all of the rich and varied characters introduced in the first film. What happens when a Kingdom comes out of the shadows? Factions from within and outside of Wakanda see an opportunity.

Written and directed by Ryan Coogler, who was behind Black Panther, the film will be released on July 8, 2022.

quote:

Make way for Marvel’s First Family as Jon Watts is set to direct Fantastic Four to close out the Fourth Phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 3, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's going to be interesting to see how the compressed cycle for Phase 4 works out. Counting No Way Home, we're getting four MCU movies both this year and next up from a more typical two with optional Spider-Man and/or Avengers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how the compressed cycle for Phase 4 works out. Counting No Way Home, we're getting four MCU movies both this year and next up from a more typical two with optional Spider-Man and/or Avengers.

Most of Phase 3 was three films per year so it's not all that different. The biggest change is the massive slew of D+ shows in between the films - which will actually be relevant to the main cast and plotlines. When all is said and done Phase 4 will likely clock in at close to 100 hours of stuff to watch.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Brie larson's gonna teach a disadvantaged youth how to pilot a predator drone, gonna be great

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neurolimal posted:

Brie larson's gonna teach a disadvantaged predator drone how to code, gonna be great

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient beings who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, the Deviants.

This one is honestly super disappointing to me, for some reason I got the impression that Eternals was more space based stuff so it could be cooler environments and also more divorced from the main MCU (so you would neither have awkward questions of "where were these fuckers when Thanos invaded" and the more mundane practicalities of these guys existing on earth, and could instead dive into the high concept poo poo)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally, a movie brave enough to say what we're all thinking: we need to reunite to defeat the Deviants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope the explanation for why none of them did anything was they all failed the dice roll and got snapped

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cmon is Black Panther 2 gonna be Nakia, Okoye, or Shuri, that's all we wanna know

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They'll share the mantle

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

This one is honestly super disappointing to me, for some reason I got the impression that Eternals was more space based stuff so it could be cooler environments and also more divorced from the main MCU (so you would neither have awkward questions of "where were these fuckers when Thanos invaded" and the more mundane practicalities of these guys existing on earth, and could instead dive into the high concept poo poo)

It looks like a good chunk of it is going to take place in the cosmic realm/multiverse and be a "sort of, but not really" origin story/getting the team together sequence for the first act or two. That is just based off of a few sentences, so it could be totally wrong.

quote:

The Eternals—an immortal alien race created by the Celestials (members of the first lifeforms created in the original universe and involved in the creation of the Multiverse)— suffer an unexpected tragedy following the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019). The group must reunite to protect humanity from their evil counterparts, the Deviants.

They have just barely touched on the Celestials in Guardians of the Galaxy, but I wonder how they are going to condense their ridiculously extensive backstory for the movie (that isn't even about them).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Have a little one who is enthralled by the Lego DC adaptations - Justice League vs the Legion of Doom / Lego DC Super Hero Girls - Super Villain High etc - is there anywhere with release schedules or any kind of ‘upcoming’ rumours? Cannot find anything and it’s just a hell of different Warner Bros animation studios and rights issues - who knew a musical Toto film was being produced?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
If Eternals has some sweet scenes showing bronze age Gilgamesh in Babylon and Sumeria I will be at least somewhat satisfied.

I am really excited for that movie and I really hope they didnt water down Zhao and the Firpo brothers vision too much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It looks like a good chunk of it is going to take place in the cosmic realm/multiverse and be a "sort of, but not really" origin story/getting the team together sequence for the first act or two. That is just based off of a few sentences, so it could be totally wrong.

They have just barely touched on the Celestials in Guardians of the Galaxy, but I wonder how they are going to condense their ridiculously extensive backstory for the movie (that isn't even about them).

AHhh okay this could be cool. From the other blurb the immediate impression I got was that we would cut to these guys living in modern times, face some world ending threat that only they were inexplicably around to fight, then end with teases that they might meet the Avengere some day! If it is more cosmic or spans decades or something that could be a good twist on the formula.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

AHhh okay this could be cool. From the other blurb the immediate impression I got was that we would cut to these guys living in modern times, face some world ending threat that only they were inexplicably around to fight, then end with teases that they might meet the Avengere some day! If it is more cosmic or spans decades or something that could be a good twist on the formula.

It apparently spans "7,000 years" but there's no clue on how much of that is in what period.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Theres a cast member listed on IMDB as "Babylon villager" so they will definitely be touching on their presence in the ancient world. I dont how you have a main character named Gilgamesh and you DONT do that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is there any historical period that most people would recognize from ~5,000 B.C.? I think China and Japan are the only "major" civilizations that we have some knowledge of from that era.

Either that or a generic "stone age" or "bronze age" era civilization.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres a cast member listed on IMDB as "Babylon villager" so they will definitely be touching on their presence in the ancient world. I dont how you have a main character named Gilgamesh and you DONT do that.

The released footage seems to include a recreation of the Babylonian Ishtar Gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Is there any historical period that most people would recognize from ~5,000 B.C.? I think China and Japan are the only "major" civilizations that we have some knowledge of from that era.

Either that or a generic "stone age" or "bronze age" era civilization.

Pre-dynastic Egypt maybe.

Also Chinas bronze age started much later than Mesopotamias. Sumer, Elam and other Mesopotamian bronze age civs predate China by awhile. By the time China was starting their bronze age the Akkadian Empire(Sumer) was well into it. The indus Valley bronze age civilizations predate them even.

The somewhat recently discovered Gobekli Tepe in modern day Turkey dates to around 9000 B.C., long before we even thought humans had started becoming sedentary and non-nomadic.