Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has anybody experienced or heard about a Series X (or Series S, I guess) having a crash of nowhere problem? No overheating warnings, nothing, just a beep, my controller vibrates for a second and then a black screen and the console is completely off, while my controller flashes the Home button, like it can't find a signal. I reboot the console, no warnings about turning it off properly like a computer might do or anything like that, no corrupted data, everything's fine, like nothing happened. Very weird.

It happened twice in the first week I had it, about a month ago back to back in an hour while playing Madden 21. I figured it was a problem with Madden, uninstalled, and haven't seen anything like it since. Have had the console running for probably 100-150 hours since, lots of gameplay, but I also turned off power saving and left it idling at the home screen while I do other things a lot, just to see if it would do it again, to see if it was maybe a power supply problem but it's been fine until just now while playing Nier Automata.

The first couple times it happened the console was plugged into the same surge protector as my pc and playstation, and no other device has this problem. I moved the plug to the wall socket directly anyway, as the troubleshooting said to. And that's where it's plugged in when it just crashed now.

I know Series X's can have bad power supplies, but I figured that problem would be a lot more consistent. I've had this thing on a lot since I got it-- but could it be that random? I can probably go through customer service for a replacement just citing a power supply problem, and probably will before the year warranty is up, but, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I know of a guy whose ps5 has the same problem just poof goes off. He sent it in. PSU's can just be bad.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
As part of the Epic v Apple lawsuit, The Verge has acquired internal Microsoft documents that indicate there were or are plans to reduce Microsoft's cut on digital games to 12%, much like their announcement this week regarding the Windows 10 store.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/2/22415712/microsoft-xbox-store-cut-epic-games-court-documents

quote:

A table reveals “all games will move to 88 / 12 in CY21,” which means Microsoft had been planning a significant cut to Xbox transactions for some point in the 2021 calendar year. While Microsoft has announced its PC cut, which is also listed in the same table, the company has stayed quiet about any Xbox plans. A change to 12 percent would be significant, particularly because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all currently take 30 percent on digital game sales.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Laserface posted:

There's a difference between staying positive and whatever this is

Which is kinda baseless. There's no gameplay shown or anything. The next big shooter has to be more hot than BR is now and I don't see halo doing that.

Thanks for that bro. No poo poo. Guess no one can get excited about video games!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zerot posted:

As part of the Epic v Apple lawsuit, The Verge has acquired internal Microsoft documents that indicate there were or are plans to reduce Microsoft's cut on digital games to 12%, much like their announcement this week regarding the Windows 10 store.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/2/22415712/microsoft-xbox-store-cut-epic-games-court-documents

That's pretty sweet for devs, especially the smaller ones. It'd be a great way to encourage more indies to develop Xbox ports, and it may even get Sony and Nintendo to drop their own cuts.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zerot posted:

yeah there's been a lot of fun docs via the epic/apple trial and the attempts to seal the console side are being mostly ignored by the judge. here's some other pieces relevant to this thread that caught my eye

gaming business & platform strategy meeting may 2020, cy2019 game industry profit: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.4.pdf
- covers the competition and a lot of estimates on profit margin (take with a grain of salt)

the terms the verge are attending to reference and some more context around the slides, yellow highlight on 3rd slide was by me
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.7.pdf

to give an idea of the age of some of the documents and what their expectations were:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.21.pdf

the redactions are games not currently announced

fortnite's title licensing agreement: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.23.pdf
amendment for back-compat: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.27.pdf

e: and it should be emphasised that the xbox documents are the redacted versions that microsoft wants to make public. the judge will have the final say and i doubt most of these redactions will line up if you look at the comments re: sony and valve here: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.547.0.pdf

so we'll be getting wholesale pricing info on sony/micosoft/nintendo via this docket rather soon

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 2, 2021

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Thanks for that bro. No poo poo. Guess no one can get excited about video games!

I too am excited about Halo Infinite. Also very excited to hear news about the next Fable and also Bethesda's Starfield. I think those 3 are the games I'm most looking forward to at this time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fable 4, and Forza Motorsport are what i'm looking forward to the most from Microsoft. Halo Infinite doesn't have anything about it that looks exciting, and everything Todd Howards team at Bethesda has put out, has been really bad. Starfield is supposedly coming out before Elder Scrolls VI, but that is still years away. If I cared about Elder Scrolls, which I actually do, I would just play ESO which I currently play daily and it's a really good game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It would be incredibly loving stupid to not ensure halo infinite is fantastic before releasing at this point, so I have hope, but this is MS and 343.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Healbot posted:

Making a good Halo is not in the cards these days, the franchises time has passed.

Halo has been dying a slow death since CoD 4 came out and changed the game, which sucks because when the series is firing on all cylinders it’s fantastic.

But I agree. Without some serious innovation, mainline Halo games are just going to continue to be mediocre at best. And 343 has not shown the willingness to actually innovate so far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My assumption has been Epics goal this entire time is to bust all the walled gardens and given what we learned about their income by system they chose iOS as its the safest to give up forever if they lose the case.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I used to play the poo poo out of Rock Band with my friends back in the 360 days, haven't played Rock Band since Rock Band 3, and I want to get back into it, but the accessories appear to be so drat expensive. I bought Rock Band 4 during a sale in the last few months and have been sitting on it while I figure out what I need to play it.

so I am looking for advice on the best and/or cheapest route to go regarding the instruments and stuff. Do I need the legacy adapter (drat thing seems like it costs over $200 now on ebay). I really just want drums and to a lesser extent, guitar. I used to be ranked really high in the worldwide drum rankings on pro/expert. If I got an e-drum kit, would it be compatible or would I still need the legacy adapter?

Any advice on what I need would be much appreciated!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I used to play the poo poo out of Rock Band with my friends back in the 360 days, haven't played Rock Band since Rock Band 3, and I want to get back into it, but the accessories appear to be so drat expensive. I bought Rock Band 4 during a sale in the last few months and have been sitting on it while I figure out what I need to play it.

so I am looking for advice on the best and/or cheapest route to go regarding the instruments and stuff. Do I need the legacy adapter (drat thing seems like it costs over $200 now on ebay). I really just want drums and to a lesser extent, guitar. I used to be ranked really high in the worldwide drum rankings on pro/expert. If I got an e-drum kit, would it be compatible or would I still need the legacy adapter?

Sadly, Xbox is the worst console to just be getting back into Rock Band with. You will need the Legacy Adapter if you acquire any instruments from Rock Band 3 or earlier. You can try to buy a RB4-based kit but they are expensive, hard to come buy, and objectively worse peripherals than the equivalent kits for RB2/3. If you buy a regular e-kit, you will ALSO need the RB3 MIDI Adapter and pair it to the Legacy Adapter in order to connect it to your console. As you've seen, neither adapter is easy to find or particularly cheap.

Unless you got exceptionally lucky, it would unironically be cheaper to buy a used PS4 off craigslist, a copy the game, and any of the older Playstation-based peripherals than to try and buy the equipment you'd need for the Xbox One. I own a PS4 to play RB4 pretty much exclusively now that MLB The Show is out on Xbox, because I have a drum kit from RB2 and it was so much cheaper than trying to find an Xbox one + the required adapters.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

You need the legacy adapter to use the RB2/3 wireless instruments (and there is no legacy support for the keytar in RB4). If you're down to sing, your cheapest option will be to get a cheap usb mic that you can use for vocals, you can just plug it into the series x and use a wireless controller.

As far as your other instruments go, probably finding an RB4 guitar might be your best option? You won't need the legacy adapter for it so if those are totally unavailable or cost prohibitive then you may need to factor that in to how much you're willing to spend.

Honestly if you're in a metro area and have been able to be vaccinated or are comfortable with some indoor shopping, I'd probably check your local thrift stores/goodwills first just to see if they got a bunch of old plastic instruments dropped on them at some point.

Also if you do get your hands on a legacy adapter, be aware that it will count as a single "player" so only one profile can be signed in at a time, which sucks if you have multiple people in a household that like to play like we do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

barnold posted:

Sadly, Xbox is the worst console to just be getting back into Rock Band with. You will need the Legacy Adapter if you acquire any instruments from Rock Band 3 or earlier. If you buy an e-kit, you will ALSO need the RB3 MIDI Adapter and pair it to the Legacy Adapter in order to connect it to your console. As you've seen, neither adapter is easy to find or particularly cheap.

Unless you got exceptionally lucky, it would unironically be cheaper to buy a used PS4 off craigslist, a copy the game, and any of the older Playstation-based peripherals than to try and buy the equipment you'd need for the Xbox One. I own a PS4 to play RB4 pretty much exclusively now that MLB The Show is out on Xbox, because I have a drum kit from RB2 and it was so much cheaper than trying to find an Xbox one + the required adapters.

Yeah and this really sucks as an option if you got into the ecosystem via rb1 and have been giving harmonix dlc from day one lol

Technically speaking rb4 on the series x is pretty great, there's like no loading between songs anymore so you have to time your drinks/tokes a little more carefully.

Also if you happen upon any wireless instruments that have battery corrosion preventing them from functioning, you can actually carefully clean them out, I had to rescue two guitars that I forgot had batteries in them and sat for a couple years.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: and it should be emphasised that the xbox documents are the redacted versions that microsoft wants to make public. the judge will have the final say and i doubt most of these redactions will line up if you look at the comments re: sony and valve here: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.547.0.pdf

so we'll be getting wholesale pricing info on sony/micosoft/nintendo via this docket rather soon

That's exciting. I'm assuming most of the unredacted additions will just be typical developer guidelines/agreements that Valve and Sony prefer to keep under NDA but there might also be something juicy there.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

barnold posted:

Sadly, Xbox is the worst console to just be getting back into Rock Band with. You will need the Legacy Adapter if you acquire any instruments from Rock Band 3 or earlier. You can try to buy a RB4-based kit but they are expensive, hard to come buy, and objectively worse peripherals than the equivalent kits for RB2/3. If you buy a regular e-kit, you will ALSO need the RB3 MIDI Adapter and pair it to the Legacy Adapter in order to connect it to your console. As you've seen, neither adapter is easy to find or particularly cheap.

Yeah the issue is I have a ton of DLC for xbox from back in the day....

Doctor Nutt posted:

You need the legacy adapter to use the RB2/3 wireless instruments (and there is no legacy support for the keytar in RB4). If you're down to sing, your cheapest option will be to get a cheap usb mic that you can use for vocals, you can just plug it into the series x and use a wireless controller.

As far as your other instruments go, probably finding an RB4 guitar might be your best option? You won't need the legacy adapter for it so if those are totally unavailable or cost prohibitive then you may need to factor that in to how much you're willing to spend.

Honestly if you're in a metro area and have been able to be vaccinated or are comfortable with some indoor shopping, I'd probably check your local thrift stores/goodwills first just to see if they got a bunch of old plastic instruments dropped on them at some point.

Also if you do get your hands on a legacy adapter, be aware that it will count as a single "player" so only one profile can be signed in at a time, which sucks if you have multiple people in a household that like to play like we do.

I just moved to Detroit area, so I may check around like you said. Don't really have anyone to play with up here so the multiple profile thing is not an issue.

I really just wanna play drums again. I used to have the ION kit, used to be ranked in the top 500 worldwide on expert pro drums.

I may go the e-kit route so my drumming isn't limited to just rock band.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah and this really sucks as an option if you got into the ecosystem via rb1 and have been giving harmonix dlc from day one lol

Yup. It sucks that Harmonix hosed over the people who stuck by and supported them the longest. Then again, I don't know whether to blame Harmonix or Mad Catz/PDP, as I've heard different stories about Harmonix selling all the rights to the actual hardware to the third-party manufacturer and that's why it's so impossible to try and commission a new set of instruments. Microsoft's whole "only licensed peripherals allowed" also kinda puts a damper on crowdsourced projects for the Xbox. Sucks to think back to like 2012 when there was a glut of unsold, unwanted instruments that all got melted at a landfill somewhere lol. My local GameStops were jammed full of the things. Woulda, shoulda, coulda bought a few

Yeah the issue is I have a ton of DLC for xbox from back in the day

If you've got a lot of DLC from back in the day, you probably have a ton of songs that can no longer be purchased! :toot:

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 2, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

barnold posted:

Yup. It sucks that Harmonix hosed over the people who stuck by and supported them the longest. Then again, I don't know whether to blame Harmonix or Mad Catz/PDP, as I've heard different stories about Harmonix selling all the rights to the actual hardware to the third-party manufacturer and that's why it's so impossible to try and commission a new set of instruments. Microsoft's whole "only licensed peripherals allowed" also kinda puts a damper on crowdsourced projects for the Xbox. Sucks to think back to like 2012 when there was a glut of unsold, unwanted instruments that all got melted at a landfill somewhere lol. My local GameStops were jammed full of the things. Woulda, shoulda, coulda bought a few

If you've got a lot of DLC from back in the day, you probably have a ton of songs that can no longer be purchased! :toot:

When I recently set up my xbox 360 and redownloaded all my old rb1-2 tracks it was painful because the store is perfectly preserved and taunts you with everything you never got around to picking up, it even still has the price listed in old ms funbux.

Yeah the issue is I have a ton of DLC for xbox from back in the day....

I just moved to Detroit area, so I may check around like you said. Don't really have anyone to play with up here so the multiple profile thing is not an issue.

I really just wanna play drums again. I used to have the ION kit, used to be ranked in the top 500 worldwide on expert pro drums.

I may go the e-kit route so my drumming isn't limited to just rock band.

Honestly probably the best option for you, if you're going to have to burn some money, might as well get something out of it that's useful for more than just a rhythm game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
BTW I have a third guitar with battery corrosion so I might spend some time cleaning it up and seeing if I can repair it like I did the other two. If I can get it working I might throw it up in SA mart or something.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ErrEff posted:

That's exciting. I'm assuming most of the unredacted additions will just be typical developer guidelines/agreements that Valve and Sony prefer to keep under NDA but there might also be something juicy there.
as a rough idea here's the contract agreements provided by sony/microsoft/nintendo and you can see the large difference of opinion each has to what should be redacted:
microsoft: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.23.pdf
nintendo: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.554.1.pdf
sony: they asked for the entire document to be sealed
valve: request to seal all as well

the judge's comments on the requests to seal are really telling so i'll quote a couple of examples to give you an idea of the judge's mindset of what's relevant:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.547.0.pdf

judge effectively is saying any nda'ed contract should be public in this case, which is a strange consideration tbh. then again the judge is pulling in non-parties to the case at apple's request and having them create reams of sensitive commercial data on developers who work with them that would otherwise not exist, really strange case all around. as an example valve (non-party) was told to generate pricing history covers 4-5 years for every title and give revenue splits for every discount/sale period per title - the size of that request is comical

e: here's valve's response to the subpoena for an idea of how extremely broad the requests were https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.346.2_2.pdf

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 2, 2021

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

barnold posted:

397 DLC tracks. :drat:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lol, I saw those. "It's not at all clear why you would do this"

Probably over half of the Nintendo document has also been blanked out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Go back to RB3. Learn how to play customs if you don't care about online or leaderboards.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Look into clone hero, it incorporates every guitar game. Pc only though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1388944849953492995?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

current rumour is that STALKER 2 is only Xbox console exclusive for 3 months

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think it's a rumor. The deal with Microsoft is for 3 months of console exclusivity. It's unknown if a PlayStation version is currently in development.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's going to be on PC gamepass, right?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

to give an idea of the age of some of the documents and what their expectations were:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364265/gov.uscourts.cand.364265.551.21.pdf

Interesting how Halo Infinite was not considered a game that was at risk of missing the intended date at the time of this document's creation, while they correctly predicted Medium and Outriders and those delays weren't too bad. It must have been really close to having a finished version ready that they decided to just pull and completely revamp.

Also apparently Medium was supposed to have a XB1 version.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I have been let down by the previous 2 halo titles in the main series, 4 and 5. I have seen the bullshit pulled by Watch Dogs and Cyberpunk 2077. Getting excited for not yet released video games is all round a bad idea if you want to stand any chance of enjoying it when it comes out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I haven’t been excited for a Halo game since ODST. Still not. But man it would be nice if they came out swinging with Infinite. I’m sure they’re doing their damndest to make something special.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Speaking of which, I'm playing Halo CE Anniversary via the MCC for the first time and am I ever glad that's not my first experience with that game. I loved the mystery of the Halo ring when I first played it back in 2001 and the CE Anniversary edition straight up shows you the forerunners and 343 guilty spark in a video terminal shortly after you first get the warthog. I'm assuming the flood get introduced in a terminal before you get to the swamp level too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Speaking of which, I'm playing Halo CE Anniversary via the MCC for the first time and am I ever glad that's not my first experience with that game. I loved the mystery of the Halo ring when I first played it back in 2001 and the CE Anniversary edition straight up shows you the forerunners and 343 guilty spark in a video terminal shortly after you first get the warthog. I'm assuming the flood get introduced in a terminal before you get to the swamp level too.
The terminals are only visible in remastered graphics mode, thankfully, so you never have to see them unless you like the weird semi-competent remastered graphics.

Anyway! New Game Pass poo poo:

COMING:
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Console and PC) – May 4
FIFA 21 (Console and PC) EA Play – May 6
Outlast 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC) – May 6
Steep (Cloud and Console) – May 6
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Console and PC) – May 13
Just Cause 4: Reloaded (Cloud, Console, and PC) – May 13
Psychonauts (Cloud, Console, and PC) – May 13
Red Dead Online (Cloud and Console) – May 13
Remnant: From the Ashes (PC) – May 13

GOING (ALL MAY 15):
Alan Wake (Console and PC)
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 (PC)
Dungeon of the Endless (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Final Fantasy IX (Console and PC)
Hotline Miami (PC)
Plebby Quest: The Crusades (PC)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I would really like to know if Shadow of War is going to be FPS boosted, I would like that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Kins posted:

GOING (ALL MAY 15):
Alan Wake (Console and PC)
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 (PC)
Dungeon of the Endless (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Final Fantasy IX (Console and PC)
Hotline Miami (PC)
Plebby Quest: The Crusades (PC)

Having never played any of these, which ones are recommended to spend the next 12 days on?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Does MS not actually own Alan Wake?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Does MS not actually own Alan Wake?
Remedy re-acquired the rights in 2019.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

Getting excited for not yet released video games is all round a bad idea if you want to stand any chance of enjoying it when it comes out.

It’s hard not to get pumped over stuff that looks cool, but you’re not wrong. AAA releases have been more misses than hits during the Xbone/PS4 generation.

What tentpole releases didn’t fall short? Off the top of my head, Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, God of War? Most stuff was either mediocre like CoD and Halo or downright lovely like Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePassPC/status/1389210634504581127?s=19

Sweet, good thing I didn't buy X/X-2 lol. Still got a long way to go in VII tho.