Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

NieR: Automata - Just purchased, haven't started yet

Forgot to tell you: the opening sequence/level for Automata is long (like 45 mins?), you can't save during it, and if you die you go back to the start because :yokotaro:

There is no shame in starting the game on easy then swapping to normal once you have access to saving (the game will yell at you about this, can't miss it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Edmond Dantes posted:

Forgot to tell you: the opening sequence/level for Automata is long (like 45 mins?), you can't save during it, and if you die you go back to the start because :yokotaro:

There is no shame in starting the game on easy then swapping to normal once you have access to saving (the game will yell at you about this, can't miss it).

Also, after the tutorial, you will pretty much always have save points or checkpoints nearby, so this long of fuckyounosave stretch is only for the tutorial. :yokotaro:

Great game, high recommend, but you gotta know this dick move

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's just to teach you that the game doesn't have autosave.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

The beginning of the game is also incredibly easy and a long tutorial so you don't really have anything to worry about

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got juggled for like 75 percent of my health bar by the boss at the end and had to redo it all. Completely unexpected after how the rest of the intro was.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s interesting because I see it as a game that’s both extremely excellent and extremely overrated at the same time.

That sums up my exact feelings on Disco Elysium and I say that as someone who positively loves it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I got juggled for like 75 percent of my health bar by the boss at the end and had to redo it all. Completely unexpected after how the rest of the intro was.

You can spam the dodge button.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

That sums up my exact feelings on Disco Elysium and I say that as someone who positively loves it.

wtf does overrated mean? "oh no, people like it more than they should"

Orv
May 4, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

wtf does overrated mean? "oh no, people like it more than they should"

In gaming circles if people really like a game they tend to proselytize it like it's the second coming, even if it's just Extremely Good. Every once and a while a game comes along - Undertale, Disco Elysium, probably others that I forget, Witcher 3 maybe? - that people push so hard and act like you're insane for not playing it that it's kind of off-putting. I think that's what most people have been saying about DE here. It's a very, very good game merely by having actual writing instead of video game writing but people definitely went berserk for it for a while there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Disco Elysium has very poor gunfeel imho

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

i tried to shoot Cunoesse but the dice said no

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

In gaming circles if people really like a game they tend to proselytize it like it's the second coming, even if it's just Extremely Good. Every once and a while a game comes along - Undertale, Disco Elysium, probably others that I forget, Witcher 3 maybe? - that people push so hard and act like you're insane for not playing it that it's kind of off-putting. I think that's what most people have been saying about DE here. It's a very, very good game merely by having actual writing instead of video game writing but people definitely went berserk for it for a while there.

Other examples include Nier, Hades, FO:NV, Prey, etc etc...

It's a meaningless and undefinable label that you can slap on anything to be Cool and Smart

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

In this essay I will

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Opinions are subjective, obviously, of course overrated is going to be term that varies. All it means is “this did not live up to what I saw other people saying about it”. Though it’s a bit odd, since there’s games people love that I can’t stand that I don’t think are overrated. Bloodborne comes to mind. I don’t like it at all but I can understand why people love it. It helps that it didn’t have a contingent of people saying other games hosed up by not being exactly like it; unlike the “RPGs shouldn’t have combat, look at disco elysium” people.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Orv posted:

But we need those zealots to balance out the nerds who put 30 minutes into a game and declare it "the worst game ever".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disco Elysium is like a point and click adventure game right

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

zoux posted:

Disco Elysium is like a point and click adventure game right
Kinda, if you replace all the puzzles with more dialogue.

Honestly, it's more like Planescape:Torment if you took out all the combat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

Planescape:Torment if you took out all the combat.

And replaced it with CSPAM.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's like Dark Souls but without the dark and the souls

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nah, I did say the writing was self-aware.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I dropped and refunded Disco Elysium after I noted how "lol-random spork" type the humour in the game was. I was basically done after I accidentally flew through the room to hit wheelchair bound woman after failing skill check.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda, if you replace all the puzzles with more dialogue.

Honestly, it's more like Planescape:Torment if you took out all the combat.

So it's a visual novel?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

zoux posted:

So it's a visual novel?
I was about to say that it could probably technically fit into that category, but there is actually a game wrapped around all the dialogue and writing, so no.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Point-and-click adventure RPG is probably the most accurate descriptor of Disco Elysium. The Planescape influence is in the tone and presentation, but the gameplay shares basically nothing in common. "Planescape without the combat" doesn't really describe anything in particular since Planescape is a D&D game and pretty much the entire structure of the game revolves around combat.

zoux posted:

So it's a visual novel?
No, visual novels are a very specific genre (e.g. Phoenix Wright) and Disco Elysium is not it. It's a "visual" "novel" in the sense that every game is a "role" "playing" "game".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kin posted:

I've just finished the main game of Lego Marvel 2 and i dunno if I'm in the minority or not but it just feels like these games have so much bloat now.

I'm all for new content and stuff but now I'm in the post-game, i figured I'd get all the "cheat" blocks but, apparently, these are now locked behind missions which are in turn locked behind unlocking certain characters which in turn are locked behind doing special missions in different areas of the world map.

Also to make things worse you have to manually open up the world map each time you wanna see or set a marker for something on your minimap.

I always found the slow tick towards collecting everything in these games satisfying but the hoop-jumping just feels offputting now.

Do all of the newer lego games (like DC villains) follow this same pattern or is it just the marvel ones?

Double-check, I haven't played LM2 yet but I know the last one I did (Batman 3) still allowed for entering cheats in the options menu to unlock some of the hidden blocks if you just wanna kick-start that process. I would usually toss on a multiplier and that let me snowball my way into the rest of the goals.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Gripper posted:

But we need those zealots to balance out the nerds who put 30 minutes into a game and declare it "the worst game ever".

Banemaster posted:

I dropped and refunded Disco Elysium after I noted how "lol-random spork" type the humour in the game was. I was basically done after I accidentally flew through the room to hit wheelchair bound woman after failing skill check.

:hmbol:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

zoux posted:

So it's a visual novel?

It's a visual novel that masquerades as old-school adventure game that masquerades as old-school RPG.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's a visual novel that masquerades as old-school adventure game that masquerades as old-school RPG.

Eh, if it was OSRPG you'd die from falling checks more often than not, failing forward is a somewhat contemporary design.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Banemaster posted:

Hahaha, my first try resulted in this as well. Kind of underlined the fact that I was a hungover pantsless dude causing a public scene. In fact most of my interactions in that game could be summarized as public disturbance.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Disco Elysium is a game where you play a man desperately trying to do his job despite his brain being a whirling nightmare.

So you know, Tuesday.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZearothK posted:

Eh, if it was OSRPG you'd die from falling checks more often than not.

That actually does happen if you're not careful and are lacking healing items.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Check failed, massively owned by chav child

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I haven't finished Disco Elysium but it's great so far. I haven't felt like I was dealing with characters this rich in a while. If I goof up and make Kim sigh in embarrassment, I feel bad.

The constant internal monologue skill checks are great too. It's goony in a way that it's a game about being inside your own head, but not goony in that it's a lot about other people's feelings.

Also it's great for my wife because this new edition is almost 100% voice acted so she can follow along casually without having me read everything. She also loves Cuno.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

END ME SCOOB posted:

Double-check, I haven't played LM2 yet but I know the last one I did (Batman 3) still allowed for entering cheats in the options menu to unlock some of the hidden blocks if you just wanna kick-start that process. I would usually toss on a multiplier and that let me snowball my way into the rest of the goals.

I didn't find DC villains had any real bloat that I noticed, I was having a blast the whole time. Custom characters helps cuz you can just slap the abilities you need on your custom guys if you haven't unlocked someone - that said, you unlock everyone really fast, or at least everyone you need.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
For me DE was great because it actually evoked feelings which pretty much no video game does, which goes a long way. If there were a dozen other games like it then a lot of the praise and shine might wear off over time like the high praise of Bioshock Infinite or whatever, but there isn't much else like it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Not really, you play as a cop and we all know in cspam....

Oh, carry on then

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Leal posted:

Not really, you play as a cop and we all know in cspam....

Oh, carry on then

Lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Opinions are subjective, obviously, of course overrated is going to be term that varies. All it means is “this did not live up to what I saw other people saying about it”. Though it’s a bit odd, since there’s games people love that I can’t stand that I don’t think are overrated. Bloodborne comes to mind. I don’t like it at all but I can understand why people love it. It helps that it didn’t have a contingent of people saying other games hosed up by not being exactly like it; unlike the “RPGs shouldn’t have combat, look at disco elysium” people.

There are still people who insist that any action rpg that doesn't play like Dark Souls is badly designed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Banemaster posted:

So you chose to run away from paying rent and damages and was annoyed when the obvious failure consequence took place?

Volte posted:

Point-and-click adventure RPG is probably the most accurate descriptor of Disco Elysium. The Planescape influence is in the tone and presentation, but the gameplay shares basically nothing in common. "Planescape without the combat" doesn't really describe anything in particular since Planescape is a D&D game and pretty much the entire structure of the game revolves around combat.

No, visual novels are a very specific genre (e.g. Phoenix Wright) and Disco Elysium is not it. It's a "visual" "novel" in the sense that every game is a "role" "playing" "game".

People don’t agree that Ace Attorney is a VN. Traditionalists would reserve that for titles like House in Fata Morgana. Even some of the most beloved titles in the genre technically are not - the When They Cry series (Higurashi, Umineko, Ciconia) as they lack choices and are called Kinetic Novels. I think one of them actually has exactly one choice though. I’ve also heard them called Sound Novels?

Point is genre is ill defined at the best of times. Disco Elysium is a CRPG Point and Click Visual Novel Doom Clone Third Person Shooter Walking Simulator Psychological Horror Turn Based Strategy Singleplayer MOBA Roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So you chose to run away from paying rent and damages and was annoyed when the obvious failure consequence took place?

It's even a great example of how you "fail-forward" in the game - sure it's embarrassing and a bit silly, but the lady you hit is barely injured and far more worried about you than herself, and the owner who is a dick is worried that someone got hurt in his shop and it will make him look bad so he knocks off a good chunk of the bill you owe him. Sure Kim thinks you're even more of a weirdo but that's hardly even a negative.