Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

corn haver posted:

fine. the next big autonomous car is going to use a battery of trained pigeons for control instead of ai and sensor arrays. it's designed so you just throw out the pigeon unit after the included food and water are consumed and replace it at a gas station. mass pigeon rearing becomes the new crypto mining. there's dumpsters of stinking dead pigeons everywhere

Seems like it'd be easier to just use rats.

https://twitter.com/perkoch/status/1337143320435417088?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hell yeah rat racers

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

:hmmyes: now thats pigeonpunk

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1388663945054011396?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I'd rather have a ratcar than a Tesla, at least I can eat the spare cheese in case of a soon to be fatal accident

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Said by someone who has never experienced the sublime joy of hotrodding a golf cart

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone posted this bullshit yet?

quote:

Amazon Cyber Robotics Challenge
Can you code an Amazon Hercules robot to deliver your friend’s birthday present on time?

Bring real-world industry to your classroom this fall! In this free, three-hour virtual learning experience student learn the basics of computer science while uncovering the miraculous ways goods are delivered at Amazon.
Along the way, students will hear two Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship winners share a bit about their own personal journeys into computer science.

Amazon Future Engineer is providing free access to CoderZ’s virtual robotics learning modules to Title 1 schools. Now, coding adventures can go on. Keep students connected to virtual robotics and each other with CoderZ’s highly flexible, engaging, and entirely web-based curriculum.
Click here to find out if your school is eligible.

https://gocoderz.com/amazon-cyber-robotics-challenge/

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 01:51 on May 3, 2021

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/nation-world/apples-app-store-faces-legal-threat-from-epic-games/507-ebd6fa94-d411-4579-a055-3c36047008f1

quote:

On Monday, Apple faces one of its most serious legal threats in recent years: A trial that threatens to upend its iron control over its app store, which brings in billions of dollars each year while feeding more than 1.6 billion iPhones, iPads, and other devices.

The federal court case is being brought by Epic Games, maker of the popular video game Fortnite. Epic wants to topple the so-called “walled garden” of the app store, which Apple started building 13 years ago as part of a strategy masterminded by co-founder Steve Jobs.

Epic charges that Apple has transformed a once-tiny digital storefront into an illegal monopoly that squeezes mobile apps for a significant slice of their earnings. Apple takes a commission of 15% to 30% on purchases made within apps, including everything from digital items in games to subscriptions. Apple denies Epic’s charge.

Apple's highly successful formula has helped turn the iPhone maker into one of the world’s most profitable companies, one with a market value that now tops $2.2 trillion.

Privately held Epic is puny by comparison, with an estimated market value of $30 billion. Its aspirations to get bigger hinge in part on its plan to offer an alternative app store on the iPhone. The North Carolina company also wants to break free of Apple’s commissions. Epic says it forked over hundreds of millions of dollars to Apple before Fornite was expelled from its app store last August, after Epic added a payment system that bypassed Apple.

Epic then sued Apple, prompting a courtroom drama that could shed new light on Apple's management of its app store. Both Apple CEO Tim Cook and Epic CEO Tim Sweeney will testify in a Oakland, California federal courtroom that will be set up to allow for social distancing and will require masks at all times.

Neither side wanted a jury trial, leaving the decision to U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, who already seems to know her ruling will probably be appealed, given the stakes in the case.

Much of the evidence will revolve around arcane but crucial arguments about market definitions.

Epic contends the iPhone has become so ingrained in society that the device and its ecosystem have turned into a monopoly Apple can exploit to unfairly enrich itself and thwart competition.

Apple claims it faces significant competition from various alternatives to video games on iPhones. For instance, it points out that about 2 billion other smartphones don't run iPhone software or work with its app store — primarily those relying on Google’s Android system. Epic has filed a separate case against Google, accusing it of illegally gouging apps through its own app store for Android devices.

Apple will also depict Epic as a desperate company hungry for sources of revenue beyond the aging Fortnite. It claims Epic merely wants to freeload off an iPhone ecosystem in which Apple has invested more than $100 billion over the past 15 years.

Estimates of Apple's app store revenue range from $15 billion to $18 billion annually. Apple disputes those estimates, although it hasn’t publicly disclosed its own figures. Instead, it has emphasized that it doesn’t collect a cent from 85% of the apps in its store.

The commissions it pockets, Apple says, are a reasonable way for the company to recoup its investment while financing an app review process it calls essential to preserving the security of apps and their users. About 40% of the roughly 100,000 apps submitted for review each week are rejected for some sort of problem, according to Kyle Andeer, Apple’s chief compliance officer.

Epic will try to prove that Apple uses the security issue to disguise its true motivation — maintaining a monopoly that wrings more profits from app makers who can’t afford not to be available on the iPhone.

But the smaller company may face an uphill battle. Last fall, the judge expressed some skepticism in court before denying Epic’s request to reinstate Fortnite on Apple's app store pending the outcome of the trial. At that time, Gonzalez Rogers asserted that Epic’s claims were “at the frontier edges of antitrust law.”

The trial is expected to last most of May, with a decision to come in the ensuing weeks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

epic is going to get wrecked and it’s going to be hilarious

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

tencent of China owns 40% of epic. I’m no legal scholar but this might be important considering the president of America’s remarks the other night.

quote:

We’re in a competition with China and other countries to win the 21st Century.
. . .
The investments I’ve proposed tonight also advance a foreign policy that benefits the middle class.

That means making sure every nation plays by the same rules in the global economy, including China.

In my discussion with President Xi, I told him that we welcome the competition – and that we are not looking for conflict.

But I made absolutely clear that I will defend American interests across the board.

America will stand up to unfair trade practices that undercut American workers and industries, like subsidies for state-owned enterprises and the theft of American technologies and intellectual property.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hobbesmaster posted:

lot less work for them to just expand eligibility of their new 15% tier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duz posted:

lot less work for them to just expand eligibility of their new 15% tier

epic won’t settle for that, they’re actually after Sony/Microsoft because a console with an App Store is exactly the same thing. epic sued the platform they make the least money on to create precedent without pissing off sony/ms/Nintendo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fortnite revenue is like 58% just from ps4.

tim sweeney planning on tearing up the whole console market

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

warhammer kart lookin' good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1389013062611464196?s=19

Gaia online but idiot tech bros speaking like LinkedIn bots

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

i hope they win and i can start publishing my own Nintendo Switch games :getin:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't think Apple/Sony/etc do a good enough job for a 30% cut but I'd also bet that third party stores would get way shittier.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is it not possible to install an app on an iphone without using the App Store? If it isn't possible, then I don't see how Apple wins because Microsoft got nailed so hard for that same thing it got Balmer to cry Developers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

human garbage bag posted:

Is it not possible to install an app on an iphone without using the App Store? If it isn't possible, then I don't see how Apple wins because Microsoft got nailed so hard for that same thing it got Balmer to cry Developers.

Apple's argument is "if people didn't voluntarily want that, they'd buy an Android!"

Coincidentally, Google's argument (though so far install-your-own is hidden behind an increasingly scary series of confirmation dialogs) is "if people didn't voluntarily want that, they'd buy an iPhone!"

Epic's name sounds stupid and Apple is both rich and probably a foundational portion of the judge's retirement savings, so Apple will likely win.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Anyone who isn’t completely technologically incompetent and knows how to use Google can figure out how to sideload android apps.

iPhone definetly locks you in to its ecosystem in a way that other platforms don’t

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mandoric posted:

Coincidentally, Google's argument (though so far install-your-own is hidden behind an increasingly scary series of confirmation dialogs)

There's a reason that those dialogs continue to get increasingly scary. There are far more people who will get some malware to guide them through doing this to install some other kind of malware, than there are legitimate users of this.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

can you IMAGINE the state our parents and grandparents iPhones and iPads would be in if you could download any old app on a whim?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My dad's previous android phone came with a preinstalled tv remote app that at some point sold out and became malware garbage that would download other apps (or maybe just trick the user into doing it with constant popups idk.)

That one was fun to try to figure out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smellmycheese posted:

can you IMAGINE the state our parents and grandparents iPhones and iPads would be in if you could download any old app on a whim?

Chinese buttcoin botnet locked in a constant battle for resources with Russian microphone hijacker

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Bloop posted:

Chinese buttcoin botnet locked in a constant battle for resources with Russian microphone hijacker

I for one thank Tim Apple for not having to spend an hour unfucking my mums iPad every time I visit. Let him have his walled garden if it saves me that poo poo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Epic's name is stupid but if they win it's good for smaller developers and fucks up a bunch of really dumb hosed up things about software development, plus it's probably got some negative implications for the three letter agencies, so I wish them the best.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, they're both big, lovely companies but Epic winning the case is better for people who aren't big, lovely companies so go them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't think Apple/Sony/etc do a good enough job for a 30% cut but I'd also bet that third party stores would get way shittier.

i dont know, steam takes 30% and is full of an incredible amount of lovely poo poo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I don't think Valve does any gatekeeping for steam at all. They just wait for people to report poo poo and then they kick it out. Speaking of, they're being sued by the company that owns Humble Bundle for being a monopoly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
how can steam be a monopoly when thepiratebay.org has a much wider selection of games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if nintendo couldnt make 30% off of just dance every year they would freak the gently caress out

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Peanut President posted:

I don't think Valve does any gatekeeping for steam at all. They just wait for people to report poo poo and then they kick it out. Speaking of, they're being sued by the company that owns Humble Bundle for being a monopoly.

right, they are full of poo poo from doing no gatekeeping but they are still taking the 30% they charged when they used to gate keep

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kill steam so that new games can be mail order only and a dumptruck of floppy disks shows up burying your house with the new cod

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Use hamsters instead of rats for the power source. I heard a piece on the BBC about how someone figured out how many hamsters in wheels it would take to power London. 9 billion at the same time. Of course, they couldn't run 24/7 (although it seems like it), so you should probably triple that number.

For a car, figure around 40,000 running at the same time. Sounds doable.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

smellmycheese posted:

I for one thank Tim Apple for not having to spend an hour unfucking my mums iPad every time I visit. Let him have his walled garden if it saves me that poo poo

what if your mum wants to play fortnite on her iPad?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of, they're being sued by the company that owns Humble Bundle for being a monopoly.

The funny thing about this is that Steam wouldn't be a monopoly if their competitors could pull their heads outta their asses for five whole minutes. There is so much about Steam that's janky and broken. A new platform with better service, curation, and features could eat their whole lunch.

But the only people who've stepped up to offer an alternative (Origin, Epic Game Store, etc.) have managed to do an even worse job at it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skippy McPants posted:

The funny thing about this is that Steam wouldn't be a monopoly if their competitors could pull their heads outta their asses for five whole minutes. There is so much about Steam that's janky and broken. A new platform with better service, curation, and features could eat their whole lunch.

But the only people who've stepped up to offer an alternative (Origin, Epic Game Store, etc.) have managed to do an even worse job at it.

yeah, steam might be janky and broken but if you've been using it since half life 2, you have close to two decades worth of games on it. that's a feature that's hard to reproduce no matter how good your client is.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

that's because the old saying "you have to spend money to make money" isn't even remotely true anymore. so they just have to slap together something that has enough gloss to it that it passes at first glance for something good. and by the time it collapses in flames, someone will have earned a whole lot of money.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cloks posted:

yeah, steam might be janky and broken but if you've been using it since half life 2, you have close to two decades worth of games on it. that's a feature that's hard to reproduce no matter how good your client is.

Oh sure, and I'm not discounting how much that legacy is worth in an arena where continuity is a major concern. I'm just saying that Steam has a lot of weaknesses that a competitor could leverage, but somehow they've manged to be worse than Steam on a lot of those issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

still hilarious that you can only buy one thing at a time on epic