Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

wheatpuppy posted:

Double post! Could this be The Boy Who had the Power by Jean Sutton and Jeff Sutton?
'He regarded the relk sorrowfully . Krant pulled the animal up short and barked , “ Bring in the gran . They go to market tomorrow . ” “ Tomorrow ? ” Jedro was appalled . “ I can ' t get them there that soon . "'

Sure sounds like it! Thanks much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I found it! It was none of your suggestions, but they helped knock some memories loose and I managed to wrangle a result from google: The Fade, by Chris Wooding :monocle:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

That first one is The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen.
Completely it. Thanks!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Biplane posted:

that's not it, even though it ticked like, all the boxes. the one I'm thinking of is pretty dark as I recall and definitely not written for children. But I appreciate the effort!

Metro?

E:oop, there's another page here

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember reading a pop-science book about 10-12 years ago where it had various chapters on scientific concepts, written at about a year 11-12 level. One of the chapters was called something like "The incredibly unlikely triple-alpha process", speaking about how we got carbon inside stars. I think the book had a pink cover. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Memento posted:

I remember reading a pop-science book about 10-12 years ago where it had various chapters on scientific concepts, written at about a year 11-12 level. One of the chapters was called something like "The incredibly unlikely triple-alpha process", speaking about how we got carbon inside stars. I think the book had a pink cover. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Poking around Google Books I think this is The Matchbox That Ate a Forty-Ton Truck by Marcus Chown which has a pink cover and a chapter called "You, Me, and the Spectacularly Unlikely Triple-Alpha Process".

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 28, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wizzardstaff posted:

Poking around Google Books I think this is The Matchbox That Ate a Forty-Ton Truck by Marcus Chown which has a pink cover and a chapter called "You, Me, and the Spectacularly Unlikely Triple-Alpha Process".

Nailed it, thank you very much!

edit: huh, that's one of the chapters in the book, but the title I know it by is actually We Need To Talk About Kelvin, which is how it was released outside the USA.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 28, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Memento posted:

edit: huh, that's one of the chapters in the book, but the title I know it by is actually We Need To Talk About Kelvin, which is how it was released outside the USA.

:stare:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Memento posted:

I want so badly for this to be true

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

regulargonzalez posted:

I want so badly for this to be true

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's in such bad taste that it's exquisite

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I remember reading a book about 15-20 years ago that I have had a lot of trouble finding. I think it was in the wake of Dan Browns popularity boom. What I remember is that there was some woman (paleontologist/historian/archeologist/something or other) who meets a man who she travels with, for some reason. I think he teaches her some stick fighting martial art (Kali maybe). The Bad guy is a rich guy that gets eaten by a tiger in the end, due to his own hubris. There is maybe a pyramid involved? This is almost impossible to Google since I have such vague details and I don't know anyone else that read it. Anyone have any ideas?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Could it be one of the Andy McDermott "Wilde/Chase" series? The woman is some kind of archeologist, the man is ex-SAS, and there's one called The Pyramid of Doom. I haven't read it but I recall the author (who nay have been a goon?) was fond of gruesome deaths for the bad guys.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yes, he is/was a goon. Always hilarious to me to go to Walmart and see a book written by one of us. Almost feels like I should get a sa discount or something.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Holy poo poo I think that may be it! Thanks!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Looking for a time travel novel wherein the protagonist could travel back in time but never to the same place twice. I think the guy was trying to save his wife maybe? I think was from the 90s.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looking for a time travel novel wherein the protagonist could travel back in time but never to the same place twice. I think the guy was trying to save his wife maybe? I think was from the 90s.
All You Zombies by Robert Heinlein?

It got made into a film called Predestination, which is probably one of the better examples of a science fiction book getting turned into a movie.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh boy no progress on this one?

Do I have to add this? there is a super gross fetish-esqe bit where the Chinese War Lord smugly shows off asking one of his concubines to pee in front of everyone for entertainment.

Probably not it but this sounds a little like a Phillip Pullman book I remember reading ages ago. Except I think they were all set in England.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Time Travellers Wife? He couldn't control where or when he goes, but he could go both forward and backward in time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

froglet posted:

The Time Travellers Wife? He couldn't control where or when he goes, but he could go both forward and backward in time.

that book is an ouroboros of grooming & works super hard to make it acceptable :barf:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The best part about that book is the daily show interview with the lady who plays the wife in the movie. Jon is just asking her all this spoiler laden questions and she's just telling him everything, and he finally just goes "YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL US THAT!". She's adorable.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Mister Kingdom posted:

This one is forward in time, not back, but otherwise sounds kind of like Dean Koontz's Lightning?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zack Ater posted:

This one is forward in time, not back, but otherwise sounds kind of like Dean Koontz's Lightning?

Also forward in time is Charles Sheffield's Tomorrow and Tomorrow

It hits the saving his wife theme, and its from the 90s too

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zack Ater posted:

That's the one. Thanks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

All You Zombies by Robert Heinlein?

It got made into a film called Predestination, which is probably one of the better examples of a science fiction book getting turned into a movie.

The entire conceit of All You Zombies is that the protagonist can visit the same time more than once...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hughlander posted:

The entire conceit of All You Zombies is that the protagonist can visit the same time more than once...
Clearly it's been too long since I read it, since I must've been mixing it up with something else then. Sorry. :(

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

There was a book I read as a kid and everything about it except for a vague outline of the plot completely escapes me now.

The story, from what I remember, was about a guy living in the real world in contemporary times who gets transported to a magical fantasy world. In the fantasy world he is a super hot, super buff, super capable warrior. Also he is now a woman. And the fantasy world is incredibly misogynistic.

The only specific detail I recall is that when the protagonist gets transported they arrive at a stone circle. There are a bunch of people there because they are waiting for the foretold chosen one to appear but of course they aren't expecting the chosen one to be a woman.

That's all I got. I would have been about 12 when I read it and I was reading a really old, ratty, second hand copy so likely the book came out in the 80s sometime. Also it was written by an established author because the only reason I picked it up was because I recognized the author. Cant remember who though.

It really nagged at me at the time because despite obviously being the first book in a series I could never find out if any other books existed. It didnt even appear under the author's list of published works. The memory of it popped into my head today and of course a quick search would answer that question in 5 seconds, if only I could remember what book it was.

Attempts at googling just lead to thousands of entries of gender transformation erotica. 12 year old me was pretty dense but I would still probably have realised if I was reading erotica.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Random Integer posted:

There was a book I read as a kid and everything about it except for a vague outline of the plot completely escapes me now.

The story, from what I remember, was about a guy living in the real world in contemporary times who gets transported to a magical fantasy world. In the fantasy world he is a super hot, super buff, super capable warrior. Also he is now a woman. And the fantasy world is incredibly misogynistic.

The only specific detail I recall is that when the protagonist gets transported they arrive at a stone circle. There are a bunch of people there because they are waiting for the foretold chosen one to appear but of course they aren't expecting the chosen one to be a woman.

That's all I got. I would have been about 12 when I read it and I was reading a really old, ratty, second hand copy so likely the book came out in the 80s sometime. Also it was written by an established author because the only reason I picked it up was because I recognized the author. Cant remember who though.

It really nagged at me at the time because despite obviously being the first book in a series I could never find out if any other books existed. It didnt even appear under the author's list of published works. The memory of it popped into my head today and of course a quick search would answer that question in 5 seconds, if only I could remember what book it was.

Attempts at googling just lead to thousands of entries of gender transformation erotica. 12 year old me was pretty dense but I would still probably have realised if I was reading erotica.

I couldn't tell you the specific book, but start looking at works by Jack L. Chalker - portal fantasy plus involuntary transformation was kind of his thing, and the God's honest truth is you probably were reading his stroke fantasy.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Random Integer posted:

The Wonderland Gambit? The first book is called The Cybernetic Walrus. Anything involving transformations sounds like Jack Chalker. What a guy.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Random Integer posted:

One of the Gor books by John Norman? As Jack Chalker is to transformation so John Norman is to misogyny...

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

It was somebody talking about Chalker in another thread that brought it back to my mind but it's not him. Nothing in his biblio looks like what I remember.

I feel like it was a very generic, mainstream mid 90s fantasy author because it was somebody I had read before and that's all I read at the time.

Googling around has revealed to me that apparently 'get transported to a fantasy world/transformed into a hero' is a common trope so my memory might just be conflating the plots of several different books.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Random Integer posted:

This sounds like a Clive Barker book to me.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I really enjoyed some of Chalker’s work, especially the Four Lords of the Diamond stuff. And, I don’t know what exactly goes on in people’s heads but you gotta wonder if ol Jack might not have been happier if he’d been born Jacqueline, given how often main characters of his make that transformation and then, when they have the opportunity to reverse it are all “nah I’m good.”

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Could anyone help me here? When I was a kid I remember reading a book at the library that was about a girl surviving by herself in a house following an apocalypse that was either nuclear or viral (can't remember) and then one day a man in a hazard suit shows up and she's unsure of who he is or what he wants.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Elderbean posted:

Could anyone help me here? When I was a kid I remember reading a book at the library that was about a girl surviving by herself in a house following an apocalypse that was either nuclear or viral (can't remember) and then one day a man in a hazard suit shows up and she's unsure of who he is or what he wants.

Z For Zacharia by Robert C O'Brien?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wizzardstaff posted:

Z For Zacharia by Robert C O'Brien?

It’s definitely this.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, googling it brought up the cover, which I remember. Thanks!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They made a movie out of it a couple of years back

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I remember that title. Is the movie/book good?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Carthag Tuek posted:

I remember that title. Is the movie/book good?

I thought the book was very deep and impactful when I read it in 5th grade, but not sure how well it holds up. Somehow the movie apparently created a love triangle from a book with only two characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sounds promising lol