Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

You should play Embercleave now because you're not going to be playing any kind of Equipment after rotation lol
Halvar who is sometimes a sword, Maul stay and that weird green landfall thing I'm not going to bother looking up is also somewhat more attractive in a post-eldraine world. Probably we'll be putting sticks and swords on things in the next standard.

Also Forgotten Realms probably has some playable equipment given FR is the murder hobo loot zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind thinking that Maul (or any equipment) wouldn't be viable after rotation, given that it's got a spot now and isn't part of a weird combo or something. If anything, I think we're gonna see a bunch of cards that aren't seeing play now once, and I'm not seeing why equipment would be less viable.

Not saying I'm right, mind you, just trying to understand.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actual constructed playable equipment is fairly rare in any Standard and Embercleave is on a way different level of than Maul (which is OK at best) and idk about the rest. Do people actually use Halvar as a knife

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
at this point im pretty sure that most silverquill decks want ~1 essence infusion. its comparable to expanded anatomy in that it that grows your creatures and makes it impossible to race, and anatomy is nuts in the format

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eej posted:

Actual constructed playable equipment is fairly rare in any Standard and Embercleave is on a way different level of than Maul (which is OK at best) and idk about the rest. Do people actually use Halvar as a knife

Halvar is pretty poopy as a creature if you don't have any equipment at all, are you just suggesting he's gonna not be played at all after rotation?

I'm gonna say that Maul, being Equipment that sees constructed play in Standard, is in fact a piece of "actual constructed playable equipment".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I concede the point I guess. I never see Maul in Historic so I figure it's a garbage card that isn't really played in Standard.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Uh, I get how the inverse of that is true, that something garbage in Standard isn't going to be anything other than garbage in Historic (outside of combo poo poo at least) but that is a hell of a generalization to make in the other direction.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

witchy posted:

at this point im pretty sure that most silverquill decks want ~1 essence infusion. its comparable to expanded anatomy in that it that grows your creatures and makes it impossible to race, and anatomy is nuts in the format

Anatomy is nuts because it's a "free" card. Vigilance also means that you have a good attack, and also a good block the other way. With all the bounce/removal this format has, I think spending an actual card on a buff has risks and downsides.

Essence infusion is also decent (in silverquill), but it's not on the same power level. I do agree that sq has some of the best targets for it (anything with menace, deathtouch or lifelink, or can pass the counters on).

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Drewjitsu posted:

Anatomy is nuts because it's a "free" card. Vigilance also means that you have a good attack, and also a good block the other way. With all the bounce/removal this format has, I think spending an actual card on a buff has risks and downsides.

Essence infusion is also decent (in silverquill), but it's not on the same power level. I do agree that sq has some of the best targets for it (anything with menace, deathtouch or lifelink, or can pass the counters on).

Infusion gives the same +2/+2 buff to enable attacks and the lifelink is comparable to but often worse than the life gained by blocking with the buffed creature. As you noted what really makes it good are the cheap bodies in silverquill that offer keywords and or/die into value. I don't mind spending a card on infusion when the eyetwitch/ingredient/pupil it goes on partially refunds me, or it's buffing an inkling I got for "free" off learn. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're curving evasive 1 drop into infusion on 2 most removal/bounce isn't even online yet. Granted it's not a bomb or anything but pretty much every aggro silverquill deck actively wants one copy which is surprising for a traditionally crap effect.

witchy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 3, 2021

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

witchy posted:

Infusion gives the same +2/+2 buff to enable attacks and the lifelink is comparable to but often worse than the life gained by blocking with the buffed creature. As you noted what really makes it good are the cheap bodies in silverquill that offer keywords and or/die into value. I don't mind spending a card on infusion when the eyetwitch/ingredient/pupil it goes on partially refunds me, or it's buffing an inkling I got for "free" off learn. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're curving evasive 1 drop into infusion on 2 most removal/bounce isn't even online yet. Granted it's not a bomb or anything but pretty much every aggro silverquill deck actively wants one copy which is surprising for a traditionally crap effect.

I think what Drewjitsu is saying (and I certainly agree) is not that Infusion is bad, just that it is not "comparable" to Anatomy.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Revol posted:

Oriq Loremage (pretty lame by itself, made no impact for me)

I am 95% sure loremage is only going to be good in some form of reanimator deck, which doesn’t seem like a possibility in limited. The primary form of graveyard interaction is Lorehold, which doesn’t line up with a 2B card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a tonne of great monowhite aggro cards from the past 3 sets, if anything I'd expect to see even more Skymaul post-rotation.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

wolfman101 posted:

I am 95% sure loremage is only going to be good in some form of reanimator deck, which doesn’t seem like a possibility in limited. The primary form of graveyard interaction is Lorehold, which doesn’t line up with a 2B card.

You could use it to find a bookwurm, trudge or pilgrim to buy back if you made it into the mid/late game without drawing any. Mostly it'll just be a 4 mana 3/3 I think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a 3/3 that taps to get bigger a few times. Playable but not particularly exciting I'd say.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Quick draft for Strixhaven is rare-tastic. The bots even pass rares that I consider limited playable.
Today's deck has 2 of each Demogoth titan and poet's quill. Those two are a pretty nice combo even.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

elbkaida posted:

You could use it to find a bookwurm, trudge or pilgrim to buy back if you made it into the mid/late game without drawing any. Mostly it'll just be a 4 mana 3/3 I think.

Yeah, it underperforms according to 17lands. In order for it to be good, you need to draw it early-midgame, have a good target that you didn't draw, have an entirely different way to get that target into play, and not die to aggro while setting it all up. Maybe if it was a 2 mana play it would be good in an aggro deck?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Embercleave is mechanically so far removed from every other equipment it’s not even really fair to compare them. I literally played Standard during Caw-Blade, the Batter-Borb was incredibly strong but the only other equipment I put on Embercleave’s level are like Jitte and Skullclamp, because neither of those cards function the way equipment are typically meant to function, because the way they impact the game is so different.

Equipment are designed to be played, and then equipped, and then used in combat for value and stabilization. Embercleave is like “what if you play me for almost free at instant speed and I automatically equip and just instantly kill your opponent from 14 to nothing”. The only other card in Standard I can think of right now that just ends the game on the spot like that is Ultimatum or Ugin, a 7 and an 8 mana spell. Embercleave is usually a 2-3 mana spell.

Previous standard formats had strong burn spells to provide red decks the reach they needed to get over blockers or powerful protection enchantments. Embercleave also provides reach, but it does so in a way to completely invalidates blocking, which in turn just makes combat a totally pointless endeavor to anyone but the Embercleave player. The battlefield has been so polluted by idiotic designs that just make combat completely impossible (Questing Beast, Field of the Dad, Cat Oven, Lovestruck Beast, Gargaroth) that Embercleave is legitimately the only way red decks could have participated in the last 2 years. The format shouldn’t need to lean almost exclusively on one card to carry through every damage based archetype for an entire Standard rotation.

I fuckin’ hate Embercleave.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah, Embercleave is just dumb

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

those are all great points and make me very interested to see the standard playing field come fall. i hope the dnd set doesn't gently caress things up. it would be strange and interesting to have a format where the strongest cards are stuff like luminarch aspirant and goldspan dragon

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would personally really love to get away from this haymaker style of magic where the game is just totally and fully negated by one player resolving a giant 7-8 mana spell that just concludes the game. Resolving Ugin or Sultai Ultimatum is simply too easy and too reliable for how overwhelmingly powerful those cards are. We had Ugin in Standard before, but getting to 8 mana actually used to be extremely difficult and Ugin almost never showed up except in the SB of UW Cawblade Mirrors or w/e.

Magic used to be about synergy and blocking. Standard right now is just SWEEPER SWEEPER SWEEPER SWEEPER ULITMATUM SWEEPER UGIN GG or it’s “ha ha I won the coin flip so I will kill you with Embercleave on T4 before you exile all creatures from play and the gy and render it totally impossible for me to keep playing.”

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

just cause sky maul isnt as good as embercleave doesnt mean its not really good. might not see it much after hallowblade rotates out but there is a reason monowhite aggro was running over standard last set

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are a tonne of great monowhite aggro cards from the past 3 sets, if anything I'd expect to see even more Skymaul post-rotation.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

My understanding is that equipment is currently unpopular because of all the cheap and instant removal spells floating around, making it trivial for a lot of decks to wait until the mana is spent to play or equip something, then Eliminate / Heartless Act / Drown in the Loch / Bounce the target, robbing the player of not only an attacker but also the opportunity to do anything else that turn.

White gets away with it because of Hallowblade, and then Alseid and Selfless Savior protecting the equipped creature and Embercleave is just such a goddamn bomb that it makes pretty much anything it goes on a lethal threat.

With all those leaving Standard, it'll be interesting to see how the calculus on playing equipment shakes out.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 3, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hooplah posted:

those are all great points and make me very interested to see the standard playing field come fall. i hope the dnd set doesn't gently caress things up. it would be strange and interesting to have a format where the strongest cards are stuff like luminarch aspirant and goldspan dragon

I'm actually hopeful for that. I think they did a really good job on Strixhaven in that regard, not upping the power level and if they keep it on par there, it's gonna be a really fun fall.

It seems like they understand they screwed the pooch with Eldraine, and it would just be bizarre to have 3 sets with good power levels only to gently caress it up now.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we're gonna have Mordenkainen as a 5 mana Planeswalker that can only be described as "Ugin but more powerful".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maul will see play because A) the auto-equip means it's less likely you're losing all your mana and B) a pretty big part of playing an aggro deck is making them have it. You can't always do insane Jedi Jiujitsu to play around Extinction Event AND Soul Shatter AND Shatter the Sky AND Ugin. Aggro is about going "ok either they have it and I lose bad or they don't have it and I win" and Maul is a really awesome clock modifier that speeds the game up enough that the window to disrupt you is closing faster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Revol posted:

Oriq Loremage (pretty lame by itself, made no impact for me)

I won a game with Oriq in limited. But that was because we hit a board stall and I systematically removed all lands from my deck with him, then used him to shuffle the approach of the second sun I cast into my then-8 card deck instead of leaving it seven cards in. That was the only impact he had at all aside from being a vanilla creature with a bad defensive combat trick and that time he worked out was...not a common situation and there are a lot of cards that would have fixed that situation a lot better.

Anyway, I am finished raredrafting this set (except for a handful of rares that monthly rank rewards and the mastery track will fill out, since I got "unlucky" in opening too many mythics/wildcards). Are there any standard decks at all that use Strixhaven cards, or not until Eldraine is out?

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 3, 2021

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I won a game with Oriq in limited. But that was because we hit a board stall and I systematically removed all lands from my deck with him, then used him to shuffle the approach of the second sun I cast into my then-8 card deck instead of leaving it seven cards in. That was the only impact he had at all aside from being a vanilla creature with a bad defensive combat trick and that time he worked out was...not a common situation and there are a lot of cards that would have fixed that situation a lot better.

Anyway, I am finished raredrafting this set (except for a handful of rares that monthly rank rewards and the mastery track will fill out, since I got "unlucky" in opening too many mythics/wildcards). Are there any standard decks at all that use Strixhaven cards, or not until Eldraine is out?

How many drafts did you do, and what did that cost you? I'm about 50 rares away, 35 mythics a way from a complete set.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It might be worthwhile to craft up the Red/White version of the Cycling deck, or splurge on the Red/White/Blue version which you can do with no nonland rares if you're willing to spend wildcards on the good dual sided lands (they aren't leaving format in the Fall). Just skip Irencrag Pyromancer and the Triomes, toss in a 1 mana cycling card for the former and base lands for the latter.

It won't be perfect, but it's ladder competitive and has been serving me well for the last two months.

If Rinkles spent wildcards on mono red they should probably follow their heart and finish it, but as a newbie I want to elevate this advice, and it should be considered for the OP. The Cycling deck, especially the R/W version, is 5% as expensive and 95% as good as any other meta deck, and allows you to play competitive Standard with zero rares and avoid the "built deck, hate deck, no wildcards, now what" deathtrap. It is dead at rotation, but I'm a mediocre player and just went 7-0 in Standard Event against the following:

Rogues
Mono White
Knight Tribal
Cycling
Sultai Ultimatum
Tibalt's Trickery (feat. T2 Kiora Bests The Sea God)
Mono Red

This is not a brag post. I missed lethal multiple times. Just confirmation that the deck is Good Enough.

TipTow posted:

Between those two sublime epiphany would be a lot more frustrating to see as an opponent facing what appear(ed) to be a Gruul deck.

I've played this once out of five draws but it was for all five modes to win the game so it's averaging 13/10. Magma Opus has the discard mode which is nice while also being not as cowardly as playing a straight-up cycling card like Neutralize. In about a month this will have become a Gruul Ultimatum deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

evilweasel posted:

There's the Winota deck which plays Blade Historian and Professor of Symbiology. There's also Prismari Dragons (Galazeth, Magma Opus, Primsari Command maybe?) and BGx sacrifice (some combination of Eyetwitch, Hunt for Specimens, Extus, Sedgmore Witch and Plumb the Forgottem depending on build) which both seem pretty promising but its hard to pin down a refined list for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

How many drafts did you do, and what did that cost you? I'm about 50 rares away, 35 mythics a way from a complete set.

I did 31 recorded on 17lands, and I think it missed two. I had a really high winrate at first (4 trophies out of my first 6, and I think of the two missed drafts I trophied once and the sealed where I trophied) but never got back to that level after that streak dumped me in Diamond and I started facing real competition, but I also raredrafted the hell out of those beginning drafts - annoyingly, it seemed like the less I raredrafted the more likely I didn't hit three wins. I started out with about 40-50k gold, about 12k-15k gems (don't remember which), and got the $50 draft token pack. I've now got about 4k gold, about 10k gems, and no more draft tokens, and ended up with a 52.8% winrate and 108 packs.

I'm now 11 rares and 35 mythics short of a complete set, the rares I expect to cover with monthly rewards and the rest of the mastery track (not thinking through on those extra packs led me to open Kaldheim late, and waste about 12 packs of it).

Also this time I actually paid some attention to uncommons/commons - when in doubt for late picks where nothing is even in my colors, always picked the uncommon, or if no uncommon, whatever I didn't have 4x of already which has left me with a near-complete set of those too and about 1.8x vault openings.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2021

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I did 31 recorded on 17lands, and I think it missed two. I had a really high winrate at first (4 trophies out of my first 6, and I think of the two missed drafts I trophied once and the sealed where I trophied) but never got back to that level after that streak dumped me in Diamond and I started facing real competition, but I also raredrafted the hell out of those beginning drafts - annoyingly, it seemed like the less I raredrafted the more likely I didn't hit three wins. I started out with about 40-50k gold, about 12k-15k gems (don't remember which), and got the $50 draft token pack. I've now got about 4k gold, about 10k gems, and no more draft tokens, and ended up with a 52.8% winrate and 108 packs.

I'm now 11 rares and 35 mythics short of a complete set, the rares I expect to cover with monthly rewards and the rest of the mastery track (not thinking through on those extra packs led me to open Kaldheim late, and waste about 12 packs of it).

Also this time I actually paid some attention to uncommons/commons - when in doubt for late picks where nothing is even in my colors, always picked the uncommon, or if no uncommon, whatever I didn't have 4x of already which has left me with a near-complete set of those too and about 1.8x vault openings.

Okay, I'm basically on pace with you then, except that I'm loving terrible in the bo1 queue, and very good at the bo3 queue.

My Strat for drafting a new set is ranked until gold/plat, and then bo3, with bo1 after rank reset to get ranked rewards.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

Okay, I'm basically on pace with you then, except that I'm loving terrible in the bo1 queue, and very good at the bo3 queue.

My Strat for drafting a new set is ranked until gold/plat, and then bo3, with bo1 after rank reset to get ranked rewards.

yeah - next time, if I hit diamond, I'm done with bo1 for the rest of the month, it absolutely tanked my win rate. I'll have to try bo3 next expansion.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I fuckin’ hate Embercleave.

The argument of "Embercleave is the most playable equipment ever" never really held much weight to me, because 90% of the time Embercleave isn't even an equipment, it's just a stronger Temur Battle Rage.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The argument of "Embercleave is the most playable equipment ever" never really held much weight to me, because 90% of the time Embercleave isn't even an equipment, it's just a stronger Temur Battle Rage.

except my man bust already addressed that point in talking about how cleave breaks the normal equipment play pattern. the fact that you don't often see it re-equipped isn't much of a knock against it as an equipment but rather a testament to its power level. a trick is way worse because removing the creature doesn't actually get you card advantage if they have more creatures. sure they cant ambush you again, but they can still throw it on a mammoth and hit you for 14 the next turn

maybe i'm just a limited player at heart but the at parity or from behind situations are more useful to me to consider, and cleave gets you way more than a trick would in those cases

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The turn 4 Embercleave win is dramatic but I don't think it's really what makes the card strong. If you play 3 creatures and get to attack with all of them there's any number of tricks that could let you close the game there. To me the fact that it sticks around and allows you to continue making extremely difficult to block attacks every turn is what makes it good in close games.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Double Strike and Trample and +1/+1 just work out so that blocking is basically always impossible. Obviously the fact it persists is strong, but in my experience most of my games end on the turn I cast it anyway.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I posted this prismari/izzet deck a ways back, it got me to mythic last month relatively easily

just hit mythic BO1 (89% :lol: ) with this izzet dragon treasures deck, it's a lot of fun. it'll suck to lose bonecrusher post rotation but it could be subbed out for frost bites orrrr something else and then it's standard legal for another year+.

dragon treasures

4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
2 Galazeth Prismari (STX) 189
4 Alrund's Epiphany (KHM) 41

1 Crackle with Power (STX) 95
2 Draconic Intervention (STX) 96
4 Expressive Iteration (STX) 186
2 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
2 Creative Outburst (STX) 171

2 Crush the Weak (KHM) 128
2 Prismari Command (STX) 214
4 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76

4 Riverglide Pathway (ZNR) 264
4 Temple of Epiphany (M21) 252
6 Island (UST) 213
7 Mountain (UST) 215

2 Swiftwater Cliffs (M21) 251
2 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Surtland Frostpyre (KHM) 271

1 Magma Opus (STX) 203

I haven't even tried it with brazen borrowers or any other modifications, its faster than yorion with treasure ramp, and can keep up with rogues, monor and winota. I added a bunch of sweepers for monow and some monog and crushed up through high plat->mythic in a couple of days. give it a shot!

e I probably have too many sweepers, but monow and rogues have been so prevalent in my queues I've almost never felt stupid having another board wipe in hand.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 3, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bust Rodd posted:

I would personally really love to get away from this haymaker style of magic where the game is just totally and fully negated by one player resolving a giant 7-8 mana spell that just concludes the game. Resolving Ugin or Sultai Ultimatum is simply too easy and too reliable for how overwhelmingly powerful those cards are. We had Ugin in Standard before, but getting to 8 mana actually used to be extremely difficult and Ugin almost never showed up except in the SB of UW Cawblade Mirrors or w/e.

Magic used to be about synergy and blocking. Standard right now is just SWEEPER SWEEPER SWEEPER SWEEPER ULITMATUM SWEEPER UGIN GG or it’s “ha ha I won the coin flip so I will kill you with Embercleave on T4 before you exile all creatures from play and the gy and render it totally impossible for me to keep playing.”

I've had this thoguht a lot recently and I do wonder... what big, big finishers are there post rotation? Ugin goes, all the ultimatums go...

So, Alrund's Epiphany? Sublime Epiphany? But those aren't AS impactful as Ugin/Emergent Ultimatum.

Maybe Ecologial Appreciation? But two creatures of the opponent's choice is way less important that what Ultimatums can do, especially with some of the more impactful creatures gone and needing to get to 9 mana for stuff like Vorinclex.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Big Play Magic is good and if the game devolves into Midrange Winter people are gonna bounce out of Standard so hard

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
with a goldspan on board and a foretold saw it coming, alrunds epiphany is still extremely strong.

swing for 4 + treasure, extra turn, swing for 6, treasure, you now have nine mana on board, an extra card in hand and just did 10 evasion damage to your opponent if they had no interaction. crackle with power for another 10 (2+2+2+RR) after that is pretty fun too :evilbuddy:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

evilweasel posted:

yeah - next time, if I hit diamond, I'm done with bo1 for the rest of the month, it absolutely tanked my win rate. I'll have to try bo3 next expansion.

Just to give you some numbers, I'm a poo poo rear end drafter and I have the following stats in STX:

Bo1:
8 events
19-22 (46% WR :smith:)
1810 net gems (226.25 NG per event)
18 packs won

Bo3:
22 events
48-18 (72.73 WR :unsmith:)
20740 net gems (942.73 per event)
93 packs won

I started stx with 20790 gems, and I currently have 21300 gems (I had to buy some cosmetics for gems, I have a problem, I know).

I have no idea why my bo1 is so horrid. I was 63% WR in khm bo1.