Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Tank chat update. The electric mini tank had a super electric engine which I swapped into the MBT, though with the amount of charge it currently has it can only run for about 12 minutes. The solars I have on it will take about a week to fully charge it but Im trying to find some plutonium cells to power a minireactor I snagged.

Though TBH the week long recharge is a nice forced way to make me stick around in one spot for a decent amount of time rather than just zooming into a town and rushing like 3 select buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Tin Tim posted:

Not quite what I'm looking for in regards to god mode but thanks! I guess I can abuse the kill command to just delete mobs when I can't deal

Assuming the latest versions, go to your debug menu, then go to the 'Player' menu and then 'Mutate.' Press '/' to initiate a search and type in 'debug.' This will give you a lot of options for debug mutations/traits. I've tested some out to see what they're about.

'Debug Very Strong Back' *used* to set it so your max carry weight was something obscene, and I think it also gave you a lot of storage volume as well. Right now, it appears broken and I recall it being broken for the last year at least. If you want to get something approximating it, go to 'spawn item' and search 'debug' again for the pocket dimension (which I also recommend if you want to ignore the backpack volume BS entirely). As for extra carry weight, the only 'workaround' I know of is going back to the 'Player' menu, going to 'Edit Player/NPC' and selecting yourself, then setting your strength stat to something obscene. Of course this also means that accidentally running into a monster, animal, or NPC will likely gib it if you hit them.

'Debug Night Vision' seems to give you a radius of normal vision even if it is dark. Please note, this does not allow you to read or do other activities which require a light source. Now, I'm not sure if it is this or the next one (Debug Clairvoyance) that grants you the map, so I'm putting it here. One of those debug traits basically grants you the entire map for both viewing and teleporting, without having to permanently reveal it. It could be useful if you're otherwise not cheating, but wanted to start somewhere not allowed by the starting scenarios by searching and teleporting. You won't reveal any place on your map that you don't visit first, so it'd be relatively easy to turn this on, find your military bunker or necropolis or whatever, teleport there, then shut the cheats down.

'Debug Clairvoyance' gives you a radius of I think six to eight tiles where you can see through walls. Kind of useful for labs and the like. Make sure to turn it off if you're in a safe but surrounded area and want to read or whatever. As above, it may also be the 'auto-map' feature. I've never tested them not together, out of laziness.

'Debug Clairvoyance Super' is obscene. Not only is it clairvoyance (and night vision, if enabled) for full visual radius, but you can also see different Z-levels monsters. That being said, this also seems to lag the game slightly while active. I'm not a fan of this one even when I'm doing cheaty runs to look into or test stuff.

'Debug Invisibility' is about as it sounds. Nothing detects you visually and it's pretty nice to pop this on if you either have a Lab (bottom floor) start (to avoid the usual instant kill turrets/robots) or if the game pulls some bullshit (like the multiple times I've been unlucky enough to use a military ID card in a bunker and the turrets *remain* active). I'm not sure if enemies can still eventually target you with just this on.

'Debug Life Support' is... I'm not sure. It seems like it should make it so your hunger, thirst, and possibly sleep shouldn't change. It doesn't do any of that. Nor does it take care of oxygen problems. I recall it being like this in older versions too, so... I don't know.

'Debug Deodorizer' and 'Debug Silent Walk' take care of the other things that help you remain invisible. I'm not sure if the system still works but supposedly zombies 'random' movement is influenced by a smell stat or state, where if you linger in an area your smell picks up or whatever. 'Silent Walk,' meanwhile, removes most player noise. I think gunfire and thrown objects and deliberate noisemaking is fine, but running around or beaning a zombie with a 2x4 won't meaningfully increase noise to attract nearby zombies.

'Debug HVAC' seems to make your character immune or resistant to temperature issues. I'm not entirely sure this works, mainly because I've gotten to the point that I always turn on 'Cryoadaptation' and 'Alpine Conditioning' in the mutations/traits menus, because the developers seem to think I'll freeze to death at 50 F despite being fully dressed and that annoys me.

'Debug Invincibility' seems to be what you're looking for regarding God Mode. Nothing can damage you (though it can still hit you and I think inflict stuff like knockdown), and I'm pretty sure that includes your clothes. Either that, or I'm absurdly lucky when I do something stupid like face-tank a burst of .50 Cal Turret fire and don't lose clothes.

'Debug Hammerspace' is *very* interesting. This basically just shuts crafting requirements off completely, minus 'light' because apparently the game still doesn't want me building a sewer tank without a flashlight even when I'm cheating. You can pop open any of your crafting menus and just immediately start making GBS threads out clothes, constructions, and even clicking on vehicles to add or replace parts almost instantly. (Note: if you want to scratch build a vehicle this way, turn the trait off and spawn whatever starting frame you want to use. Start your vehicle construction with that frame, *then* turn the cheat back on. If you try to do this with the cheat on it does nothing.)

I haven't tested the other debug cheats much if at all. 'Crafting Virtuoso' looks to be new and claims to shut off chances of crafting failure. Neat, I guess. 'Mind Control' I've never used, but I suspect it either makes all NPCs friendly, gives you 100% chances with dialogue options with NPCs, or both. And the Bionic Debugs I've never really toyed with.

OTHER FUN DEBUG MENU THINGS:
-You can add proficiencies to yourself now. 'Player' to 'Edit Player/NPC,' then 'Edit Proficiencies.' This is pretty useful for certain things, like playing one of the mod military classes and adding the ubiquitous 'Principles of Gunsmithing' or whatever proficiency that almost all military have. You can also give yourself 'Lockpicking' so it doesn't take you a full day and twenty improvised lockpicks to pick your way through a door as a starting character with 0-1 Devices skill.
-Speaking of Edit Player, if you edit stats and want to go back to normal (and are using the 'Stats from Skills' or 'Stats from Kills' mods), make sure to set it back to your initial set. Like if you started with 12 strength, go back to that. Not sure how bionics/mutations work with that though.
-While it's a bit hard to parse, you can also use Edit Player to adjust your health, food and water and sleep needs, pain, and so on. If you adjust weight, I believe 'Normal' weight is in the 30000 to 50000 calorie range, and starting players in the 'Overweight' category have around 70000 calories.
-Spawning NPCs is a bit of a crapshoot, because NPCs are invariably a crap shoot. While they've gotten mildly better about it, I recall in older builds of spawning an NPC and it immediately being the 'DROP EVERYTHING AND LEAVE' bandit types. That being said, these NPCs are not auto-friendly, even if it does seem like they no longer spawn the bandits.
-Spawning Monsters can be interesting. You can make them friendly by clicking 'F' I think and adjust mob size. I kind of enjoy going to the bandit overrun apartment complexes and dropping a lot of horrible monsters inside, while watching invisibly.
-The Game menu has two very nice features. The first is 'Enable Achievements' if you care about that sort of thing, like if you're using the debug menu for those minor adjustments or to get out of a bullshit hole or something. The second is 'Quit Game Without Saving.' When you know a run is in the toilet or whatever and want to restart, why wait for the saving time to quit out?

EDIT: Some clarification about 'Hammerspace.'

-Using 'Hammerspace' for construction/crafting will still get you skill growth for at least vehicle modding, and I'm assuming other construction stuff, if you're worried about that.
-For doing that NPC Survivor Base stuff, Hammerspace removes *some* of the BS for it. You don't have material requirements at least. But you still need to set up the required material and food zones. You still need an NPC for it with the required skill levels. And you still need to feed that NPC. But it removes the rather large materials requirements, and removes the time requirements.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 2, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Spawned NPCs sometimes need to be negotiatated down still at least in BN.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Inglonias posted:

There's a debug mutation for invincibility.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Amazing debug magic
Oh wow thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for! Time to do some wacky poo poo

Game knew what I was about to do and gave me an amazing start....time to read up on boats

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 2, 2021

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This game was best played after hacking together a mod that lets me fully modify helicopters without removing flight capacity. Honestly, devs say this game is about realism, while having poo poo like mutations, biotics, and eldrich horrors in the game. The game only cares about "realism" in the same way/time that your gorgnard GM who never learned that Players Vs GM was not a goal to stride for does.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
At least that GM actually gets to experience loving his players over, instead of simply getting mad about the mere idea of people enjoying themselves.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

In a normal game, the start I posted would have been pretty rough as far as evac shelters go. I got just enough nails after deconstructing everything in the shelter (yes even the frames for the doors) to grind mech to 2 and build a working 3 tile boat with a storage chest. Took me several days but I got moving. Exploration has been rough due to the swamps and rivers around but I found several working solar cars to the south and some other good cars so I can migrate once I find a solid location. Hasn't happened yet though since the area around me is kinda rear end. North is blocked by a huge ant colony with a mine past it. South has an edge of a town but it's a very narrow approach with spider nests next to it on top of the zombies. South-east is a small fema camp that looks sorta light on the zombie count but also has flamers and soldiers. Haven't explored west yet but I'm banking my hopes for a farm in range of a town on that direction. Probably gonna use the debug tools soon if I don't find anything good in the west. Also I didn't pay attention to my sheet and collected 20 rad levels after looting a cratered building so yeah game is punishing me in advance lol

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 2, 2021

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Sometimes your starting location is nasty, either from bad luck or sloppy map generation.

Like one time I ended up (using the ‘safe place’ scenario) in a horse farm on this little isolated chunk of land. Like I think it was supposed to be coastal but thanks to being at the edge of the map chunk the adjacent chunk was more lake. If that wasn’t bad enough, there was absolutely nothing useful there, with the added ‘fun’ of a ‘dead scientists’ spawn (with the Migo present and dangerous) and a portal with a Flaming Eye that would almost certainly blind me and/or fungus me. I saw all that and just reset, because wow.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oof, yeah that's a poo poo-sandwich with extra on top.

Btw delete flaming eyes from the game imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flaming eyes would be ok were it not for the weird fungal risk

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bright Nights is really impressing me right off the bat here. There were a few convenient things mentioned in the changelog, like butchering using nearby items instead of just ones you're holding, and a similar thing for crafting and workbenches, but I'm impressed at how many quality of life changes there really are. Just off the top of my head the biggest ones for my experience have been:
* Hunger works normally now instead of being based on "stomach fullness" which is completely different from actual stored calories, and there's no more underweight/overweight mechanics
* No more crafting proficiencies, which couldn't be trained and took forever to go up so their only change was making some crafts take like 10x as long
* Being grabbed doesn't instantly make you fight like you had all your bones removed, and grabs can be broken by attacking the zombie grabbing you
* Natively includes a mod to remove lifting requirements for vehicle part removal and installation
* Dissection takes 10 minutes to check for bionics, not 40
* Seasons can be much shorter, which means crops grow in a reasonable time and you can actually see winter.
Probably a ton of other stuff I'm overlooking, but convenience is really the name of the game here. A lot of the bullshit has been cut out, not just in terms of the new systems, but in long-standing concepts that were just never tweaked for accessibility.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah Im playing Bright Nights and it's very good

I did a new character after my last one died because Im a clown, and this one's going really well. For a long time I did the helicoptor pilot start, but hated how long I would have to wander to find anything. The default start, even with less points, feels way better just because starting near a semi-small town is a GREAT way to get started on just about everything. I've torn up every shirt in town and now my tailoring is level 7, just got my mechanics up to 3 so I can go hunting for solar panels. Which, sounded very annoying, but then I realized all evac shelters have one on the roof, so that's a great place to jump-start my battery recharging stations so I can get my electronics up

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Dandywalken posted:

Flaming eyes would be ok were it not for the weird fungal risk

Flaming eyes haven't been able to do fungal infections for a while now.

Vib Rib posted:

Bright Nights is really impressing me right off the bat here. There were a few convenient things mentioned in the changelog, like butchering using nearby items instead of just ones you're holding, and a similar thing for crafting and workbenches, but I'm impressed at how many quality of life changes there really are. Just off the top of my head the biggest ones for my experience have been:
* Hunger works normally now instead of being based on "stomach fullness" which is completely different from actual stored calories, and there's no more underweight/overweight mechanics
* No more crafting proficiencies, which couldn't be trained and took forever to go up so their only change was making some crafts take like 10x as long
* Being grabbed doesn't instantly make you fight like you had all your bones removed, and grabs can be broken by attacking the zombie grabbing you
* Natively includes a mod to remove lifting requirements for vehicle part removal and installation
* Dissection takes 10 minutes to check for bionics, not 40
* Seasons can be much shorter, which means crops grow in a reasonable time and you can actually see winter.
Probably a ton of other stuff I'm overlooking, but convenience is really the name of the game here. A lot of the bullshit has been cut out, not just in terms of the new systems, but in long-standing concepts that were just never tweaked for accessibility.

A quick test also shows something surprising to me - Infection Resistant advantage has been replaced by Infection Immune. That's just a thing you can get now, along with Parasite Immunity. You can choose whether to start with an NPC or not once more (that option was removed for some reason and I don't know why). I'm glad that Bright Nights has started up again. That being said, I seem to have a soft spot for the new inventory system, and I'm not sure why, but I prefer the DDA branch personally.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 2, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It drives me nuts when I can hear zombies fighting manhacks underground and can't find a way down

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It'd be cool if wearing a blindfold made you immune to flaming eyes.

Also Bright Nights cut out a lot of pretty meaningless disadvantages that people would just load up for perk points, which makes sense. Personally I just play freeform point pools anyway, because it's more interesting to build what I want than worry about if I took enough quality of life detriments to make it "fair".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It'd be cool if wearing a blindfold made you immune to flaming eyes.

.... It doesn't???? I mean I hadn't tested it or anything because I'm not crazy enough to mess around in flaming eye town unless I'm about to run them over at sixty miles per hour but my mental image of how you were supposed to handle them was always blindfolding myself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignofevil posted:

.... It doesn't???? I mean I hadn't tested it or anything because I'm not crazy enough to mess around in flaming eye town unless I'm about to run them over at sixty miles per hour but my mental image of how you were supposed to handle them was always blindfolding myself.
Right?? It's automatically intuitive. But nope, doesn't seem to work.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You are misunderstanding what the eye basically is/does.

It's not some basilisk type thing where if you make eye contact with it it gets ya, its basically the disembodied eye of a Cthulu esqe entity and it noticing you is a not great thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You're right, combating it with a blindfold just isn't realistic

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Maybe if you just shoot it with a big enough blindfold instead...? Not that the Cata devs would ever approve such a thing, too unrealistic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe we could roll vs your vitamin levels first, have to look into this more.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shoot it? No, you've gotta throw the blindfold

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A basilisk that instakills you if you use the look button to examine it because technically that would constitute as making eye contact

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A gun that shoots dark shades

:dealwithit:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Maybe if you just shoot it with a big enough blindfold instead...? Not that the Cata devs would ever approve such a thing, too unrealistic.

You're gonna hate this. A tinfoil hat actually provides some amount of protection from flaming eyes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It occurred to me the other day that all creatures being able to see in all directions at all times makes for a really weird balance and totally destroys the possibility for stealth in the game. Adding cones of vision would probably take a lot of processing power, plus it would be hard to express which way enemies are looking, especially in large groups, so it probably wouldn't even be worth it. But a lot of gameplay possibilities still spring to mind, even hypothetically.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It occurred to me the other day that all creatures being able to see in all directions at all times makes for a really weird balance and totally destroys the possibility for stealth in the game. Adding cones of vision would probably take a lot of processing power, plus it would be hard to express which way enemies are looking, especially in large groups, so it probably wouldn't even be worth it. But a lot of gameplay possibilities still spring to mind, even hypothetically.

You could crib some code off how the headlights work out maybe, since they throw off directional vision squires at night.

Vib Rib posted:

You're right, combating it with a blindfold just isn't realistic

Nah, it's just not how they actually work in lore. Its like those weird fish things the orz in star control. The eyes are the extra dimensial projection of beings beyond your comprehension and the fact that they notice you leads to bad times.

The tag for the eyes isn't that you make eye contact and you feel bad, it's that it looks at you and everything just feels wrong.

They should 100% spawn way less then they do though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 3, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So catching those 20 rads I mentioned earlier and working through the sickness for the last couple days has actually turned out to be a good thing. My night vision mutated into high night vision! I assumed that you need to gently caress around with radiation a lot more to trigger a mutation? Sure am glad that it was beneficial

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Telsa Cola posted:

Nah, it's just not how they actually work in lore. Its like those weird fish things the orz in star control. The eyes are the extra dimensial projection of beings beyond your comprehension and the fact that they notice you leads to bad times.
The tag for the eyes isn't that you make eye contact and you feel bad, it's that it looks at you and everything just feels wrong.
yeah but it would be cool
Having an enemy you can blind yourself to combat or at least get past would be an interesting mechanic that adds a wrinkle to otherwise very samey combat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A basilisk that instakills you if you use the look button to examine it because technically that would constitute as making eye contact

Now THIS would actually be loving hilarious

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Does anyone know what tileset this is? It looks neat :)

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This would be a much better game if the devs were committed to Nethack-style "walking over a cockatrice corpse while blind and not wearing gloves turns you to stone because you identify items by touch" realism rather than survivalist/tacticool realism.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

yeah but it would be cool
Having an enemy you can blind yourself to combat or at least get past would be an interesting mechanic that adds a wrinkle to otherwise very samey combat.

Oh totally agree.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Legin Noslen posted:

Does anyone know what tileset this is? It looks neat :)

RetroDays, a.k.a. the only good one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How does fishing actually work? Since my map is so river-heavy I'm going to need to get some fish instead of finding a moose/cow to dry as I usually do. So far I've just killed the fish I could see on the map but I assume the game actually has a deeper mechanic for fishing?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

How does fishing actually work? Since my map is so river-heavy I'm going to need to get some fish instead of finding a moose/cow to dry as I usually do. So far I've just killed the fish I could see on the map but I assume the game actually has a deeper mechanic for fishing?

Fishing is weird. Long story short, you are going to want to use fish traps with maximum bait instead of fishing with a rod. Traps only rely on your survival skill and are passive so you can do other stuff while you wait. Craft some plastic fish traps, craft some fish bait, and place them in the water. Then wait.

For how it works mechanically, when you go out and melee kill a fish, it behaves like any other wildlife. But when you are fishing, you are catching pretend fish. The game creates an abstract fish population based on how many actual fish are within 60 tiles. When rod fishing, it uses your survival skill plus the quality of your rod plus a bonus from the number of fish in the area to do some weird math to see how long it takes for you to catch a fish. Traps work much quicker and only use your survival skill to calculate your chances of catching a fish. When you do eventually catch a fish either way, the abstract fish population is reduced by one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

megane posted:

RetroDays, a.k.a. the only good one.
I love the aesthetic of Retrodays and its small tile size makes it easier to see more map at once, whereas all the other tilesets are almost myopic and your view distance is shorter than most zombies so it can be hard to easily keep track of how far away everything is.
But I just can't use it. Partially because I'm an unimaginative dullard who needs everything spelled out so I can just glance and see all the details of items lying on the ground, and partially because the heavy black balance makes it hard for me to make out some broader shapes and also kinda hurts my eyes.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I love retrodays except for two things: One, there is no dolly dress up because your character sprite doesn't change based on your gear and mutations. Two, I usually play with magiclysm and dorf life which are unsupported as far as I know.

But yeah it is great to actually see to the edge of your view distance.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Fishing is weird.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Probably gonna stick to clubing fishes at the shore for now then. My survival still sucks atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I love retrodays except for two things: One, there is no dolly dress up because your character sprite doesn't change based on your gear and mutations. Two, I usually play with magiclysm and dorf life which are unsupported as far as I know.

But yeah it is great to actually see to the edge of your view distance.

So does Dorf life actually add anything because looking through the mod code it looks like it just adds the caverns and mushrooms with some related recipes, nothing else?

Besides the finales which just appear to pull krecks and related poo poo as the monster spawn.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 3, 2021