Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ran is apparently coincidentally a lot like King Lear, but when a friend brought up the resemblance Kurosawa decided to roll with it and added more similarities and some quotes.

The Bad Sleep Well also lifts a bit from Hamlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

joylessdivision posted:

Where's my Spelljammer movie you loving cowards!

Spelljammer is the most cartoon-without-a-toyline-that-only-ran-for-13-episodes-before-being-cancelled-on-a-cliffhanger-in-the-80s-esque setting that D&D has ever produced, which is impressive because it has a lot of competition on that front.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gods I would love for some kind of Spelljammer revival.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, there's a lot of interesting settings in D&D that tend to get passed over for more "Tolkien with the numbers filed off" environments.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Neurolimal posted:

Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, there's a lot of interesting settings in D&D that tend to get passed over for more "Tolkien with the numbers filed off" environments.

I would kill for some kind of Dark Sun adaptation, the whole idea is basically "Mad Max in a fantasy setting".

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dark Sun gets the R-rated action movie (ideally directed by George Miller), Spelljammer gets the kids' cartoon show, Eberron gets the Amazon Prime series, and Planescape gets the prestige miniseries. Deal?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Asterite34 posted:

Dark Sun gets the R-rated action movie (ideally directed by George Miller), Spelljammer gets the kids' cartoon show, Eberron gets the Amazon Prime series, and Planescape gets the prestige miniseries. Deal?

Yes to all of these. Time to call in that life debt Bezos owes me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

8one6 posted:

Yes to all of these. Time to call in that life debt Bezos owes me.

Can you get him to finish The Expanse instead?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

IUG posted:

Can you get him to finish The Expanse instead?

Combine that with the Spelljammer show and kill two birds with one stone. The crossover of the century...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Asterite34 posted:

Combine that with the Spelljammer show and kill two birds with one stone. The crossover of the century...

Do you know how hard I would laugh if I came home one week and everyone in the house was furious that a character got airlocked, and right before they expire, this red shroud envelops them and suddenly they're in Elminster's weird beer study and that's the end of the season? I want this more than anything now.

(show's fine but it's not my jam)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I wish fantasy were just tolkien with the serial numbers filled off because he was a very good writer, and most fantasy is definitely not good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

You've gotta admit it'd make a very cheap mid-season bottle episode.

you are in fact living in a bottle plane

you were put there by a mischievous Djinn

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

el oso posted:

Harold Perrineau is unbelievable in R+J. Complete scene stealer. I feel like he should have had a bigger career - he's still acting a lot so he's a very successful actor but it's mostly TV and smaller movies

Making the Queen mab speech about taking ecstasy and having Romeo be ballsed at the party is funny as heck

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Where's my Spelljammer movie you loving cowards!

A proper D&D movie would be Spelljammer as a framing device, and the ship visits other planets/campaign settings like Dark Sun and Eberron.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Asterite34 posted:

Add Ravenlfot as a Netflix Anime.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Add Ravenlfot as a Netflix Anime.

That gets cancelled after two seasons.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Thundercracker posted:

It's a shame it's almost certainly going to be Tolkien style generic fantasy. I want them to get weird and go all Planeacape Torment. There's some wildly inventive stuff on D and D. Especially with the monsters

Put an Astral Dreadnought in it. It'll be the closest we ever get to putting a Cacodemon in a movie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

A proper D&D movie would be Spelljammer as a framing device, and the ship visits other planets/campaign settings like Dark Sun and Eberron.

I like where this is going

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Specifically because they were Sword model guns. That movie had a lot of fun with prop design.

I haven't seen it since freshman year of high school, but I distinctly remember the tight closeup on a "Sword 9mm." That's when I knew it was going to be great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At one point Brian Dennehy as Montague yells “Give me my longsword ho!” and reaches for a mounted assault rifle in their limousine.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Young Freud posted:

lexx

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even if it is a standard fantasy, I at least hope they use some of the more unique elements of D&D like how some spells can become 'alive' and crawl around like an amoeba spreading they spell effects, or there's a class that fight using knives created using psychic energy. Or dragons transforming into humans so they can gently caress people and have half-dragon babies. DeviantArt will love that.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe I need to watch Romeo plus Juliet because every comment in this thread about it makes it sound awesome even though on paper it sounds lame as hell

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Klowner posted:

Maybe I need to watch Romeo plus Juliet because every comment in this thread about it makes it sound awesome even though on paper it sounds lame as hell

Same

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's....fune

fun and fine

little weird when you're a teen and wonder why they talk all wacky

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Double feature it with the Troma adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVukJeiJGT0

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Romeo + Juliet is extremely 1990s in both the best and worst senses. It’s definitely worth a watch at least once.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Romeo + Juliet is probably the best movie we watched in high school. We watched part of the 1968 version too, but I don't remember anything about that other than my teacher telling everyone to "be mature please" during that one scene.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Romeo + Juliet is worth a watch if you haven't seen it, yeah.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Codependent Poster posted:

Romeo + Juliet is worth a watch if you haven't seen it, yeah.

/my English teacher

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Klowner posted:

It's good, just extremely hyperactive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Baz Lurhmann's general deal is that subtlety is for the weak, and it certainly works for Shakespeare and musicals.

It's a pretty good choice to show high school students too, since it's well faithful enough to the play but has fun visuals, an energetic pace, hunky boys, and you don't need to understand too much of the fancy talk to know what's going on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, you don't need the historical context to understand that biting your thumb at someone was a bad enough insult it could start a gun fight at a gas station :P

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

But when she says wherefore art though Romeo it’s like

Yo girl. Are you blind? He’s right there in front of you

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, you don't need the historical context to understand that biting your thumb at someone was a bad enough insult it could start a gun fight at a gas station :P

That exchange went viral briefly a couple of years ago and made me absurdly happy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Well yeah, she clearly hard blindness caused by lack of vitamin a. Not uncommon for the time. Possibly was coming down with scurvy as well.
If she didn't kill her self, she probably only had five month max anyway.
The real tragedy of the play is peoples lack of access to a good nutritious diet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

This is bait to get nerds to "well actually" about the meaning of "wherefore" and I refuse to fall for it yet again :colbert:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Neurolimal posted:

Exactly how much demand is there for "post-civil war scifi where we copy an anime", especially at the current time where Whedon projects may as well be radioactive.

Honestly a well done Firefly could be awesome. "Wild west sci-fi future" isn't exactly a super-overdone trope in mainstream cinema, so there could be a lot of fertile ground there.

But not with Joss Whedon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can't wait for The Nevers to be de-Whedon-ed, because it sounds like a fun concept but the premise and characters are so very Joss it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly a well done Firefly could be awesome. "Wild west sci-fi future" isn't exactly a super-overdone trope in mainstream cinema, so there could be a lot of fertile ground there.

But not with Joss Whedon.

Just do Trigun and Cowboy Bebop