Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I need to watch a picross for dummies, I just don’t get it even with a tutorial page on the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Walla posted:

Awesome thanks!. The most comfortable control scheme for Mario Kart is Wiimote and Nunchuk, no contest.

Have you tried one joycon in each hand?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/later-alligator

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never heard of later alligator, anyone want to fill me in?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is this Leisure Suite Larry but Alligators?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i watched the launc htrailer and it looks kinda cute and like it might be a point & click adventure (awesome!) and also like it might be a minigame collection (not awesome)

as much as i love point & click adventures, they're hard to do well so i am interested in what reviews have to say

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

glassyalabolas posted:

Is this Leisure Suite Larry but Alligators?

What can be greater than dating a gator?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Buy now, pay gator

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i watched the launc htrailer and it looks kinda cute and like it might be a point & click adventure (awesome!) and also like it might be a minigame collection (not awesome)

as much as i love point & click adventures, they're hard to do well so i am interested in what reviews have to say

it's more the latter than the former. you play as a private investigator hired by an incredibly paranoid young man/gator who thinks he's going to be clipped by someone in his very, very large extended family, and tasks you with going around the city to figure out who

the gameplay consists of traveling between locales and chatting up his family members, each of whom have their own minigame assigned to them. it's also on a clock, so you won't be able to hit up the entire family in one playthrough

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I'm liking Pokemon Snap so far. Only complaint so far is the music is super generic compared to the original. Pokemon games in general have been going towards a really sterile, corporate style where the presentation feels like promotional material for a shopping mall or laser eye clinic or something. I'm guessing the intent is to make Pokemon seem more "real" by presenting them in a more mundane, everyday fashion, or something like that.
Anyway they introduced a decent amount of new stuff like multiple versions of the stages where there's different arrangements of Pokemon, cataloging different behaviors for each Pokemon, different routes you can take through the stages, a quick scan that points out what Pokemon are in the area, quests for specific photos, etc. The presentation is very colorful and cute and has lots of little setpieces and animations to find. The Pokemon have tons of personality and it's cute to see stuff like Bidoof building a dam and swimming around carrying branches.
I've thought before that I like Pokemon for cataloging fantasy monsters more than I like battling them. The series goes out of its way to create a living fantasy ecosystem where the monsters fit in little niches and interact with each other as well as the environments and people of the world. So I like a game that is just that, observing and cataloging Pokemon in their natural habitat. It would be nice having a separate series or game mode even where you're a researcher or breeder rather than a trainer. It would be a nice idea for a new IP even, an undiscovered world full of strange creatures to discover and learn about.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Hades question, is there a benefit in creating bonds with NPC's? I gave Charon a bunch of gifts expecting a shop discount or something, but nope, all I got was his face in the gear he gave me, don't see immediate upgrade or anything.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

The important new addition is that in the Settings menu, if you go to the song choice for the Home/Puzzle screens, there's three new options at the very bottom: Random (vocals), Random (instrumental), and Random (vocal and instrumental).

This is amazing! Finally! Got sick of manually changing the music every few puzzles!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PacoPepe posted:

Hades question, is there a benefit in creating bonds with NPC's? I gave Charon a bunch of gifts expecting a shop discount or something, but nope, all I got was his face in the gear he gave me, don't see immediate upgrade or anything.

The benefit is that you're good buddies with Charon and get to see a bunch of extra dialogue.

There's one prophecy that requires a bunch of bonds, but I forget if Charon is among them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PacoPepe posted:

Try not to think about the game this way. The bonds you make further the very good story and that's half of the meat of the game.
It's a touch slow to open up but it will flesh out the characters and that's a lot of fun.

Charon doesn't talk but there is a special mechanic that opens up later.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Later Alligator is out on Steam and reviews are available. Seems to be well liked. Only thing to watch for will be porting issues.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Try not to think about the game this way. The bonds you make further the very good story and that's half of the meat of the game.
It's a touch slow to open up but it will flesh out the characters and that's a lot of fun.

Charon doesn't talk but there is a special mechanic that opens up later.

I see, more story is not bad at all.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Later Alligator is out on Steam and reviews are available. Seems to be well liked. Only thing to watch for will be porting issues.

I could not imagine the fly swatting or baby ghosts minigame being done with anything other than a mouse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Mudrunner sequel coming to Switch for anyone into that series:

https://youtu.be/lUBr4KYGX1M

PowerBeard posted:

I could not imagine the fly swatting or baby ghosts minigame being done with anything other than a mouse.
Wonder if there’s a way to connect the SNES mouse :v:

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

japtor posted:

Wonder if there’s a way to connect the SNES mouse :v:

SNES to Gamecube to Gamecube to Switch

I'm sure this would work and not be busted at all :thunk:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

Have you tried one joycon in each hand?

I have and it's ok. But I've been using the Wiimote and Nunchuk for nearly a decade now and I find it more ergonomic and comfortable.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
look at these crimpfs playing mario kart without tilt controls. pathetic

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Bleck posted:

crimpfs

Cool rad implacable mario playing friendly sailors?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

Splatfest 2021: Crimpfs vs. Covfefe

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bleck posted:

Only noobs need tilt. Git gud.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

dracky posted:

I'm liking Pokemon Snap so far. Only complaint so far is the music is super generic compared to the original. Pokemon games in general have been going towards a really sterile, corporate style where the presentation feels like promotional material for a shopping mall or laser eye clinic or something. I'm guessing the intent is to make Pokemon seem more "real" by presenting them in a more mundane, everyday fashion, or something like that.
Anyway they introduced a decent amount of new stuff like multiple versions of the stages where there's different arrangements of Pokemon, cataloging different behaviors for each Pokemon, different routes you can take through the stages, a quick scan that points out what Pokemon are in the area, quests for specific photos, etc. The presentation is very colorful and cute and has lots of little setpieces and animations to find. The Pokemon have tons of personality and it's cute to see stuff like Bidoof building a dam and swimming around carrying branches.
I've thought before that I like Pokemon for cataloging fantasy monsters more than I like battling them. The series goes out of its way to create a living fantasy ecosystem where the monsters fit in little niches and interact with each other as well as the environments and people of the world. So I like a game that is just that, observing and cataloging Pokemon in their natural habitat. It would be nice having a separate series or game mode even where you're a researcher or breeder rather than a trainer. It would be a nice idea for a new IP even, an undiscovered world full of strange creatures to discover and learn about.

Sold. This is the review I needed. I got the green-light to trade in Sword (my friend doesn't want to do the DLC, so bye bye Pokémon), and this is going to be reward.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

ive never heard of later alligator, anyone want to fill me in?

It's great. It's a sort of like a Professor Layton game but with a bunch of goofy minigames instead of matchstick puzzles, the writing is very good, and there are multiple endings-- you'll probably have to play through it a couple of times to get the true ending, but it's totally worth it and subsequent playthroughs take a lot less time than the first.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

if only I had 1 more point :negative:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Got to credits on New Pokemon Snap and I really want to jump back in to do all the side quest stuff. Having messed with the original at my friend's house when I was a kid, this felt like a nice upgrade. Though I'm pissed that some stuff is late game / post game unlocked, cause I definitely needed that stuff for certain maps.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Two random Mystery Dungeon/Roguelike games that I've been playing. The concept for these games is turn-based—when you move, enemies also move. You explore randomized dungeons populated in monsters and traps, hidden by Fog of War unless you have an item. Each floor you descend, the enemies get harder, but the rewards become greater. And every map you start from zero, and have to relearn abilities through leveling

Firstly, Yōdanji. The reward for winning is collecting playable Yokai... if you can ever collect 3 scrolls in a dungeon, which is arduous. You will have to retreat and be tactical in this game because enemy Yokai are often dangerous, while pushing forward to find items to recover your hunger. Not a lot to say about this one other than it's really hard. I've only descended beyond this dirt dungeon once (4th floor). The spritework is nice, if you took your time with this one you could get good and win, but you'll have to learn how best to conserve resources

Second one is void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium. This one is comfy. Unlike Yōdanji, ending a maze means you get to keep all your loot to keep a human Tamagotchi alive. There's lots of weapons and buffs in these mazes that make it visually stimulating, but it is ultimately the same premise. Avoid status hampering effects from traps, learn to retreat, and learn to conserve items. This one's set in the future so you're fighting robots and organics, which plays a role in how they fight. There is also Weather, and days that are contaminated which can lead to corrupt monsters and items, with more unwieldly status effects. Since you're taking care of a human, you will have to preserve safe uncontaminated food for her and improve her living circumstance, so that she'll have more health, and you can take on longer mazes

What's nice about both of these games is you can turn off the soundtrack independent from the SFX (although I do like void tRrLM(); music) and play your own. I like taking tracks from The Dungeon Synth Archives and underlaying them with the game, since the maps are going to get repetitive as you go for a high score. I never really tried this genre but I like how you can put down the controller

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How are Turnip Boy and Everhood?

I tried Bug Fables last week and totally fell in love with it thanks to someone bringing it up here

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm 10 minutes into turnip boy and it's 5/5 so far.

Pairs well with that beat em up posted earlier where you liberate the plebs

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

But I play FPS games on my PC with a controller...? :shrug:

Slightly off topic but I grew up with Doom on DOS and the only control scheme I knew for a long time was arrow keys for movement, and CTRL for shooting. Years later when my friend was getting me into Quake he showed me WASD + mouse and I was like, that’s stupid no one is going to use that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LuckyCat posted:

Slightly off topic but I grew up with Doom on DOS and the only control scheme I knew for a long time was arrow keys for movement, and CTRL for shooting. Years later when my friend was getting me into Quake he showed me WASD + mouse and I was like, that’s stupid no one is going to use that.

I was still playing Q3A and UT99 with keyboard

somehow

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was still playing Q3A and UT99 with keyboard

somehow

I remember playing Quake 2 in high school during homeroom (god bless inept 90s IT) and so many people didn't use the mouse that you'd run around crouching and just not get hit by those people. I wasn't bit on mouse aim at first then tried it and realized "oh wow DOOM and Ultimate Underworld would've been so much better if I could've actually aimed."

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

From a few pages back, but I want to see a world where BOTW2 combines this with the original's idea to pull Miis from the console for NPCs

Imagine getting a quest from Mr. Clean or Steve

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the best RPG on the switch that isn't super popular? Anything that's ONLY on the switch?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the best RPG on the switch that isn't super popular? Anything that's ONLY on the switch?

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but Golf Story is the only thing that comes to mind right away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i don't know about best but Lucah: Born of a Dream is hardly ever talked about and a neat action-rpg that runs perfectly fine on the console

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anything that's ONLY on the switch?

The Moon rerelease is great, although despite being about rpgs it's really more of an adventure game.

Not switch-exclusive, but Wuppo Definitive Edition is pretty neat, and I don't think I've seen anyone talking about it. Sort of reminiscent of Super Paper Mario without the 3d bits, it's an RPG platformer with tons of NPCs and sidequests and little details in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

dracky posted:

I agree with this. I still really like the Pokemon series, but the battles can be tedious. Like you said, observing/cataloging is cool, and I bet they could make a fun spinoff centered around that (but still having the towns, shops, and other role-playing aspects). Or, maybe just replace battles with a fast-paced puzzle, like a Pokemon Puzzle League RPG. Or Pokemon Pinball RPG.