Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Fresh service has a built in asset management thing that was perfectly serviceable when I used it.

Snipe-IT is also good but doesn’t integrate with anything that I’m aware of

Good to hear. We're in kind of an awkward spot where our current ticketing sucks and the asset management is terrible, but we are hoping to do use the asset management piece to get us to a better ticketing system. So a 3rd party asset management tool that we can use now, then switching to a new ticketing system that integrates is kind of the plan. Frustrating, but that's the path we'll have to take as engineers to get any movement.

bobmarleysghost posted:

We use Snipe-IT here, it's pretty good.

It has an API that you could use to integrate it with stuff.

I introduced it and it was what finally convinced my boss that we didn't need to name computers with the current employee's name and instead use an anonymous identifier with a prefix.

1st level tech is happy they don't need to rename computers when a computer is reassigned.

Yeah, we're not going to be able to develop our own integrations with their API. Just not quite there.

Definitely looking forward to leaving the whole renaming thing behind! We already have primary devices as a concept with Endpoint Manager, but alas. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have never seen asset management handled better than a spreadsheet. Every ticket system implementation of this has been garbage.

I feel like azure ad does better at telling me what computer a person really uses for a workstation.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Snipe IT is basically a souped spreadsheet.
It works really well for us.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My hot take on asset management.

If there's no integration with what ever place you buy your laptops from, your asset management is nothing more than a spreadsheet with management and compute overhead attached.

This is from the idiot who started snipeIT at his company and forgot that he'd be the one maintaining any such thing and regrets it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

I have never seen asset management handled better than a spreadsheet. Every ticket system implementation of this has been garbage.

I feel like azure ad does better at telling me what computer a person really uses for a workstation.

Microsoft is sorta loving it up by not recording smbios asset data in AAD/intune. If it did so most people would jettison sccm into the sun along most of their ghetto asset management setups

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Microsoft is sorta loving it up by not recording smbios asset data in AAD/intune. If it did so most people would jettison sccm into the sun along most of their ghetto asset management setups

It's stuff like this that really makes me wonder how long it's going to take to get a full "modern" solution out of Microsoft.

Me and my hybrid Exchange server aren't getting any younger!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing like patching your hybrid exchange server every other god drat week due to flaws the NSA finds.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re: freshservice

The asset management tool has an agent that you can deploy on your workstations to automatically register them and update information about them. They also have an ad import tool that will let you update both users and computers from ad.

One that that I really liked from freshservice was the change management integration. You can add some infrastructure pieces and/or services as “assets” link them together and you can have it automatically surface that information in the ticket.

Re: snipe-it

Before we went with freshservice I did a poc where we did an api call as an mdt task to automatically register or update a workstation when it was getting deployed. It looked quite promising.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

RE: Asset management
Asset management is not about what IS, it is all about what is Supposed To Be.

Also integrating with at minimum regular reports from wherever you source your hardware is absolutely mandatory. These reports must include PO#s, Serial Numbers, Purchase Date, and Model (Preferably as a unique Manufacturer Part Number or something of the sort. Asset Management must then be integrated into your hardware processes. Assign computer to User, Update ITAM. Recover Computer, Update in ITAM. Aside from a handful of exceptions (e.g. a workstation installed inside a grain silo) I've not found super detailed locations to be useful. The Assigned User is usually enough throat to choke.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My Ceo just took on a 800K retention bonus 2 weeks after riffing 5% of the nurses. Its not public, but its been leaked internally.

Never EVER feel like you should be loyal to a company.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

My Ceo just took on a 800K retention bonus 2 weeks after riffing 5% of the nurses. Its not public, but its been leaked internally.

:guillotine:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Well new tech support guy started today so we’re getting him trained on everything.

Also my most senior tech support guy handed in his notice to me today, so I guess I’m back on the hiring train. RIP me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm liking KACE for asset management. Load the agent on everything, it talks to the server daily and keeps your listing up to date. I can also target PowerShell scripts and push security patches with it. We aren't using the help desk module, but it's there. If you're starting from an infrastructure of "maybe Active Directory" it'll cover a lot of bases for you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quest is a real pain in the rear end to do business with since Dell sold them. My opinion is to avoid dealing with that company if possible which is a shame because their software isn’t bad.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skipdogg posted:

Quest is a real pain in the rear end to do business with since Dell sold them. My opinion is to avoid dealing with that company if possible which is a shame because their software isn’t bad.

That reminds me to follow up on some pro services work I want done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I installed wireshark and also looked at the traffic in the firewall. The data I got in the firewall traffic monitor was very sparse, only showed a few outgoing calls from my workstation to the host I was trying to connect to, and saying it was allowed. Got a lot more back and forth in wireshark, but I don't really know how to interpret that. The firewall on my side was not denying anything however that I could see wrt traffic. Same when I tried it on my phone, mostly just shows it accepting or denying traffic and it was allowing all I could see.

Figured it out (not me, the guy on the other side), our firewall is blocking UDP he says, despite it being set to allow UDP through (and in the traffic monitor I didn't see any mention of any blocked traffic, this is a watchguard btw). Turning off UDP for the application and forcing it to use TCP only makes it work. Weird...

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

holtemon posted:

New ticket: my Outlook keeps freezing!

Remote in and see 40 Excel applications running. No exaggeration, 40 different instances of Excel.

Me: "You could close some of those Excel sheets out so other programs will stop freezing..."

Them: "NO I need them all"

What am I supposed to do here??

this was the worst user at my old job. we never solved it. very long drawn out story in 15 years shes the only person i ever went to HR about because of how she talked to my team, her refusal to cooperate, etc. For her it was Chrome tabs, she'd have hundreds open & complain her work laptop was slow, hot, and got bad battery life (!)

I don't have any advice. On my last day I actually CCed her boss (she was literally whining about something on my last day) and said "Sorry to put you in an awkward spot, but <employee> has treated my team like garbage for years and I'm tired of it."

Soooo get a new job and do that :D

edit: Another belated congrats because I think i missed a few offer letters on the last page :woop: what a market right now

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bus hustler posted:

edit: Another belated congrats because I think i missed a few offer letters on the last page :woop: what a market right now

I’m in a really annoying spot of being less than a year out from being fully vested. I walked away from the match at the last place because I wanted out bad, I’m not doing that again. This is overall a great place to work, but I’m not sure that I’ll be here much longer. Sometimes you just outgrow a place.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It's hard to read the markets but I'd suspect it's pretty good for a while, some places aren't declaring 'back to normal' until july/august

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I thought I was so far over my head but here I am explaining to the head of our IT department that “read and execute” file permissions are not the same as read write execute.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

This is correct. Your company is not your family. Your co-workers are not your family. If they need to cut you loose onto the street they will.

I've worked a lot of places and only a few companies actually cared about their employees, and even those places had limits. They still wouldnt hesitate to cut a job if it effected their bottom line.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I need to get paid more. How do I approach this with my boss out of the blue (when it's not performance review time since we didn't have that this year).
I guess I already know the answer - get another job offer.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

I need to get paid more. How do I approach this with my boss out of the blue (when it's not performance review time since we didn't have that this year).

Correct, and either take said offer or use it as leverage

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yup, it sucks, but to get a big raise you have to jump jobs. In the past internal promotions for me were usually in the range of 8 to 10%, where switching jobs might get you 15 to 20% or more. I got 25% more base when I started a new job earlier this year.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Trip report

Just done with round 3. Met most of the actual team today and they threw more questions at me, didn't get them all 100% correct but i think that is fine. I did crunch over the weekend and got the basic aws cloud practitioner cert since they will be using aws going forward and threw that grenade in their laps starting out when they asked how my day was going. don't know if i have the job locked in but didn't completely embarrass myself.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

Depending on the place they may hold you shopping around against you. I just take the new job and leave the old one behind if they refuse to work with me on salary or promotions.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've worked a lot of places and only a few companies actually cared about their employees, and even those places had limits. They still wouldnt hesitate to cut a job if it effected their bottom line.

One of the things I absolutely love about my new job is that everyone is extremely competent, and they generally do take care of their employees (pay is good, people stay a long time, it's not a place you walk in off the street to work etc)... but everyone here is just here to do a job.

They're here to make money. For themselves, and for the business. Nobody treats it like life or death, or like their work is some sort of Important Project. Everyone has a great sense of perspective, which I didn't realize was going to be such a breath of fresh air coming from way-too-self-important academia.

If people can do their jobs from home? Great, they do it from home. If something isn't working, they understand it's a failure of a system/process, not a personal affront.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I too enjoy working with responsible and professional adults

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Reddit is down.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The Fool posted:

I too enjoy working with responsible and professional adults

ive been working since i was 14 and this is the first time

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, seriously. Might get murdered for your pod if you speak up too loudly.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

bus hustler posted:

One of the things I absolutely love about my new job is that everyone is extremely competent, and they generally do take care of their employees (pay is good, people stay a long time, it's not a place you walk in off the street to work etc)... but everyone here is just here to do a job.

They're here to make money. For themselves, and for the business. Nobody treats it like life or death, or like their work is some sort of Important Project. Everyone has a great sense of perspective, which I didn't realize was going to be such a breath of fresh air coming from way-too-self-important academia.

If people can do their jobs from home? Great, they do it from home. If something isn't working, they understand it's a failure of a system/process, not a personal affront.

That’s how I feel like coming from the military. There isn’t such thing as managers with zero interpersonal skills or people who with enough seniority entirely bullshitting their way through their career as obviously.

Obviously it’s not perfect but holy poo poo was competence at your actual job a rare thing in the Navy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s how I feel like coming from the military. There isn’t such thing as managers with zero interpersonal skills or people who with enough seniority entirely bullshitting their way through their career as obviously.

Obviously it’s not perfect but holy poo poo was competence at your actual job a rare thing in the Navy.

So you were in 7th fleet, eh? :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I mean a lot of what bureaucracy does is build and support systems that do complex things in such a way that they are broken down into a thousand discrete and simple tasks that even an idiot can do, because when you have a big org you absolutely cannot rely on the person executing a task being highly competent.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When did the word kruft start becoming so popular. Never heard it until 2 months ago now everyone is saying it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

When did the word kruft start becoming so popular. Never heard it until 2 months ago now everyone is saying it.

It's time for some SPRING CLEANING! *jazz hands*

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

bobmarleysghost posted:

At my current place I got a 10k raise by mentioning that I was looking for one at my review based on my expanded skill set. My largest raise at this job came from them countering an external offer, which was 50k.

Looking back it’s pretty crazy that my salary a little more than doubled from the 65k I started at in 5 years.

I know my company will shift around anniversary/review dates if you warrant a significant raise like this in order to get it to you sooner/meet a demand. I’m not sure why that is aside from weird internal protocol stuff.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea, I'll start prepping the old resume then.
I'm also see about asking for a review just in case.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sepist posted:

Cruft is pretty old, dating back to the 60's. I remember encountering it in the computer world in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

:yotj: 15k bump plus 15% bonus for having the balls to apply somewhere I never thought would employ me. Apparently good foundational skills are good anywhere.

Embrace the inner Imposter.