Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering one of Disney's first acts was to streamline the Canon by razing everything except the movies and Clone Wars, I doubt alternate timeline stuff is in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Disney has to know that there is probably a ton of fan demand for officially available versions of the non-special editions of the original trilogy. Putting those out would probably sell well on disc or get attract some D+ subscribers. Either there is a reason they can't put them out or they're sitting on them until what they think is the right time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re definitely sitting on them till the time is right. They’re not dumb, they’re just being strategic about it to maximize the impact and subscriptions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sombrerotron posted:

Still, you're most likely right and Disney can do whatever the hell they like with the IP now, no strings attached. Maybe they'll start making alternative timeline films based on the old EU, starting with the fine work of the most honourable Kevin J. Anderson? :unsmigghh:

Part of me wishes they went back and made alternative timeline movies like that, just to piss off fans who were pissed they didn't just adapt the EU the first time around.

Disney: "Fans, we have heard you. We are going to mine the EU you know and love to make movies out of the treasured Star Wars stories of your past!"
Fans: "Yay!!!"
Disney: "And so, coming Christmas 2022, the first movie of a brand new trilogy based on a beloved book series, may we present...Before the Storm!"
Fans: "...NO!!!!"
Disney: "Wait, don't go! I didn't get to tell you about Children of the Jedi: A Star Wars Story!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re definitely sitting on them till the time is right. They’re not dumb, they’re just being strategic about it to maximize the impact and subscriptions.

Yeah, these are the guys who invented the "Disney Vault" for their animated movies, to great success. It's this.

I still find the concept of the "Disney Vault" hilarious. They'd actually run commercials telling people to buy a movie before it goes "back in the vault", as if they had no control over it. They were holding their own movie hostage, like the sheriff in Blazing Saddles, and it worked wonderfully.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would like them to at least put out ebook versions of the old timeline novels so i could re-read the x-wing series

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

site posted:

i would like them to at least put out ebook versions of the old timeline novels so i could re-read the x-wing series

What format are you looking for? Because here's the whole X-Wing series for Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CGK5CT?ref_=dbs_p_mng_rwt_ser_shvlr&storeType=ebooks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
christ, for 85 bucks i might as well go to the used bookstore

maybe they've been filez'd somewhere...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

site posted:

christ, for 85 bucks i might as well go to the used bookstore

maybe they've been filez'd somewhere...

Well, I mean yeah, it is 10 books, so it's gonna add up.

Your local library might have a partnership through something like Overdrive you can check with. I "borrow" a ton of ebooks through that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you say that like charging 8 bucks for a 2mb file of a 25yo book isn't robbery

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

site posted:

Look, I don't set the price. You said you wished they had ebooks of them, I pointed out that they exist. Check with your library. Most libraries have modernized way more than people realize.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

site posted:

Ooh, are we about to relitigate "should authors be compensated for their work" again?

E: that said, with Allston no longer with us, that kinda neuters that argument for 5 of the 10

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 12, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would be much more okay with sending a dead guy 4 bucks than giving amazon 3, disney 4, and the dead guy 1

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Disney: "Wait, don't go! I didn't get to tell you about Children of the Jedi: A Star Wars Story!"

My eye just started twitching uncontrollably.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

thrawn527 posted:

Part of me wishes they went back and made alternative timeline movies like that, just to piss off fans who were pissed they didn't just adapt the EU the first time around.

Disney: "Fans, we have heard you. We are going to mine the EU you know and love to make movies out of the treasured Star Wars stories of your past!"
Fans: "Yay!!!"
Disney: "And so, coming Christmas 2022, the first movie of a brand new trilogy based on a beloved book series, may we present...Before the Storm!"
Fans: "...NO!!!!"

Give me Mofference: The Series of give me Death

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Moff is an extremely underused title. How many decades did we go with literally no new Moffs?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Give me Mofference: The Series of give me Death

The merch opportunities are right there

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

You can be the owner of something and still be contractually bound in some way regarding its use. That contractual obligation would technically be separate from your property rights, and any claim from that other party would specifically arise from a breach of contract rather than some violation of said property rights. It may even be possible to set up a transfer of ownership in a way that the next party to become owner will be bound by such contractual obligations, for example when a municipality sells off real estate but wants to permanently restrict what its owners will do with it, or even to require them to perform certain actions.

This is why, for example, The 700 Club has aired continuously on cable since 1977 on the channel currently known as Freeform, through five rebrandings and two corporate purchases/acquisitions. Contractual obligations really don't end at the transfer of ownership.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

Moff is an extremely underused title. How many decades did we go with literally no new Moffs?

Too many.

McSpanky posted:

This is why, for example, The 700 Club has aired continuously on cable since 1977 on the channel currently known as Freeform, through five rebrandings and two corporate purchases/acquisitions. Contractual obligations really don't end at the transfer of ownership.

Hmm, this is an interestingly relevant example, because the owner of Freeform (and it's various rebranded names) since 2001 is...Disney.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Second Battle of Geonosis arc (minus the brain worm zombie episodes) plus The Wrong Jedi arc should have been the movie for The Clone Wars, but I'm judging by five out of seven seasons. The ending was as sad as the beginning of Up

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I go back and watch that 4-episode The Wrong Jedi arc probably every six months or so, it's so good.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

One of the Black Series figures dropped a massive spoiler for Bad Batch, so keep an eye out for that if you're trying to avoid series spoilers

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Vinylshadow posted:

One of the Black Series figures dropped a massive spoiler for Bad Batch, so keep an eye out for that if you're trying to avoid series spoilers

The only thing I can think of is that Echo is part of the Bad Batch, which isn't a spoiler. He joined in S7 of the clone wars series, and has been in all the trailers

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

The only thing I can think of is that Echo is part of the Bad Batch, which isn't a spoiler. He joined in S7 of the clone wars series, and has been in all the trailers

The spoiler is crosshair stays loyal to the empire after order 66 is called

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

The spoiler is crosshair stays loyal to the empire after order 66 is called

Wasn't that in the trailer?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

Wasn't that in the trailer?

It was speculated but now there is conformation.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Parts of the sixth season really dragged on because they were leaning too hard on foreshadowing Revenge of the Sith, like the prequel equivalent of a mystery box. They liked the "gone mad from being alone so long" trope, between Maul, Assistant Silas, and Yoda's dark side, the last of which was the most explicit Gollum reference. I enjoyed the Clovis two-parter, the Sifo-Dyas episode, and the Mace Windu/Jar Jar teamup the most. In the seventh season, Trace and Raffa were really good characters. That arc makes their galaxy feel much larger again, like Ahsoka's like the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man of Jedi. There are some parallels between the Jedi and a spiritually rotten church, such as Raffa's story about Master Unduli telling orphans that she won't help them because "the Force will be with them", the laying of hands on Yoda, etc.

I watched the "Siege of Mandalore Cut" of Revenge of the Sith by NumeralJ, which merges material from the last part of Genndy Tartovsky's series and the series finale of Clone Wars. I think it could use two or three less scene switches at the beginning, as in have more of the Genndy content with Shaak-Ti, Yoda, and Mace at the beginning, enough for you to know what happened when Mace reports via hologram that he's lost contact with Shaak-Ti. From then on, the scene switches occur after Maul says something ominous, and that works very well. The scene switches during Order 66 and afterward are absolutely incredible.

I like the moment where the Ithorian keeps pressing the elevator button, and when Ahsoka tells Obi-Wan off about prioritizing protecting the Chancellor above protecting the Republic's people. The cut also puts back as many deleted scenes as it can, omitting the ones that contradict the rest of the movie. Many of these scenes add to the movie:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-revenge-sith-deleted-scenes-chronological-order/

At first, when Palpatine asks why Anakin hasn't been been appointed to the council, he says "oh, I'm too young. My time will come," and then he's convinced at the point where Palpatine says they fear his power and want to control it. It's a smoother transition from Clone Wars Anakin.

At the point where the Council, through Obi-Wan, asked Anakin to spy on the Chancellor and report back what he says, instead they all should've realized, like Bail Organa, that the Republic was already over. If they had all stopped fighting for the Republic instead of doing something that was technically illegal, they would've been separated from the clones. They'd have had a head-start on Order 66 because hunting them down instead would've given word time to get out. The time to do that was a lot earlier, for the reasons Ahsoka said, but that moment was the due date. It might have been their only way to do it, but it almost seems like a contradiction they trusted Anakin enough to ask him spy on the Chancellor, but not enough to have him in on plotting the coup.

The deleted scenes with Padme are really starting to explain why Anakin thought Padme betrayed him, which seemed very sudden in the original cut. The group of senators including Padme and Bail Organa, covering 2,000 systems, was already organizing to form the Rebel Alliance, and they swore Padme to absolute secrecy on it after she had just finished responding to him having a vision he was hesitant to share by telling him there should be no more secrets between them. When the group meets with Palpatine to try to get him to try diplomacy again, with Anakin present and after the group leaves, Palpatine says that he senses betrayal in Padme and he refuses to admit it. I wasn't paying enough attention when this was in theaters to notice that Obi-Wan got there by being a stowaway, or I didn't remember, and Anakin using force choking throughout the Clone Wars series for torture and having every single one of his victims live makes it more ambiguous whether in that moment he meant to kill her, so it feels a lot less out-of-nowhere than the first time.

It's sad that Ahsoka gave into spite when Mace Windu told Ahsoka "move along, citizen" and didn't relay her message to Anakin through Yoda anyway. Rex's single tear retroactively makes Tup's face mask foreshadowing, and his saving Ahsoka was a great way to end the series.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 29, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

galenanorth posted:

The deleted scenes with Padme are really starting to explain why Anakin thought Padme betrayed him, which seemed very sudden in the original cut. The group of senators including Padme and Bail Organa, covering 2,000 systems, was already organizing to form the Rebel Alliance, and they swore Padme to absolute secrecy on it after she had just finished responding to him having a vision he was hesitant to share by telling him there should be no more secrets between them. When the group meets with Palpatine to try to get him to try diplomacy again, with Anakin present and after the group leaves, Palpatine says that he senses betrayal in Padme and he refuses to admit it. I wasn't paying enough attention when this was in theaters to notice that Obi-Wan got there by being a stowaway, or I didn't remember, and Anakin using force choking throughout the Clone Wars series for torture and having every single one of his victims live makes it more ambiguous whether in that moment he meant to kill her, so it feels a lot less out-of-nowhere than the first time.

Honestly his control was so flaky I didn't feel terribly shocked he would strangle her on pure suspicion without any prior priming of that pump as happened in the theatrical (especially since there was probably a part deep inside him telling him she SHOULD be turning on him for what he'd done). Probably didn't help I think Obi-Wan came in ready to fight Anakin rather than redeem him really; their discussion felt more like Obi-Wan calling him out than trying to get through to Anakin, and I expect sensing an Obi-Wan who's prepared himself to kill his best friend would make him conclude Padme had brought Obi-Wan deliberately to do just that. I do rather regret losing the "Padme helps form the Rebellion" part of that though, it gives her much more to do than be Pregnant and Sad in the movie.

quote:

It's sad that Ahsoka gave into spite when Mace Windu told Ahsoka "move along, citizen" and didn't relay her message to Anakin through Yoda anyway.

I suspect the real issue wasn't spite but distrust of the Jedi; why put the idea in their heads that Anakin might be tempted by darkness and watch the Jedi yet again turn on him for what (she felt) were spurious reasons? Considering she witnessed quite a bit of the Council distrusting Anakin if memory serves, I can't blame her for deciding they would do more harm than good, especially when they were giving her so much crap at the time. Really I put this one on the Council and Mace in particular; you feed out distrust and (let's be honest) borderline hatred to someone, you get those back. I really wonder if Mace was getting significantly overwhelmed by the Dark Side by the end; not really enough to fall, but enough to wreck everything a lifetime devoted to peace should have told him about handling the situation the Republic was in. He definitely seemed to lack any of the diplomacy and compassion a Master Jedi should have by the time of Revenge of the Sith.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Bad Batch drops tonight at 2AM CT, a 70 minute premiere episode. I hated their CW arc, but early impressions from Twitter have been pretty positive and the trailers look good so we’ll see.

They’re also doing special fan art banners for the movies on D+ for May 4th and Twitter loves them, but uhhhhh

https://twitter.com/crerrity/status/1389234374135226369?s=20

That AOTC one looks like a Mad Magazine cover. I get fans wanting to lift up other fans and their work, but these are (mostly) bad.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I stopped watching the animated Star Wars around season 2 or 3 of The Clone Wars, and never got to Rebels or anything else. Can someone give a tl;dr of important things to know about these characters?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

I stopped watching the animated Star Wars around season 2 or 3 of The Clone Wars, and never got to Rebels or anything else. Can someone give a tl;dr of important things to know about these characters?

They’re pretty cool and you should just watch the two or three episodes they’re in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

pik_d posted:

Ya here's a TL;DR for you:

Finish watching Clone Wars and Rebels you fuckin lazy rear end. What else do you have to do during lockdown? Their episodes are short and you could rapid-fire them in no time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That feel when no Garm Bel Iblis in these Make The Rebellion scenes :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pik_d posted:

They're the A-Team of clone troopers. Basically when they were made they had defective flaws that separated them from normal clones. But unlike the janitor clone whose defects caused him to age too rapidly, these defects made these guys more badass in different ways so they became a special unit of misfits who kick rear end and take names.

I don't remember each of their characteristics because I honestly didn't care for their arc in the Clone Wars cartoon, but they seem to fit the usual sort of military gung-ho super trooper tropes. I think one of them looks like Solid Snake or something.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Hunter, the leader, can sense electromagnetic radiation in a way that lets him have a map in his head. He's the one with a bandana like Solid Snake.
Wrecker has super-strength, hates stealth, likes destroying things, and pretends not to be afraid of anything while being afraid of heights.
Crosshair is a sniper and expert marksman with a British accent.
Tech is super-intelligent, good with computers, talks with an annoying "well, actually" "know-it-all" voice.
Echo is a cyborg who was formerly a POW, hooked into Separatist computer systems so strategist droids could use his brain to predict clone trooper movements. He interfaces with sockets to electronic devices like how RD-D2 overrides the elevator in Revenge of the Sith. He was part of Domino Squad from one of the first Clone Wars episodes and served under Anakin.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 3, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hunter leads.
Tech does machines.
Crosshair is cool, but rude.
Wrecker is a party dude.

Echo was added later and is known as the fifth Bad Batcher. He has a separate origin from the others.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teek posted:

Hunter leads.
Tech does machines.
Crosshair is cool, but rude.
Wrecker is a party dude.

Echo was added later and is known as the fifth Bad Batcher. He has a separate origin from the others.

This is how you explain any team.

Cyclops leads
beast does machines
Wolverine is cool but rude
Gambit is a party dude.

And then you have the girl. I guess Echo is the girl of the bad batch?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s Omega, the new kid character introduced in the premiere. She’s presumably a female Jango clone.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

female Jango clone.

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive