Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Insurance fraud is neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nitr0 posted:

Insurance fraud is neat

Rip local music venue near me that mysteriously burned down when the owner was denied the permit to bulldoze it to the ground due to its age

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I mean I guess you’re saying that it’s justified because this poster has tried nothing and is out of warranty?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was being facetious.

(It actually happened though, some years back.)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

always exploit corporations

it is always morally correct

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

polyester concept posted:

always exploit corporations

it is always morally correct

Won't somebody please think of the poor insurance company

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scudworth posted:

One of my uncles worked for London Life for decades, and uh... nah.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scudworth posted:

I do think about insurance companies, and invariably the thought is "gently caress those assholes."

Oddly enough, it's the same thought that comes to mind when I think about banks and telecoms in Canada.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 14, 2021

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I briefly worked at Economical (as a co-op working on software a decade ago) and what struck me was how inefficient, incompetent and yet stuck up their own rear end the whole organization seemed to be. I did learn that Ontario Personal Auto was by far the #1 source of fraud among all their products by a huge margin. I know a fraud investigator at Aviva and ooo-boy, the things some folks get up to. There are entire schemes to extract tens, hundreds of thousands of dollars from insurers in systematic ways.

Anyhow, it's the $400 deductible that keeps that policy profitable, not people's aversion to lying about the cause of the loss. Insurers suck, if it works in your favour to say "oops I dropped it" and make a claim, go for it. Just don't try to do it with amounts they'll miss.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Rip local music venue near me that mysteriously burned down when the owner was denied the permit to bulldoze it to the ground due to its age

RIP everyone who lived near that place that just got exposed to asbestos and maybe lead

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nitr0 posted:

Insurance fraud is neat

It loving is. drat good point.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Cocaine Bear posted:

It loving is. drat good point.

:doit:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said the firms must offer wholesale wireless access to so-called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs), smaller outfits that can then resell the capacity at reduced retail prices and pass on the savings to consumers.

The ruling appeared to be a victory for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government, which in March 2020 ordered the firms to bring down cellphone bills by 25% or face the consequences.

But in a concession to the majors, the CRTC said only MVNOs with infrastructure of their own would be eligible. The access agreements will expire after seven years.

The big three - BCE Inc, Telus Corp, and Rogers Communications Inc - complain that the smaller MVNOs do not help build the expensive infrastructure needed to ensure service in what is the world’s second largest nation.

No one was immediately available for comment at the three firms, which together control 89.2% of telecoms subscribers and 90.7% of the revenue. They argue Ottawa is working with outdated information and insist their prices are competitive.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Won't someone please think of the Big 3 (definitely not colluding) Telecoms with 90% market share!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

This doesn't fully open the door for pure MVNOs, only regional operators that already own wireless infrastructure in Canada.

It is still a good first step.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've seen some comments saying that this is lubing us up for the rogers/shaw merger

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Why cant we mint a new a new crop of Dave Wireless, Mobilicity and Public Mobile loser-tier carriers every 4 years and let them be gobbled up as normal and just restock the lake telecoms over and over like we do with fish stocks?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

The big three - BCE Inc, Telus Corp, and Rogers Communications Inc - complain that the smaller MVNOs do not help build the expensive infrastructure needed to ensure service in what is the world’s second largest nation.

Sounds like a good argument to nationalize the carriers to me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dave Wireless's not here man

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

what are the odds this outage gets used by rogers as an excuse to jack up prices because ~~infrastructure~~

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Someone out there obviously lied about rebooting their pc and modem when Rogers tech support ask them to. Ruining it for the rest of us.

I hope they track that bastard down.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I finally got the motivation to do my goddamn taxes and the CRA has to text me a 2FA code which I can't get until this poo poo is resolved. urghhhhh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/a-message-from-jorge-fernandes-chief-technology-officer-at-rogers/

quote:

We have identified the root cause of the service issues and pinpointed a recent Ericsson software update that affected a piece of equipment in the central part of our wireless network. That led to intermittent congestion and service impacts for many customers across the country.

I'm feeling really good our infrastructure right now. A software update from a foreign company on a single piece of equipment brought down Roger's entire cellar network. It's just that easy.

Now the Swedes know they can cripple our telecommunications any time they want. :argh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/a-message-from-jorge-fernandes-chief-technology-officer-at-rogers/

I'm feeling really good our infrastructure right now. A software update from a foreign company on a single piece of equipment brought down Roger's entire cellar network. It's just that easy.

Now the Swedes know they can cripple our telecommunications any time they want. :argh:

Well now we just gotta second source from huawei I guess, you guys don’t want more outages do you?!?!?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Mercifully, service has been restored for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I wonder what Telus did differently, I didn't even know there was an outage for some people.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder what Telus did differently, I didn't even know there was an outage for some people.

The Huawei firmware spyware underwent additional QA before being released by the company.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Facetious posted:

Millions of people tried to call and tell you about the outage, but they couldn't because of the outage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:imunfunny:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I love the "this country is just too drat large" argument, service outside of Canada's 10 largest cities is loving awful so how much are you really spending on the infrastructure in Smeaton, Saskatchewan?

urf
Jul 12, 2009
A friend of mine is having difficulty with freedom mobile, they sold her a lemon of a phone (moto edge+ with major ghosting issues and turns the screen into a strobe light after long enough use) and according to the wireless code she's entitled to be able to return the phone within 30 days as a person with a disability.

But the store has refused to process her refund and also refuses to get in contact with freedom mobile corporate who has told her that she should be able to return the phone.

She just got told that it's going to take about a week or so to process the complaint through freedom but by then the 30-day period is going to have expired.

This is really stressing her out and she's wondering what her options are. Is pursuing the complaint through freedom worth it? Should file something with the CRTC? Credit card charge back?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Go straight here and file a complaint. Include the detail of the store address, the date, exactly what they told her. CCTS complaint is the only thing that carriers bother to follow through with.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/cprstccts.htm

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

First Rogers had a day long outage, now Distributel is trying to match it.

Their entire phone network cross Canada has been down since around 10am. (although it's mostly voip, so that really doesn't mean much).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gently caress bell. Really.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-customer-deal-recording-data-1.6004451

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pretty much exactly what my dealings with Shaw were like. Cancelling felt real good. Looking forward to experiencing similarly terrible customer service from Telus in a couple years and repeating the cycle all over again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gonna death grip my unicorn plan until Telus shuts down Public Mobile out of sheer spite.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Gonna death grip my unicorn plan until Telus shuts down Public Mobile out of sheer spite.

I mean they tried to do this a bit ago before public backlash made them cancel it

I think someone in legal really hosed up making a lifetime pricing deal for that bad boy. Tons of marketting for it as a "we will never change the price" plan....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I remember that, that's why I said they would shut down the entire reseller just to get us remaining few.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Recording all of your interactions with telecoms is a big-brain move we should all emulate ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a full price bill from fido take out of my autopay after switching to shaw and I was girding myself for a hell of calling in to wrestle a refund and a cheque just showed up with the remainder after pro-rating in the billing cycle! I was very surprised.

Between this and getting automatic refunds for an air canada flight cancelled due to covid (although I did have to wait a year) it has been pretty good.

Was there a legislative change that forces the telcoms to give refunds because a couple decades ago I switched off of Rogers with about $50 overpaid and it was a devil of a time getting them to cut me a cheque.