Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Whenever I wonder how anyone could possibly think Donald Trump was a competent president and a loving husband, I remember that Star Citizen is still going strong.

Given enough momentum, any product, be it a racist shitbag or a non-existent game, can enjoy blind faith and devotion. As to why, I cannot say.

Undiagnosed mental illness and lead poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Biplane posted:

Undiagnosed mental illness and lead poisoning.

Yeah. It kind of de-mystifies the whole phenomenon when you find out, but yeah. It's lead poisoning and/or mental illness.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
What a stupid loving title. It's like what the onion would come up with to poke fun at mmo players. Star citizen Lmao

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe it sounded cooler nine years ago

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

You guys are gonna have to explain to me why flying my ship straight on for 15 minutes is "challenging" posted:

Because I think we're collectively losing our minds.

This isn't even about the bounty hunting change. I just want people to qualify why they think pointing my ship in a particular direction with cruise control for 15 minutes is substantial gameplay, or somehow adding to the challenge.

Genuinely, I don't get it, and apparently I'm in the minority, so I'm really trying to figure this out here - what the hell are you people doing for those 15 minutes of flying in a straight line from the nearest OM point to whereever it is you're going? Is there some hidden difficulty I'm not experiencing? Does the ship slowly veer left like in Desert Bus? Do I have to constantly adjust my attitude like I have to adjust my trim in DCS?

Explain to me. Because right now, my experience is just exiting QT, lining up the ship to where I want to go, engage cruise control, and literally go watch netflix.

quote:

What you and everyone else making these posts are ignoring is the fact this is Alpha...

No seriously.. I know it's an over used response, but holy crap is 100% correct in this situation..

You're ignoring everything CIG has planned for game-play.. Things you'll be able to do that are planned while you're traveling for 15 minutes: (This of course greatly differs from ship to ship.)

- Scans
- Checking up on your in-game mail, messages, relations with guilds,
- Checking economic situation of the system, or nearby systems.
- Doing Diagnostics/engineering checks on your ship. (Systems will and can fail. weapons can malfunction, components fail to trigger, etc. if not upkept, and properly checked, replaced, tuned or repaired).
- Setting back up power controls for your ship for any potential combat you're expecting to get into, so you dn't lose your shields and engines with 1 bad hit.
- Checking your armor, weapons, ammunition, etc. in the lockers in your ship. (You won't be able to fly with medium or heavy armor like you can now, and you wont be able to have any weapons equipped except maybe a pistol.)
- Getting food, and water.
- Taking a crap in the toilet. (supposed to be a thing, so yea.. something you can do).
- Taking a shower (hygiene requirements).

Just to name a few of a much larger list.

TLDR: People making posts like this, have absolutely no imagination, or ability to comprehend what the game is supposed to be like at release, and want to complain about things as they are now, rather than how they will be..

quote:

Further down the Road, it will be fundamental to raise our awareness of the surroundings of our whereabouts and, we will ONLY be able to do it by accessing, for example, while our Ship is "en Route" during those Lengthy Travel Times, the Local News Networks, or the Law Enforcement Databases, or to check Warehouses fluctuations since Data takes time to travel and, thus, by the time we get to a given Area, the economical conditions of that Region of Space may have been changed, perhaps even greatly...

Not to mention, that Repairs will nowhere be what we have now.... it will NOT be possible to fully repair the vital components of our Ships which, because of Wear & Tear, WILL mulfunction and fail even while "en Route".....

Sure, careful Pilots will do a thorough check-up of their Ship before taking off BUT, since there will be a whole lot of different Regions of Space which we'll need to fly across, even though our Ship was in good conditions when we took off, along the way, and more likely if we had to cross Regions of Space where we found adverse and dangerous Environmental conditions, the Wear & Tear of our Ship may have increased enormousily, to the point that, some of our Ship's components may fail and break down WHILE we are flying to our Target... and this, especially if the age of our components is significant.... the older the components and the longer (and in a more stressing way) they have been used on our Ships, the more they will be likely to break down, unexpectedly...

Repairs, to my understanding, will NOT repair 100% functionality.... as the age of components will increase, Wear & Tear and breakages WILL become more likely...

Therefore, there is no doubt that we will HAVE TO be pressed, while on those Lengthy Travels towards our Target, whichever it might be, to repair, maintain and look after the components of our Ships.

This is the early stage for the Development of Star Citizen, there is a WHOLE LOT more intended to come.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The most common defense.

It's in ALPHA! (even though they always praise how great the "game" is)
Just imagine what is PLANNED in the FUTURE! (wishful (delusional) thinking, as always)

Also:

quote:

You're ignoring everything CIG has planned for game-play.. Things you'll be able to do that are planned while you're traveling for 15 minutes: (This of course greatly differs from ship to ship.)

- Taking a crap in the toilet. (supposed to be a thing, so yea.. something you can do).

loving :lol:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have people started planning anything yet for the 10th anniversary of the Kickstarter next year?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
What games feature "crapping in a toilet" as a game dynamic? Given "the internet" and "video games" I'm sure there are a few, but it doesn't seem like players really expound on such a great game playing option. How are the wiping and bidet options going to be settled?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Internetjack posted:

What games feature "crapping in a toilet" as a game dynamic? Given "the internet" and "video games" I'm sure there are a few, but it doesn't seem like players really expound on such a great game playing option. How are the wiping and bidet options going to be settled?

Easy, Death Stranding.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Internetjack posted:

South Park. If you get 3 stars on every toilet you get an achievement.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I don't remember if it was in this thread or in Games but there was one lol I mean several posts (from reddit or w/e) where whales were openly raving about how great it is to be able to fantasize about how this ultimate game could be and that this was so much better than actually playing such a game.

At this point this pretty much has to be what you're really seeking, besides the actual complete idiots if you're sinking so much time and money into this you're buying a dream and by that I mean you really are buying it.
It's a real-life brain dance from Cyberpunk 2077, it's just that they're megafans of the worst loving brain dance ever produced... and it's not really produced, they're rewatching over and over a badly drawn storyboard of that brain dance.

LOL!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

quote:

Because I think we're collectively losing our minds.

This isn't even about the bounty hunting change. I just want people to qualify why they think pointing my ship in a particular direction with cruise control for 15 minutes is substantial gameplay, or somehow adding to the challenge.

Genuinely, I don't get it, and apparently I'm in the minority, so I'm really trying to figure this out here - what the hell are you people doing for those 15 minutes of flying in a straight line from the nearest OM point to whereever it is you're going? Is there some hidden difficulty I'm not experiencing? Does the ship slowly veer left like in Desert Bus? Do I have to constantly adjust my attitude like I have to adjust my trim in DCS?

Explain to me. Because right now, my experience is just exiting QT, lining up the ship to where I want to go, engage cruise control, and literally go watch netflix.

Insert Elite: Dangerous joke here

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Whatever happened to RexZilla and his dropship forces?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Have people started planning anything yet for the 10th anniversary of the Kickstarter next year?

Can us goons send CIG's main offices a cake where it says "Answer the call 2032"? :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

Whatever happened to RexZilla and his dropship forces?

They dropped out

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I like Star Citizen more than the delusional players due to the comedy it produces.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I know not everyone plays the game here but let me reassure you all it is 100% absolute loving garbage.
Not talking about bugs or the drama around the game, just as a game - It's irredeemably, mind bendingly poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

peter gabriel posted:

I know not everyone plays the game here but let me reassure you all it is 100% absolute loving garbage.
Not talking about bugs or the drama around the game, just as a game - It's irredeemably, mind bendingly poo poo.

Yeah, I actually recommend picking it up at the next free fly and trying to have fun for an hour or two just to take away any niggling feeling of "maybe we are being unfair". It's really really bad.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I actually recommend picking it up at the next free fly and trying to have fun for an hour or two just to take away any niggling feeling of "maybe we are being unfair". It's really really bad.

17 more days until the next free fly. Better prepare yourself.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

sebmojo posted:

I tried once and don't understand how one could stay with it for a full hour.

Star Citizen, not even once.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

Does any game have tedious stuff like this? Who wants this in the game? I remember one of the GTAs had stuff where you had to eat every few days or you lost stamina or whatever and even that was annoying. I think it was San Andreas and I don’t think it’s made an appearance since. It’s one of those things that’s novel the first time and then annoying and bad

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I did that a while back cause I’ve been laughing at it for so long. 10/10 would laugh at some more. It’s transcended the meaning of game. Cause there’s no game. It’s astonishingly bad.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

the chief v2 posted:

Does any game have tedious stuff like this? Who wants this in the game? I remember one of the GTAs had stuff where you had to eat every few days or you lost stamina or whatever and even that was annoying. I think it was San Andreas and I don’t think it’s made an appearance since. It’s one of those things that’s novel the first time and then annoying and bad

Now, usually, I agree that games are supposed to be fun and you really lose that when they become obsessed with "realistic" busywork. But in this, particular case? No. Shoving Cluckin' Bell into CJ's mouth until he gets really, really fat was compelling, memorable, and engaging.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Now, usually, I agree that games are supposed to be fun and you really lose that when they become obsessed with "realistic" busywork. But in this, particular case? No. Shoving Cluckin' Bell into CJ's mouth until he gets really, really fat was compelling, memorable, and engaging.

They brought back fitness in GTA 5 but made it much slower and less rewarding and biking was less fun and you couldn't fulfill your Grove Street feeder-gainer relationship as fully

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Sure, careful Pilots will do a thorough check-up of their Ship before taking off BUT, since there will be a whole lot of different Regions of Space which we'll need to fly across, even though our Ship was in good conditions when we took off, along the way, and more likely if we had to cross Regions of Space where we found adverse and dangerous Environmental conditions, the Wear & Tear of our Ship may have increased enormousily, to the point that, some of our Ship's components may fail and break down WHILE we are flying to our Target... and this, especially if the age of our components is significant.... the older the components and the longer (and in a more stressing way) they have been used on our Ships, the more they will be likely to break down, unexpectedly...

Whenever I drive a company vehicle I have to do a pain in the rear end "Walk Around For Safety" with like 25 things to check off before the car can move an inch out of the parking lot, and I for one am excited to bring this fun, hyper-realistic drudgery into my spaceman game.

Although the reason for doing it is because naturally someone took a van out and the company was too cheap to pay for regular maintenance Johnny Dumbshit obviously was being negligent not noticing the tires were bald and rolled it on a slick road after some rain. So this pretty much tracks with spaceships randomly exploding I guess.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Vice President posted:

Whenever I drive a company vehicle I have to do a pain in the rear end "Walk Around For Safety" with like 25 things to check off before the car can move an inch out of the parking lot, and I for one am excited to bring this fun, hyper-realistic drudgery into my spaceman game.

Although the reason for doing it is because naturally someone took a van out and the company was too cheap to pay for regular maintenance Johnny Dumbshit obviously was being negligent not noticing the tires were bald and rolled it on a slick road after some rain. So this pretty much tracks with spaceships randomly exploding I guess.

It is like Police Quest. If you do not do the walk around you get a flat tire and a game over.

I am convinced that the Star Citizen gamers are stuck several generations back in gaming. When they think of massive open worlds they think of the early RPGs that let you “go anywhere” in a “massive world” but there was virtually nothing to do with 99% of it. They miss the first Elder Scrolls where you could walk around in a vast city that had three points of interest and the rest of it was just running into NPCs who could give vague directions to the few places where you could actually do something.

They look back with nostalgia at garbage that impressed them once when they were young but is boring as hell in execution.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thing is, with the introduction of fps quests elite dangerous basically is SC and it's okay to decent to excellent depending on what lens you use. Even if it releases SC is inevitably, obviously going to be a shittier version of that on every one of those lenses.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Beyond anything else E: D hasn’t tried to wrangle every singular cent out of your pocket for imaginary (as in “not even existing in the game”) features.

It’s priced as a regular game, with regular game add on prices. No goddamn several thousand usd price tags for the pinky swear promise of a good time “soon”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Internetjack posted:

Toilets are save points in No More Heroes.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah, iirc there was actual interaction with a lot of game mechanics, including as mentioned one love interest who likes CJ fat. I feel it works well when the game actually remembers it's a game and doesn't make it too difficult to fulfil the various requirements but gives some incentives to do so, and ties into world stuff. (especially since video game cooking can be oddly compelling. Like in Breath of the Wild; you don't really need to make specific recipes as long as you know what the ingredients do, but it's fun to play Hyrule's most adventurous chef)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2021

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
bring back escape velocity. fuckin rochester.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 5, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The existence of E:D might be what finally kills Star Citizen.

If it continues for a few more years, they will have covered all of the core gameplay that Star Citizen is aiming for, and... then what?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

the chief v2 posted:

People literally install mods in Skyrim and Fallout 4 to add stuff like this. Some people are just masochists.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Play posted:

Easy, Death Stranding.

Hey, not a fair comparison since Death Stranding is finished and SC is still in alpha, GOD :jerkbag:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Entropic posted:

People literally install mods in Skyrim and Fallout 4 to add stuff like this. Some people are just masochists.

I remember some guest on a podcast bragging about how he made John Marston always slow to a walk when visiting a town as that’s the way he would walk in real life. Wonder if he also made John stay in bed for a month if he got shot to simulate frontier hospitals.

Oh I had a roommate who loved Civ 4 and wanted to try the hot seat multiplayer. Ok sure but after a few turns I noticed my civ seemed to be making zero progress in growth or tech. Turned out the guy preferred playing with those settings at the slowest possible option. I bailed quick as what was the point, it would have been like a day of real time before we made contact.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

bring back escape velocity. fuckin rochester.

Starsector might be for you?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bofast posted:

starcom nexus is also good, though that's more star control 2

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bofast posted:

Starsector is great. So much atmosphere from 2D graphics and text, and rock solid combat mechanics.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bofast posted:

Atopian posted:

Starsector is great. So much atmosphere from 2D graphics and text, and rock solid combat mechanics.

This game looks cool, thanks for recommending it!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Atopian posted:

The existence of E:D might be what finally kills Star Citizen.

If it continues for a few more years, they will have covered all of the core gameplay that Star Citizen is aiming for, and... then what?

Elite: Dangerous actually exists and thus can never compare to the fictions that croberts fanatics have built up in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

This game looks cool, thanks for recommending it!

Star sector is amazing and absolutely worth the price of admission.

A goon does some work on the game as well.