Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Saw meme; made shitpost. That's how this goes, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like it!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
He left in 2003 which also is curiously when the show started going downhill.

:thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's absolutely got it right that the important thing to writing is to just loving write rather than agonise over it, you can always improve on it later once you have something down to work from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^ the problem with the current writers is they forget to do the second part

e.pilot posted:

He left in 2003 which also is curiously when the show started going downhill.

:thunk:

I don't think I've ever seen S15/16 described as the turning point for the series tbh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: ^^^^ the problem with the current writers is they forget to do the second part

I don't think I've ever seen S15/16 described as the turning point for the series tbh

I mean not exactly the turning point, but pretty drat close.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:golfclap:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The whole thing was extremely good but especially this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

lmao

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This page is loving :five:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I mean not exactly the turning point, but pretty drat close.

The skilled writers didn't all leave at the same time, that's why we have so many memes from the first few bad seasons.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Holy poo poo

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

This one had me in stitches

Bone Storm
Aug 3, 2011

BUY ME BONESTORM
OR GO TO HELL
I’ve been reading Swatzwelder’s books recently, I highly recommend them. So far my favorite is The Time Traveling Detective. The joke density is incredible. Here’s an excerpt that really got me:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Bone Storm posted:

I’ve been reading Swatzwelder’s books recently, I highly recommend them. So far my favorite is The Time Traveling Detective. The joke density is incredible. Here’s an excerpt that really got me:

They had been on my list to check out for a while now, but this definitely moves them into the "buy right now" category.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bone Storm posted:

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that misplaced apostrophe.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FouRPlaY posted:

They had been on my list to check out for a while now, but this definitely moves them into the "buy right now" category.

The Time Machine Did It has been on my amazon wishlist for years. Finally ended up buying it after reading that interview.

Bone Storm
Aug 3, 2011

BUY ME BONESTORM
OR GO TO HELL

wheatpuppy posted:

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that misplaced apostrophe.

It bugs me too, but I think it's deliberate. The book is supposed to be written in-fiction by the protagonist, who is pretty dumb and lazy. I think this and other errors are what he's alluding to in the interview:

quote:

Why did you decide to take the self-publishing route, rather than traditional publishing?

It’s easier, faster, and there are no arguments, because all the decisions are yours. If you want to write your book with multiple misspellings, badly misplaced commas, and juvenile bodily-function jokes, your publisher (that’s you!) is with you a hundred per cent on that. He’ll back you up all the way. It’s the kind of control writers dream of having.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Propaganda Hour posted:

The Time Machine Did It has been on my amazon wishlist for years. Finally ended up buying it after reading that interview.

It's a good book. I really need to read the rest of his books as that's the only one I have.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bone Storm posted:

I've been trying to track down this one:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Sorry this one was too good

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This was made for other reasons, but have it here too

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This one had me in stitches

This is the exact sort of thing I was talking about earlier, I can totally hear that line being deadpanned by Kent Brockman. It's just so weird seeing someone talk in the 'simpsons voice' that I've spent my whole life internalising and not have them just regurgitate quotes I'm already familiar with.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
wait that is a simpson's joke. abe took a bite out of a man on a mountain

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

InsertPotPun posted:

wait that is a simpson's joke. abe took a bite out of a man on a mountain

That man was his climbing partner, not a rescue team member. Come on, man, get on the trolley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a big fan of the joke he sent Letterman--