Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry for that.

Just be patient and gentle with her, you might have to try multiple times. Leading the way can sometimes help. Just try not to force her, and she should settle down again.

If you think you can do it diplomatically without starting a feud you can try writing a letter to your neighbor. If you go down this route, be sure to record and date any notable interactions you have in case it DOES become a problem and you have to escalate to either your landlord or (god forbid) the authorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think it’s perfectly reasonable for Katie to avoid that door for a while; sometimes those other two dogs come flying up whenever we step out that way because I hadn’t noticed they were out. I don’t think she’s overly traumatized and I’m not very worried about her over this.

I’m mainly annoyed at how oblivious, selfish, and irresponsible my neighbor is. I think she’s just bad with animals in general. I don’t think I mentioned that not only does she feed the feral cats around here (against city ordinance) but she also feeds the deer. I looked up if it was illegal but it’s merely Highly Discouraged by the DNR. I don’t know why the hell she wants those things to come up close to the apartments.

My neighbor is the talkative type so she’s always trying to strike up conversation when I’m out with Katie. Katie seems to like her but to be fair she likes literally all humans.

This situation may sort of solve it itself soonish - I have to either temporarily or permanently move to a different unit for some much-needed renovations to this place. I’ve been considering whether I really want to go through the pain of moving twice in two weeks to come back here, but this unit has benefits. There’s another unit close by that I may be able to switch to that’s farther away from her. I have to walk around a corner to get to the dog area and the view isn’t as nice, but this latest thing may push me over.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Argh, I hate people like that! Have you tried reporting her?

Either way, at this stage I'd personally pick up her dogs' poo and put it in inconvenient spots so that she'll hopefully remember to start picking it up in the future...like say, sprinkled across her doormat, so that hopefully she steps in it. (Bonus points if her dogs do too, then track it all over her townhouse. Extra bonus points if you put it outside the front door too) :D Maybe also leave a fresh roll of baggies in her mailbox if you're feeling kind/merciful.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that once that happens, she should change her tune pretty quick! haha :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 27, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is getting up every 10-20 minutes, panting heavily (though she pants heavily a lot, in all fairness) before laying down again. Any thoughts on what could be going on? She is walking and sleeping fine. I will call the vet tomorrow. Nothing weird going on that I can notice. Tail is down but not fully tucked.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

She sounds uncomfortable. I hope she’s not in pain.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

She sounds uncomfortable. I hope she’s not in pain.

yeah I'm not sure. last night when on my bed she was fine, and she slept fine as well. This morning she did vomit once, so maybe that was part of the issue. She hasn't really gotten up at all in the last hour or so so that's good!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So Katie has suddenly gotten… very lazy. I know, I know, she’s a greyhound, but this is a dog that used to walk for 2+ hours every day.

Exactly one week ago we had this bullshit:

Today it’s 85F, so yay Midwest weather.

I don’t blame her for not wanting to walk when it was suddenly cold out, but the behavior has persisted. She hasn’t run since before the snow. Whenever we go on walks she doesn’t seem very enthused. Lots of laying down:

The only places she really wants to walk are where there is lots of cat droppings, because those are delicious. She gets immensely stubborn if we try to go somewhere else.

When she didn’t want to walk after work on Friday, we drove to a local park instead. That seemed exciting enough for to want to walk around.

Is she just being a diva? Bored of her immediate surroundings?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Sparty gets lazier as it gets warmer, we say he runs hot, could that be it?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah greyhounds need time to acclimate to heat, just like we do. If it's suddenly hot where you live it's fine that she's lazier than normal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had a fall on the floor today, it's good I'm here to help her up. I just started bawling an hour ago, and I cry like once every five years

thankfully I was able to call a friend of mine

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s real hard to watch your dog be not well :smith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

It’s real hard to watch your dog be not well :smith:

Totally is. I’m sorry this is all happening

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so sorry that you have to watch this. However, I'm sure Abby's really happy to have her best bud with her to help her out. How is she doing in general?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks guys. yesterday was absolutely terrible.

It all started when she got off my bed (she just chills on my bed most of the day) - I have a little rug next to the bed of course, but when jumping on it she slipped somehow, not sure what happened but I heard her yelp out a bit and she was sprawled out on the floor. I had to help her up, and then guide her around the room so that we could go out, as she dragging one of her back legs (i.e. she was dragging the nails against the ground). It improved after we walked around a bit, but she's back on "no stairs allowed" again. It doesn't appear to be swelling up which is good. She also fell a few times while trying to urinate yesterday. Also with her bed, while it's really nice, her leg sometimes slides in between the bed and the surrounding bolster - not sure how to avoid this. I try to pad the area with blankets as much as I can.

She did eat at least part of her food this morning, but her weight is definitely down. I'd guess she's 58-60 pounds. Several people have commented on how skinny she is which is upsetting.

edit: I setup a vet appointment for Monday morning

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2021

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Do you think she's dizzy from the neurological stuff? I've also found that supplementing with either puppy food or minced tripe is an excellent way to put weight on underweight dogs. Tripe is also delicious (to dogs) and she may love the change.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Do you think she's dizzy from the neurological stuff? I've also found that supplementing with either puppy food or minced tripe is an excellent way to put weight on underweight dogs. Tripe is also delicious (to dogs) and she may love the change.

not sure - by neurological do you mean her canine cognitive dysfunction? The anipryl has really worked well for that ever since it developed early last year.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

working hard, thank u

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

not sure - by neurological do you mean her canine cognitive dysfunction? The anipryl has really worked well for that ever since it developed early last year.

Yeah. I just always associate falling over with brain stuff. But I guess cognitive dysfunction wouldn't manifest like that? I dunno, not a vet.

She looks so happy on the bed. And she still has the best ears.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

abby showing that kong who’s boss :3:

Radiation Cow posted:

And she still has the best ears.
:agreed:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Falling over really isn't a part of CCD, but there are a bunch of different ways it can manifest

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/5-signs-dog-dementia

For Abby it was the relieving herself in her bed (and sometimes elsewhere) without signaling

She got three of those pb kongs yesterday!

I'm going to try to get one of the harnesses with the "handle" today to help in the interim. I will probably find something to add to her food to get her to eat a bit more - she is eating, but not the full amount.

But I decided that if what is happening now simply becomes the norm, I will seriously consider having her put down. This is no way for her (or me) to live.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Also as much as she enjoys being on my bed, I should probably not allow that anymore. This is what lead to her most recent issue as she jumped off and fell instead of landing safely like she always had. Also it's harder to help her out when she's on a bed vs. something on the floor, because I can't really get a good angle to hold her.

I did get one of these things at the store where you put it on and it has a holder to help lift her up, though it's more meant for cars and such - if I wanted it for indoors she'd have to have it on all the time which might not be the greatest idea. I don't have any stairs in my house (lol) so that's helpful

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-travel/dog-assistance/up-about-dog-lifter/

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Also as much as she enjoys being on my bed, I should probably not allow that anymore. This is what lead to her most recent issue as she jumped off and fell instead of landing safely like she always had. Also it's harder to help her out when she's on a bed vs. something on the floor, because I can't really get a good angle to hold her.

What about a ramp onto the bed? It must be hard seeing her like this, but it's great that you're still giving her the best quality of life possible. I wish I could be more encouraging, but all I can say is that you're a great dog parent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

What about a ramp onto the bed? It must be hard seeing her like this, but it's great that you're still giving her the best quality of life possible. I wish I could be more encouraging, but all I can say is that you're a great dog parent.

thank you

the problem really isn't her getting onto the bed, it's more that if she's on it, she might just try to jump off on her own.

This morning has been tough again. She slept just fine, but again when getting up, she's starts to struggle pushing up on her back legs, then she yelps, then I help her get up, but she gets scared from what happened. So she kind of limp-walks a bit and then completely empties her bladder on the floor (thankfully I was able to move her a bit so that it almost all went on the hard floor), as well as defecates. So I have to deal with all that, but then still take her out to finish whatever might be left. And then just now, I'm not sure what happened but she had been standing on the little rug I have, and I heard this noise, and I think while trying to lie down she fell kind of hard and hurt herself. Now she's just standing and panting.

This is terrible. I really hope the vet has some options tomorrow.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I am at the vet. They are doing one cold laser therapy treatment and giving rimadyl + gabapentin for one week. She can't use rimadyl long term because it's an NSAID and she has elevated creatinine levels.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Hang in there friend. You’ll know when the time comes and until then you’re loving her as hard as you can.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you.

she's being a typical stubborn greyhound, but eventually she lied down on the rug (she is prob annoyed I didn't let her back on the bed!)

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Iceman crossed over the rainbow bridge earlier today :(

We had to put him down bc the fluid accumulation around his heart and lungs was getting worse, and the vet didn't think he would make it through another procedure to drain it.

He was a failure of a racer who never finished a race, but he was a great pet and was supremely spoiled.

Ready in peace, boy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

so sorry for your loss, iceman seems like he was well named because he looks like he was a supremely chill and good boy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm very sorry about Iceman! He looks like a very good dog.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RIP Iceman. If not a racer, he looks to have been a real pro at snoozing at least

Lots of sad news again in the thread! I’ll have some videos to share of Katie harassing some goats when I get back to civilized internet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

(she is prob annoyed I didn't let her back on the bed!)

Hah! Yeah, I'd bet money that she's definitely annoyed that she's not allowed back on the bed, hahah :D

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that! He looks like such a good pup - I'm sure he loved his time with you. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was able to talk Abby out for an actual walk! She did a bit of the paw curling, but only a few times, so hopefully that means the meds are working.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
RIP Iceman :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear about Iceman. Looks like he had a very cosy life.

Glad to hear Abby's taking walks, even though I'm still gonna call the Hague re: the bed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

extremely stubborn dog

she's basically how she is in the car, where she stands up because she loves to look out the window, but when her legs get tired she does everything she can to keep standing. If I lightly push down on her butt she lies down, but I think this is all because she really wants to be on my bed.

she's gotten better about using her fancy bed at night, and thankfully did not pee in it overnight. I'm sure the fact that I could take her out for an actual walk, where she could fully empty her bladder and get all the poop out helped a bunch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 4, 2021

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
So sorry about Iceman, may he Rest In Peace.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m sorry about iceman, he looked like a very good boy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
As promised…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIyFMvT7QU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwPNZj5iGcE
I’ve never heard her bark as much as she did with these goats. I think she wanted them to run but they’re too lazy.

YouTube keeps turning this one into a “short” because it’s vertical
https://youtube.com/shorts/S6GEqEG9fCk?feature=share

Lucy is not in the videos because I think their play styles are irreconcilable. Lucy, being a terrier, growls constantly and wants to play fight, which Katie thinks is weird and very annoying. Katie will occasionally try to pounce on Lucy when she’s in a playful mood which poor little Lucy thinks is scary since Katie is like twice her size.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao at the foot in the water, long doggos are so smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

lmao at the foot in the water, long doggos are so smart

Yeah I don’t know what she was thinking; was she trying to turn the bucket into a swimming pool through pure force of will? She did it multiple times!