Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, all those ISD ships with the BDE Cannon underneath from RoS? yea they're all supposed to be like 10km long.

bullshit. they don't even look any bigger to me, they just look like a fleet of death penis impstars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

Balls and boobs are only meant to be “load bearing” in one sense. they don’t suddenly increase in weight by 25% in your 40s
Well, boobs might increase by more, earlier.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm sure there's people with balls that are 25% bigger or smaller than mine. But if mine got 25% heavier overnight I would probably notice.
Sure, but being able to feel something and that thing hurting is not at all the same thing. It'd just get rolled into a general "Oh, I feel heavy here" feeling, not a specific "Oh no, my balls are being torn apart by gravity" thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
tie a weight around your sack for a week and get back to us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol wait a second

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, boobs might increase by more, earlier.

do you think puberty happens over the course of 20 minutes?

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

indigi posted:

lol wait a second

do you think puberty happens over the course of 20 minutes?

I think they're talking about pregnancy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

indigi posted:

tie a weight around your sack for a week and get back to us

Or maybe just put on some underwear.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kraken! posted:

I was actually talking about implants.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a notoriously painless procedure

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

a notoriously painless procedure
Now I don't have personal experience with getting implants, but I feel like "getting foreign objects inserted into your body" might be a bigger source of discomfort than the actual weight of the implants.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

indigi posted:

idk what book it's in since I only know about it from a review, but there's a planet with sentient plants on it that humans arrive to try to colonize that has like 1.25g. they've all been prepared for that, but after a couple days all the characters are complaining that their balls and breasts hurt because the sensitive bits of our bodies aren't built to have sudden, persistent, additional weight placed on them and there's no way to train for it. that's something I hadn't ever considered and it sounds like it would suck poo poo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or maybe just put on some underwear.

Seriously, these people flew across a galaxy to colonize another world, and the concept of supportive undergarments somehow escapes them?

I like the bit in the expanse where they're on the first alien planet, where all the local flora and fauna is deadly poisonous because humans didn't evolve along side it. And everyone goes blind because of an innocuous algae like organism that the human immune system doesn't even react to because it has no way of identifying it as a pathogen. Also how shipping dirt from earth is big business and can be the difference between a colony surviving or starving.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

bullshit. they don't even look any bigger to me, they just look like a fleet of death penis impstars.

Yea, its how loving lazy it is. And people didn't even realize it until they looked into the Visual Dictionary for RoS and saw that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

There's at least EU support for the idea that shields being up can stop a hyperspace ram – there's a comic where the Executor takes three Imperial Star Destroyers decelerating out of hyperspace into it with so little space the guys on the ISDs have no idea they're gonna die, but the Executor's shields are able to prevent all damage to it.

As to why the Supremacy had its shields down in Last Jedi, well, what was shooting at it?

Don't make excuses for terrible decisions they knew were terrible but didn't care because Disney Star wars is essentially a scam

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its how loving lazy it is. And people didn't even realize it until they looked into the Visual Dictionary for RoS and saw that.

To be fair, a lot of sci-fi has difficulty keeping pace with its large scale, and it ends up getting retconned in weird ancillary material.

Throughout a lot of media the second Death Star is clarified as being like ten times as big of the first one, mainly on the basis of one closeup shot where there's no visible curvature on the Death Star's surface.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda sci-fi... but the first time I saw The Fountain with Hugh Jackman, and I was processing how the three storylines were coming together.... and then the scene with, "I'm sorry First Father, I did not recognize you..." and then the tree supernovas, and the timelines came together....

BLEW MY MIND.

It has stuck with me.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DEATH IS THE ROAD TO AWE!!!

Man, I keep forgetting how awesome The Fountain is. Thanks for reminding me.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Throughout a lot of media the second Death Star is clarified as being like ten times as big of the first one, mainly on the basis of one closeup shot where there's no visible curvature on the Death Star's surface.
Star Wars is already expecting you to be paying close attention to sizes so that you can appreciate the subtleties of Luke vs Bigger Luke

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Death is the Road to Awe is one of those songs where if you write it its fine if you never make anything good again, you're still gonna be on the whole a good artist.

The whole ending of that movie is so sumptuous.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Most of Invisible Cities is pretty mindblowing but I think Zora is my favorite that's easy to explain, the city that compels all those who see it to learn all its details,

quote:

So the world’s most learned men are those who have memorized Zora.

But in vain I set out to visit the city: forced to remain motionless and always the same, in order to be more easily remembered, Zora has languished, disintegrated, disappeared. The earth has forgotten her.

Great stuff.

Cactus posted:

Wasn't that one of the whole points of it? It's been a while but (finale spoilers) doesn't the fact that there was a huge blind spot in the future of the Machines predictions that turned out to be caused by a character saying "gently caress what the machine says I'm supposed to do, I'm going to do something different instead! Universe, you're not the boss of me!" imply that anyone else could have done that at any time and caused the blind spot that broke the machine to occur, but they all chose not to because they wanted to believe the machine was omniscient, and that the Universe was deterministic?

Or maybe I just completely misinterpreted the whole thing lmao.

Devs is pretty dumb on those counts so I'd mostly say that the writers just plumb hosed up on making a thematically coherent story.

That said the smartest character is, to my chagrin, the Elon Musk stand-in: when he points out that using many-worlds as a means of reconstructing the entire universe as "infinite error," he's completely right: it doesn't make anything more precise, it just widens the window for what is considered an acceptable level of error to "anything that sounds fine to a human at first glance." It was frankly baffling to watch people who were supposedly educated in science miss this like a dog walking into a glass door.

As for why the characters in that room are freaking out while Lily calmly derails the prophecy she saw? Well, she's the main character and they're not.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Devs

Tulip posted:

Devs is pretty dumb on those counts so I'd mostly say that the writers just plumb hosed up on making a thematically coherent story.

That said the smartest character is, to my chagrin, the Elon Musk stand-in: when he points out that using many-worlds as a means of reconstructing the entire universe as "infinite error," he's completely right: it doesn't make anything more precise, it just widens the window for what is considered an acceptable level of error to "anything that sounds fine to a human at first glance." It was frankly baffling to watch people who were supposedly educated in science miss this like a dog walking into a glass door.

As for why the characters in that room are freaking out while Lily calmly derails the prophecy she saw? Well, she's the main character and they're not.

the other characters are all true believers who totally bought into Forest's religious mania for the project. Lily was an outsider who came into it with a critical detachment. That's why she could derail the prophecy but the others were instantly trapped by it as soon as they saw it.
Calling Forest a Musk stand in is so mean on him! he's at least a partially sympathetic character, and technically accomplished engineer. not a chump with too much inherited money and oversized ego

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

Wasn't it also implied that they themselves were probably a simulation inside a machine, that was itself a simulation in a simulation etc, and that reality is a nested bunch of simulations simulating each other infinitely in both directions? Yeah it was very naval-gazing tech-mogul-esque. Still liked it though, and the soundtrack was brilliant when it was being eerie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulip posted:

Most of Invisible Cities is pretty mindblowing but I think Zora is my favorite that's easy to explain, the city that compels all those who see it to learn all its details,

Great stuff.

I love invisible cities so much

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cerv posted:

Devs

the other characters are all true believers who totally bought into Forest's religious mania for the project. Lily was an outsider who came into it with a critical detachment. That's why she could derail the prophecy but the others were instantly trapped by it as soon as they saw it.
Calling Forest a Musk stand in is so mean on him! he's at least a partially sympathetic character, and technically accomplished engineer. not a chump with too much inherited money and oversized ego

That's fair, I originally had "tech billionaire" but I wanted to properly convey how much I think it sucked as a decision that Forest and Stewart are the ones who get all the most insightful lines. And also in fairness, Forest was brilliantly cast. Introducing a character with them eating a salad with their hands ruled.

Cactus posted:

Wasn't it also implied that they themselves were probably a simulation inside a machine, that was itself a simulation in a simulation etc, and that reality is a nested bunch of simulations simulating each other infinitely in both directions? Yeah it was very naval-gazing tech-mogul-esque. Still liked it though, and the soundtrack was brilliant when it was being eerie.

If you find yourself in a simulation that is indistinct from reality, it's just reality.

sebmojo posted:

I love invisible cities so much
It's just so loving good, just incessant bangers

quote:

Whether Armilla is like this because it is unfinished or because it has been demolished, whether the cause is some enchantment or only a whim, I do not know. The fact remains that it has no walls, no ceilings, no floors: it has nothing that makes it seem a city, except the water pipes that rise vertically where the houses should be and spread out horizontally where the floors should be: a forest of pipes that end in taps, showers, spouts, overflows. Against the sky a lavabo’s white stands out, or a bathtub, or some other porcelain, like late fruit still hanging from the boughs. You would think the plumbers had finished their job and gone away before the bricklayers arrived; or else their hydraulic systems, indestructible, had survived a catastrophe, an earthquake, or the corrosion of termites.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind has a lot of moments. Or at least a lot of moments that would've blown my mind if I had seen it much earlier. There's a lot of bits that really were my jam that I probably really would've connected with if they weren't already embedded deep into my brain. Some of it from works that even were directly borrowing from Nausicaa, so you get the same problem as a lot of influential masterpieces. It also doesn't help that the dub is pretty rough and much of the voicework lacks expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwGLHS7J3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfP3F-ovUY

I think the biggest thing that is still pretty unique about Nausicaa is just how explicitly postapocalyptic the world is, and how it's very literally built upon ruins of the old world and occasionally wielding old-world relics, but it doesn't dwell on it. It's not depressed about the old world being dead, and it's not defining itself by its connection to the old world, or at least not usually. It's just a fact in the background, and the postapocalyptic society is free to feel joy on its own terms.

I think the only other thing that hit me in the same way was how at the start of the movie Reign of Fire they show their own postapocalyptic world with a happy little village before they go off to run around with dragons or some jazz, I dunno.

Another thing that is still truly unique is the beautiful strange wilderness of the Forest of Corruption, which is basically just a bunch of fungus species scaled way up, but fungus is pretty dang weird. Helps that there's beautiful art direction and you really can appreciate how pretty it is when there's a light and fluffy snow of deadly spores.

But I think the littlest thing that really hit me hard when I watched the movie for the first time are Nausicas's gunshells. See, she's got six of them there sewn into her shirt. Only six.

And it blew my mind because like everything connected in my head. Obviously they're not gonna have access to as much gunpowder without present day industry, and even less in a small backwoods area, so no fooling around with automatics. Gotta ration those shots as much as possible. No clips, just load and fire. And Nausicaa gets as much use as she can out of those shells, she even pours the gunpowder out of one to loosen an eyeball's shell. Really made me think about how weapons are complex tools.

And I don't think Miyazaki would've really wanted me to gain a new appreciation of weapons, but it's part of how so many of the mechanics and pieces of the world are so well-thought out. Another example is the gas masks, every group has a different design, Kushana's men have their masks built into their helmets, the Dorok have like a small clump with tubes, and the Wormhandlers have like a nose cover with tubes going directly into their noses because theirs are meant to possibly never come off. With Nausicaa's particular type of mask the bags are actually redundant filters so they can be split if it's necessary. It makes so much sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That description of the post-apocalypse reminds me of Adventure Time. The end of the world was a thousand years ago, there's only one human left as far as most people know, and everyone's long moved on. The detritus of the old world is all over the place in the background. And there's a massive chunk blown out of the Earth.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That description of the post-apocalypse reminds me of Adventure Time. The end of the world was a thousand years ago, there's only one human left as far as most people know, and everyone's long moved on. The detritus of the old world is all over the place in the background. And there's a massive chunk blown out of the Earth.

B-but what about isostatic adjustment?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Another Japanese post-apocalyptic series is Girls' Last Tour, which has a manga and an animated series. It's about two girls wandering through the remains of a huge city built for some long-forgotten war. They're some of the last living people on the planet but they don't remember how things were before, so it doesn't depress them and they see everything with new eyes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

In the unlikely event you haven't done so already, you really owe it to yourself to read the comic version.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

In the unlikely event you haven't done so already, you really owe it to yourself to read the comic version.
:yeah:

This is what i always say whenever it comes up but: the movie is a pretty decent (proto)Ghibli movie, but Miyazaki's manga version is a complete masterpiece. Basically right up there with Dune, or Neuromancer for me. The story in both starts in the same place, but they quickly diverge and it is so so good

Here's a little thing from it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cactus posted:

B-but what about isostatic adjustment?

I feel a very on-brand explanation is 'weird-rear end magic poo poo'.

Action Jacktion posted:

Another Japanese post-apocalyptic series is Girls' Last Tour, which has a manga and an animated series. It's about two girls wandering through the remains of a huge city built for some long-forgotten war. They're some of the last living people on the planet but they don't remember how things were before, so it doesn't depress them and they see everything with new eyes.

Reminds me of the text adventure bit in NieR, where the characters explore the ruins of a modern city and can't comprehend the glass and steel architecture to the point where they call it the City of Art, only able to understand it as a place built to look pretty above all else. (they might be onto something)

Post-apocalyptic views of the present in general are interesting. Fallout doesn't play with it much, but FNV does mention that most Pre-War literature is incomprehensible to post-war people presumably just from lacking context, though ignorance tends to be a function of lacking education rather than a widespread problem, given well-educated people generally have a decent idea of pre-War history, and there's various individuals still surviving from that era. (mainly robots, ghouls, and individuals like Mr House. And the protagonist of Fallout 4, which is a fun idea that's probably not really used to its full potential)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Post-apocalyptic views of the present in general are interesting. Fallout doesn't play with it much, but FNV does mention that most Pre-War literature is incomprehensible to post-war people presumably just from lacking context, though ignorance tends to be a function of lacking education rather than a widespread problem, given well-educated people generally have a decent idea of pre-War history, and there's various individuals still surviving from that era. (mainly robots, ghouls, and individuals like Mr House. And the protagonist of Fallout 4, which is a fun idea that's probably not really used to its full potential)

One of the ending slides from Old World Blues captures it well:

quote:

As the Courier ran through the X-8 facility multiple times, the computers analyzed the test subject's movements. Rather than performing a superficial observation, they realized the subject barely knew what Communism was - or even what a high school was. This confused them for a time, until the facility finally realized that its research had... succeeded.

International Communism just isn't a thing in 2281. Worries about it, training facilities designed to teach how to identify infiltrators, are meaningless abstractions that serve only as obstacles in the 23rd century.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adventure Time doesn't really get me the same way, because it's very much not about the apocalypse. It stated out as a background gag, and by the time it started to really elaborate on the apocalypse directly, there was a new showrunner whose entire philosophy basically revolved around the characters never considering the broader or deeper implications of anything.

Girl's Last Tour lacks a rebuilt society, and the story is still pretty dominated by the melancholy of the apocalypse, although it's still pretty good.

grassy gnoll posted:

Oh yeah, I read all of that and it's a masterpiece, but I didn't want to make my long post much longer. The manga fleshed out a lot of the politics of the world and developed a subplot of psychic powers and biotechnology where Nausicaa ends up as even more of a messiah. I think the thing that stands out most to me about that is when she and Teto are steadily suffering from radiation sickness as she guides a newborn God Warrior who is also melting from the strain of using its powers.

And then when she finds the Crypt of Shuwa, it turns out that it's a time capsule meant to guide the restoration of the world and restore civilization after the radiation is gone, because all current life is too adapted to radiation to survive in a non-irradiated environment. As part of that mission, the Crypt ingratiated itself with the political elite to maintain control. Nausicaa rejects their offers and destroys the Crypt of Shuwa with either the idea "we'll figure out how to survive in a post-radiation world and we don't need you" or "if we can't survive after the world is purified it's fine, humanity can just all die out." I'm not really sure which.

I'd sure like it to be the former, which is kinda plausible when you see the wonders that the Forest People have done, maybe they can figure it out, and it's better not to pay the cost that the Crypt asked. The latter seems pretty inconsistent with Nausicaa having spent the whole rest of the series caring about people and keeping them alive, but a lot of people really resonate with environmentalism-driven nihilism, so iunno.

I also really like the wormhandlers and their society, because they seem like a more realistic take than Dune's Fremen. They can survive out in the forest, but that doesn't make them tougher or some kind of supermen. They just know the tricks to living in the forest. And how to handle worms.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of post-apocalyptic games, a little moment in Armored Core For Answer that you have to go as far out of your way as possible to see is almost getting shot down by a satellite cannon. The premise for the endgame in For Answer is that you can either divert power from flying orbital habitats to ground based anti-satellite cannons to maybe clear the way to space to leave the dying Earth (while simultaneously forcing the habitats down, which are currently using the last bits of energy and resources on the planet to sustain and will eventually finish the human race off with the rest of the planet, one way or the other). Low Earth Orbit is saturated with tens of thousands of military satellites shooting at anything that leaves the surface as well as rival company satellites whenever their orbits cross.

One mission early on is to defend one such habitat that's under attack. If you go back into the level in new game+ (or really know how to build your mech), you can fly straight up from the flying habitat and you start to see streaks of light - you're being targeted and your handler immediately freaks out, ordering you to lower altitude before the unknown force makes you; this is the only time in the game you ever see the satellites and your handler has no clue they're even there. Supposedly in a later level towards the end you can see the streaks of light horizontally as two swarms of satellites crash into each other as well.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of my favorite little things that 3, NV, and 4 don't dwell on but make pretty clear is that the world was about five minutes from solving the problems that led to the resource wars that killed the planet (though that also wouldn't have stopped anyone)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 2, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My favorite post apocalypse fiction is Yokohama Shopping Trip. Humanity is hosed, there's still some around but the climate apocalypse has completely doomed them. At least the humans that we see in the Japanese countryside have all pretty much gone, "welp" and are just trying to have a nice time and live out their twilight as pleasantly as they can. The main character is an android who runs a very, very low customer coffee shop and is trying to make as many good memories before humanity disappears and leaves her (and the other androids) to themselves forever forward.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

kraken! posted:

The most rapid boob changes I've observed have been after a pregnancy, while breastfeeding a lot. Milk reservoirs fill up and get emptied out, several times per day.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Groke posted:

The most rapid boob changes I've observed have been after a pregnancy, while breastfeeding a lot. Milk reservoirs fill up and get emptied out, several times per day.

The scifi wifi -> Little Moments in Sci-Fi that Blew Your Mind

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I wish I could edit thread titles so I could add "The Most Rapid Boob Changes I've Observed."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What's blowing my mind watching this is the animators decision to make the character go commando and bear her arse at every opportunity.

Come on sci-fi, can we not be better than this?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She has white leggings on. There's still too many low angle shots and fluttering skirt/coat stuff going on tho.

e: another reason the manga is better

e:e: it also isn't very clear that that is the case in the anime. I bet you can find the same question on some old usenet pages

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 3, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean don't get me wrong I'm not a prude or anything. I'll watch Game of Thrones, or Masters of Sex, or Raven Riley, or whatever, without batting an eyelid. It just seems comedically, eye-rollingly out of place to have that kind of titillation in such a cerebral cartoon.

edit:
the art style and music remind me a lot of a sci-fi cartoon I used to love rewatching as a kid, Time Masters

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She's wearing pants. It's basically the same uniform as the soldiers of the Valley of the Wind are wearing. I do kinda wonder why her legs are so rigidly back instead of swaying like they're being pushed by the wind currents, but it doesn't read as horny at all.

There's a point in the movie where she does wear a dress, but she also puts on an even thicker pair of pants underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgZJWjsAks

I think this is also an interesting bit because it illustrates the sky itself having a sort of geography that Nausicaa has to maneuver around. That may actually one thing the movie does better than the manga, because the manga talks a lot about Nausicaa's ability to read and ride wind currents, but since it never really explores what she's thinking about how she's gliding, it kinda comes off as just another one of her supernatural messiah abilities.