Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:doh: never thought of checking out youtube tutorials but that makes perfect sense! I will check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Now that I've gotten used to navigation on the iPad navigation, I miss having those options on my iPhone SE. I sometimes pull up the control center when I want the app view.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dear apple: allow masked unlock with the Apple Watch to work with the iPad please, tia.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Now that I've gotten used to navigation on the iPad navigation, I miss having those options on my iPhone SE. I sometimes pull up the control center when I want the app view.

For a few months I had an iPhone 11 and a work iPhone SE, and yeah I had the drat hardest time with the SE because it didn’t have face unlock and muscle memory kept just setting in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Trip report: no combination of USB/Lightning adapters/cables/etc would make my newer iPad Pro acknowledge my old Pencil’s existence. Confirmed Pencil works with an older Pro.

:(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

Trip report: no combination of USB/Lightning adapters/cables/etc would make my newer iPad Pro acknowledge my old Pencil’s existence. Confirmed Pencil works with an older Pro.

:(

Here's the compatibility chart:

Which model is your new iPad? If something isn't listed as compatible, trying to get it to work is most likely just going to be an exercise in frustration.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah the first gen pencil just does not work with anything not on that list.

sell it and buy a new one

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a mess, they should have just discontinued Apple Pencil 1 and had Apple Pencil 2 work with all iPads going forward.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a mess, they should have just discontinued Apple Pencil 1 and had Apple Pencil 2 work with all iPads going forward.

How would you charge the AP2 with an older ipad though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

How would you charge the AP2 with an older ipad though.
Lightning dongle

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's the compatibility chart:

Which model is your new iPad? If something isn't listed as compatible, trying to get it to work is most likely just going to be an exercise in frustration.

Didn’t know this chart existed. Old was 2nd gen, new is 4th. Thanks, it’s lame but oh well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

Didn’t know this chart existed. Old was 2nd gen, new is 4th. Thanks, it’s lame but oh well.

When you have two Apple products that aren't cooperating together, it's always good to find out if they're even compatible. That screen cap is from the store, but if you go to the support page for the product (in this case the pencil) it will tell what devices are compatible.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Murgos posted:

By the numbers:

A12X/Z has 2666 CPU Marks
A14 has 3468 CPU Marks
M1 has 3640 CPU Marks

A12X GPU 1200 GFLOPS
A12Z GPU 1350 GFLOPS
A14 GPU 748 GFLOPS
M1 6 Core GPU 2.29 TFLOPS
M1 8 Core GPU 2.6 TFLOPS

Real world I would expect some improvement in apps that were CPU bottle-necked previously but if things were fine before they won't change much. GPU wise these numbers are better and you should expect a good improvement on things that can take advantage of it.

Just for comparison the original PS4 GPU was 1.8 TFLOPS and the Pro was 4.2 TFLOPS (the PS5 is 10.2). Yeah the original PS4 came out 8 years ago, but I’m still impressed that a mobile GPU beats it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don’t know how to change to a floating keyboard when using Gboard.

If it’s already floating when switching from the default keyboard, it’ll float as Gboard. But I don’t know how to flip between floating and non floating with just gboard. The normal methods (like pinch) don’t work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

On iPhone in Chrome there’s a Zoom Text option for changing text size in whatever you’re viewing. I don’t see it on iPad. Does that mean the only way to change text size is via the global system setting (which isn’t what I’d like to use)?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If anyone is looking for a ssh/mosh client Blink Shell has open signups for their free version (App Store version is $20) available through TestFlight. TestFlight slots are limited so don’t sign up for it if you’re not going to use it as someone else could use it instead.

https://community.blink.sh

It’s also open source so you can build and deploy it yourself if you’re into that sort of stuff.

FWIW I’ve been using this for 4+ years or so and it’s pretty great. It supports the standard ssh stuff you’d expect but what makes it more amazing it it supports mosh which works great for mobile devices cause you’re essentially always connected. Was useful when I ran a Raspberry Pi server and could install mosh on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It appears to have no kerberos, making it useless for me to do work with as my employer requires it. Everything else about it looks pretty drat great though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I really need some of the main websites to do their reviews. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t get preview units and post said reviews the day before the Pro launched (unless I missed something).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Man, I really need some of the main websites to do their reviews. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t get preview units and post said reviews the day before the Pro launched (unless I missed something).
It should happen around when they're actually shipping, which isn't for 2-3 weeks still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

This might happen, but it doesn't launch for another couple weeks!

Spoilers: they will all say it's very fast, the screen looks great, and the slight increase in thickness isn't noticeable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Review: yep, it’s an iPad

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big news is gonna be during WWDC anyways. Assuming Apple actually has something big coming and it's not a bunch of nerds getting excited over hopes and dreams.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

a bunch of nerds getting excited over hopes and dreams.

Welcome to iOS for 14 years now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welcome to iOS for 14 years now.

lol yup

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Getting increasingly annoyed with my 32gb 5th Gen so I started the process of figuring out what to replace it with. A $350 8th Gen quickly turned into a $719 Air, into a possible $939 CAD 11” Pro preorder.

Now I’m just hoping I can keep talking myself out of the jump from an 11” Pro to a $1279 12.9” Pro. :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple making no mistakes with the way they set their price tiers. The next one up is always "just a little more."

When I feel that happening (with any purchase) I try to compare against what my original decision was, not what my current choice is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Getting increasingly annoyed with my 32gb 5th Gen so I started the process of figuring out what to replace it with. A $350 8th Gen quickly turned into a $719 Air, into a possible $939 CAD 11” Pro preorder.

Now I’m just hoping I can keep talking myself out of the jump from an 11” Pro to a $1279 12.9” Pro. :ohdear:

I’ll say it again. I fuckin love my 12.9 and can’t wait for the new one. I love the size and for me it really is light.

I use it for reading in bed a lot with no issues.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Apple making no mistakes with the way they set their price tiers. The next one up is always "just a little more."

When I feel that happening (with any purchase) I try to compare against what my original decision was, not what my current choice is.
I tend to oscillate between "gently caress it I'm cheap!" and "gently caress it I have money!" The former usually wins out while the latter comes more into play if I've been waiting a while and something fits my particular needs/wants (vs just kinda settling for something).

To relate to the thread, for a basic iPad mini update I'd wait for a deal or just skip entirely. For an iPad Air/Pro like full screen update I'd be throwing money at the store immediately. (...and by store I mean Costco cause they'd probably have a slight deal)

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 9, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll say it again. I fuckin love my 12.9 and can’t wait for the new one. I love the size and for me it really is light.

I use it for reading in bed a lot with no issues.

Fortunately I’m in no frantic rush to buy, but I definitely see the appeal of the 12.9”.

The price bump is the barrier for me. After taxes the 12.9” clocks in at a whopping $1432.48 CAD for the base config with no accessories or AppleCare+. The 11” at $1051.68 is a somewhat easier sell.

I’ll probably wait till I can see the 12.9” with the new display in person and see if it dazzles me into making questionable financial decisions. :3:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Fortunately I’m in no frantic rush to buy, but I definitely see the appeal of the 12.9”.

The price bump is the barrier for me. After taxes the 12.9” clocks in at a whopping $1432.48 CAD for the base config with no accessories or AppleCare+. The 11” at $1051.68 is a somewhat easier sell.

I’ll probably wait till I can see the 12.9” with the new display in person and see if it dazzles me into making questionable financial decisions. :3:

spoiler: sounds like it will dazzle. lol.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Duckman2008 posted:

spoiler: sounds like it will dazzle. lol.

Probably!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

BGrifter posted:

Follow your bliss, live your best life! So far I've run through the OG 12.9 Pro, the 2018, and I'll be waiting till mid to early June for the 2021. On top of whatever else you may do with it, it's the best content consumption device Apple has ever made.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I traded in my Air 3 towards an Air 4 because I wanted the Apple Pencil 2 support, and so far I love it. I've only got one real complaint. The pencil doesn't work for swiping up to go home or for some things like swiping left/right on the Awful app to open up the thread list, so AFAIK I need to either carry a second stylus for that stuff or use my oily fingers on the screen. I dislike both of these options.

Is there some way to get the pencil to work for those things, or is there some kind of fiber-stylus cap I can fit on the blunt end of the pencil to just let me flip it around for those things?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Khizan posted:

I traded in my Air 3 towards an Air 4 because I wanted the Apple Pencil 2 support, and so far I love it. I've only got one real complaint. The pencil doesn't work for swiping up to go home or for some things like swiping left/right on the Awful app to open up the thread list, so AFAIK I need to either carry a second stylus for that stuff or use my oily fingers on the screen. I dislike both of these options.

Is there some way to get the pencil to work for those things, or is there some kind of fiber-stylus cap I can fit on the blunt end of the pencil to just let me flip it around for those things?

have you gone into the iPad OS settings panel? the settings panel in the SA app? there may be options to (re)enable those gestures

you may have to go to a bunch of disparate, unexpected spots, if my experience setting up a Logitech mouse a year ago still carries

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just got a charge notification for my iPad. Seems a bit early for it to be honest.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I just got a charge notification for my iPad. Seems a bit early for it to be honest.

That's definitely interesting. Usually you aren't charged until the item ships from its point of origin, which for iPhones is usually somewhere in South Korea.

Fingers crossed that these might arrive before 5/21!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

That's definitely interesting. Usually you aren't charged until the item ships from its point of origin, which for iPhones is usually somewhere in South Korea.

Fingers crossed that these might arrive before 5/21!

Yeah that was my understanding as well.

It seems kinda lame that they don’t ship out the trade in box early though. It would have been nice to have gotten that out of the way already.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
just got an email that my ipad has shipped. says it arrives on the 21st, as expected. pretty drat excited.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

George Kansas posted:

just got an email that my ipad has shipped. says it arrives on the 21st, as expected. pretty drat excited.

:same: and I didn’t even order right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
drat, I ordered right at 8 AM on the 30th and my order is still in “Processing “.