Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Hey thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, i thought that stuff was planned for a later patch.

i like the Dick growth curve (:v:) but pop builder buildings are silly and detract from the game i think. they make every stupid useless planet too useful and they're a bunch of dumb repetition to set up.

demolish all the useless poo poo including the districts, build a non-upgraded pop builder building and nothing else, turn off every job but assembler. your three assemblers will sit there making new pops for a trivial cost, and the new pops will migrate to one of your stacked lab/alloy/energy planets. this is, AFAICT, just the way you play machine civs now.

And hive minds, though you're building a spawning pool and a cloning facility.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can lithoids not clone? Can’t seem to build cloning bays in my current game and I def was able to in my last (standard organic) game

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Anyone have good tips on the endgame? I can roll through the whole game being a cool mega empire and the other empires couldn't hold a candle to anyone I play, but then the crisis rolls up and I get trashed. Is it fleet composition? Do I just need to Make More sooner? I tend to use the auto generated ship designs. It's becoming a bit of a trial to utterly destroy the galaxy as Determined Exterminators only to have the fallen empire wake up and do to me what I've been doing to everyone else. Just let me Be the Crisis in peace!

I can't really comment on your tech/fleet/eco without more info but on a good run I will be fielding ~400k combined fleet power and stomping fallen empires by 2350. As far as fleet comp goes fit as follows:

If fighting the Tyranids Prethoryn Scourge: Fit armor and energy weapons with some strike craft mixed in. Shields and kinetic weaponry are crap against them.

If fighting the Forces of Chaos Unbidden: Fit shields and disruptors/cloud lightning/arc emitters. Strike craft also work well. Anything that ignores shields will gently caress these guys up. Kinetic weapons are ok but don't bother running normal energy weapons.

If fighting the Necrons Contingency: Fit shields. Disruptors/cloud lightning/arc emitters work ok but so does a well balanced offense of energy and kinetic as these guys use rather balanced defenses.

If fighting a fallen empire: Fit a balance of shields and armor paired with disruptors/cloud lightning/arc emitters. These guys have crazy shields and armor but weak hulls. Mixing in some strike craft is also a good idea.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Also, losing a war to the fe after killing one of their ships let’s you research their weapon/shields if you can get a science ship to the debris and the next war will go better.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Can lithoids not clone? Can’t seem to build cloning bays in my current game and I def was able to in my last (standard organic) game

You need to unlock it with a ascension point in the evolution set now. I don't think you did before.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

a fatguy baldspot posted:

You can get Cloning Vats as a lithoid by going into the biological ascension perks, but Paradox decided it should cost food even for non-food using lithoids :(

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Bofast posted:

You can get Cloning Vats as a lithoid by going into the biological ascension perks, but Paradox decided it should cost food even for non-food using lithoids :(

This sounds like it would mesh reasonably well with the tree of life origin. I need to try this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You need to unlock it with a ascension point in the evolution set now. I don't think you did before.

No it was already like that before Dick.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want to try out the 3.0.3 beta, but my test game occasionally had all my growth resetting, which is either an annoying bug or a really annoying way of changing growth and either way I hate it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Anyone have good tips on the endgame? I can roll through the whole game being a cool mega empire and the other empires couldn't hold a candle to anyone I play, but then the crisis rolls up and I get trashed. Is it fleet composition? Do I just need to Make More sooner? I tend to use the auto generated ship designs. It's becoming a bit of a trial to utterly destroy the galaxy as Determined Exterminators only to have the fallen empire wake up and do to me what I've been doing to everyone else. Just let me Be the Crisis in peace!

There's your problem. Auto-designs stink out loud. Custom builds are the best.

I don't know which crisis you're facing so here's a quick & nasty guide.

Unbidden:

All Shields, no armor.
Full Kinetic, full disruptors/lightning/arc emitter, or a fuckload of missiles/strike craft.

Prethoryn:

All Armor/Hull, no shields
No Kinetic weapons, ever. Go all in on Plasma/Neutron/Tachyon. Support your fleets with a bunch of Destroyers loaded for bear with Point Defense/Flak to completely neutralize their offense.

Contingency:

Mix of Shields/Armor
Mix of Kinetic/Energy, favoring Energy. Only have enough kinetic weaponry to burn through their shields (basically just have a few Battleships with Giga Cannons+Kinetic Artillery).

By endgame you should have more battleships+titans than there are grains of sand on earth. Never build cruisers unless you're going for missiles.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 3, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Auto-design is so bad it doesn't even auto-design half the time.

Especially when you research new weapons/shields/whatever before you research reactors, the designer's just like "Welp not enough energy, let's just leave this stuff on" and then never update it again.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You can see how terrible auto design is later in the game when your bastions only have half their slots used, fwiw, because the game seems to budget the shields in before looking at weapons. usually you can trust for a semi-balanced defensive slot loadout if you've done the work to design all the weapon slots tho since it uses whatevers left when you tap auto-complete

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sloober posted:

You can see how terrible auto design is later in the game when your bastions only have half their slots used, fwiw, because the game seems to budget the shields in before looking at weapons. usually you can trust for a semi-balanced defensive slot loadout if you've done the work to design all the weapon slots tho since it uses whatevers left when you tap auto-complete

This should be fixed in 3.0.3

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hellioning posted:

I want to try out the 3.0.3 beta, but my test game occasionally had all my growth resetting, which is either an annoying bug or a really annoying way of changing growth and either way I hate it.
This is usually due to you genemodding all of an old class of pop out of existence and then the game has to choose a new one to grow (which is technically a different pop).

I agree the game forgetting your progress here is stupid

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was looking for some general tips but here's a little info from my last game. The Crisis was the Unbidden. Actually, they weren't an issue. They breached my galaxy in the L-cluster so I wiped them out within 5 years since they couldn't get out. However, I committed all my fleets to do this and as that crisis was ending one of the Fallen Empires woke up and set out to murder me immediately. I figure this was because I was already playing genocidal robots in stage 5 of the Become the Crisis ascendancy, just waiting out the megastructure build (and eating stars for dark matter). They come out swinging with several 100k fleets and I think my entire galactic armada summed less than 300k, even before casualties from the Unbidden. And they were all in the L-cluster, away from that action.

So what I'm picking up so far is to make way, way more ships and put some thought into their fleet design a lot more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you're on stage 5 of the crisis just spam out the mineral cruisers

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Strongly recommend making a Matter Decompressor as the crisis, near-infinite minerals!

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

And Tyler Too! posted:

Strongly recommend making a Matter Decompressor as the crisis, near-infinite minerals!

I prefer to pair the Matter Decompressor with a couple of ecumenopolis forge worlds to turn *all* of those minerals to alloys to feed a mega shipyard. A hoard of cruisers is no match for an equally large hoard of battleships.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had everything! Machine worlds, several megastructures including a matter decompressor and 3(!) ruined ringworlds scattered around the galaxy I repaired. I just had no fleet. Dunno how to effectively stock all these worlds I forged though. I would love to create specialty worlds but letting them create robots themselves seems to take forever and by 2400 I haven't even cracked 1000 pops yet. Maybe I should make a world stuffed with robot assemblers and resettle them constantly?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

scaterry posted:

Sorry for misunderstanding, I'm too used to previous patches where people would say constantly to build gene clinics first. I think by the time someone has 40+ pops on a non-100% habitability colony, they'll usually have a solution to habitability. That's like 50 years into the game!

I think it's common to have planets with less than 100% habitability for a very long time. Even your home world only starts out at 80% unless you're on one of the special starts. On my current BD game I easily hit 40 pops on my home world before I had researched any of the habitability techs, and even before I had researched gene clinics

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Your homeworld is 100% unless you have some hosed start that wrecks it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I had everything! Machine worlds, several megastructures including a matter decompressor and 3(!) ruined ringworlds scattered around the galaxy I repaired. I just had no fleet. Dunno how to effectively stock all these worlds I forged though. I would love to create specialty worlds but letting them create robots themselves seems to take forever and by 2400 I haven't even cracked 1000 pops yet. Maybe I should make a world stuffed with robot assemblers and resettle them constantly?

I didn't even know it was possible to find more than 1 ruined ringworld! That's insane!

So robot empires and machine intelligences are in rough shape I'm guessing, since they don't get the benefits of carrying capacity but still have to deal with the total pop penalty?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Your homeworld is 100% unless you have some hosed start that wrecks it.

Is it? I guess I don't pay attention to the actual number usually, since that's the one planet that you don't have to colonize

e: Your nearby worlds of the same type are 80% though, right?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 3, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

QuarkJets posted:

Is it? I guess I don't pay attention to the actual number usually, since that's the one planet that you don't have to colonize

Yepp, homeworld is always 100%, no modifiers same type worlds are 80%, same group(dry,cold or wet) are 60% and group mismatches are 20%.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Yes but you can get them to 100% as well with your second ascension perk if you take the flesh is weak.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 3, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to find more than 1 ruined ringworld! That's insane!

I'd assume that they came from various empires that started with ringworld starts, which are particularly likely if you have several premades that use that origin.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

This is usually due to you genemodding all of an old class of pop out of existence and then the game has to choose a new one to grow (which is technically a different pop).

I agree the game forgetting your progress here is stupid

I wasn't gene modding but I did take Mind over Matter recently. Maybe that's it?

EDIT: Yeah, that was probably it. I remembered it happened twice, so I was confused, but then I remembered I got the box event, which also genemods your species. I played another game and got the box event again, and yep, it happened.

Annoying.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Well, the Unbidden turned up, in my Matter Decompressor system of all places, but it was near one of my gates and my 2 million strong fleet smashed them in a few months. In total 45 ships were lost :killdozer:

Final comments on the game I just finished:
1) As Emperor I lost my Assimilation CB against everyone and could no longer declare war. Not sure that's intended since the Pax Galactica, which was not enabled, makes a point of saying it prevents the Emperor from attacking members which implies it should be allowed otherwise.

2) When the Unbidden showed up I set them to the Imperial focus, the screen flashed and I got an alert telling me the resolution had passed, but the Imperial focus window was blank.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Antillie posted:

I prefer to pair the Matter Decompressor with a couple of ecumenopolis forge worlds to turn *all* of those minerals to alloys to feed a mega shipyard. A hoard of cruisers is no match for an equally large hoard of battleships.

Oh, the crisis cruisers are pathetic. I zerg rush chumps with an absolute swarm of mineral corvettes while I feed the alloys to things with anime guns attached.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I would love to have an origin that is "normal start, but with a ruined matter decompressor next door". Then I could have two.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Can you do some trickery with creating a vassal that gets your matter decompressor, buildings a new one and re-integrating them? I haven't really messed with vassal stuff much in stellaris tbh.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

at that point just install Gigastructural Engineering and embrace a post-scarcity society

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Never mind post-scarcity, at the higher end of Gigastructures you're making meaningful progress on the Kardashev scale.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Never mind post-scarcity, at the higher end of Gigastructures you're making meaningful progress on the Kardashev scale.

i currently resolve most wars by teleporting a ship that uses an entire star as its engine directly on top of their fleets or if i'm lazy i just remotely detonate their home sun

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That sounds like it would be cool once and then extremely boring after

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want a reverse version of that that builds stars instead of blowing them up, I want to cook a system.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

yikes! posted:

That sounds like it would be cool once and then extremely boring after

going all in on on being an isolationist gigaengineer certainly isn't the most challenging experience but it's very relaxing to be so far ahead of everyone else that i get to play as the incomprehensible precursor race who does insane things based purely on whims

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

going all in on on being an isolationist gigaengineer certainly isn't the most challenging experience but it's very relaxing to be so far ahead of everyone else that i get to play as the incomprehensible precursor race who does insane things based purely on whims

At this point you've practically become the Culture.

Stefan Annon put out a new tier list :jerkbag: for origins in 3.0 and honestly I agree with his assessments. Machines empires are in a really good place, they take Doomsday and Shattered Ring from intentional handicaps to outright broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Can you do some trickery with creating a vassal that gets your matter decompressor, buildings a new one and re-integrating them? I haven't really messed with vassal stuff much in stellaris tbh.

I know you could do this with dyson spheres (no idea if it got patched), I'm sure matter decompressors work by the same rules.

I don't know whether this is true anymore, but the check on the number of megastructures (e.g. to enforce you having only 1 dyson sphere or matter decompressor or whatever) was only used when you were trying to build the 1st stage of that megastructure, so you could build the 1st stage somewhere, then abandon that system and build another 1st stage somewhere else, and repeat as many times as you want. When you were done building N stage-1 matter decompressors, you could then build outposts in all of those abandoned systems and proceed with upgrading the megastructures in the normal way.