Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ammanas posted:

not disagreeing but its entirely possible to catch covid and spread it even with a vaccine. the vaccine limits the damage covid does, i.e. death - it doesnt outright prevent catching covid.
It's also entirely possible that you will be the starting point guard for the Knicks next season, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's also entirely possible that you will be the starting point guard for the Knicks next season, but...

'...one thing is more likely than the other' is the rest of your sentence

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Ammanas posted:

'...one thing is more likely than the other' is the rest of your sentence
:allears: has never been more deserved.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Maestro posted:

My one minor gripe about it is that the winner of the 9-10 only has to beat the loser of the 7-8 once. Technically the loser of the 7-8 has to lose twice to be eliminated, but they should have to lose twice to the team who isn’t even in the playoffs, not lose twice in general. Having 3 play in games would be a bit much, but I think it’s absurd that you could potentially be a 7 seed and lose once to a 10 seed and not make the playoffs.

this is my issue as well, I think it should be a best of 3 between those two teams

also the schedule is super compact and doesn't give enough rest time to the 7 through 10 seeds compared to the others, especially given how compact the regular season has been this year

otherwise I like the play in and it's been nice to care about the regular season standings this close to the end of the season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
my team will not be in the play in and if anything probably stands to potentially benefit from it and I think it's very dumb

Ammanas posted:

not disagreeing but its entirely possible to catch covid and spread it even with a vaccine. the vaccine limits the damage covid does, i.e. death - it doesnt outright prevent catching covid.

i mean yes but the evidence at the moment suggests that it is extremely unlikely

The vaccine has wildly exceeded every expectation people need to stop being so pessimistic about it, it's not helping encourage people to go get it

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Booyah- posted:

this is my issue as well, I think it should be a best of 3 between those two teams

also the schedule is super compact and doesn't give enough rest time to the 7 through 10 seeds compared to the others, especially given how compact the regular season has been this year

The Playoffs already feel really long (not that I hate it, love more basketball), getting another series in there, and then making a team play maybe 3 more games before having to play the 1 or 2 seed on less rest just feels like it would make those first round matchups worse. A well rested 1 seed playing an 8 seed who just played 3 games.

Booyah- posted:

otherwise I like the play in and it's been nice to care about the regular season standings this close to the end of the season

Agree. I do really like the one-game and you're in system. Like you said, adds to the regular season ending standings watch and that one game feels like it's going to be must watch no matter what teams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Play-in keeps more teams involved, spices up the end of the season, is a damper on tanking, makes for a more competitive playoffs in general, bakes in some rest for the actually good playoff teams, and winner-take-all games are fun. The downsides are that low-seed teams have to work a little harder to be swept by a 1-2 contender and also apparently that it doesn't solve the unrelated issue of conference imbalance

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Basketball is so chalky that the playoffs were probably already too big, especially if you're going to have seven game series. The occasional 8-1 upset is very cool but it feels like the vast majority of the time those series are a boring blowout.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey everyone! A few months ago I asked for recommendations for a total beginner to basketball. On top of some great youtube channels a bunch of you recommended the FreeDarko guide to basketball history, and that book is FANTASTIC. Thank you so much! I found it hilarious, entertaining, and an awesome primer on the game's history that gave me a lot of context to things like "why is everyone always comparing Chamberlain and Russel?"

I appreciate everyone who took the time out to give me suggestions!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HookShot posted:

Hey everyone! A few months ago I asked for recommendations for a total beginner to basketball. On top of some great youtube channels a bunch of you recommended the FreeDarko guide to basketball history, and that book is FANTASTIC. Thank you so much! I found it hilarious, entertaining, and an awesome primer on the game's history that gave me a lot of context to things like "why is everyone always comparing Chamberlain and Russel?"

They have another too, though it's a little more rooted in 2008.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/kingjosiah54/status/1389248403800956929?s=21

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/ycsnow23/status/1389249713979920386?s=21

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Rough 15 hours for the LeBron James PR team.

fwiw I'm rooting for the lakers to make it back to the 5th or 6th seed

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

lmaoooo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Play-in tournament is good but make the 1v8 and 2v7 playoffs best of 5 again and the #1 seed can pick who they play

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
i've said this before, but i cannot believe how bad anfernee simons is on defense

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

morestuff posted:

They have another too, though it's a little more rooted in 2008.

This rules and I'm totally getting it, thanks!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

i've said this before, but i cannot believe how bad anfernee simons is on defense

Who's worse, Him or Coby White?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Who's worse, Him or Coby White?

i have not watched coby as much, but i can say with confidence that anfernee is the worst. he may literally be the worst defender in the league.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1389233613783199744?s=19

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Space Jam 2 only Lebron has to play a basketball game against Obama to defend his son's right to catch polio.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

When LeBron makes a rare bad move, it is always a real bad move.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

morestuff posted:

Play-in keeps more teams involved, spices up the end of the season, is a damper on tanking, makes for a more competitive playoffs in general, bakes in some rest for the actually good playoff teams, and winner-take-all games are fun. The downsides are that low-seed teams have to work a little harder to be swept by a 1-2 contender and also apparently that it doesn't solve the unrelated issue of conference imbalance

How does it make the playoffs more competitive in general? The play-in games are fun, but on average it will reduce the quality of matchups in the first round because you could fluke into a 30-win 10-seed in the playoffs.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

opposing teams are gonna be sending hot women over to cough on LeBron

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Papercut posted:

How does it make the playoffs more competitive in general? The play-in games are fun, but on average it will reduce the quality of matchups in the first round because you could fluke into a 30-win 10-seed in the playoffs.

Not that uncommon for a team to have a major star injured and coast on momentum into the seventh or eighth seed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

my liege noo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Kevin Love reveals he would love to play on a not dog poo poo team!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

Not that uncommon for a team to have a major star injured and coast on momentum into the seventh or eighth seed.

^

Boston might be a prime example of this case if Brown is down for the season. As great as Tatum and Payton Pritchard are, would they make a better opponent for the first round than the Pacers?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Papercut posted:

The play-in games themselves are going to be a lot more competitive even if the 1v8/2v7 (which weren't very competitive to start with) suffer somewhat. I bet in general a single play-in game is going to be more exciting that those series usually are.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1389285320089350144?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Clapped_Dre/status/1388722074764685313?s=19

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

morestuff posted:

You could just as likely have a star who would make it back in time for the first round but miss the play in, or have stars injured *during* the play-in and their team still win.

I agree that it makes the regular season and play-ins themselves more competitive but I think it's much more likely to make the 1st round less interesting than more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Papercut posted:

You could just as likely have a star who would make it back in time for the first round but miss the play in, or have stars injured *during* the play-in and their team still win.

That’s a very small window vs. the last like month or two of the season

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

jesus

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/FantasyLabsNBA/status/1389283264016306177
This could end the Mavs season if it gets worse. They have a losing record without Maxi.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This is the right way to avoid a fine.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

HookShot posted:

Search for Making the Case on YouTube.
The kid running it gets a couple of facts wrong, but not too many, the production and effort though are both just excellent, and he's got a writing and speaking style that makes it hard not to get caught up with his sense of passion and awe for the great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron is not back