Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Are you really even playing Baldur's Gate if your ranged characters' inventory isn't totally full of stacks of +1/2/3/acid/fire/ice/biting etc ammo, while their quiver is full of normal unenchanted ammo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm fairly sure I beat Aec'letec using Potion of Mirrored Eyes and haste the last time I played through BG1. The very first time I used arrows of dispel. I kind of feel bad because I looked at a guide but that was a pretty hard fight for a party of level 7 characters.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to admit that I beat Saverok by flooding him with gnolls.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mans posted:

I have to admit that I beat Saverok by flooding him with gnolls.

I do have a memory of fill the room with wolves that killed him in the original game, but I have no idea how I managed to do that while killing all his allies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

bike tory posted:

Are you really even playing Baldur's Gate if your ranged characters' inventory isn't totally full of stacks of +1/2/3/acid/fire/ice/biting etc ammo, while their quiver is full of normal unenchanted ammo?

See, I used to do this, fire arrows in particular are for Special Troll Slaying Business Only, sir, but ToB introduced the endless quivers of +gently caress you that's why. And there's even some bows and crossbows that generate their own ammo! For free!

Of course that doesn't mean I don't have some 500 magical arrows stashed away in a bag somewhere, that's loot! Loot, man! Look at it!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just finished Durlag's Tower again. The Demon Knight was fine once I got him to aim his Fireball (and Power Word: Stun) at my Dwarven Defender with the fire resist ring.

Aec'letec was tougher. I'm sure the Cultists have been buffed since I last played through. The first time I took him down, he'd Death Gaze'd my Cleric and - with my Inquisitor silenced - that ruined that attempt. The second time, he Held my Thief and chunked her.
I spammed a bunch of Fireballs to thin out the Cultists, but still had to wade into melee on my third attempt, but Aec had fixated on my Dwarven Defender (gotta love the little runt) and an AC of -11 kept him at bay while we chopped him down.

I'm debating doing the Werewolf Isle. On the one hand, I'd like to do most of the content; on the other hand, that content loving sucks and the loot just isn't worth the ball-ache.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having to use the console to progress the Jaheira's Harpers quest is such a common thing that it's an active suggestion on quest guides :allears:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

bike tory posted:

I've never felt so attacked by a forum post before

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Hot tip about Aec'Letec regardless of your strategy. The fight area isn't a "you must gather your party" like Kangaxx's. He keeps picking on someone and they're almost dead? Send them upstairs. He won't follow. Heal up, come back down.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Mans posted:

Having to use the console to progress the Jaheira's Harpers quest is such a common thing that it's an active suggestion on quest guides :allears:

I could never get that to work right when the romance was active. I could make the NPC appear but his dialogue would never trigger right.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The "lovetalk" variable that progressed romances was a local one to NPC (or maybe the PC) so you had to have the character selected before typing the console command. And the command had to be exact, an extra space anywhere and it wouldn't work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pentyne posted:

I do have a memory of fill the room with wolves that killed him in the original game, but I have no idea how I managed to do that while killing all his allies.

With perfect position you can engage Sarevok while keeping his buddies safe and sound behind fog of war.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I did the Sarevok fight earlier this evening, aggro-d just him by inching forward and he still called in Semaj straight away. Once Semaj was down, Angelo ported in to fire his Arrows of Detonation at point-blank range, because gently caress you Angelo.

After that, Sarevok died like a chump; Greater Malison and then a couple of charges from a Wand of Paralysis, and then my melee fighters chopped him down.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I definitely have a tendency to not use consumables in RPGs, but I use a fair amount of stuff in BG1 because once you get to the city money is not a problem, and you lose everything at the end of the game anyway so might as well use it. Now with Siege you can keep your stuff into the next part but it doesn't seem so challenging that I need to save much stuff for it. Just charge up the wands and stock up on arrows since SoD takes all your money.

It is interesting to read about different people's playstyles. For instance I do not use summons at all, I concentrate on buffing up the party members and direct fighting. I used to use the wand of summoning a fair amount but I stopped and figured out other strategies. Summons are just kind of dumb, you get more control over your party members which I like. I do like to use images and simulacrums once they become available. I remember once battling improved Abazigail and killing him entirely with simulacrums while my actual party members just stood back. I also don't use any of the cloud spells and I don't actually use Web or any of those disablers either anymore.

Magic arrows I use all over the place, they are the great equalizers in BG1. Once you start getting money in BG1 I think some magic arrows are probably the best way to spend it. Potions I use a lot as well, but mostly for certain situations. My team is seriously buffed up for most of the key fights in Durlag's, fighting Sarevok and other late encounters using potions and spells. Taking the ironman mindset I feel like certain potions really give you the reliable protection you need to be SURE to survive. I'm also fond of giving my fighters a potion of haste, a potion of regeneration, a potion of giant strength and a potion of heroism for areas where you have to fight through a bunch of poo poo, like the caves under Durlag's with all the super-ghouls or fighting through the cultists in Ulgoth's Beard.

Playing Nethack a lot gave me the habit of having escape items for my character, like a cursed potion of gain level or a wand of digging or teleport. You don't have that as much in BG, but a potion of invisibility is pretty good in a lot of situations.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 5, 2021

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pre-buff, use consumables, rest after every fight. :w00t:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played Pillars of Eternity yet but I heard about the IE Mod that can remove the Camp Supplies system so that you can

rope kid posted:

Pre-buff, use consumables, rest after every fight. :w00t:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Consumable are wild. Just killed Sarevok as well, I was so buffed my Berserker PC+Dorn killed him before Edwin could even finish dispelling his mage's protections. My dual wield THAC0 was at like -5/0 and I was doing 30+ damage a swing.

It was funny as hell though when I was in the middle of furiously mircoing my casters when the end of game cutscene started playing out of nowhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So how many in-game weeks do you guys spend in the bg2 tutorial dungeon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only potions I truly hate are the elemental resistance ones, like when am I supposed to use these things

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jay Rust posted:

The only potions I truly hate are the elemental resistance ones, like when am I supposed to use these things

I think I have only ever used them for dragons

Jay Rust posted:

Does anyone not just load down Jaheira with all healing spells?

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jay Rust posted:

That's one of the changes in Sword Coast Strategems... it allows you one rest inside Irenicus's Dungeon. I don't think I ever did it, one rest? Just one? Madness.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's one of the changes in Sword Coast Strategems... it allows you one rest inside Irenicus's Dungeon. I don't think I ever did it, one rest? Just one? Madness.

IIRC you can rest once in the base game. Imoen comments something to the effect of "jeez that's brave, shouldn't we be getting out of here?", then leaves your party and teleports out to the surface (or her belt does it for her, technically) if you try to rest again because she's not spending one more minute down there.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I rest once usually, mostly to have Imoen memorize actually useful spells. When I run out of healing spells I start using potions. I still walk out of the intro dungeon with some spare extra healing ones.

Sometimes I feel the thread and I play different games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s no wrong way to play, but my way (minimal resting, traps and locks turned off, no pickpocketing + reloading on failure) is definitely the correct way

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://youtu.be/DBXA-eqIt58

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

loving weird that they left the comma pause.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLuxizt_Es

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks to this handsome bastard, one full hour!

I do remember beating Improved Ilyich at least once as a kid, no idea how :ohno:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rappaport posted:

Thanks to this handsome bastard, one full hour!

I do remember beating Improved Ilyich at least once as a kid, no idea how :ohno:

by making a level 17 sorcerer in ToB and importing him into SoA :eng101:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

by making a level 17 sorcerer in ToB and importing him into SoA :eng101:

I'm almost sure one of the characters I did this with, and I guess it was a bit on the tough side, was a fairly unminmaxed elven mage thief straight from murdering Sarevok. I sort of wish I still had the monomania of a teenager to spend an entire day trying the same dumb stuff over and over. But also, I don't. :shrug:

Sadly, the saves must been lost to computers dying well over a decade ago.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I did it with infinite traps by dual classing Yoshimo then cancelling. That bug has been fixed in the EE, IIRC.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have probably a dumb question. I have been playing BG1:EE and I used a mod to make Khalid a Fighter/Mage. However for some reason he is unable to scribe the Sleep spell, and I think a couple other spells. What is the reason for this?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have probably a dumb question. I have been playing BG1:EE and I used a mod to make Khalid a Fighter/Mage. However for some reason he is unable to scribe the Sleep spell, and I think a couple other spells. What is the reason for this?

He might have learned the maximum number of level 1 spells for his intelligence. Drink a potion of genius and see if that does anything.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He might have learned the maximum number of level 1 spells for his intelligence. Drink a potion of genius and see if that does anything.

If the mod doesn't alter his intelligence, it's 15, which grants maximum 11 spells scribed per level. It can get a bit micromanagement-y, but it's not a disaster either. Does BG1 throw intelligence potions at you like they're iced tea? BG2 definitely does.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Most temples sell a stack of potions of genius, at least in BG2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't decide what to play in BG:EE

So, twice in my life I've gotten all the way to the final dungeon, was a little too burnt out to start what I thought would be quite a long crawl, put the game down, and then decided to start over when I returned. I've done that twice now and I'm resolved to finally finish this game.

I'm a couple hours in and I've unfortunately just realized that cleric retains weapon restrictions after multi classing, so now I don't know what to play. I had been intending thief/cleric dual class to retain swords and bows while gaining both spells and decent THACO.

I want to play someone who can use some magic, but not a pure wizard, and the weapon restrictions are a big turn off for cleric and druid; I definitely want to use a bow. So my choices would be:

Mage/Fighter
Mage/Thief
Bard.

I'm leaning towards the Fighter, or maybe the Bard. I'd love to hear thoughts about this, particularly from people with experience with BG2, which I've never really played much. I don't need to have the BEST character, but I'll be a bit disappointed if my PC is clearly worse than the rest of the party.

For stats I reroll until I have at least 88 points, because I'm not being out done by childhood friend Imoen, so I'll probably have high enough stats to hit warrior only bonuses, but probably not straight 18s in every relevant stat. Strength will probably end up being the lowest of my non-ignored attributes.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 6, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've decided to go with Berserker in BG:EE with the intention of dualing out to something else in BG2. The great thing about going Berserker is when I do decide to dual, there won't really be any wrong choices. At that point I can choose mage, cleric or thief depending on that party I want to have. That's my plan anyway. My party has just been me, thief Imoen, fighter/druid Jaheira and fighter/mage Khalid and it feels like all the bases are covered. Being a low level mage sucks in BG1, sure theres some neat things you can do but ultimately its always going to be crappier than a good warrior. So far I kind of regret making Khalid a Fighter/Mage because the only thing I've had him do as a mage is Identify things and cast Protection from Petrify or whatever when I fought the basilisks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I never thought of dualing Khalid, that's very interesting. Isn't he a half elf? I didn't realize they could dual class.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
bard is real poo poo in BG1. They're decent in mid-late BG2 though, but fighter/mages are way more powerful, both dual and multiclassed. Mage/thief is good, but really shines once you get HLA's (use any item!), and before that F/M is definitely better. Kensai/Mage is the ur-powerclass.

If you'd like to play a cleric dualclass that feels powerful and is fun might I suggest berserker/cleric dualclass? Berserker until lvl 9, then dual over at the start of BG2. You're powerful throughout the whole trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jack B Nimble posted:

I never thought of dualing Khalid, that's very interesting. Isn't he a half elf? I didn't realize they could dual class.

He's a multiclass, I used a mod to do it. This mod: https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/