Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Cats and dogs jumping into battle and making blue and yellow status fart clouds everywhere is ridiculous, ngl. Like I love it but it looks silly.

I get why they let you bring your buddy to 4 players hunts, so you can ride your dog around. They could have just left them off to the side to idle until you called them though. I get thats an option you can pick but no one will actually pick that.

As soon as you enter combat, everyone's dogs should group up on the sidelines and form a cheerleading squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I do wonder if they're going to do something about all the LBGs. Admittedly I just joined the LBG bandwagon, but it seems to be way safer with no real downsides other than not feeling like a bamf when I meteor strike a monster in the head.

Instead I feel like a bamf as I whip around with my wirebugs and slice tails off and knock monsties over with stickies while the party cheers my presence on.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I started with LBG just to mix things up before becoming a GL main (with a stop at the first love, CB, along the way). It's a fun weapon, especially solo, but MP can be a lot more OP though a few monsters will go out of their way to chase you down occasionally.

I don't mind LBGs in the hunt at all, it's just Pierce crit effects that are over the top.

I wish there were more sticky gunners in general, LBG or HBG. Always nice to see the acne on the monster's face and know that openings are coming!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Triarii posted:

As soon as you enter combat, everyone's dogs should group up on the sidelines and form a cheerleading squad.

OSU!
TATAKAE!
OUENDOGGGGGG!!!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think maybe I don't understand how raw vs. elemental damage works. I tried the new long 5 gunlance, which has a lower raw but higher overall value if you count the elemental damage, and it seems like my attacks against the training dummy aren't hitting as hard. IIRC shelling is completely independent of weapon damage, but doing a full burst combo into wyrmstake was giving me about 100 less damage

Edit: Haa, never mind, I forgot to account for sharpness. The new one only goes up to blue

404notfound fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 3, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Found out the hard way that if you meld a talisman that's in use on a loadout, then you can no longer even edit that loadout. It's greyed out and all you can do is delete it.

Took that as an excuse to update all my gunner builds with the new decos. It's amazing what you can fit in there now that we have all the decos. Many of my sets are using no-skill 3-2-1 armor pieces and you then just slot in all the poo poo you want.

So I'm grinding decos almost full time and I love it: every single deco should be usable in g-rank too.

I hope they don't don't add the multi-skill deco stuff they pulled in IB though. Don't blow the power curve in HR events, Capcom! We don't need more skills than we can already fit right now. No beta and gamma sets, please.

Like give us lots of tough mons, just don't blow the power curve by making their armors and weapons obsolete all the current stuff. Make them sidegrades.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

404notfound posted:

I think maybe I don't understand how raw vs. elemental damage works. I tried the new long 5 gunlance, which has a lower raw but higher overall value if you count the elemental damage, and it seems like my attacks against the training dummy aren't hitting as hard. IIRC shelling is completely independent of weapon damage, but doing a full burst combo into wyrmstake was giving me about 100 less damage

IIRC the hitzones on the training dummy highly favor raw.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

neurotech posted:

Looks like I have a new weapon to try. Tell me more about your build!

https://mhrise.wiki-db.com/sim/show...3ZWwgMhAD?hl=en

That should be it I think. You'll have to play around based on what charms you have.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way I understand it working is raw and elemental damage are applied independently but elemental damage is resisted less despite being the smaller number, which can tip the total amount of damage that gets through to a monster if it's even moderately vulnerable to that element. Having a lot of raw damage is like the spongey base part of the cake and the right element is the icing that makes it an irresistible treat.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

404notfound posted:

Edit: Haa, never mind, I forgot to account for sharpness. The new one only goes up to blue

This covers elemental Gunlance among other stuff, maybe useful though it seems you've figured it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhu1mhEmtQ

I'm sticking with raw until I play SnS or Lance. Though I've gone crit/protective polish with Araknalance to improve slap damage, going elemental with a full burst style seems overkill for what's at most 40-50% of the damage.

I hope shelling scales into the endgame, full burst is just a fun style to play.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Saint Freak posted:

https://mhrise.wiki-db.com/sim/show...3ZWwgMhAD?hl=en

That should be it I think. You'll have to play around based on what charms you have.

Thanks. What weapon are you using?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which is Monster Hunter's greatest NEET: Almudron, Val Hazaak, or Nakarkos?

Val. She's a socially awkward hikikomori who lives in filth, but enjoys the sight of a good bath. She never comes out of the basement.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ehhhh

i tried GU after playing a ton of World and I bounced off of it so drat hard. GU doesnt have nearly as many quality-of-life stuff and it just is a death by a thousand cuts kinda thing where any one annoyance isnt a deal breaker, but they add up very quickly and it makes the game feel like a slog imo

I vastly prefer World over GU

tbf tho, the hunter arts are pretty drat cool

i feel like it mostly wildly varies based on the person if they would be fine with getting into GU to the point where i don't feel bad recommending it. it's by far like the cheapest option out there when it comes to the more recent monster hunter games and especially with rise it's not as weird of a translation for someone to get used to as it might be going from world to GU. like i absolutely won't ever pretend that there isn't quality of life stuff that the more modern games brought in that was massively for the better, but, if someone is really enjoying their time with monster hunter and has 20 bucks to spare then GU is going to give them an absolutely overwhelming amount of monster hunter to chew through.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nushala seems to lose some of the ranged breath attacks when poisoned which is cool to see after they dropped the Kushala poison mechanic for World. I only tried the poison knives a couple times so it may have been coincidence, but I doubt it from how much Rise seems to take from the pre-World games (GU anyway)

Not as useful as preventing the dreaded black tornados from pre-World, but hey no more dreaded black tornados to stick around forever either.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

neurotech posted:

Thanks. What weapon are you using?

Teostra's sa

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The new ninja SnS weapon looks cool and the moveset is fun, what should I look to build for to make a good SnS set? It's hard to pick another weapon besides Bow which feels like it just does infinite damage all the time but I'd like to give it a try.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC the hitzones on the training dummy highly favor raw.

100 raw on the head, 30 elemental
60/20 on the body

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Magna the best non-pierce lbg for spread/stickies or is one of the new ones better?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Reiley posted:

The new ninja SnS weapon looks cool and the moveset is fun, what should I look to build for to make a good SnS set? It's hard to pick another weapon besides Bow which feels like it just does infinite damage all the time but I'd like to give it a try.

A nice comfy set would be bludgenor 3 for extra damage with green sharpness, minds eye 3 to prevent bouncing and 30% extra damage on non-weak parts, and crit boost 3 to take advantage of the 100% affinity. Then whatever else, maybe some attack boost.

Just uh yeah don't expect to do bow damage. Its fun to just whack any part of the monster tho. Especially in multiplayer where they jump around like they are on crack.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

If you look VERY CAREFULLY, you can see a Rathian underneath the light show. :v:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1389318439328616450

:v: I've had multiple 3x LBG ally hunts lately and one 3x LS.

Built out the new Narga LBG set with Spare Shot then ditched it for AB4 since I never seem to have ammo issues with Pierce 2, but maybe I should switch back.

SS is great with the sticky/slicing/spread build, not gonna drop it there.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Huxley posted:

Is Magna the best non-pierce lbg for spread/stickies or is one of the new ones better?

I've stuck with Magna for LBG, the other lvl 3 ammos are great to have even without their Up skills. It's just so flexible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I really hate Bazelgeuse. Guess it's time to farm dung.

What? He's a puppy dog in Rise. A cute explosive puppy dog that sometimes shits on the floor but he's just so innocent.

It's not cool to rub a dog's nose in their own poop.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

:v: I've had multiple 3x LBG ally hunts lately and one 3x LS.

Built out the new Narga LBG set with Spare Shot then ditched it for AB4 since I never seem to have ammo issues with Pierce 2, but maybe I should switch back.

SS is great with the sticky/slicing/spread build, not gonna drop it there.

On shorter hunts (Narwa) Spare Shot tends to be better since it means less reloads and more attack generally means like 1 extra damage per hit.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

pixaal posted:

What? He's a puppy dog in Rise. A cute explosive puppy dog that sometimes shits on the floor but he's just so innocent.

It's not cool to rub a dog's nose in their own poop.

In high rank in World he shows up every time I'm fighting something else and peppers the area with bombs causing me to fail.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

In high rank in World he shows up every time I'm fighting something else and peppers the area with bombs causing me to fail.

*Bazel shows up, carpet bombs the area, then stands next to you and roars seven times in a row while the target monster beats your rear end*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

*Bazel shows up, carpet bombs the area, then stands next to you and roars seven times in a row while the target monster beats your rear end*

Good bagel

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
bagel is contractually obligated to interrupt as many songs with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2uF7WEqDQ as is possible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I sometimes like to read it as beelze a goose and call him Satan's Goose.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

*Bazel shows up, carpet bombs your keyboard, then roars seven times in a row as you try to click on the post button*

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bazel is a good boy and I will hear no slander against him.

He is a friend to all children.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hogama posted:

bagel is contractually obligated to interrupt as many songs with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2uF7WEqDQ as is possible.

honestly as long as bagel still has this theme bagel can do no wrong

(this includes the Rise redux of it)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bagel's theme is a step down in Rise from what it was in world, but even then it'd be hard to compete with chameleos' theme which is probably the best in at least this game. Really looking forward to the orchestra version when they have the next one, because there's no way they'd leave it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQ9x81dLu8

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 4, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's the fastest way to get the top tier deco jewels, I'm just about done making all the HR armor in the game and now I guess I'll go insane making all the decos too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

In Training posted:

What's the fastest way to get the top tier deco jewels, I'm just about done making all the HR armor in the game and now I guess I'll go insane making all the decos too.

You look up their mats then hunt the respective monsters :v:

E: Someone made a video where they just head to a non-target monster, ride it to the target, then make them beat each other for three shiny drops a piece, then they return from quest. That sounds boring as gently caress, though.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 4, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He meant lazurite jewels specifically. The apex hunts (arzuros, mizu, rathian) guarantee at least one and can sometimes give up to 7-8.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Bagel's theme is a step down in Rise from what it was in world

That's funny, cause I think Bazel's theme in Rise is one of the only ones that's an improvement over the World/IB renditions.

Teo's theme in Rise in particular upsets me, cause it lost all the build-up and regality that it got in World.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'm mad Teostra won't walk around a bit and sit down with his paws crossed so I can open the fight with some barrel bombs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He meant lazurite jewels specifically. The apex hunts (arzuros, mizu, rathian) guarantee at least one and can sometimes give up to 7-8.

I did a hunt where I fainted once and didnt get a jewel from Apex Rathalos.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I did a hunt where I fainted once and didnt get a jewel from Apex Rathalos.

You can't get them from rampages - only from the normal apex hunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I specifically referred to and meant the non-rampage Apex hunts of which there’s just 3 right now.

Hunting the other 2.0 elders also works but the apex can be easier to deal with.