Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

12 seems unlikely unless there's a major boost.

Shame there isn't a precedent for kickstarters getting a huge boost in the final days ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

$4.1mil reached :toot:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Last 24 hours doing at least half of what the first 24 did is a safe bet and were not even in the last 48 yet.
This looks great

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Excited for the Zombie Nightmare watchalong tonight. I think I've only seen it once before but as Rock 'N Roll Nightmare teaches us Jon Mikl Thor vanity projects are always :discourse:.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Excited for the Zombie Nightmare watchalong tonight. I think I've only seen it once before but as Rock 'N Roll Nightmare teaches us Jon Mikl Thor vanity projects are always :discourse:.

Zombie Nightmare is on Wednesday. Tonight they’re playing Jackbox games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

And given that Mary Jo and Josh’s livestream appearances both included the announcement that they’re writing and appearing on the new season, it seems like a pretty safe bet that Bill will be involved too.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up about that, but it does seem likely. I wonder if they'll let him voice Crow for a theater segment or if they'll just have him do some writing and Brain Guy. My weird "probably won't be granted" wish is that they let Mary Jo riff for a minute. It's a lot to ask for 12 episodes that they include so many people in the theater segments, though, especially when they're already experimenting with the multiple casts model.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up about that, but it does seem likely. I wonder if they'll let him voice Crow for a theater segment or if they'll just have him do some writing and Brain Guy. My weird "probably won't be granted" wish is that they let Mary Jo riff for a minute. It's a lot to ask for 12 episodes that they include so many people in the theater segments, though, especially when they're already experimenting with the multiple casts model.

Hmm maybe a riff-swap? Like Pearl and Kinga and Brain Guy go in the theatre and riff.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

He could be Joel’s Crow for the episode(s) he riffs, with Josh doing Joel’s Servo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMRsVs5skU

Honestly, this movie is great. I watched it expecting to have a snarky laugh and I came away cheering for the guy. Watch it if you're interested in Thor, it's on Youtube to rent/buy. JMT rules.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I would think the multiple cast angle would make that MORE likely

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ballz posted:

He could be Joel’s Crow for the episode(s) he riffs, with Josh doing Joel’s Servo.

Joel has hinted that each host will have their own bots, with different voices.

Jonah has Baron and Hampton.

Emily will almost certainly have the live show cast. They've been appearing in a bunch of the livestreams this past week, and they're definitely involved for next season.

Joel? Yeah, I bet he'll end up with J. Elvis and Bill, especially since it's only for an episode or two.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

WhiteHowler posted:

Joel has hinted that each host will have their own bots, with different voices.

Jonah has Baron and Hampton.

Emily will almost certainly have the live show cast. They've been appearing in a bunch of the livestreams this past week, and they're definitely involved for next season.

Joel? Yeah, I bet he'll end up with J. Elvis and Bill, especially since it's only for an episode or two.

I thought it's straight up been announced this way: live show bots are with Emily, Netflix bots are with Jonah. ???? bots are with Joel.

Another Servo possibility for Joel (if J. Elvis only wants to do Dr. Erhardt) is the original live tour Servo. I forget the guy's name but he showed up on one of the earlier livestreams this week.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I didn’t notice it right away, but the strange wording on this graphic certainly could be interpreted as a clue.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

94% of the way to the 9-ep goal
75% of the way to the 12-ep goal

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

I didn’t notice it right away, but the strange wording on this graphic certainly could be interpreted as a clue.

Oh man, yeah, now I'm definitely getting my hopes up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New backer email out contains Gizmoplex designs!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Joel says they're working on including Cinematic Titanic, RiffTrax and the Film Crew into the Gizmoplex after it launches, which would be neat.

Also, buried in one of the concept drawings for the Gizmoplex lobby are some standees for the movies "War of the Robots," "War of the Planets" and "Death Dimension." (Plus a fourth with a Japanese-style arch over it that's otherwise illegible.)

Despite the name I can't find anything about whether or not Death Dimension was released in 3D. Also, it looks like the poster they used for "War of the Planets" was one used for an 8mm edit of "This Island Earth," rather than the Italian feature by the same name. Maybe these are Season 13 movies, but maybe not!

Edit: Death Dimension was rated R, so maybe it's not on the docket.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 3, 2021

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

For anyone concerned about the chances of making the full $5.5 million, a chart from the latest Kickstarter update.

It’s certainly not in the bag, but there’s plenty of reason to feel good about its chances.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

Joel says they're working on including Cinematic Titanic, RiffTrax and the Film Crew into the Gizmoplex after it launches, which would be neat.

That would be cool. I've never seen any Cinematic Titanic stuff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty sure it is all on Tubi, which is free.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tl;dr of the latest Gizmoplex update:

Joel: "It's not just a video streaming service!"
Ivan: "It's totally a video streaming service."

Don't get me wrong, I'm onboard, I'm backing the kickstarter enough to get the full pass and all that. But... this still kind of sounds like an overly-skeuomorphic Microsoft Bob lobby screen that you click through to get to the actual video.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was thinking the theatre screens felt like some kind of next-gen Myst. :v:

As long as it's easy to get to the content I don't mind that much, although it was funny to see the "normal" mockup for other sites and think "cool" and then they give the other layouts.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Pretty much stole my post.

But anyway, important to note I was wrong and the thread was right; the new episodes will still be available on demand more than a month after release.

They're even coming to Shout's streaming service 4-6 months after release which feels like it might undercut the business model of the Gizmoplex but whatever.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I can’t help but feel like the kind of person who was still asking, “but what is The Gizmoplex?” is probably just going to be even more confused by Joel’s description here. I get what he’s going for, but Joel can’t help but describe what’s not a particularly complicated website in overly grandiose terms.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also, have to admit that the claim that this will be a totally bespoke digital experience seems sort of at odds with the claim that this will be totally cheap to develop.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Gizmoplex is yet another streaming subscription to pay for, right?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fsif posted:

Also, have to admit that the claim that this will be a totally bespoke digital experience seems sort of at odds with the claim that this will be totally cheap to develop.

Ehhh, I get where it feels like a contradiction, but it makes sense, at least in theory. They’re focusing their effort on the part that you’ll actually see and interact with, and not reinventing the wheel for the rest. It could all go to poo poo in the execution, but it at least makes theoretical sense.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

fsif posted:

The Gizmoplex will be built on top of the Vimeo platform, which will handle the heavy lifting for live and on-demand streaming. So they just have to build the stuff around the edges.

It's not a trivial undertaking, but they're not exactly building a new Netflix from the ground up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Basically what it sounds like is going to happen is that the Gizmoplex is a streaming service that you can pay a monthly subscription for but also can just outright buy the content you want.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my impression is that it's basically the Rifftrax model with a gimmick.

this is in no way a criticism.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/film/mst3k

recommended: alien factor, rattlers, scctm, war of the insects, wasp woman, doomsday machine

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

The Gizmoplex will be built on top of the Vimeo platform, which will handle the heavy lifting for live and on-demand streaming. So they just have to build the stuff around the edges.

It's not a trivial undertaking, but they're not exactly building a new Netflix from the ground up.

Right, I get that conceptually they're going to just be stitching together a bunch of re-skinned software. But that's still a lot! They're not even taking the easy route with the UI.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

my impression is that it's basically the Rifftrax model with a gimmick.

this is in no way a criticism.

well mst3k is rifftrax with a gimmick so that fits

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nishi koichi posted:

recommended: alien factor, rattlers, scctm, war of the insects, wasp woman, doomsday machine

Doomsday Machine is kind of goofy because it was a Monster A Go Go situation where someone else bought an unfinished movie and just cobbled something together. The effects work wasn't done either so the spaceship is just constantly changing shape.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

nishi koichi posted:

Also recommend The Film Crew doing Hollywood After Dark for some very racy in her prime Rue McClanahan. Its one of those extremely bleak terrible early 60s movies.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

fsif posted:

They're using Vimeo. I assume they'll do static art for the page that surrounds the video window.

Seems to be three key points here for the midterm success of the platform:
1. Watch parties with non-subscribers. I can certainly see asking friends who already subscribe if they want to watch MST3K with me on the Plex, but the calculus shifts a bit if there's an extra charge per friend. Granted, if you go out to the movies with friends you all spend much more than 99 cents to see a film. But if the alternative is gathering in person at someone's house with snacks and watching for free, I am uncertain. I suppose watching with friends or family at a distance would still be useful.

2. Live event sales. You could easily charge $5 or even $10 for a live event ticket, depending on the event. A premiere episode with Q & A afterwards might work, but I think they need more than that. I wonder if, with streaming rights via Shout, they could have live event live-riffs that are in addition to regular MST episodes? I bet people might pay for a 1/week "hang out and watch MST" with a handful of the cast, similar to the Kickstarter stuff they've been doing, and that wouldn't demand as much, especially if there's a live Q & A afterward.

3. Are on-offs possible? Or "private" riffing events? If the platform allows subscribers to host movie riffing on unriffed movies, with the possibility of other people listening in or of keeping the riff private, that opens up interesting possibilities. And it's unclear whether they could spend a small amount of money for non-repeating rights to a movie like Rifftrax did with Starship Troopers. They could then partner with Rifftrax to sell the riff track through them afterward. That obviously depends upon a working relationship. It's still unclear how much content fan activity in the 'plex can generate in the first place.

I don't think we have numbers on the merch sales through the website; my impression was that they were hoping an online community might form there and it never really happened. It does look like Joel and company want to get in on the ground floor of the potential post-COVID movies-at-home model that may end up competing with the traditional movie theaters, and who knows how that will go.

I do know that the one non-arthouse theater local to me quit carrying Rifftrax, and it's an hour's drive to the nearest theater that does. Folks in rural areas might have a 2+ hour drive if they wanted to see the next Rifftrax live in the theater. But if their Internet is fast enough for the Gizmoplex, they might be willing to pay a comparable amount for MST3K at home.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

No! It is a service wherein you pay a fee to experience content over the internet!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
At face value, it just looks like 'Vimeo', but with 'Twitch' like sub/chat features, and an attached library/store.

Or a non-Canadian version of 'Floatplane'. (Which, honestly, I feel like would have been a better leaping off point since the folks behind it have already worked through a lot of the issues that come from trying to develop this kind of thing from the ground up.)

The weak link here seems like it would be 'Vimeo'. They are just a cog in the greater IAC portfolio, and there is nothing stopping them from arbitrarily killing it at some point so they can buy a larger stake in MGM or take over another pointless car sharing service -- ala College Humor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Powered Descent posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm onboard, I'm backing the kickstarter enough to get the full pass and all that. But... this still kind of sounds like an overly-skeuomorphic Microsoft Bob lobby screen that you click through to get to the actual video.

yeah that was a very lol part of the update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Johnny Walker posted:

No! It is a service wherein you pay a fee to experience content over the internet!

Oh, well that sounds fine then- hey wait a minute!

I wish they’d get around to riffing “Munchie” 1992.