Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Has there ever been a demographic survey of just how many actors on TV were originally high school drama club weirdos? I know some actors had even weirder childhoods than that, and some others had pretty normal lives until they stumbled into acting much later than usual. But I usually make the assumption whenever I see an actor on TV, especially if the persona presented is that of an aspirational everyman.

"Yep. He was actually probably a drama club dork."

from my experience working with actors? at least 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

indigi posted:

lol who read that and thinks the cuckoos wouldn’t bully them. the speech they give in the pages you posted is about bullying people

The youth is told that, instead of rebelling against being a child soldier, he should have written his superior an essay. He is then beaten senseless by the popular kids. The youth is the bad guy, and we are supposed to applaud his beating.

edit:

Grant Morrison's Pop Magic! posted:

REVOLT INTO MAGIC!
Becoming a magician is in itself a revolutionary act with far-reaching consequences. Before you set out to destroy “the System,” however, first remember that we made it and in our own interests. We sustain it constantly, either in agreement, with our support, or in opposition with our dissent. The opponents of the System are as much a function of the System as its defenders. The System is a ghost assembled in the minds of human beings operating within "the System.” It is a virtual parent we made to look after us. We made it very big and difficult to see in its entirety and we serve it and nourish it every day. Are there ever any years when no doctors or policemen are born? Why do artists rarely want to become policemen?

For every McDonald's you blow up, "they" will build two. Instead of slapping a wad of Semtex between the Happy Meals and the plastic tray, work your way up through the ranks, take over the board of Directors and turn the company into an international laughing stock. You will learn a great deal about magic on the way. Then move on to take out Disney, Nintendo, anyone you fancy. What if "the System" isn't our enemy after all? What if instead it's our playground? The natural environments into which we pop magicians are born? Our jungle, ocean and ice floe...to bargain with and dance around and transform, as best we can, into poetry?

What if, indeed?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The youth is told that, instead of rebelling against being a child soldier, he should have written his superior an essay. He is then beaten senseless by the popular kids. The youth is the bad guy, and we are supposed to applaud his beating.

edit:

and I do applaud his beating, I just don’t have any illusions that the people who did it aren’t also insufferable dickheads because that isn’t in any way supported by the story

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

edit:

Jack should have simply written Solidus a strongly worded letter, would've avoided that whole Sons of Liberty mess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grant Morrison has a lot of fun ideas but his grasp of material reality is appalling

I feel the joke is that being a sleeper agent trying to destroy megacorps with bad ideas would be indistinguishable from the typical corporate executive

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The missing in action movies are very bad, very racist, and very reactionary.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grant Morrison has a lot of fun ideas but his grasp of material reality is appalling

I feel the joke is that being a sleeper agent trying to destroy megacorps with bad ideas would be indistinguishable from the typical corporate executive

I mean that’s objectively not what King Mob was doing, he made the corporation profitable and good so it could sell people an enlightenment that they’d want to buy, it fits in with all the “words are magic” bullshit of the series

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

indigi posted:

and I do applaud his beating, I just don’t have any illusions that the people who did it aren’t also insufferable dickheads because that isn’t in any way supported by the story

If you don't think Morrison is entirely on the X-Men's side here based on all their other writing, I don't know what to tell you

Grant Morrison's X-Men Manefesto posted:

The X-MEN is not a story about superheroes but a story about the ongoing evolutionary struggle between good/new and bad/old. The X-MEN are every rebel teenager wanting to change the world and make it better. Humanity is every adult, clinging to the past, trying to destroy the future even as he places all his hopes there. The superhero aspect should be seen as only a small element in the vast potential of this franchise.

[...]

And what the mainstream audience wants from us (and I've asked a lot of 'em) is raw imagination, ready-made characters, outrageous spectacle, storming angst and emotional drama. Beautiful people with incredible powers doing startling, diverting things!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why on Earth would I care about what Grant Morrison of all people thinks his point is

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

his x-men run ended with magneto putting people into crematoriums :yikes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ComplexPop/status/1389222393818800132

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
There are seriously 4 loving Marvel movies to come out this year. And then 4 more the next year. It's unbearable.

I am looking forward to Thor 4 and Guardians 3 but I'm tapping out after.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't have time for that crap and also where the gently caress is my sequel to The Phantom?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

There are seriously 4 loving Marvel movies to come out this year. And then 4 more the next year. It's unbearable.

so you're tapping out sometimes mid 2023?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

a Loving Dog posted:

so you're tapping out sometimes mid 2023?

I'm not watching the rest of them lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hey at least we got a covid break

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there’s four Marvel movies this year?? when do they start coming out? what even are they

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

indigi posted:

there’s four Marvel movies this year?? when do they start coming out? what even are they

Black Widow in July, Shang-Chi in September, Eternals in November and Spider-Man 3 in December

loving bi-monthly Marvel lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

indigi posted:

black widow july
shang chi september or october i think
eternals november
uhh spider man maybe december? i hate that i even know this much

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

black widow july
shang chi september or october i think
eternals november
uhh spider man maybe december? i hate that i even know this much

your knowledge wasnt even useful in this instance lol. get owned bitch

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i was still right mostly. so thats a win in the book of fail

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

eternals is also opening a week or possibly even a month early in India, which is an interesting choice given current events

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

eternals is also opening a week or possibly even a month early in India, which is an interesting choice given current events

also it's main star is pakistani

and he better be shirtless in it I swear to loving god

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm excited for black widow and spider-man. Shang-chi looks like poo poo and the eternals won't won't the Kirby fever dream so it can gently caress off.

Thor 4, Dr. Strange 2, and GotG 3 should be enjoyable. Black panther is probably going to suck with no MBJ or Boswick.

The Marvels movie might be ok. Ant-Man and Wasp will be good.

Disney also teased fantastic four in there please go back to the movies trailer they released today.

That is the movie I want. I just want an enjoyable and watchable F4

What I'm not excited for is every moron watching the Marvel movies because they hate them or because it owns the chuds.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

No Marvel movie has bombed so far, right? I think Ant-Man 2 did the worst and it was pretty much a box office success but far from a billion blockbuster.

It's going to be funny when one does. These movies have the most bloated budgets.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No Marvel movie has bombed so far, right? I think Ant-Man 2 did the worst and it was pretty much a box office success but far from a billion blockbuster.

It's going to be funny when one does. These movies have the most bloated budgets.

Shang-chi is the one I would say has the highest chance of bombing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if there is a time for one of them to bomb its right now

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol "They're making GBS threads in my mouth, pure poo poo, I do like the dog poo poo, and I plan to eat it. but after I eat all the dog poo poo I'm out for the cat and bird poo poo. Disgusting. how can they get away with this"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

rewatching chernobyl and im even more convinced the soviet state is the real hero here. the villains are, of course, the scientists and nuclear energy

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

anyways black widow is the one that looks bad to me. who cares about the backstory of a dead character. but tbf i havent looked at a single trailer and have no idea what any of these movies are about

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

scientists in the hbo chernobyl miniseries: im a genius, you're a potatofarmer. let me speak to your manager

american libs: wow, these are the heroes. representation matters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Antonymous posted:

lol "They're making GBS threads in my mouth, pure poo poo, I do like the dog poo poo, and I plan to eat it. but after I eat all the dog poo poo I'm out for the cat and bird poo poo. Disgusting. how can they get away with this"

Yeah people can't stop consuming poo poo they do not like. It is really pathetic. I started listening to no cartridge for some video game news and it is just 2 morons talking about how they hate every game they play, but still buy franchises because they are fans. You don't have to consume

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

jared harris owns, tho

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i don't know that a marvel movie will ever truly bomb, in the sense that it doesn't make back its budget, since these days almost every blockbuster does that. even the movies that are considered disney's bombs (atlantis: the lost empire, home on the range, etc.) all made back their budget at the box office, although they probably wound up losing a little money overall when you factor in marketing budgets and theatres and distributors taking a cut and so on

modern bombs are really more about a movie not meeting expectations, and i feel like disney actually doesn't seem to have big expectations for any individual marvel movie. they're all sort of interchangeable, it seems

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

babypolis posted:

anyways black widow is the one that looks bad to me. who cares about the backstory of a dead character. but tbf i havent looked at a single trailer and have no idea what any of these movies are about

David Harbour plays drunk, fat captain russia, but will get killed in the movie.:(

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

R. Mute posted:

rewatching chernobyl and im even more convinced the soviet state is the real hero here. the villains are, of course, the scientists and nuclear energy

Eh it's just the same USSR bad workers dumb idiots and like Trump poo poo that's everywhere. The minister of coal part was wildly eye rolling in the same series that insists that idiot shoe factory dummies are making all the wrong decisions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

R. Mute posted:

jared harris owns, tho

Chernobyl covers up a lot of flaws by just having Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgard talk to each other

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It was weird when he kept calling skaarsgaard "bumbaclot beltalowda"

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

My favorite part of Chernobyl is how Emma Watson plays a fictional composite character of numerous scientists. It was my first time ever hearing of the term 'composite character' and sounded like to me that she was 50 scientists merged into the form of a single woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Aglet56 posted:

modern bombs are really more about a movie not meeting expectations, and i feel like disney actually doesn't seem to have big expectations for any individual marvel movie. they're all sort of interchangeable, it seems

Superhero movies don't really need a framework for their sequels. It's not like Star Wars (which is funny because that's how they hosed up the new trilogy by not having a solid outline first). The next superhero sequel could be an entire genre change or focus on something entirely different. One movie could have the hero learning how they have to be careful with their powers and then the next movie is them on another planet going hogwild. It's easier to bend and mold based on feedback or just the director's whims.