Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

What, you not a fan of exceedingly edgelord metal versions of Nier's excellent soundtrack? The rail shooter thing was bizarre because nothing was actually attacking me? I'm playing on easy because I'm lazy so maybe it's different on other modes but that was weird af.

Yeah it was extremely weird. (route B dlc) They all just...stood there. It felt like a shooting gallery.

I initially tried doing it on hard and gave up in frustration at the room with 3 boars :gonk:

Now that I have all weapons upgraded the only reason to play on Hard is for the challenge itself and actually requiring some thought in combat since I don't need the increased drop chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

axeil posted:

Yeah it was extremely weird. (route B dlc) They all just...stood there. It felt like a shooting gallery.

I initially tried doing it on hard and gave up in frustration at the room with 3 boars :gonk:

Now that I have all weapons upgraded the only reason to play on Hard is for the challenge itself and actually requiring some thought in combat since I don't need the increased drop chance.

I'm playing on easy with auto battle set to manage my magic for me, it owns because I just around mashing buttons and get to feel like an omega level mutant or something, it's great

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

axeil posted:

I was running through all that at level 25 or so and I was able to muscle through that room, but the one with the broken bridges that you have to keep jumping down ended up getting me killed. That boss one shot me. I'm debating on if I want to go back and finish it since I got all the weapons and outfit swaps in there. Are there any other rewards I should go back for?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soysaucebeast posted:

I was running through all that at level 25 or so and I was able to muscle through that room, but the one with the broken bridges that you have to keep jumping down ended up getting me killed. That boss one shot me. I'm debating on if I want to go back and finish it since I got all the weapons and outfit swaps in there. Are there any other rewards I should go back for?

There is a section where you get a ton of rare weapon upgrade mats, but I can't remember now if that's before or after the section you are on, I think you've already gotten through the part that drops all the good stuff. You do get an achievement for completing the dlc and it will be a lot more manageable if you come back around level 30. Also don't forget to pop strength/defense buffs for bosses if you're having trouble.

Also on route b now and getting to spend some more time with red bag guy is nice. rip to a true king, get them apples son

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 3, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

really annoyed at the difficulty in this game. hard mode is fine for regular encounters but absolute dogshit slogs in bossfights, god drat. i had to switch to normal because one boss has a game over if you don't destoy it's limb fast enough and I couldn't do it in time lol. so then i switched to normal i rinsed the whole boss in like 2 minutes.

i don't think it was ever as bad in automata, but it's been a while so who knows. just wish i had everything hard mode does but no insane multipliers on enemy HP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dongicus posted:

really annoyed at the difficulty in this game. hard mode is fine for regular encounters but absolute dogshit slogs in bossfights, god drat. i had to switch to normal because one boss has a game over if you don't destoy it's limb fast enough and I couldn't do it in time lol. so then i switched to normal i rinsed the whole boss in like 2 minutes.

i don't think it was ever as bad in automata, but it's been a while so who knows.

Yeah it's wack, I ended up just switching to normal and making peace with all the bosses melting 1 second after the roleplay is done. I didn't play the original release so I wonder if it's just them being faithful to how it was broken originally or if it's broken in a brand new way

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I finished the red bag guy questline. Does someone take over for the fast travel or is it gone until I beat the game? Ugh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arkage posted:

I finished the red bag guy questline. Does someone take over for the fast travel or is it gone until I beat the game? Ugh.

A rando takes over.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arkage posted:

Go talk to Popola and it'll be back to normal.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The DLC music is cool just imagine you're playing Tekken :sun:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Game was good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The human brain is so stupid- All they did was give this rando NPC guy a big red bag and had multiple NPCs point out that he loves his big red fuckin bag and it 100% worked cause my brain always remembered big red bag guy and of course yoko taro giveth and yoko taro taketh away :cry: RIP to a real one

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013
So in order to save time, do you have to get ending C at all to unlock ending E, or is it safe to skip that ending and go straight on to ending D?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Paper Planes posted:

So in order to save time, do you have to get ending C at all to unlock ending E, or is it safe to skip that ending and go straight on to ending D?

You should just be able to skip C, but if you do decide that you want to see both C and D, just don't overwrite your save file from before entering Shadowlord's castle and after you see C. Instead of starting Part 2 over, just reload your pre-C save and then pick D. But if you're not interested in that extra Shadowlord castle romp and just want to go straight to D, you should be good.

My save file never had a C clear on it since I didn't resume from the C clear and just reloaded my pre-C save, and I was able to get E

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

You should just be able to skip C, but if you do decide that you want to see both C and D, just don't overwrite your save file from before entering Shadowlord's castle and after you see C. Instead of starting Part 2 over, just reload your pre-C save and then pick D. But if you're not interested in that extra Shadowlord castle romp and just want to go straight to D, you should be good.

My save file never had a C clear on it since I didn't resume from the C clear and just reloaded my pre-C save, and I was able to get E

Cheers! I plan on youtubing ending C, but didn't want to take the risk of having my saves deleted whilst screwing myself out of ending E, so this should work!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You'll just be missing out on the 'chieve/trophy, if you care about those :tipshat:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Was the red bag guy in the original game? I don't remember him, but it's also been almost 10 years since I've played and I don't remember a lot of things. I know that the shipwreck monster plot is new, and it seems like he's inextricably tied to it, so I'm guessing he and his wife are also original characters for the remake but who knows.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm playing on easy with auto battle set to manage my magic for me, it owns because I just around mashing buttons and get to feel like an omega level mutant or something, it's great

I really like how the auto battler uses all of Nier's spells, not just the 2-4 that you have equipped, yeah. Makes everything much cooler and cinematic, and the AI is actually kind of half-decent about using them intelligently, too. Not perfect, but better than I expected, and it seems to prioritize switching things up for variety's sake instead of just spamming the most effective spell over and over again, which I think is a nice touch for a feature that's only available on easy mode.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I finally got ending A after ten years today.

Oh also I just left the game running at too high a speed and now I've gotten too used to it and everything feels too slow if I lock the framerate

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really like how the auto battler uses all of Nier's spells, not just the 2-4 that you have equipped, yeah. Makes everything much cooler and cinematic, and the AI is actually kind of half-decent about using them intelligently, too. Not perfect, but better than I expected, and it seems to prioritize switching things up for variety's sake instead of just spamming the most effective spell over and over again, which I think is a nice touch for a feature that's only available on easy mode.
Last night I was thinking this game would be greatly improved by some sort of quick hotswap analog-stick weapon wheel for your spells (like in DOOM and other FPS games), cause in some areas I'm constantly switching between Punch, Lance and Whirlwind and even though the menus are fast, they don't feel good to flip through in intense moments and are big interruptions even with the quick-launch window you get from holding start.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I picked up NieR: Automata on a whim hearing all the praise (Become as Gods PC edition). I'm on Route B, just finished the golden stubby revenge quest line and I feel like a monster. :(

Are we the baddies? We are, aren't we. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I love when it drops a timely dark execution and I can just wade in mashing "b" to get a bunch of easy kills. I think being able to have all sealed verses essentially available via auto control is what "sealed" the deal for me about playing on this mode, because it looks amazing and makes you feel like a god tier badass. I'm playing this for the story, gameplay is an improvement over the original but I feel like this is a perfectly cromulent way to experience Nier.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so I've done routes A and B, do I have to have already beaten route B once in order to unlock C or can I reload my save at the end of route B and collect the rest of the weapons (I dunno if that needs spoiling) before proceeding to the end?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so I've done routes A and B, do I have to have already beaten route B once in order to unlock C or can I reload my save at the end of route B and collect the rest of the weapons (I dunno if that needs spoiling) before proceeding to the end?

You need to have a B clear save to do C. You can still collect all the weapons on your way to C after you load your B clear save, you don’t need to have done it before seeing B.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

You need to have a B clear save to do C. You can still collect all the weapons on your way to C after you load your B clear save, you don’t need to have done it before seeing B.

that's what I figured, I'd just hoped I wouldn't have to run through getting the key pieces again on the way. oh well!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

werdnam posted:

I picked up NieR: Automata on a whim hearing all the praise (Become as Gods PC edition). I'm on Route B, just finished the golden stubby revenge quest line and I feel like a monster. :(

Are we the baddies? We are, aren't we. :(

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

2Bean

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

For anyone that completed A,B and is on their way to C and D nothing is new throughout the meat of the route to the ending except for an alternate ending to the Seafront wrecked skip quest and a couple of new Devola and Popola convos which should be fairly obvious when they happen so mash those skip buttons goons

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

For anyone that completed A,B and is on their way to C and D nothing is new throughout the meat of the route to the ending except for an alternate ending to the Seafront wrecked skip quest and a couple of new Devola and Popola convos which should be fairly obvious when they happen so mash those skip buttons goons

honestly thank you so much lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

The warning about the wrecked ship for route C/D should probably include don’t skip anything until that segment is completely clear and you’re back in control and off doing other things, because one of the new things is at the very very end of that story section, not just the (boss spoiler don’t mouse over it unless you’ve done route C or you don’t care) new finish to the actual fight .

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 3, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wow I guess the game is telling me to go gently caress myself wrt machine oil. Across an entire rear end act 1 and act 2 and most of a route b and I've had a single drop. Forget weapon upgrades, I can't even finish the map sidequest. Wish you could just buy this poo poo, at this point money has no use and I'm rolling in it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Does the status of my garden carry over between routes?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so...drakengard 1 remake when

Beefstew posted:

Does the status of my garden carry over between routes?

yep

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

Wow I guess the game is telling me to go gently caress myself wrt machine oil. Across an entire rear end act 1 and act 2 and most of a route b and I've had a single drop. Forget weapon upgrades, I can't even finish the map sidequest. Wish you could just buy this poo poo, at this point money has no use and I'm rolling in it.

Have you set the drop rate boosting words on all your weapons and spells?

I was drowning in machine oil by the time I finished farming weapon upgrade mats in the junk heap. I’d get 2-3 per run through the complex.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You might already be doing this, but I think it's faster to just farm the room on the first floor of the junk heap that has the flyer bots than to do full runs if all you're after is machine oil.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It took me two hours to get a single eagle egg, I foolishly used the guaranteed one for the actual quest

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have you set the drop rate boosting words on all your weapons and spells?

I was drowning in machine oil by the time I finished farming weapon upgrade mats in the junk heap. I’d get 2-3 per run through the complex.

I have the highest ones I have (12%) stacked on both weapons and magic. :smith:

At some point I need to rerun the third dlc chapter because it might be a good source of rare mat farming if it wasn't just guaranteed rate drops in the first time through. I got multiple pyrite, gold ore, eagle egg, and some others the first time I ran through it, from some boxes.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 3, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Augus posted:

so...drakengard 1 remake when

When the watchers sing. La la la la la. La la la la la.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

I have the highest ones I have (12%) stacked on both weapons and magic. :smith:

At some point I need to rerun the third dlc chapter because it might be a good source of rare mat farming if it wasn't just guaranteed rate drops in the first time through. I got multiple pyrite, gold ore, eagle egg, and some others the first time I ran through it, from some boxes.

It took me about 2-3 hours of farming after I posted here earlier today. I just put on a podcast and went HAM. Honestly, if I didn't need to complete that quest to get all the weapons I might have given up.

Also, I just finished Loyal Cerberus on route B and gently caress me it still makes me break down sobbing. The first time I played through the original game, I had put down my dog a few months beforehand so I thought my reaction then was just because of that. NOPE. Literally no other quest line in the entire drat game gives me as much of a reaction as that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Boogalo posted:

The DLC music is cool just imagine you're playing Tekken :sun:
The DLC music kicks rear end and I enjoy running through the 3rd door when I want to chill and mindlessly slaughter mobs of enemies for a while

its the Nier version of drakengard gameplay!