Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Firebert posted:

Okoye would work, too they could thrust Ayo into the leadership position of the Dora.

I could see this working. It would explain why they gave the actor a ton of screen time in the behind the scenes. She is also really pumped about the character. And it turns out all the Dora actors talk together even when they aren't planning for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is BP2 already in production? Seems like a quick turnaround

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Aren't you supposed to be a member of the royal family or one of the tribal leaders to challenge for the title of King and Black Panther? I don't think characters like Okoye or Nakia could do it unless they fudge those rules too. If that is the case then Shuri and M'Baku are two of the only people who could become Black Panther. Nakia, Okoye and W'Kabi would be out, since they're not leaders or the family of leaders. There are four other tribes we don't know much about though, and while their elders are presumably too old to become the new Black Panther, they could have a child we haven't met for one reason or another who becomes the new Black Panther. You'd imagine they'd want to make it a pre-existing character though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

Aren't you supposed to be a member of the royal family or one of the tribal leaders to challenge for the title of King and Black Panther? I don't think characters like Okoye or Nakia could do it unless they fudge those rules too. If that is the case then Shuri and M'Baku are two of the only people who could become Black Panther. Nakia, Okoye and W'Kabi would be out, since they're not leaders or the family of leaders. There are four other tribes we don't know much about though, and while their elders are presumably too old to become the new Black Panther, they could have a child we haven't met for one reason or another who becomes the new Black Panther. You'd imagine they'd want to make it a pre-existing character though.

The monarchy stuff is a black spot on the film so it'd be great if they just threw in a line about T'Challa breaking it up.

But also, the title suggests that there might not even be a new Black Panther at all.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

tsob posted:

Maybe Nakia married T’Challa and she has a claim to the title.

Regardless, I vote for King Carl Tart.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tsob posted:

Anyone could make a claim to the throne, so long as they had the support of one of the tribes. And then fought during the succession ceremony and won.

The first one was a fait accompli until the Jabari showed up, because the other tribes all liked and supported Tchalla.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dexo posted:

Anyone could make a claim to the throne, so long as they had the support of one of the tribes. And then fought during the succession ceremony and won.

The first one was a fait accompli until the Jabari showed up, because the other tribes all liked and supported Tchalla.

Yeah, it seems that each of the tribes could have a champion challenge the king, and if successful their champion becomes the Black Panther and presumably the King. Obviously politically/historically/culturally a champion would be expected to be the leader of the tribe as well, but we don't see enough details to claim that as necessary.

It's also possible Shuri will be Queen but due to her age request one of the Dora Milaje be the Black Panther for now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
okay but give me King M'Baku.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nakia was the River Tribe's Champion in the Challenge Ritual at the start of the movie, she could absolutely be Black Panther.

I would be really surprised if Shuri was not the next Black Panther because she took up the mantle in the comics and has a pretty iconic costume. It turns out her actor is like a antivaxxer chud though so I hope not. Nakia would actually be pretty cool, she was under-used in the first BP.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What was the reasoning for Nakia being left out of all the Infinity War/Endgame stuff? I looked it up and they explain it with a vague "she was doing missions" but was there more to it? Actor scheduling or something?

It doesn't even seem known whether she got snapped or not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bleck posted:

okay but give me King M'Baku.

I am here for King Daddy Thiccums.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

live with fruit posted:

The next Black Panther should be Wakanda's greatest warrior, Okoye.

This is correct.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In a surprise twist, it's Martin Freeman

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hobo Clown posted:

What was the reasoning for Nakia being left out of all the Infinity War/Endgame stuff? I looked it up and they explain it with a vague "she was doing missions" but was there more to it? Actor scheduling or something?

It doesn't even seem known whether she got snapped or not.

She was planned to be in Endgame, but it was a small part and Lupita was busy, so she ended up not doing it.

quote:

After some of the supporting cast of Black Panther sat out Avengers: Infinity War, it seems as though Lupita Nyong’o’s Nakia was planned to return in Endgame. While the role that Nakia would have had would not have been particularly large, Lupita Nyong’o would have returned as her Black Panther character in Avengers: Endgame during the Battle of Earth sequence.

Avengers: Endgame concept art that has now surfaced online showcases that among the Wakandans leading the charge at the end of the movie, Nakia was intended to be one of them, prepared to attack with her Chakrams alongside fellow Black Panther supporting characters Shuri and Okoye. Check out the concept art with Lupita Nyong’o’s likeness below:

https://twitter.com/andyparkart/status/1205196244357828608

Nyong’o has, unfortunately, not commented on why she did not participate in Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers: Endgame. According to Variety, the actress was likely unable to make filming because of her busy schedule.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give me King M’Baku or give me death

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Shuri or the Gorilla guy tbh, they both had presence and charm

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I have a feeling they are going to set BP2 sometime during the snap to avoid having to deal with chadwicks death

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She was planned to be in Endgame, but it was a small part and Lupita was busy, so she ended up not doing it.

Looks like Shuri took her place.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If a member of a different tribe became king of Wakanda, would they still be "Black Panther" or "Black (insert their animal here)"?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geo Fixer posted:

I have a feeling they are going to set BP2 sometime during the snap to avoid having to deal with chadwicks death

This actually seems like the most possible out of all the theories I've read so far.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The monarchy stuff is a black spot on the film so it'd be great if they just threw in a line about T'Challa breaking it up.

But also, the title suggests that there might not even be a new Black Panther at all.

Why is it a black spot, there is no indication that any member of wakanda has any issues with the monarchy at all, they all seem happy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Why is it a black spot, there is no indication that any member of wakanda has any issues with the monarchy at all, they all seem happy.

Monarchies are bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Comic books love monarchy.

People living under the sea have monarchies, Europe has monarchies, people living on the moon have monarchies, people living in fictional countries have monarchies, people who exist in multiple dimensions have monarchies, and every alien race is either a monarchy or a hive-mind.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

live with fruit posted:

Monarchies are bad.

no no you dont understand this poster here is here to tell the poor suffering folk of wakanda how bad they actually have it and text be damned if it means your horse is a bit higher

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In It For The Tank posted:

If a member of a different tribe became king of Wakanda, would they still be "Black Panther" or "Black (insert their animal here)"?

Pretty sure all the Wakandan tribes worship the same panther god that the role/suit is modeled after. At least that's what I remember from the comics.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Coates was one of the vocal critics of the European style monarchy and succession by combat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rolling Stone has done an oral history of WandaVision and published an excerpt. tl;dr they originally did plan for Cumberbatch to appear, but changed their mind for all the reasons you might expect.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty sure all the Wakandan tribes worship the same panther god that the role/suit is modeled after. At least that's what I remember from the comics.

The 4 main tribes all worship and follow Bast the Panther god.

The Jabari are the only ones who worship Hanuman.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
So...no Wakandan Megazord then I take it :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

In It For The Tank posted:

I'd watch the Black Aardwolf movie

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Honey Badger when they go on the warpath. :D

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cage Kicker posted:

So...no Wakandan Megazord then I take it :(

Wakandan Voltron, but the ape forms the head.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

live with fruit posted:

Monarchies are bad.

Historically, monarchies are the oldest and longest lasting forms of government.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Monarchies are bad.

Is there any evidence in the film that the monarchy is bad? Every single character we see seems to like the monarchy, the only dispute is a question of leadership. Not a single wakandan in the film wants to abolish the monarchy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Is there any evidence in the film that the monarchy is bad? Every single character we see seems to like the monarchy, the only dispute is a question of leadership. Not a single wakandan in the film wants to abolish the monarchy.

They're bad in real life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Terror Sweat posted:

The political institution's process for succession could use some improvement.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's also no regular Wakandans in the cast of characters.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Terror Sweat posted:

Is there any evidence in the film that the monarchy is bad?

They are completely impotent to prevent Killmonger doing what he wants to do. I'm not sure how much more evidence is needed - an all powerful sovereign is great when that individual is super ethical. Otherwise it's a poor system of governance and the film shows this directly in text. There are no checks on his ability to destroy the heart shaped herbs nor to start a war with practically the entire world.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

There's also no regular Wakandans in the cast of characters.

What counts as regular, out of interest? I'd have thought W'Kabi, Nakia etc count personally, since they didn't obtain their position by birthright and were not part of the leadership or monarchy. Are they discounted because they're part of the military?

Does that mean that democracy is bad? Multiple MCU properties only really show government officials and military personnel, such as Captain America, Captain Marvel and Thor. Should Valkyrie be transitioning Asgard to a democratic system of government too?

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

They're bad in real life.

I live in a monarchy and I can blame almost all of our problems on failed democratic processes