Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Telsa Cola posted:

So does Dorf life actually add anything because looking through the mod code it looks like it just adds the caverns and mushrooms with some related recipes, nothing else?

Besides the finales which just appear to pull krecks and related poo poo as the monster spawn.

Yeah, it's just better caves with some more food sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I was about to adamantly disagree with you, having just lost my first really successful character to having their arms explode while blind, but now I realize that I'm playing on a version that's a year out of date.

Edit:
I was immediately eaten by a shark.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 4, 2021

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I wasn't aware Eyes didn't do that poo poo anymore. I usually either avoid them the second I see a portal in the area on my minimap, or only engage with something that's guaranteed to one shot them, like a fifty-cal or something.

Speaking of: assuming anyone does do an updated 'newbie guide' or whatever, I highly recommend going into the options and turning on all the Autonote options. For whatever reason most recent builds don't do that, but it's very helpful since it will allow you to pick out semi-distant things like 'Dead Scientists/Soldiers' or 'Oh gently caress there's a portal here better leave that area alone.'

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was thinking how weird it was in DDA that ,even for the usual development trends in there, being overweight just tanked your heath stat so your wounds don't heal and you can't ditch a cold instead of something even slightly more intuitive like giving a stamina or speed debuff or something. But then I realized, the former would only be annoying if you actually leave you study basement or wherever to rummage around. A cold however, can annoy your rear end all day long.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FWIW, flaming eyes do in fact still fungus you in the latest Bright Nights.

Speaking of auto notes, why are things like groves, shrubs, and dead vegetation important? They're in the auto note list and I can't figure out why anyone would ever need to note their location.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
No idea, but I figured it was something like a landmark or point of interest like every other thing. Having one type of tree in a single zone may make it easier to forage for things. Dead vegetation may be good for tinder? You could probably get those things somewhere else but it's better to have and not need it, than the opposite.

on an unrelated note...
Cranking up my str to 50 means I can smash straight through safes and house walls with a Halligan bar. My strength is powerful.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mountain Lightning posted:

I highly recommend going into the options and turning on all the Autonote options. For whatever reason most recent builds don't do that
Yeah agreed. I also learned it through second hand information and was kinda pissed thinking about all the good corpses and supply crates I missed

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of auto notes, why are things like groves, shrubs, and dead vegetation important?
I'm not 100% sure but dead vegetation can be a sign for radiation just like craters usually are? I mean something must have killed the plants, right? Shrubs and groves are kinda helpful to know in some cases. Shrubs is just a huge field of underbrush so you can go ham and forage it all for eggs and herbs. One shrub field can sort your early game food situation for a decent number of days and gets your survival to 2 or real close to it. Groves are hit or miss because they are made of the same type of trees. A grove of pines means you never have to worry about your tea and a grove of fruit trees feeds you almost on its own during the right season. And then there are groves of different tree types that don't really do anything for you afaik. I usually check them out if they happen to be in the area where I'm based or travel past often

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, a lot of simple autonotes are either a sign to avoid an area, or can help with early game foraging, like finding firewood if you're otherwise running low, or edible plants to forage.
I turn off burnt ground and dead vegetation as autonote-worthy, myself, but the rest tend to be useful to know.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The spawns for house basements are so weird to me. Like you either find roaches, a throng of mostly basic zombies, the same but half of them got sucked into a huge devourer, or some totaly wacky poo poo that's way out of line for the threat scale on the overworld. Case in point, I'm on spring 73 and just ran from a basement that had freakin skelly jugg. Turns out there was a master down there because it followed me. The master must have spent all of its casts on that one zombie to get it up so high on the ladder

It's kinda never worth it to deal with populated basements except for the gun/survival basement. Crafting basements can be good too but it's usually hard to gauge what is hiding out of sight :shrug:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Manager Hoyden posted:

FWIW, flaming eyes do in fact still fungus you in the latest Bright Nights.

Speaking of auto notes, why are things like groves, shrubs, and dead vegetation important? They're in the auto note list and I can't figure out why anyone would ever need to note their location.

It gets much more helpful in the summer and fall, where you can potentially have an entire overmap tile full of berries, fruit, or other harvestables.

Tin Tim posted:

The spawns for house basements are so weird to me. Like you either find roaches, a throng of mostly basic zombies, the same but half of them got sucked into a huge devourer, or some totaly wacky poo poo that's way out of line for the threat scale on the overworld. Case in point, I'm on spring 73 and just ran from a basement that had freakin skelly jugg. Turns out there was a master down there because it followed me. The master must have spent all of its casts on that one zombie to get it up so high on the ladder

It's kinda never worth it to deal with populated basements except for the gun/survival basement. Crafting basements can be good too but it's usually hard to gauge what is hiding out of sight :shrug:

Basements (for whatever reason) offer a good chance to get some maps and other oddities (I have found several bottles of hydrochloric acid in basements and I don't know why). That being said, the most recent basement I explored also had a Frog Mother (TM), which is a summoner type boss monster that regenerates fifty-plus health every turn, and explosively summons grabbing thingies. I just hacked my strength to 100 and killed it with an axe. I don't want to deal with that poo poo either. Next world is gonna have those guys on a spawn blacklist.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 5, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Inglonias posted:

Basements (for whatever reason) offer a good chance to get some maps and other oddities (I have found several bottles of hydrochloric acid in basements and I don't know why).
Yeah but that's not the basement type I mean with "populated". Those are the largely empty basements with washing machines+ a water heater and some boxes which can indeed have some odd but useful stuff. If you need to deal with diving then that's also the place where you easily find bits of scuba gear. They usually have low threat spawns like rats, gators or even ants if the house is close enough to an ant area. Molerats pop up there sometimes too but I think I hardly ever met a zombie in that basement type.

Haven't seen a frog mother yet(sounds dangerous) but I always, ALWAYS, have a shotgun on me when I go into any basement :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 5, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: weed basements are worth it. Game win status is having >1000 joints in your storage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
basements all around are extremely useful for a lot of things, not the least of which is just being completely safe as long as nothing saw you go down the stairs. a basement was always my preferred place to either sleep off sicknesses or get lots of reading done back when i was playing regularly just because i knew for a drat fact that nothing was going to bother me down there.

it's probably for the best that they are now actually kind of dangerous because before they were basically free money and inviolate fortresses besides.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, basements have a wild spread of useful and dangerous options, so it's always a roll of the dice going down into them. You could find an autodoc, or you could find your doom. Now that you can peek down, they're a little safer than it used to be, but like any little kid will tell you, always beware when going into the basement.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One time I had a start in one of those small 4 house towns. Each one of their basements dropped you into straight lava.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Leal posted:

One time I had a start in one of those small 4 house towns. Each one of their basements dropped you into straight lava.
At first I wanted to say heck yeah because the 4 house town start is really sweet if you're the type that builds a base to hoard poo poo (me) but then ayy lmao

Coolguye posted:

basements all around are extremely useful for a lot of things, not the least of which is just being completely safe as long as nothing saw you go down the stairs. a basement was always my preferred place to either sleep off sicknesses or get lots of reading done back when i was playing regularly just because i knew for a drat fact that nothing was going to bother me down there.

it's probably for the best that they are now actually kind of dangerous because before they were basically free money and inviolate fortresses besides.
Tbf you'll learn to tell the difference after some time. If you come down and the area around you is open then you're in the chill basement type with a slight chance for critters but if you come down and see a door or an open space with carpet then you better clench your cheeks because you can encounter almost anything between a roach and a skelly jugg. There are a few more special types of basements but I'm not sure how varied their populations can be since I see them so rarely. But I'm also personally affected by basement-dread because I have a couple of very sharp memories of early game characters getting murked by a devourer or kevlar zombie that jumped out of the shadows while other chaff blocked my escape. Hence my habit of never going into basements before I find a shotgun! I also have the suspicion that the evolution/spawn rules for basements are different from the overworld and especially the evolution aspect may be out of whack. It's just uncanny how many OOD type encounters I've had in basements during spring :shrug:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Counterpoint: weed basements are worth it. Game win status is having >1000 joints in your storage.
I have marked so many weed houses and I never return to collect :effort:

Also with the power of the debug menu now at my hand what is the most hosed up dwarf mutant I could make? Preferably without a neck and with a keen interest for garbage

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Just take everything. All the mutations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
zombies can smell you so going down into a basement to sleep is super risky since they usually have only 1 exit. ive woken up next to juggernauts enough times that im never sleeping in basements again.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

ive woken up next to juggernauts enough times that im never sleeping in basements again.

Same but irl

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Oh wow thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for! Time to do some wacky poo poo

Game knew what I was about to do and gave me an amazing start....time to read up on boats

I'm in a similar situation, I want to make a really cool boat. An amphibious vehicle would be cool too, but mostly a boat.

Anyone have some good reference ideas that are known to work? I'd hate to make some cool thing and it won't float.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You can check the info page of the vehicle to figure out if it swims. Look for draft and sealed hull height or something like that. Draft needs to be lower or water will leak in/the boat will sink. The basic gist is that you need a frame and instal a piece of boat hull into it. Most likely made from wood but there are some other materials you can use. That's the main body of your boat and it needs to be crafted before you can instal it on the frame. In the past you needed to make at least three tiles with frame+boat hull (used to be called "boat boards") but I'm not sure if that's required anymore. After you have your frames+boat hull pieces done you also need to instal a seat and some hand paddles(craft a set of oars) to steer and move the boat. Oh you also need to build it on land and drag it into the water later. That's pretty much it I think. Make sure you have a source/stash of enough nails and planks!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 6, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can it be a duckboat with wheels and an engine?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

Can it be a duckboat with wheels and an engine?

Yes, and you could give it heli propellers too.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Making a boat seems like such a good idea until you get one operational and find yourself trapped between two bridges 100% of the time

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have literally never thought that making a boat sounds like a good idea and until the game starts making actual coastlines i don't think i'm going to change my mind about that

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Making a boat seems like such a good idea until you get one operational and find yourself trapped between two bridges 100% of the time
I think you can go under bridges now?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vib Rib posted:

I think you can go under bridges now?

You can! They figured out z-levels for vehicles at some point between stable and the current experimental release.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Go for the sharkman/octopus mutations for the full water world experience in your boating life. Nothing like getting cocaine happy after a single drop of water hits your character. Slime and plant mutations are for the weak babies. :colbert:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder if there are any plans for structures spawning underwater a few z levels down

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder if there are any plans for structures spawning underwater a few z levels down

It might be from Aftershock, but there's water research labs that go underwater and you can swim out of.

There's explicitly plans to do more:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/43390

quote:

Purpose of change
Adding more underwater stuff to support additional underwater features and locations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Do zombies spawn infinitely, absent a portal? Is it possible to completely clear a town or will it just always be full of dead assholes?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Do zombies spawn infinitely, absent a portal? Is it possible to completely clear a town or will it just always be full of dead assholes?

Depends on your game settings. I forget the exact name of the setting, maybe "dynamic spawns?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wander Spawns are the exception, and they're off by default.
But otherwise yes, any place that's cleared of zombies will stay that way. You can always have others wandering in from the (uncleared) and following you but if you clear like an entire town and just hang out in the middle you won't see any new zombies.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Do note that map features like Triffid Groves, Fungal Towers, Ant nests, slime pits and whatever I forgot to mention contain monsters that will cause random spawns of monsters or their type until they are killed. So if you want to wipe out an ant infestation you need to kill the Queen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Telsa Cola posted:

Do note that map features like Triffid Groves, Fungal Towers, Ant nests, slime pits and whatever I forgot to mention contain monsters that will cause random spawns of monsters or their type until they are killed. So if you want to wipe out an ant infestation you need to kill the Queen.

Are there any other notable renewable resources?

I was thinking about figuring out how to get eggs from ants, and if they regenerate, that'd be great news.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there any other notable renewable resources?

I was thinking about figuring out how to get eggs from ants, and if they regenerate, that'd be great news.

Queens and young queens (who you are way more likely to encounter) lay eggs iirc. Most birds lay eggs as do cockroaches.

Shrubs have a chance to spawn eggs when you search em and renew seasonally I think.

Fish at least in BN are renewable since they lay roe I think.

Really though a fungal or triffid source basically keeps you in food forever since they can be butchered for poo poo.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Empty cities are also going to get an unlimited supply of eyebots and riot control bots, which may or may not be a good thing depending on how far along your character is

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh, there's a fungal tower near a road. I assumed fungaloids were unusable for food like zombies, but that must not be true.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, there's a fungal tower near a road. I assumed fungaloids were unusable for food like zombies, but that must not be true.

They butcher into those plant marrow sticks and fluid sacks sometimes I believe, depends on the fungiloid.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Manager Hoyden posted:

Maybe there should be more low lying infrastructure for deathmobiles to crash into...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBLH8qvaIFg