Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Aphrodite posted:

Do Australians just think of north as down?

Not Australian, but I've never really thought of North as up in the first place. If I'm holding a map, I don't hold it with north up, I hold it with north facing north. Depending on how I'm standing and the shape of the map, this might be up, but it could just as easily be down or the right. If I'm heading southeast, that's my up, mentally.

Also I kind of want to buy a south-on-top globe now. Or maybe south/north perfectly horizontal, that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phosphine posted:

Or maybe south/north perfectly horizontal, that'd be cool.

It also wouldn't make sense. Globes are oriented so that up and down is perpendicular to our orbit around the Sun, and the rotational axis tilted to match.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phosphine posted:

Not Australian, but I've never really thought of North as up in the first place. If I'm holding a map, I don't hold it with north up, I hold it with north facing north. Depending on how I'm standing and the shape of the map, this might be up, but it could just as easily be down or the right. If I'm heading southeast, that's my up, mentally.

As a geologist I spend a hell of a lot of time outdoors with maps and I cannot stop myself from turning around so that I'm facing north. I just get the map out, hold it up and I'll already be turning around without thinking about it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Memento posted:

As a geologist I spend a hell of a lot of time outdoors with maps and I cannot stop myself from turning around so that I'm facing north. I just get the map out, hold it up and I'll already be turning around without thinking about it.

This but it’s because I was really cool as a kid and did Boy Scouts.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hyperlynx posted:

It also wouldn't make sense. Globes are oriented so that up and down is perpendicular to our orbit around the Sun, and the rotational axis tilted to match.

I mean sure, but they don't have to be. That's not really a mandatory or useful feature for a decorative/"fail to look up countries because it's wrong now" globe at home.

Memento posted:

I grew up orienteering, which I guess could have something to do with it. If you're running and need to consult the map, stopping and turning to face a different direction isn't reasonable, you just keep running while checking the map, making it natural to turn it so up is your direction of travel.

This is also how navigation software works, at least Google maps. Can you even tell it to keep the map oriented with up as north instead of forward?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Much like in videogames, I will never trust anyone in real life who uses a constant-north map orientation rather than one facing relative to your own direction.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Phosphine posted:

This is also how navigation software works, at least Google maps. Can you even tell it to keep the map oriented with up as north instead of forward?

Yes, you just tap the lil compass icon in the corner, or tap it again to orient south.

Also the guy who created the original functionality for this is the brother of Jack Black

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Aphrodite posted:

Do Australians just think of north as down?

We do think of north as warm and south as cold though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Hygiene posted:

Much like in videogames, I will never trust anyone in real life who uses a constant-north map orientation rather than one facing relative to your own direction.
this is baffling to me because much like in video games, north is up

(never mind that I mentally orient myself on a map based on what direction I'd turn to go a way, the map itself has to be pointed so north is up)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I have a terrible sense of direction so orienting a map so that north is pointing towards actual north is pretty much a non-starter.

Interestingly, apparently there's some languages in the world where people are always aware of what direction they're facing and rather than referring to things or people as being to the right or left of each other they'll refer to them by direction. For example, if two boxes are laying next to each other, rather than saying "pick up the box on the left" like we would, they'd say to pick up the box that's to the east.

Even more interesting, there's an indigenous language on Bali that's directional like this, but instead of north/south/east/west, the directions refer to something as being towards the volcano at the center of the island, or away from it. So the four directions are center/out/heading clockwise/heading counterclockwise.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Apr 23, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sucrose posted:

I have a terrible sense of direction so orienting a map so that north is pointing towards actual north is pretty much a non-starter.

Interestingly, apparently there's some languages in the world where people are always aware of what direction they're facing and rather than referring to things or people as being to the right or left of each other they'll refer to them by direction. For example, if two boxes are laying next to each other, rather than saying "pick up the box on the left" like we would, they'd say to pick up the box that's to the east.

Even more interesting, there's an indigenous language on Bali that's directional like this, but instead of north/south/east/west, the directions refer to something as being towards the volcano at the center of the island, or away from it. So the four directions are center/out/heading clockwise/heading counterclockwise.

Hubward, Rimward, Turnwise and Widdershins.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sucrose posted:

As someone that absolutely never knows which way north is, I can get behind this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Memento posted:

Hubward, Rimward, Turnwise and Widdershins.

I love that it took precisely one post for someone to post this reference :respek:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Growing up in northeast Ohio, everyone always said it was very simple, north is towards the lake. You know, the thing that's a 45 minute drive by car and lower than everything that you can't see until you are right on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Water is blue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
“Turnwise” is bogus.

It should be “deasil”.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sucrose posted:

Using compass directions instead of relational seems to be a country vs city thing. I use cardinal because I grew up on the farm and also in the woods. My mom and dad always use cardinal directions too. My wife has always lived in the city. She has no idea what compass direction she's looking in. It's always left, right, and landmarks. You're lucky to get a street number out of her.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mostlygray posted:

Using compass directions instead of relational seems to be a country vs city thing. I use cardinal because I grew up on the farm and also in the woods. My mom and dad always use cardinal directions too. My wife has always lived in the city. She has no idea what compass direction she's looking in. It's always left, right, and landmarks. You're lucky to get a street number out of her.

Yeah that holds no water since my friends and i grew up in the country and they're all incapable of giving directions and i use left/right/landmarks

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Me either, my wife grew up outside a 500 person town and uses landmarks, I grew up in suburban Phoenix and use cardinal directions.

Maybe it has some thing to do with the way your streets are oriented where you grow up?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

“Turnwise” is bogus.

It should be “deasil”.

I would tell you to take it up with Terry Pratchett but he's dead... and you'd probably still lose, he's got a really cool sword.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

I would tell you to take it up with Terry Pratchett but he's dead... and you'd probably still lose, he's got a really cool sword.

Now that he's dead this can't hurt him but, get this: there's no such thing as a cool sword.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Now that he's Death, he's got a really cool Scythe. Who needs swords?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Helith posted:

We do think of north as warm and south as cold though

no poo poo

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I grew up in California and without ever really thinking about it deeply internalized the concept that west meant towards the ocean and east meant away from from the ocean. I've since live on islands, miles from any coast, north of the ocean, and on the east coast. Now if I ever need to tell the two apart I just cry.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
This entire conversation is actual gibberish to me because of dyscalculia. I never get lost anywhere but I can't read a map at all and if you asked me to find north I'd start crying. I find my way around by guessing and I guess correctly but I never know how I got anywhere. Dyscalculia is hosed up on a good day, but orienteering? Totally new level of fuckery to me. I'm convinced everyone is like me and pretending really hard when they read a map and just following their gut. Like making up a card game as you go along.

Learning disorders feel like a superpower sometimes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

fizzymercury posted:

This entire conversation is actual gibberish to me because of dyscalculia. I never get lost anywhere but I can't read a map at all and if you asked me to find north I'd start crying. I find my way around by guessing and I guess correctly but I never know how I got anywhere. Dyscalculia is hosed up on a good day, but orienteering? Totally new level of fuckery to me. I'm convinced everyone is like me and pretending really hard when they read a map and just following their gut. Like making up a card game as you go along.

Learning disorders feel like a superpower sometimes.

It's ok, I just quizzed myself "what direction am I facing" and had to think about it for a good 30 seconds.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sucrose posted:

It's ok, I just quizzed myself "what direction am I facing" and had to think about it for a good 30 seconds.
You could hand me a compass and I couldn't tell you which direction I'm facing. I checked the one on my phone and I'm facing halfway between W and N with W being the most left direction.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fizzymercury posted:

This entire conversation is actual gibberish to me because of dyscalculia.
Sup dyscalculia bud

(I do get lost tho)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My grandma used to have an amazing sense of direction--thr uncanny ability to guess exactly wrong, to the point they used it a couple times. Also coupled with a remarkable lack of mechanical aptitude (my dad once saw her trying to drive in nails holding the hammer by the claw). Unfortunately at some point it switched to being 90 degrees off which is too ambiguous.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I just figured out the casting gag in "Groundhog Day". :doh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just figured out the casting gag in "Groundhog Day". :doh:

The what? Is this a thing I can't believe I just figured out?

OK hit me. What's the casting gag in "Groundhog Day"?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Silver Falcon posted:

The what? Is this a thing I can't believe I just figured out?

OK hit me. What's the casting gag in "Groundhog Day"?

Thirteen years earlier, Bill Murray was bedeviled by a groundhog in "Caddyshack".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Questionable casting theories ITT

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bill Murray's name phonetically translate to Groundhog in the Pashto langauge.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still get Groundhogs day and Caddyshack confused with eachother and I'm not sure why

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Thirteen years earlier, Bill Murray was bedeviled by a groundhog in "Caddyshack".

The animal from Caddyshack was a gopher, not a groundhog.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently Gophers and Groundhogs are different animals

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

The animal from Caddyshack was a gopher, not a groundhog.

Well then I'm wrong. Oh well. :sigh:

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

In the movie Citizen Kane, there is a sled named Rosebud. There’s a deleted scene in Groundhog Day involving a hemorrhoid and Bill Murray calls it Rosebud

MIND BLOWN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaius Marius posted:

Apparently Gophers and Groundhogs are different animals

Semantics.