Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I gave up and bought the stupid Legion 5 Pro.
Only had it for a day, but here's some thoughts;

Apart from the lid logo, it's not very gamer-y which I appreciate. You can turn the lid logo glow off and I ordered a sticker to slap over it.
While robust, it's not actually a metal construction which I'd seen implied on previews.
It's not terribly heavy and the fans/noise levels are good.
You can't order the power brick separately so have fun lugging that thing around.
I haven't messed with all the settings yet but it looks like you have to go into the BIOS to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. My understanding is that this improves performance?
Screen is good. Speakers are good but again not as amazing as the copy would have you believe. Keyboard is good. Trackpad seems mediocre but I'll almost never use it.
I appreciate that you can turn the lid logo on/off, change keyboard backlight modes, and switch between performance modes without installing any bullshit software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msh5tXdsFhY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
As far as I can tell from Google it does have MUX, maybe the BIOS option is poorly named.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I gave up and bought the stupid Legion 5 Pro.
Only had it for a day, but here's some thoughts;

Apart from the lid logo, it's not very gamer-y which I appreciate. You can turn the lid logo glow off and I ordered a sticker to slap over it.
While robust, it's not actually a metal construction which I'd seen implied on previews.
It's not terribly heavy and the fans/noise levels are good.
You can't order the power brick separately so have fun lugging that thing around.
I haven't messed with all the settings yet but it looks like you have to go into the BIOS to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. My understanding is that this improves performance?
Screen is good. Speakers are good but again not as amazing as the copy would have you believe. Keyboard is good. Trackpad seems mediocre but I'll almost never use it.
I appreciate that you can turn the lid logo on/off, change keyboard backlight modes, and switch between performance modes without installing any bullshit software.

My Legion 5 allows me to have Optimus on for better battery life or off for better performance, so it should be the same for yours.
I have seen reviewers seemingly turning it on/off in some Windows application (Lenovo Vantage?) and then rebooting, but I don't have that application installed so I'm not sure.

As far as I know, there are some pieces of metal in parts of the chassis (possibly along the sides of the screen) for added strength, but most of it is plastic.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Speaking of the Legion, I was thinking of picking up a used gaming laptop. I'm looking for something that can play games on it's own and also do Steam streaming from my regular PC. Portability or battery life are not a concern, this is more like if I want to play games while also watching tv type of thing.

This one seems decent? I like the bigger screen, those seem kind of rare. Is there any reason why a bigger screen would be bad, aside from portability, or PPI? Though 1080p on a 17" should be fine, no?

Also the pictures make it looks like it's a 4:3 format but I think that might just be the picture.

Also open to other things to look for, budget is around $900-ish.

Edit: Ah drat, looking at the actual service tag thing it is a 15.6, not a 17.3 screen.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 30, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Speaking of the Legion, I was thinking of picking up a used gaming laptop. I'm looking for something that can play games on it's own and also do Steam streaming from my regular PC. Portability or battery life are not a concern, this is more like if I want to play games while also watching tv type of thing.

This one seems decent? I like the bigger screen, those seem kind of rare. Is there any reason why a bigger screen would be bad, aside from portability, or PPI? Though 1080p on a 17" should be fine, no?

Also the pictures make it looks like it's a 4:3 format but I think that might just be the picture.

Edit: Ah drat, looking at the actual service tag thing it is a 15.6, not a 17.3 screen.

Looked largely like the Intel equivalent version of the 15" AMD model I have, though it's weird how the specs in the description did not line up with the specs in the title.
I don't think 1080p should be any issue whatsoever on a 17" display, though the 17" models seem rare enough that you might find it hard to find a used one for your budget.

If you can stretch your budget, Lenovo themselves seem to be selling a brand new one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164841560653?epid=13044892826&hash=item2661529a4d:g:pvkAAOSwT1tgjBQI

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I haven't though about laptops in years, anyone have thoughts on a decent 15" laptop under 1k that I can recommend to my mother? Kind of normal business use, spreadsheets quickbooks whatever else nothing massively taxing so probably more focus on portability/battery than on xtreme performance.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Looking at an Asus G14 from Best Buy, but all they have is white. Not a huge fan of white, but am I going to be waiting forever and a day just to get a prism grey version? If I'd need to wait 3 weeks, I'd rather just get white and be done with it.

For someone that hasn't computer parts shopped in several years, the market is kind of crazy these days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ordered an MSI GL65 with the 2070 as a replacement for my HP Omen. Am I going to be kicking myself for this? I grabbed it since it was what looked like the best option that would be delivered before I have to go on a work trip and it does seem to have an edge over the 3060 laptops I was eyeballing while I was shopping last night on benchmarks but the 3000’s in laptops have so much variation I’m still not sure I shouldn’t have gotten a 3060 instead. I do feel that the extra 2GB of VRAM with the 2070 makes it probably the better choice, though at 1080p who knows how long it’ll be before that actually matters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ordered an MSI GL65 with the 2070 as a replacement for my HP Omen. Am I going to be kicking myself for this? I grabbed it since it was what looked like the best option that would be delivered before I have to go on a work trip and it does seem to have an edge over the 3060 laptops I was eyeballing while I was shopping last night on benchmarks but the 3000’s in laptops have so much variation I’m still not sure I shouldn’t have gotten a 3060 instead. I do feel that the extra 2GB of VRAM with the 2070 makes it probably the better choice, though at 1080p who knows how long it’ll be before that actually matters.

Perf will be a little better but battery life will be a lot worse if gaming on battery, you'll also need to take more care to move heat off the laptop (I'd strongly recommend a pad, there are ones that travel pretty well). Unlike desktops, with laptops its not uncommon to hit thermal barriers before you outrun your GPU. Even just sitting on a desk can cause a 2070 to throttle down due to heat.

In general the 3060 is superior due to better thermals, but if you can keep it cool enough the 2070 should stay a ahead, I think. The MSI's aren't the best at getting heat out but they're ok. I seriously doubt (outside of a maybe a couple badly optimized games) you'll run out of VRAM at 1080p. So basically I think the 3060 is a better choice for most situations but if you can keep the laptop cool enough the 2070 will be better for stationary gaming.

Helicity posted:

Looking at an Asus G14 from Best Buy, but all they have is white. Not a huge fan of white, but am I going to be waiting forever and a day just to get a prism grey version? If I'd need to wait 3 weeks, I'd rather just get white and be done with it.

For someone that hasn't computer parts shopped in several years, the market is kind of crazy these days.

The G14 is hard to fine outside of white, though the G15 is a lot more common in grey. Have you seen the white G14 in person? Its pretty good looking, classy and not obnoxious. It's not quite as "bright white" as it looks on the website.

The March Hare posted:

I haven't though about laptops in years, anyone have thoughts on a decent 15" laptop under 1k that I can recommend to my mother? Kind of normal business use, spreadsheets quickbooks whatever else nothing massively taxing so probably more focus on portability/battery than on xtreme performance.

Something like this is probably good (for under $600)
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-500-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

Step up would be something like:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...iliate%3Abv0as6

Which is a 2-in-1 (which are nice, imo).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Perf will be a little better but battery life will be a lot worse if gaming on battery, you'll also need to take more care to move heat off the laptop (I'd strongly recommend a pad, there are ones that travel pretty well). Unlike desktops, with laptops its not uncommon to hit thermal barriers before you outrun your GPU. Even just sitting on a desk can cause a 2070 to throttle down due to heat.

In general the 3060 is superior due to better thermals, but if you can keep it cool enough the 2070 should stay a ahead, I think. The MSI's aren't the best at getting heat out but they're ok. I seriously doubt (outside of a maybe a couple badly optimized games) you'll run out of VRAM at 1080p. So basically I think the 3060 is a better choice for most situations but if you can keep the laptop cool enough the 2070 will be better for stationary gaming.

Makes sense. Battery isn’t a concern for me at all and I have a really good pad so I think I made the right call. I basically set my laptop up for days somewhere most of the time so it looks like the 2070 does fit my use case a bit better. I was hoping to hold out for a bit longer and get the 3000 series when it gets into that “good deal” range but, welp.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Helicity posted:

I have that laptop, I can take pictures for you when I get home if you like.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

waggles posted:

I have that laptop, I can take pictures for you when I get home if you like.

Thanks, but too late, I already bought it and picked it up! Mini review incoming:

The color scheme is weird: white top shell, black bezel, silver everything else. I've never had a gaming laptop before, so I'm slightly irritated at the futuristic font, the barrel connector power, the lack of thunderbolt, the lack of webcam, the key layout, how loud the fan is and how hot the keys get...

But then I compile some code, or play a game. This thing is a goddamned beast, and I no longer care about those things. It very much reminds me of the time I drove a Dodge Viper. Loud and missing comfort features, but terrifyingly fun. A good purchase.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 1, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helicity posted:

Thanks, but too late, I already bought it and picked it up! Mini review incoming:

The color scheme is weird: white top shell, black bezel, silver everything else. I've never had a gaming laptop before, so I'm slightly irritated at the futuristic font, the barrel connector power, the lack of thunderbolt, the lack of webcam, the key layout, how loud the fan is and how hot the keys get...

But then I compile some code, or play a game. This thing is a goddamned beast, and I no longer care about those things. It very much reminds me of the time I drove a Dodge Viper. Loud and missing comfort features, but terrifyingly fun. A good purchase.

Well things like Thundebolt are sort of downside Thunderbolt was a intel chipset/CPU future.

Another tip is the G14 does support the USB-C PD (Power-distribution) port up to 65W charging but the power brick is a much have for things like gaming.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Clevo made a loving 11900k laptop with dual 280W power bricks, the ultimate meme machine.

https://twitter.com/JarrodsTech/status/1387946871906201600?s=20

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MaxxBot posted:

Clevo made a loving 11900k laptop with dual 280W power bricks, the ultimate meme machine.

getting closer and closer to the laptop version of biff tannens rocket board imho

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MaxxBot posted:

My ideal laptop is basically a desktop with an integrated monitor.

I would buy something that uses this, basically.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Imagine unpacking this bad boy at the local coffee shop..

Hello Ladiessss!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

My ideal laptop is basically a desktop with an integrated monitor.

I would buy something that uses this, basically.

Kinda good news!

Weirdo 17.3" 3070 Alienware for under 1,500. I actually kinda like Alienware though they are usually hideously overpriced. These kinda deals are interesting.

Would need a new SSD but there are open m.2 bays available.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14993023-dell-alienware-m17-r4-17-3-fhd-gaming-laptop-rtx-3070-i7-10870h-16gb-256gb-1486?src=frontpage

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Kinda good news!

Weirdo 17.3" 3070 Alienware for under 1,500. I actually kinda like Alienware though they are usually hideously overpriced. These kinda deals are interesting.

Would need a new SSD but there are open m.2 bays available.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14993023-dell-alienware-m17-r4-17-3-fhd-gaming-laptop-rtx-3070-i7-10870h-16gb-256gb-1486?src=frontpage

That’s laptop parts though. I really do mean “a desktop with an attached screen”. And speakers, I guess.

All in ones come close except for the part where all the available ones are garbage. I’ve thought about building one in a pelican case with a hinge assembly I can put a monitor mount on but have been all :effort: about actually doing it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Hello Ladiessss!

https://i.imgur.com/41O5Gzm.mp4

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

etalian posted:

Hello Ladiessss!

Can't even hear the fans over the diesel generator parked outside!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got my MSI GL65 today, currently benchmarking it but I gotta say I am really liking the case, speakers and screen so far. It just feels really well made.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Quoting myself here.

A guy locally has one of these laptops for sale for $900. I think it sounds like a good deal, the main thing I can see is that it's only a 60hz screen while the legion and a lot of other gaming laptops are 144hz. Not sure how big of a deal that would be regardless.

Anyway, does sound like a decent deal?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quoting myself here.

A guy locally has one of these laptops for sale for $900. I think it sounds like a good deal, the main thing I can see is that it's only a 60hz screen while the legion and a lot of other gaming laptops are 144hz. Not sure how big of a deal that would be regardless.

Anyway, does sound like a decent deal?

Its ok. Is it new? Does it have a full warranty? You ok with a 17" screen? The 60hz I don't think is that big of a deal, especially with a 1660ti, but everyone differs.

$900 for a 1660ti and an old CPU doesn't strike me as a great deal, but there's not much out now to compare it to so it's kinda tough. If you can stretch to 1150-1200 you're in range of the Envy's with 3060s which I think are well worth the step up, but at $900 there just isn't much else.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lockback posted:

Its ok. Is it new? Does it have a full warranty? You ok with a 17" screen? The 60hz I don't think is that big of a deal, especially with a 1660ti, but everyone differs.

$900 for a 1660ti and an old CPU doesn't strike me as a great deal, but there's not much out now to compare it to so it's kinda tough. If you can stretch to 1150-1200 you're in range of the Envy's with 3060s which I think are well worth the step up, but at $900 there just isn't much else.

I would actually prefer a 17" screen, that's one of the selling points for me. If I could find a newer 17" in the 1200 range I may stretch the budget.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would actually prefer a 17" screen, that's one of the selling points for me. If I could find a newer 17" in the 1200 range I may stretch the budget.

You have Costco?
https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-raider-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2060---1080p.product.100568605.html

MSI is usually not as good as Asus, but this is a much better GPU, moderately better CPU and a weird double HDD thing I guess.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Starting watching Mr. InBetween based on someone's recommendation. It was nice to see Dewey Crowe pop up!

*Sorry, completely wrong thread but I stand by what I said!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 4, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

a weird double HDD thing I guess.

Looks like the pretty standard M.2 boot drive with a large platter drive for data. I've pretty much always ripped those out and replaced them with a SATA SSD when I get the laptop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Looks like the pretty standard M.2 boot drive with a large platter drive for data. I've pretty much always ripped those out and replaced them with a SATA SSD when I get the laptop.

Yeah, I meant weird more like "not very useful". I don't see those that much anymore thankfully. I guess a 1 TB HDD is better than no HDD, but yeah it's probably a quick rip unless you know you're going to keep a bunch of movies or whatever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I meant weird more like "not very useful". I don't see those that much anymore thankfully. I guess a 1 TB HDD is better than no HDD, but yeah it's probably a quick rip unless you know you're going to keep a bunch of movies or whatever.

Even if you’re going to keep a bunch of movies, I’d still pull it and stick it in an enclosure for the data/media stuff and replace it with an SSD. SSDs are like the best QoL upgrade for modern computers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
People still buy new machines with drives connected over SATA?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ilkhan posted:

People still buy new machines with drives connected over SATA?

Not like SATA is a bottleneck for the average user's workloads. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually have an M2 SATA drive and it's fine. Can't tell the difference.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually have an M2 SATA drive and it's fine. Can't tell the difference.

Yeah real world benchmarks haven't found much difference in SATA vs NMVE for things like gaming / boot-up times.

NVME does have a big advantage if you are moving really large files size like in media encoding applications.

Going from a mechanical drive to a SSD is the biggest real world performance improvement.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lockback posted:

Yea I thought about it some more and you're right.

So I found someone else locally selling a NIB Asus ROG with a 144hz 17" screen and a 2070 super, for $1250. I'd like a 3 series but I can't seem to really find them that cheap.

Unfortunately no I don't have Costco.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

So I found someone else locally selling a NIB Asus ROG with a 144hz 17" screen and a 2070 super, for $1250. I'd like a 3 series but I can't seem to really find them that cheap.

Pretty good price for that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a lot better. See my posts above about the 2070 and it being more of a "lives on a cooling pad" kinda machine but otherwise I think that's a better pickup.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lockback posted:

That's a lot better. See my posts above about the 2070 and it being more of a "lives on a cooling pad" kinda machine but otherwise I think that's a better pickup.

Yea if I end up with it I'm definitely going to pick up a cooling. Do those run off usb?

Edit: Actually after some quick reading, is it more important to just lift the laptop off the surface, don't necessarily need fans?

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 4, 2021

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Yea if I end up with it I'm definitely going to pick up a cooling. Do those run off usb?

Edit: Actually after some quick reading, is it more important to just lift the laptop off the surface, don't necessarily need fans?

The ones with fans in them are usually USB. Just raising it does help, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Best performing gaming laptop for ~$1500? Only thing they care about is performance since it's a desktop replacement.

Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6448936 ?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 4, 2021