Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

all meme material aside, are we in agreement that this scene looks pretty bad from an animation perspective?

You can see that they cut some corners. The funniest example is in episode 7 after The orbital laser fired (which looked amazing.) All the dead birds falling down afterwards drop like copy pasted tetris blocks with no real momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

on the topic of the animation, i figured it was done by studio mir, but according to wiki it's done by this company called T.A.P. which i can't find any additional info on. but regardless, whether or not the show is done by studio mir, it has that look that's pretty prominent among all the titles they worked on. this clean, but very generic look that i've seen in so many of their works that i'm a bit bored of it by this point, personally. i don't have much of an issue with the animation itself, but the character designs leave a bit to be desired. which is kind of interesting cause studio mir is an offshoot of JM animation, which did Avatar: TLA, a show whose characters had a lot more - for a lack of a better word - personality.

Angry-Alphs posted:

You can see that they cut some corners. The funniest example is in episode 7 after The orbital laser fired (which looked amazing.) All the dead birds falling down afterwards drop like copy pasted tetris blocks with no real momentum.

oh yeah, definitely noticed that part. soooo bad :lol:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Any Avatar show is going to need better animation because its magic relies on movements. There was an article explaining the whole deal but I can't find it

Earthbender stomps down, rock comes up, etc.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 3, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Invincible has really bad animation in my opinion. Every now and then you get a few seconds of "whoa, that was actually really good" but MOST of the show is just incredibly stiff and flat. With this said, it gets the job done and I enjoyed the season a lot

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If you like fighting and violence, then check out this classic of cinema, it's way better than John Wick or The Raid, and may even come close to matching Mob Psycho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlM6CSZDIc

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Piell posted:

I think Mob Psycho's actual animation is good but the characters look like poo poo to me and drags it down

It's based on ONE's art style, and while the man is a talented writer his artwork is terribly mediocre since he has no training in the fundamentals whatsoever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just realized Mark getting beaten up by Todd at the beginning is foreshadowing for the rest of the season.

hopefully this means the series ends with someone kicking Omni-man in the balls

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Both episode 1 and 8 feature Nolan train-ing Mark, what a lovely parallel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BurritoJustice posted:

:hmmyes:

Thinking about it maybe Mark should have named himself Indestructible, he can take a beating and still continue to live.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

on the topic of the animation, i figured it was done by studio mir, but according to wiki it's done by this company called T.A.P. which i can't find any additional info on. but regardless, whether or not the show is done by studio mir, it has that look that's pretty prominent among all the titles they worked on. this clean, but very generic look that i've seen in so many of their works that i'm a bit bored of it by this point, personally. i don't have much of an issue with the animation itself, but the character designs leave a bit to be desired. which is kind of interesting cause studio mir is an offshoot of JM animation, which did Avatar: TLA, a show whose characters had a lot more - for a lack of a better word - personality.

I've been rewatching Legend of Korra and I think Mir stuff has plenty of personality. Korra looks leaps and bounds better than Avatar's first season. By season 2 they were getting in the groove. Invincible might find its feet but the studio isn't being given any credit, Skybound is being referred to as the animation studio. I feel like this is one of those cases where the studio would like to try to cover up that outsourcing is happening but of course there's a bunch of korean names in the credits so can't do that so much.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Electric Phantasm posted:

:hmmyes:

Thinking about it maybe Mark should have named himself Indestructible, he can take a beating and still continue to live.

Vincible

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BurritoJustice posted:

Also he takes him to mount everest early on then later I believe that mountain gets hit so hard it splinters into a bunch of cracks, another nice contrast between their relationship.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

BurritoJustice posted:

Episode 8 features Nolan peeing his pants on purpose.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just binged this series over the weekend, and this stupid meme format kept popping up in my mind every time Darkblood was on screen:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I also just binged through it, and I'm curious if I should follow it up with The Boys series. I read a bit of the comic when it was posted in one of the comics threads and wasn't gone on it, but this series reminded me of it and I'm wondering if they're actually that similar beyond the superhero stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than both comics containing superheroes I don't see how they're really in any way similar. The Boys is about a bunch of hedonistic sociopath supers and the ragtag band of super-serum enhanced assholes trying to kill them off, Invincible is far more traditional superhero fare with heroes vs villains just with more gore (other than the parts that aren't)

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I also just binged through it, and I'm curious if I should follow it up with The Boys series. I read a bit of the comic when it was posted in one of the comics threads and wasn't gone on it, but this series reminded me of it and I'm wondering if they're actually that similar beyond the superhero stuff.

I think that The Boys does a really great job of humanizing the super heroes, we see that they are people with familiar trauma and aspirations. Doing good is not averting a global catastrophe but sleuthing out where the real evil even is to begin with, while Invincible sort of plays a lot with the gray area of 'not even human to begin with' and 'how bad can evil be if it does more good than harm?'

EDIT: I think the first season of One Punch Man would be a really good follow-up to Invincible.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 3, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The similarities are:
super heroes are real
Ultraviolence
Evil Superman (this isn't really a boys spoiler)

That's about it.

I recommend The Boys though

Edit: one punch man rules but its pretty different in tone from invincible or the boys

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Collapsing Farts posted:

Invincible has really bad animation in my opinion. Every now and then you get a few seconds of "whoa, that was actually really good" but MOST of the show is just incredibly stiff and flat. With this said, it gets the job done and I enjoyed the season a lot

Incredibly bad compared to what though? Besides some high points, anime in general is pretty poo poo tier animation quality . If your comparing it to stuff like Disney the budget difference is huge. Like you said it gets the job done and is animated well enough to add to the story instead of detract.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

pile of brown posted:

Edit: one punch man rules but its pretty different in tone from invincible or the boys

Definitely different tone, but if you like colorful supervillains popping up out of the ground, explaining their destiny to rule the world, defeating cops/the army/'lower rank superheroes' and then getting punched in the mouth once by the main character and admitting defeat, never to be seen again - One Punch Man is likely to give you some satisfaction. For a older, longer, more poorly animated version with ultraviolence - this is also the plot of almost every episode of the original Fist of the North Star series as well.

Of course everyone likes shows for different reasons and everyone has their own take on what a show actually does effectively so that's just some bit of a theme that I like that all three of these shows share.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Incredibly bad compared to what though?

Final Space? Also featuring the voice talent of one SY. It's good.
The Plague Dogs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collateral posted:

Final Space? Also featuring the voice talent of one SY. It's good.

Final Space is smoothly animated, but its writing isn't great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bigperm posted:

Definitely different tone, but if you like colorful supervillains popping up out of the ground, explaining their destiny to rule the world, defeating cops/the army/'lower rank superheroes' and then getting punched in the mouth once by the main character and admitting defeat, never to be seen again - One Punch Man is likely to give you some satisfaction. For a older, longer, more poorly animated version with ultraviolence - this is also the plot of almost every episode of the original Fist of the North Star series as well.

Of course everyone likes shows for different reasons and everyone has their own take on what a show actually does effectively so that's just some bit of a theme that I like that all three of these shows share.

Vaccine-Man always gets me

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've been reading the One Punch man webcomic and manga, which are both good in different ways, but never really bothered with the anime.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
One Punch Man is a comedy anime that makes fun of regular fightman Anime, but also incidentally has some of the most fun anime fights ever. So if you like light hearted fun action cartoons, watch it. Only season 1 is worth watching though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2OPUctni4

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 4, 2021

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
If I was smarter I'd write a comparison essay with Invincible, the Boys, Irredeemable and idk Alan Moore's Miracle Man to talk about the evil superman trope they share or something because they all approach it differently and I'm not sure which one I like better.

I know Invincible is about more than that ofc, the comic is pretty conventional outside of the hyperviolence.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the general gist of the comic/show is that you have a happier life not being a dick.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It feels like they are setting up Omni-man for a Darth Vader-esk turn to save the world at the sacrifice of himself at a later point.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

One Punch Man is a comedy anime that makes fun of regular fightman Anime, but also incidentally has some of the most fun anime fights ever. So if you like light hearted fun action cartoons, watch it. Only season 1 is worth watching though;

The (remake?) manga is particularly insane, since the artist Yusuke Murata spent obsessive amounts of time drawing.

examples (these are panels form the manga set into gifs):

more examples

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

One similarity is that they're both Goldberg/Rogen adaptations. You could probably argue up some common themes or something but what they really have in common is "good, entertaining series involving superheroes."

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Incredibly bad compared to what though? Besides some high points, anime in general is pretty poo poo tier animation quality . If your comparing it to stuff like Disney the budget difference is huge. Like you said it gets the job done and is animated well enough to add to the story instead of detract.

One thing I do know about anime is that they have a specific term for when the animation is good, because it's usually bad or cheap. If you're ever watching a show, notice how much "animation" is just the Ken Burns effect or mouths and eyes moving.

Also, I didn't think the animation looked that bad in Invincible - especially not compared to say, the AKOM-animated episodes of BTAS.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I read the comic years ago and liked most of it. I watched the show and I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this as I don't see any other threads on it but:

COMIC SPOILERS
The expanded stuff with Omni Man killing more people than the guardians leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The subway scene in particular. When omni man comes back and reunites with mark and reforms, I bought it in the comics. He killed the guardians for a reason as they'd be the ones to oppose the vulrtrimites. He didn't really kill much more people than that. However, him coming back after killing a loving subway full of people? That's too much. He only did this to prove how worthless humans are to himself and to Mark, which isn't great reason. He shouldn't get a do-over after murdering hundreds of people.
Other than that, I really enjoyed it.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 4, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

ughhhh posted:

The (remake?) manga is particularly insane, since the artist Yusuke Murata spent obsessive amounts of time drawing.

examples (these are panels form the manga set into gifs):

more examples

Wow. If those are actual comic panels it's very impressive how well they convert the action and movements into still pictures.

Edit:
Are there extra generated cells to make the motion that smooth or did they really draw like 8 scenes to show that landing?

Robobot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Murata is insane. In addition to drawing pages as if they're keyframes in an animation he also goes back to old pages to revise them constantly. Which means you might see the same page years separate and it'll be totally new drawings, it's just the latest published version of that volume switched the old pages for the redrawn ones because he didn't think the originals were up to snuff.

Or in some cases he just wants to make them hornier instead of retaining the original manga’s jokey approach to this character.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YusukeMurataArt/status/1376003476870864897

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 4, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Murata is the best workin' comic book artist in the world

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Monaghan posted:

I read the comic years ago and liked most of it. I watched the show and I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this as I don't see any other threads on it but:

COMIC SPOILERS
snip
I don't know if there are rules against posting images from the comic but he definitely killed a bunch of people while fighting Mark including in the subway.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 4, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zirtch/status/1389394606111043584

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Her Dryer posted:

If I was smarter I'd write a comparison essay with Invincible, the Boys, Irredeemable and idk Alan Moore's Miracle Man to talk about the evil superman trope they share or something because they all approach it differently and I'm not sure which one I like better.

I know Invincible is about more than that ofc, the comic is pretty conventional outside of the hyperviolence.

Don't forget Chronicle and Brightburn

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Monaghan posted:

COMIC SPOILERS
removed in quote

The difference between the comic and the show in that scene was all in how explicitly depicted Omin-man's murder spree was. He absolutely killed just as many people and had just as much disregard for human life in the comic. Here are the relevant pages (not spoilering since it already happened in the show):

Also, gonna strongly suggest that people DO NOT click on the original spoiler unless you've already read the whole comic as it's extra spoilery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LMAO